Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Current C8Z06 owners (thoughts on ownership so far)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 05:31 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,035 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetterook
Second, mine has a pretty major fitment issue wherein the bottom portion of the passenger side of the black radiator grill isn’t flush-attached to the to the bottom portion of the front fascia. There’s about a quarter inch gap, and the tab on the fascia is clearly showing. I wouldn’t have accepted the car had I seen it prior to purchasing remotely and having it shipped directly to the PPF shop. Potentially an easy fix, but if the issue lies with the front fascia — a single piece comprising the entire front of the car — then Houston, we have a problem.
I have a similar issue. Its minor enough that I didn't even notice it until I had the car for a few weeks. Mine is where the drivers side brake cooling duct (the black piece) connects with the painted front bumper. Just seems like something wasn't snapped in place quite right at the factory. While its annoying, its not so bad that I'm going to take it to the dealer and have someone take the whole front of the car apart to deal with it (and potentially create new issues). Hopefully when I install my grille screens this weekend its an easy fix I can just take care of myself... like once I have the bottom panels out of the way I can just see where it snaps together and fix it.

Love this car though. Just got back from a drive in mostly Z mode with everything set to the highest level...lol this car is just insane. It has that character and experience that I was looking for.
Old 11-23-2023, 06:27 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,218 Likes on 6,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetterook
Hey guys. I’m about half-way through the 500-mile break-in but thought I’d share my quick thoughts. I’ll start with the two negatives.

First, I have a “ticker” LT6 and am none too pleased about it. My gut tells me we’re at the beginning of that story, with GM not really knowing or not wanting to divulge either the source of the problem or the implications for long-term engine durability or performance. I hope I’m wrong. If the ticking turns out to be a symptom of a major problem requiring engine replacement, I have little doubt GM will honor that requirement, but I’d hate to be in the same position as those who about 2014 GT3s and were forced to live with scarlet resale letter. I’m choosing to ignore my gut and look at the glass half full…

Second, mine has a pretty major fitment issue wherein the bottom portion of the passenger side of the black radiator grill isn’t flush-attached to the to the bottom portion of the front fascia. There’s about a quarter inch gap, and the tab on the fascia is clearly showing. I wouldn’t have accepted the car had I seen it prior to purchasing remotely and having it shipped directly to the PPF shop. Potentially an easy fix, but if the issue lies with the front fascia — a single piece comprising the entire front of the car — then Houston, we have a problem.

Some might be thinking, “other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”, but I remain hopeful — largely because of how much I like this car otherwise. So, on to the positives (in a preliminary sense, given my limited time with the car in break-in mode only).

Ride/handling. Although I haven’t gotten to wring out the LT6, I live in the Santa Monica mountains and get to spend lots of time on roads like Mulholland Highway with tight twisties that don’t require high-RPM pulls to get a sense of a car’s handling. Though not a small car, it definitely “drives small” in that it seems to shrink around you on the move, feels very nimble and changes direction very quickly, and has extreme grip without producing a feeling of excessive g-forces one gets with a large/heavy car with high roadholding limits (I’m thinking here of the GT350R or GT-R, or even R8 V10). Part of that stems from the cab forward layout and absence of visual mass looking forward. Ride quality is frankly amazing for a car with such extreme handling capability. I’m surprised some find it too stiff to daily — really surprised. The car is tolerable in track mode on the public roads around here, very pleasant in sport, and plush in tour. In my view, it’s most definitely GT car when you want it to be. Perhaps a little stiffer than the Stingray (I only owned my early-2020 for about 550 miles before selling it to someone who wanted to pay WAY more than I did), but in tour and even sport it’s more comfortable than most of the super sports cars/super sports sedans I’ve owned. A fantastic daily driver from a ride/handling standpoint.

Engine. I’m quite familiar with high-revving NA motors having experienced them in the GT350R, Ferrari 360 (and brief stints in the 430/458), R8 V10, and E90 M3, and knew from reading/watching seemingly hundreds of reviews that the magic really happens beyond 6K, so I wasn’t coming into this expecting a whole lot during the break-in phase. I can say I’ve been pleasantly surprised. The engine is quite tractable from the mid-2000s, and very responsive from the mid-3000s where the torque curve approaches its peak. Combine with the transmission and sound (more on those below), the break-in experience has been much more fun than I expected. Thus, in contrast to most other high-revving NA cars, this one feels race-car special all the time from a power train standpoint (provided you’ve got the engine/transmission and engine sound settings at sport mode levels or higher). You don’t need to be caning it to enjoy it, and that’s a huge plus to me.

