Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Z06 insurance premiums

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 06:35 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,250 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Added my Z to my policy last week.

It only raised about 150 more per month. Not terrible. I think i pay a bit more for my M3. But my agent said it's because of the recent increase of car theft for BMW's.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:46 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,278 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Panfish
My 2020 Stingray was insured with NCM (American Modern) for $1K giving me 6000 miles/year. Didn’t come close. My Z06 they want $2600+. The valuation is 30% higher, but the premium is 60% higher, so unfortunately I’ll be pulling the ejection handle on NCM. Hagerty was $500 cheaper and Grundy another $300 lower for no milage limit (don’t really need it). Any positive/negative experiences with either Hagerty or Grundy?
I switched from NCM (American Modern) to Grundy for my Callaway Carbon Edition Z06. NCM changed the premium multiple times from what they quoted me in writing, after verifying their quote multiple times. The premium increased at renewal and they wouldn't insure the vehicle for the value I wanted. 3k/mi, $500 deductible, premium they wanted was $1,500/yr for $65k value.

Grundy (Philadelphia Insurance) insured the vehicle for $85k no questions asked. $0 deductible, no mileage or use restrictions, no increase in premium at renewal. Premium is $1,061/yr. With recent sales of Carbon Z06s, and the significant rarity of a Callaway version (only 3), I'll be increasing that value soon.

In my area insurances rates climbed this summer. My other 3 vehicles and my home are with State Farm and our premiums increased by 25%. I shopped around all major carriers and our SF premiums are still 50% less than all other quotes we received - which is ridiculous. 47/37 yrs old, 830+ credit, no accidents but a couple not at fault claims in the last few years ($2k on my wife's previous Grand Cherokee & $4500 on my BMW, both were hit by road debris) and a roof claim/replacement within the last 4 years.

You can also add your other vehicles and home to a Grundy policy, but the rates they quoted me weren't any better than State Farm, so we just kept that policy.
The following users liked this post:
Panfish (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 02:06 PM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1,455 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I switched from NCM (American Modern) to Grundy for my Callaway Carbon Edition Z06. NCM changed the premium multiple times from what they quoted me in writing, after verifying their quote multiple times. The premium increased at renewal and they wouldn't insure the vehicle for the value I wanted. 3k/mi, $500 deductible, premium they wanted was $1,500/yr for $65k value.

Grundy (Philadelphia Insurance) insured the vehicle for $85k no questions asked. $0 deductible, no mileage or use restrictions, no increase in premium at renewal. Premium is $1,061/yr. With recent sales of Carbon Z06s, and the significant rarity of a Callaway version (only 3), I'll be increasing that value soon.

In my area insurances rates climbed this summer. My other 3 vehicles and my home are with State Farm and our premiums increased by 25%. I shopped around all major carriers and our SF premiums are still 50% less than all other quotes we received - which is ridiculous. 47/37 yrs old, 830+ credit, no accidents but a couple not at fault claims in the last few years ($2k on my wife's previous Grand Cherokee & $4500 on my BMW, both were hit by road debris) and a roof claim/replacement within the last 4 years.

You can also add your other vehicles and home to a Grundy policy, but the rates they quoted me weren't any better than State Farm, so we just kept that policy.
Thanks for the info. It helps a lot.
JABCAT (10-03-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 11:18 PM
Panduh
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I got quoted for $850/y premium - stated value of $221k - 34 years old and no accidents or claims in the last 10 years, no speeding tickets in the last 5 years
Old 10-05-2023, 11:30 PM
348SStb
Instructor

Location: Palm Beach County, FL and Pickens County, SC originally from Long Island, NY
Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Panduh
I got quoted for $850/y premium - stated value of $221k - 34 years old and no accidents or claims in the last 10 years, no speeding tickets in the last 5 years
State? Ins co?
Propspinner (10-07-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 11:56 AM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JABCAT

Grundy beat NCM by $800, but the limits are a deal breaker. Technically, you can’t even drive it to the store, only joy rides, car shows, not to work or ANY form of daily driving. I asked specifically about usage. Not using the car as a DD, but their policy is nothing that a DD would do. Looks like Hagerty is the front runner right now which is $500 cheaper than NCM but 5,000 miles vs. 6,000 which is fine. Still foraging for nuts and berries though…
Old 10-06-2023, 01:13 PM
Jmcdude
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 294 Posts

I don’t have a Z yet but I got a VIN for a new 2023 off a dealer website similar to the msrp of my build ($130k). I gave it to my SF agent and got an immediate quote. Not bad considering I have 2 college students listed on my policy. Unfortunately they can’t be excluded from any vehicle otherwise my rate would be about $200 less. My stingray rate is $485 for 6mo. Z would be $665 for 6 mo.

