Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Problem with traction control in Z06 on track

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 04:24 PM
Egoncool
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Have you tried it in Race 1 yet? Just curious if the issue still persists if you do that. The way you describe it sounds like traction control intervention to me.
Have not and am reluctant especially in a new car. I do think it is the traction control but it shouldn’t be that intrusive. It is occurring at the top of second gear at 65-68 mph. Wheel is being unwound and throttle gradually applied. It’s not like I’m mashing it. Seems like it totally cuts power instead of slightly cutting back, but the car is totally stable. It’s not sliding. There is no need for such massive intrusion. I have 60 days at VIR. Probably over 2000 laps going through turn 1 and never experienced this in my C8 Stingray or Porsche Boxster.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:41 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Egoncool
Have not and am reluctant especially in a new car. I do think it is the traction control but it shouldn’t be that intrusive. It is occurring at the top of second gear at 65-68 mph. Wheel is being unwound and throttle gradually applied. It’s not like I’m mashing it. Seems like it totally cuts power instead of slightly cutting back, but the car is totally stable. It’s not sliding. There is no need for such massive intrusion. I have 60 days at VIR. Probably over 2000 laps going through turn 1 and never experienced this in my C8 Stingray or Porsche Boxster.
Every single lap at the same spots on track every time regardless of pace?

Does sound like something is off with the TC calibration to be honest. I would be trying it in different modes. With that many laps there I would not be overly concerned about switching to Race 1. I would just want to see if the problem is comparable in all modes. In areas of the track where you are more concerned about being in Race 1 I would just be more gentle with throttle application. I assume you are there again tomorrow? Are there any others there you can ride along in? Do you have the factory wheels you can put back on the car to see if it happens?

Does anyone here that has one and has been to VIR have any input? As you mentioned replication by the dealer will be a PITA.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:10 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 732 Likes on 482 Posts

Just put it in Race 1 for that turn and then go back to Sport. Seems like you’d know if that was the issue in a single lap with only one turn in Race 1.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:34 PM
C8gofast
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a track only C8 Z06 and had the same problem in PTM Sport . It improves in Race 1, but the nannies still intervene. I run Race 2 and it makes a huge difference in the performance of the car.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:48 PM
Vrrooom
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C8gofast
I have a track only C8 Z06 and had the same problem in PTM Sport . It improves in Race 1, but the nannies still intervene. I run Race 2 and it makes a huge difference in the performance of the car.
I ran into the same thing in my Z51. It was intervening too much unless in Race 2. Which yielded times much faster as well and did a great job with throttle rotation. Have not had a chance to take the Z06 on track.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:08 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Interesting. With a high horsepower cars I would agree with a slower mid-corner but look to have a little later apex than with a momentum car in order to straighten out the exit of the corner. I know you probably have more track experience with Corvettes than I do, but what I said I have found to be true for other high HP race cars.
Just to be sure, when I said apex earlier, I used the wrong term, I was using apex as the point of minimum speed and maximum lateral acceleration, then you start to add throttle and wisk by the actual apex (closest to the inside of the road) while laying on power.

You are also right about momentum cars taking a more classical line while higher HP cars want to lengthen the straight more than minimizing the cornering.
The following users liked this post:
AzDave47 (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 08:52 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,219 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
What are the exact sizes on the Toyo tires? How do you calculate the 4.2 ratio?

I usually get the diameter of each and compare front to back (that will give you a number like 0.9532 on the Z06, 26.5" front and 27.8" rear).
I didn't see an answer to my question from OP.

With softer compound tires the computer intervention will be more evident. With the current info, I would not rule out that scenario. The non-Z07 system is calibrated with street tires and the effect of a change in the ratio will be amplified with stickier tires.

AzDave47 commented the ratio is more commonly calculated in reverse order, i.e. 27.8/26.5 ~ 1.05 and gave a range of 1.03 - 1.07 as acceptable (instead of 26.5/27.8 ~ 0.9532). We are talking about +- 1.9% variation.

As pointed out by many, running in race 2 will answer if the computer intervention is the culprit (I suspect) or something else.

Old 11-29-2023, 04:48 PM
Electron Mike
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 92 Posts

When I say brief it’s only for a split second but the car stutters. It’s so quick that I’m not changing my inputs. It’s not like I’m backing out of the throttle, I’m continuing to add more throttle. Again it’s late in the exit phase with minimal wheel input.
I had the same problem in 2nd gear corner exits on track using PTM sport, very annoying and it unsettles the car. Moving to PTM race 2 eliminated the issue for me. You could also try competitive driving mode which still has stability control active with TC off to prove its the traction control in your situation. Competitive driving mode is only available in sport drive selector mode though with cars that have PTM, so the dampers will be set softer than race drive selector mode.
Old 11-29-2023, 05:10 PM
Egoncool
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Electron Mike
I had the same problem in 2nd gear corner exits on track using PTM sport, very annoying and it unsettles the car. Moving to PTM race 2 eliminated the issue for me. You could also try competitive driving mode which still has stability control active with TC off to prove its the traction control in your situation. Competitive driving mode is only available in sport drive selector mode though with cars that have PTM, so the dampers will be set softer than race drive selector mode.
I looked at some data and can’t find a problem. The rpm and speed traces are linear, but there is an intermittent seat of the pants stumble.
the other interesting thing is a round green light on the dash during track sessions. This is some sort of competitive driving mode that makes the tranny more aggressive. I never saw this in the stingray. I thought competitive mode was a non ptm mode, but I was in track ptm sport. Is this something new?
Old 11-29-2023, 05:53 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

I looked at some data and can’t find a problem. The rpm and speed traces are linear, but there is an intermittent seat of the pants stumble.
the other interesting thing is a round green light on the dash during track sessions. This is some sort of competitive driving mode that makes the tranny more aggressive. I never saw this in the stingray. I thought competitive mode was a non ptm mode, but I was in track ptm sport. Is this something new?
Page 89 of the 2023 OM:
Performance Transmission Active
This light turns green when:

. The vehicle is being driven in a spirited
manner and transmission shift points
have been altered to enhance the vehicle
behavior. See “Transmission Shift
Operation” under Driver Mode Control
0 208.
‐ For track driving events that require
standing starts, Performance
Transmission behavior can be activated
near a standstill by selecting Track
Mode > Performance Traction
Management (PTM) > Race 1 or Race 2.
You can also engage PTM using Z
mode, if PTM has been configured to
Race 1 or Race 2. See “Performance
Traction Management (PTM)” under
Driver Mode Control 0 208.
23/C8Z (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 06:07 PM
Electron Mike
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 92 Posts

I can see the sudden drop in acceleration in my track data, example below where acceleration G's dip and then climb back up during 2nd gear track out.

Last edited by Electron Mike; 11-29-2023 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:12 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,214 Likes on 6,018 Posts

Need data to give you an actual answer, or a PDR video, but most likely you're experiencing PTM. It cuts power and the engine makes a "brrrrrrrrr" fluttering noise (at least in the LT2). I haven't tracked my Z06 yet. VIR is my home track.

If I were betting, I'm guessing PTM sport is engaging traction control/PTM.
Old 11-29-2023, 06:32 PM
Mitchell_B
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 307 Posts

Why don't you shut the traction control off and see if the problem goes away?
m2man (11-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Problem with traction control in Z06 on track