Transmission. Overall I’m very happy with the DCT. Up- and down-shifts are both lightning fast, and from the brief time spent in auto mode it’s clearly very smooth in that setting. My only issue thus far is a bit of inconsistency on rev-matching during lower speed downshifts. This is particularly true of the 3-2 shift, where it sometimes feels as though the revs don’t spike enough to avoid a herky-jerk. This doesn’t seem to be the case when downshifting from above 3.5K revs, but because I’m addicted to downshifting this car I do it at even lower revs just to hear the blip. I wish it were smoother in that regard, and perhaps it will evolve in that direction as I break it in. Would be interested to hear others’ opinion on the matter.

Sound. Even below 6K revs, where I’ve “lived” thus far, this car sounds incredible in sport or track mode-level settings. By far the most exotic, race-car like sound I’ve experienced and just nuts for a stock exhaust. The pops on the overrun, the crack at higher-RPM upshift, and the ferocious blips on downshift, sound at once both spectacular and organic — in stark contrast to almost every other new car sold today. This works in combination with the motor to deliver excitement even during break-in. I can’t frippin wait to experience this car from 6K to redline, where she really wants to be. It really does come across as what one would expect a “558 Italia” to sound like had Ferrari not abandoned the NA V8 and simply increased displacement from 4.5 to 5.5 liters. Bravo, GM.

Tech. Put simply, this car has everything I want in terms of infotainment and creature comforts and nothing I don’t. Love it.

Now I’m gonna go drive her…
Originally Posted by smithers
I have a similar issue. Its minor enough that I didn't even notice it until I had the car for a few weeks. Mine is where the drivers side brake cooling duct (the black piece) connects with the painted front bumper. Just seems like something wasn't snapped in place quite right at the factory. While its annoying, its not so bad that I'm going to take it to the dealer and have someone take the whole front of the car apart to deal with it (and potentially create new issues). Hopefully when I install my grille screens this weekend its an easy fix I can just take care of myself... like once I have the bottom panels out of the way I can just see where it snaps together and fix it.

Love this car though. Just got back from a drive in mostly Z mode with everything set to the highest level...lol this car is just insane. It has that character and experience that I was looking for.
I had the same issue… the blue tabs on the main fascia are too weak to snap into the grill. I pulled the underbody panels to inspect and attempt a fix. The standard GM fix would be to replace the bumper and paint it. No way… so at my first service I asked the tech to see if he could figure out something that didn’t involve removing the bumper or going to the body shop. If not, I would deal with it when installing radiator screens. They fished a small Zip tie through tab to maintain the upper pressure and it’s been fine for 400 miles now. Disappointing, but better than a bumper replacement and non-factory paint,

Before repair…

The NCM didn’t catch it at PDI, but looking at my delivery pics it was this way and I got them to sign a doc as such “NCM PDI issue form” so my dealer worked on it under warranty. Without that form they’d have refused.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 11-23-2023 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2023, 06:32 PM
Vetterook
Instructor

Received 216 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
I had the same issue… the blue tabs on the main fascia are too weak to snap into the grill. I pulled the underbody panels to inspect and attempt a fix. The standard GM fix would be to replace the bumper and paint it. No way… so at my first service I asked the tech to see if he could figure out something that didn’t involve removing the bumper or going to the body shop. If not, I would deal with it when installing radiator screens. They fished a small Zip tie through tab to maintain the upper pressure and it’s been fine for 400 miles now. Disappointing, but better than a bumper replacement and non-factory paint,

Before repair…
Very similar to my issue indeed. Just dog-doo build quality there. Thanks for sharing. Do you have pics showing the fix?
Old 11-23-2023, 06:43 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I don’t… once you get in there and see how it works, it’ll make sense. I haven’t even looked since getting it back as I’m waiting on aero bits, but the trick is to creat upward pressure on the blue center tab.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:00 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Before repair…