Last edited by Jmcdude; 10-06-2023 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:08 AM
ncminsurance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 299 Likes on 102 Posts

My 2020 Stingray was insured with NCM (American Modern) for $1K giving me 6000 miles/year. Didn’t come close. My Z06 they want $2600+. The valuation is 30% higher, but the premium is 60% higher, so unfortunately I’ll be pulling the ejection handle on NCM. Hagerty was $500 cheaper and Grundy another $300 lower for no milage limit (don’t really need it). Any positive/negative experiences with either Hagerty or Grundy?
We are able to write your car through Hagerty if you would like.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:24 AM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jmcdude
I don’t have a Z yet but I got a VIN for a new 2023 off a dealer website similar to the msrp of my build ($130k). I gave it to my SF agent and got an immediate quote. Not bad considering I have 2 college students listed on my policy. Unfortunately they can’t be excluded from any vehicle otherwise my rate would be about $200 less. My stingray rate is $485 for 6mo. Z would be $665 for 6 mo.

I investigated State Farm too as they insure my daily drivers, but there is a catch to those low premiums (what I was told). Check with your agent, but mine said they won’t insure the car’s value to a stated amount or a purchase price, but with depreciation. If your $130K car gets totaled, you’ll only get a percentage of that purchase price the minute you leave the dealer’s lot. I realize that if this car gets totaled, it is essentially irreplaceable for at least several years, unless I pay over MSRP and take an “off the rack” spec, so I want at least what I paid for it until it is functionally replaceable.
Jmcdude (10-07-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 09:33 AM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ncminsurance
We are able to write your car through Hagerty if you would like.
I didn’t know that. When I upgraded from my C8 stingray I was told a figure of about $1500 or so which made sense as the valuation was the only thing that changed (or so I thought) both reflecting about a 30% or so increase (identical policy, just more expensive car). My premium arrived and I was shocked it was a 60% increase or double what I was told. I thought there must be some error and called NCM and the nice gal told me she also thought it should be about $1500, but transferred me to someone else (American Modern?).

They told me that my 60% increase premium was correct as anything over 500HP is considered in a different risk category, thus the whopping increase. I’ve already done the legwork with Hegarty and Grundy though with quotes, so don’t see what NCM could do for me now. Am I missing something? Still haven’t made a decision on my next move and looking for all available info though.
Old 10-07-2023, 12:38 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,200 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by vader86
Don't go with Progressive, ever. Just don't.

If you're willing to live with some restrictions, NCM is good. Hagerty seems to be loosening the stupid restrictions they used to have.
The limitations on NCM aren't as restrictive as everyone makes them out to be. You can't use the Corvette as a daily driver replacement (i.e. taking it directly to/from the grocery store on a rainy day), but you are allowed incidental use (i.e. out for a drive on a nice day, and need to stop by the grocery store for a few items). I've read the policy thoroughly and got this in writing from NCM. It's exactly the same type of coverage that Grundy has (I've had them as well).

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Do the good rates allow more than a few thousand miles per year?
Yes, up to 6K listed, and you can buy additional miles if you're going to need them. On our SR, we were going to over for a club trip to Colorado, so I added an extra 2K miles for under $100.

Sad to hear that. I've seen the same thing in the past with my C6 ZR1, started off cheaper with NCM, then it jumped a crazy amount so I switched it to Grundy. I've had claims (small) on both Grundy and NCM, and both were super easy to deal with and quick to pay. I've yet to try Hagerty, as at least for me, they have always been way higher than either NCM or Grundy.

Grundy beat NCM by $800, but the limits are a deal breaker. Technically, you can’t even drive it to the store, only joy rides, car shows, not to work or ANY form of daily driving. I asked specifically about usage. Not using the car as a DD, but their policy is nothing that a DD would do. Looks like Hagerty is the front runner right now which is $500 cheaper than NCM but 5,000 miles vs. 6,000 which is fine. Still foraging for nuts and berries though…
This is incorrect. The Grundy & NCM don't allow for "daily driver use", but they do allow for incidental use when out for a pleasure drive (i.e. stopping at the store for a few items). What none of them want to see (including Hagerty), is using the car as a daily driver replacement. So basically my example above: it's a rainy day and you drive the Corvette directly to/from the grocery store for your normal weekly/monthly shopping trip to buy several hundred dollars in groceries. If it's a nice day and the wife and I want to go for a drive in the Corvette, and she wants to stop somewhere and shop for shoes, we are absolutely covered with any of them as that is "pleasure" use. NCM does offer an exception policy for driving to work (but it adds cost), Grundy does not (although again if it's "incidental" you'd be covered, and my agent in the past for Grundy said 1 or 2 times a month wouldn't be an issue), and I'm honestly not sure about Hagerty (but I'd advise you check the policy document closely before signing). Basically, any agreed value collector policy is going to require you to have a daily driver and not use the Corvette as a daily driver.
Old 10-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
The limitations on NCM aren't as restrictive as everyone makes them out to be. You can't use the Corvette as a daily driver replacement (i.e. taking it directly to/from the grocery store on a rainy day), but you are allowed incidental use (i.e. out for a drive on a nice day, and need to stop by the grocery store for a few items). I've read the policy thoroughly and got this in writing from NCM. It's exactly the same type of coverage that Grundy has (I've had them as well).

Yes, up to 6K listed, and you can buy additional miles if you're going to need them. On our SR, we were going to over for a club trip to Colorado, so I added an extra 2K miles for under $100.