The NCM didn’t catch it at PDI, but looking at my delivery pics it was this way and I got them to sign a doc as such “NCM PDI issue form” so my dealer worked on it under warranty. Without that form they’d have refused.
Yep, thats it. Mine isn't quite as bad, but its the same deal (can't see those blue tabs on mine). Looks like I'll be buying a pack of zip ties before I do the grille screens this weekend. Good to know there is a "fix" that doesn't involve something I really don't want to do (bumper replacement and paint).
Old 11-23-2023, 07:16 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I was pushing back for that pic… At rest it looked like this…

The following users liked this post:
smithers (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:25 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Identical then haha. Just left the house and almost snapped a pic to post on the way out. It would have looked just like your pic.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:32 PM
Vetterook
Instructor

Mine looks worse at rest, and I can’t live with either how it is currently or any sort of non-factory paintwork on a new bumper.

RapidC84B (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 08:32 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

At least I’m not alone :p
Old 11-23-2023, 08:37 PM
Vetterook
Instructor

At least I’m not alone :p
No you’re not. Really cool car, but build quality just not where it needs to be at the >130K level.
Old 11-23-2023, 09:29 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 399 Posts

I'll post this here instead of creating a thread because I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned somewhere. Grassroots Motorsports has an article in this month's edition that declares the Z06 the new "King of the Hill". They declare it the fastest car they have ever tested at their official test track, the 1.55 mile Florida International Rally and Motorsport track. They do a side by side comparison with the Z51 showing acceleration and deceleration rates for each corner - pretty interesting. Here is a link to a trailer for the article, but I think you have to be a GRM member to view it online. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...06-track-test/ Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere - I just couldn't find it.

BTW, I am very happy with my 1LZ Z07. No issues whatsoever after a little over 2000 miles. Love it on track.
The following 4 users liked this post by mfain:
23/C8Z (11-23-2023), capevettes (11-26-2023), LE MANSZ (11-24-2023), smithers (11-24-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 01:55 AM
Blue68427
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, keep SR. Z is a toy. I like it, but it in my opinion is pure toy, boppin around town it is great, but commuter or similar no. I regret selling my SR, great road car. But I do not regret getting the Z.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:24 AM
GmdVT
Burning Brakes

Received 681 Likes on 229 Posts

Finally hit 500 miles what a beast, I still maintain in tour mode it's perfectly fine as a daily driver but then again im use to daily driving in DC traffic for 25 years and I hate myself, I have MyMode setup for stealth and use that for entering and exiting my parking garage, it's still loud just not obnoxiously loud
RapidC84B (11-25-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 09:52 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 732 Likes on 482 Posts

Coming from a GT4, this ticking concern seems overblown. The GT4 engine is a cacophony of mostly unpleasant sounds that only become vaguely pleasurable over 4k rpm. Driving slow around my community was an embarrassing mixture of rattles, buzzes and ticks that may be construed as ‘race car-esque’ but frankly sucked.
The following 3 users liked this post by spearfish25:
adamsocb (11-26-2023), Michael A (12-02-2023), Thunder22 (11-27-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 12:30 AM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Regrets

Originally Posted by Shokosugi
Your situation sucks and you are understandably upset, but it’s hardly the norm. The car has been great for many owners. I don’t think we all need to take on the chicken little mentality.
Z06 has been a huge disappointment.
I feel like a fool for paying $160,000 for a car that broke down at 89 miles. DONT PAY OVER WINDOW.
RiptideHTC (11-27-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 09:39 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossofiron
Z06 has been a huge disappointment.
I feel like a fool for paying $160,000 for a car that broke down at 89 miles. DONT PAY OVER WINDOW.
that's your experience so far. How will you feel when you get the car back and you fall in love with it? Thats your emotions right now. I'm sure you're old enough to realize that things happen from time to time. Think about how many parts and connections electrical fluid etc gaskets from rtv etc etc are in these cars.

Yeah its a crap shoot. Same for every other car except the more advanced the car the more likelihood that there will be an issue at some point.

None of my vettes have been without issue. the quality of this generation blows away everything before it.

Hopefully your car is fixed soon and you can report back how it wasn't the end of the world.
LE MANSZ (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 04:02 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
I'll go.