Sad to hear that. I've seen the same thing in the past with my C6 ZR1, started off cheaper with NCM, then it jumped a crazy amount so I switched it to Grundy. I've had claims (small) on both Grundy and NCM, and both were super easy to deal with and quick to pay. I've yet to try Hagerty, as at least for me, they have always been way higher than either NCM or Grundy.

This is incorrect. The Grundy & NCM don't allow for "daily driver use", but they do allow for incidental use when out for a pleasure drive (i.e. stopping at the store for a few items). What none of them want to see (including Hagerty), is using the car as a daily driver replacement. So basically my example above: it's a rainy day and you drive the Corvette directly to/from the grocery store for your normal weekly/monthly shopping trip to buy several hundred dollars in groceries. If it's a nice day and the wife and I want to go for a drive in the Corvette, and she wants to stop somewhere and shop for shoes, we are absolutely covered with any of them as that is "pleasure" use. NCM does offer an exception policy for driving to work (but it adds cost), Grundy does not (although again if it's "incidental" you'd be covered, and my agent in the past for Grundy said 1 or 2 times a month wouldn't be an issue), and I'm honestly not sure about Hagerty (but I'd advise you check the policy document closely before signing). Basically, any agreed value collector policy is going to require you to have a daily driver and not use the Corvette as a daily driver.
You are contradicting what the Grundy rep told me. I asked specifically about this including examples. I can only go on what an insurance rep tells me, not a forum “expert”. I will talk to them again and get another explanation to verify. I have my AM policy, and quotes with basic coverage info from Grundy and Hagerty, but the details matter. As for DD usage, I believe I was clear on that. NCM has had my stingray policy for almost 4 years with similar restrictions, so I’m familiar with language.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:18 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,200 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

You are contradicting what the Grundy rep told me. I asked specifically about this including examples. I can only go on what an insurance rep tells me, not a forum “expert”. I will talk to them again and get another explanation to verify. I have my AM policy, and quotes with basic coverage info from Grundy and Hagerty, but the details matter. As for DD usage, I believe I was clear on that. NCM has had my stingray policy for almost 4 years with similar restrictions, so I’m familiar with language.
I'm certainly not telling you to do something you're uncomfortable with, but I would encourage you to read the policy for yourself and not rely on what reps state. Verbal communications by sales reps are worthless and have no legal standing. The actual written policy is pretty clear:
Grundy policy language from about 3 years ago:
It is agreed and understood that the following definition is added to the policy: "Collector vehicle" means an "antique" or "special interest" private passenger auto or motorcycle that:
1. Is maintained solely for use in exhibitions, parades, club activities, or other functions of public interest
2. Is not used for regular driving to work, school, errands, shopping, general transportation, secondary or back-up transportation, business or commercial purposes, except for limited pleasure use.
Grundy quote/application from earlier this year:
​​​​​​​USE:
1. My vehicle(s) will be used on a limited basis consistent with the operation of a collectible vehicle such as occasional pleasure drives and club/hobby activities.
2. My vehicles(s) will not be used frequently for regular driving such as driving to and from work or school, shopping, errands, general transportation, or back-up use.
The key words are "regular" and "frequently". Those qualifiers directly imply that limited/incidental use is ok when combined with "pleasure use". I can tell you from the claim I had with Grundy (cracked wheel from a pothole causing a tire failure and fender damage), that they didn't even ask where I was going to/from, they just sent an adjuster out to inspect the damage and paid the claim. AM/NCM was a little more detailed on a recent claim (rock cracking windshield), asking what the mileage was at the incident, where we were going, and what our daily driver vehicles were, but once they had that, a picture and quote from the dealer, they immediately issued a check.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:45 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,278 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I've read my policy documents front to back several times and don't have those restrictions
Old 10-08-2023, 12:46 AM
Panduh
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
State? Ins co?
I live in Westerville Ohio and use Cincinnati Insurance
Old 10-08-2023, 06:47 AM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

I appreciate the responses. Of course, I will see what the present policy language reads before selecting an insurer.
Old 10-09-2023, 03:48 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Yep….when we moved all cars to Lake Havasu. Az from So Cal., insurance is less than half. With the recent new increases in Cali, it is 3 fold more than Az……

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 insurance premiums

Old 10-09-2023, 03:50 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jridden
I asked my local AAA branch in Southern California. No tickets in 15 years, old enough, 3 other cars. They wanted 4500$
AAA is ridiculously expense. Insane. progressive is who I ended up with.
Old 10-13-2023, 06:02 PM
GmdVT
Burning Brakes

Received 681 Likes on 229 Posts

I was just quoted 2140 a year for both my 2019 Jetta GLI and my Z06 with Erie, I’m inside the DC beltway so not bad imo
Old 10-13-2023, 07:20 PM
FL-355
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Again, depends where you live. With Geico there was a $400 yr price increase compared to my C8. Decided to go with Grundy for a few hundred more because of agreed value, which GEICO does not do. This is a special car and a keeper for me, so well worth it.

Quick Reply: Z06 insurance premiums