Honestly I don't consider anything "bad" about the car but for the sake of comparison:

GOOD
- The car looks amazing. It corrected all of the questionable lines on the SR (especially rear fender).
- The car sounds amazing when in Sport or Race mode (or Z mode if set up the way mine is ).
- Tune-ability of the different modes.
- The wheels are 1000 x better than the SR wheels. No need to run out and get aftermarket right away. To me, the SR started to look cheesy, making aftermarket wheels a must.
- It seems they've made things such as launch control much easier to engage
Power. This one is tricky. Let's move on to the bad.

BAD
- Power/Torque curve. Lets's cut to the chase. WHEN you start to feel the HP comes super high in the RPM range which is not very usable on the street (outside of breaking the law lol). If you track the Z06, I'm sure it's amazing. If you only drive on the street, you REALLY have to be honest with yourself about when you want to "feel it". I've learned that I am more of a low-end torque guy. I've had FPC engines in the past (most recently being my GT350). I was concerned with the Z06 feeling slower in the low-mid RPM range...and IT DOES. Difference in the past was I could manually shift the gears which added to the fun. Sure, you can do manual mode...not the same as a manual.
- Offset of the rear wheels. The sunk in look is really bad and takes away from some of the awesomeness of the rear being wider. I'll fix that once the paragon wheel spacers are available.
- Not a huge deal but you will have to clean out the little rocks from the scoops on the side and in the rear (behind the back tire).
- Although I love the sound, sometimes it sounds inauthentic. I can't really explain this, lol.
- Since it's a Chevy, you're going to notice some panels that aren't well-placed. Unfortunately, when you pay $160K for a car, you expect better but...it's still a Chevy.

Overall it's a great car. But do really think about the power band. I don't launch it so the "push you back into your seat" torque that I've seen in reviews is kinda questionable. Never has the car given me THAT feeling. It's a very smooth, linear power band which is expected.

No, Im not going to move to an ERay lol. If I decide to move on, it will be a different brand altogether. But right now (1,000 miles in), I still love the car.
appreciate this input. I went from a C6z to a c7z. The c7z felt lazy to me up top compared to the C6z. Until finally getting the intercooler bled properly. I do miss the higher rpm rush of the C6z. The c8z should bring that back and more.

Get notified of new replies

To Current C8Z06 owners (thoughts on ownership so far)

Old 12-01-2023, 08:48 PM
MAXXPSI
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer
I have the HTC! I can say the back window that goes down is the ultimate cheat code.
Even when I had a SR HTC vs my SR coupe, the back window + insulated engine makes the car sound much better.
In the Z06 it's INSANE!
Was waiting for someone to mention that - the HTC rear window is basically a drone delete for me. In the low RPM range where you can get drone with the exhaust set to loud, I can drop the rear window and it sounds perfect (subjective, but its my .02)
improviz (12-01-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 06:07 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

When I open/close the door, I noticed a "sticky glue" kind of noise, sounded kind of like instead of lube in hinges they put glue and it's half dried kind of sound. I didn't have that in my 2022 Z51 or any other cars. Do you guys have that sound? I went to passenger door and tried it and it also has the same sound. (Car is brand new I just got it not too long ago)

Passenger side's upholstery fabric under armrest I think at factory some glue dropped onto the fabric, and worker just finger picked it off, you can see there is a picked hole and some glue near the hole! This isn't a good picture because of the angle but you can see a little bit of it. https://i.imgur.com/a6eYvsJ.jpg

Both doors' fitment are really bad, I can see it visually and feel it with my finger (the door section that's closest to you when you open the door) and it's like that on both doors, other fitment in other sections it's sometimes flush sometimes off. The same with frunk some part it's ok some part you can feel it's off. Do you guys have the same problem too? wonder if dealer can adjust it or just leave it as is. There are so many fitments that's off.

The build quality is so bad!! like dog-doo as someone said. Unbelievable since this is a six digits MSRP car. After break-in we also gotta worry about the engine ticking noise if we got it, DCT leaking problem too.

(I picked it up from my courtesy dealer, but in mychevrolet.com the warranty started around 10 day before that, I should go with the site and not the date that I picked it up I guess?)

Old 12-02-2023, 09:53 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Sorry not mine. Some times I think either I got really REALLY lucky or you guys got really REALLY screwed 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Blue68427 (12-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Current C8Z06 owners (thoughts on ownership so far)