Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

New Z06 problems first day

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 09:49 PM
Mitchell_B
Pro

Received 580 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
That's a good idea. If in six months you still don't like the car, depending on what you paid for it, you can probably sell it for a profit.

I admit I am not a fan of Bowling Green's quality. I can't believe that after years, they are still shipping cars with headlights that don't fit, and later the paint peels around them on the poor owner. That's disgraceful.

Maybe GM should just contract with Toyota to build the Corvette in one of their non-union plants.
We have given everything else away in this country, why not union jobs? I am not a fan of unionized labor, but I have worked with some of the most powerful and politically connected labor forces and what I will tell you is that ultimately, the responsibility for turning out a quality product lies in the hands of management. If the people running General Motors cannot get their work force to make a good product, then they are as much a failure as the unions.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mitchell_B:
carnutsx2 (10-01-2023), danm1 (08-12-2023), improviz (09-29-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:24 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
Service manager from the dealership called me up today and told me the car had a blown left shock assembly, so it was hydraulic oil that I was seeing all over my driveway. The lift system is integral to the shock hydraulic assembly, so he said that's why the
Front lift was inoperable. They are also experiencing the same problems I was having with the car not responding to key FOB commands. They're a bit stumped over that one. Biggest problem is he said they cannot get a new front shock assembly anytime soon so the car could be there for weeks or even months. Already spoke to my attorney, he said if that's the case with the car being laid up that long then we'll have no problem with a strong Lemon law case against GM. I live in New Jersey and the Lemon laws here are tough on manufacturers. If the car is laid up in the repair shop for twenty days in aggregate (it doesn't have to be continuous and doesn't matter the issue) then the car automatically, under New Jersey law, can be classified as a Lemon. GM served me up this POS of a car, so I'm not just going to sit back and have an expensive vehicle that I can't even drive. I will pursue this legally.
Quite right. There are many great cars out there to drive, life is short, and at these prices, stuff should be sorted out and not in the "Tesla Beta Test" stage. I think you got really bad luck on this car, compared to other C8Zs, but I would not keep any car that had this many issues. The only way GM will learn to QC their cars is them getting the junk back that they produced by return mail.
Old 08-06-2023, 09:34 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchell_B
We have given everything else away in this country, why not union jobs? I am not a fan of unionized labor, but I have worked with some of the most powerful and politically connected labor forces and what I will tell you is that ultimately, the responsibility for turning out a quality product lies in the hands of management. If the people running General Motors cannot get their work force to make a good product, then they are as much a failure as the unions.
Quality definitely lies in the hands of management, but union workers can easily thwart management's best efforts. Those efforts will never be implemented to their potential by union workers. You can't fire a plant union worker for poor work. You can't monetarily reward other plant union workers for good work. They know it, and many act accordingly. I have firsthand experience.
The following 4 users liked this post by Michael A:
Gardinerm (08-07-2023), LE MANSZ (08-07-2023), Propspinner (09-29-2023), Schuee (10-01-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 04:42 PM
improviz
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I have Boxster GTS 4.0 2022. Had a 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 2021. Have had zero issues. It’s a great car: I recommend it.

I also took delivery of a brand new Z06 yesterday. Fortunately, no issues (thus far).

The idea of folks impeaching the Porsche brand in general or its reliability in the context of recent Z06 issues is absurd.

Porsche is the most reliable car in the world. Period. There’s nothing to discuss here.
What is absurd is saying that Porsche is the most reliable car in the world, period. Porsche 991.1 GT3 engine issues per Road & Track, in a story about a guy who just had his FOURTH engine blow:

Story:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...ails-on-track/

Video of fourth engine dying:

Problems with the 991.1 GT3’s 3.8-liter engine were apparent right from the start. Shortly after the release of the car, Porsche issued a recall for all GT3 models in March 2014. That notice came as a result of loosened screw joints on the connecting rods. The issue ultimately caused two cars to suffer engine fires. Porsche replaced the engine in all 785 GT3s built up until that point, and adjusted the design to prevent further issues. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the last time Porsche recalled the car for engine issues. Just a year later, 12 more GT3 received entirely new engines after a valvetrain issue related to finger followers was discovered. Porsche then revealed an extended warranty offer for all 991.1 GT3 owners, which was set to last 10 years or 120,000 miles.

Porsche IMS bearing failures:

The intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing in Porsche 911 and Boxster models from 1997 to 2005 has a high failure rate. The bearing's design and construction can lead to premature failure, which can cause catastrophic engine failure.

The only early warning sign of IMS bearing failure is the presence of metal shavings in the oil or oil filter. Other signs include:

• Knocking or grinding sounds from the motor
  • Oil leaks
  • Metallic shards in the oil filter
IMS bearing failure can happen at any time. Some bearings have failed after only 3,000 miles, while others have lasted for 200,000 miles or more. Failure can be unpredictable and can be due to a combination of causes.

A failed IMS bearing can lead to catastrophic engine damage and costly repairs, making it essential to be aware of the issue and take necessary precautions.

When the IMS bearing fails, it results in a loss of camshaft timing that can cause severe damage to the engine, including bent valves and debris.

718 GT4 engine recall:

Recall date

2021-03-23

Recall no.

21V200000

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain 2021 Porsche Cayman GT4, Cayman GTS 4.0, 718 Spyder, and Boxster GTS 4.0 vehicles. The engine connecting rods may crack and loosen.

Recall consequence

A loose connection while driving may cause engine damage, a stall, or an oil leak, increasing the risk of a crash or fire.

Recall action

Porsche will notify owners, and dealers will replace the connecting rods or, as necessary, the engine, free of charge. Owner notification letters were mailed May 21, 2021. Owners may contact Porsche customer service at 1-800-767-7243. Porsche's number for this recall is AMA4.

Bore scoring issues: due to a design issue, 1999 through 2008 911s, Boxster‘s, and Caymans are all at risk of bore scoring, which can result in catastrophic engine failure if not caught and fixed when it occurs:

Porsche cylinder bore scoring occurs in engines with Lokasil and Alusil engine blocks when there is a breakdown of the Aluminum-Silicon (Al-Si) cylinder system. When the required iron-clad piston coating fails or there are insufficient exposed silicon particles on the face of the aluminum cylinder bore to support oil film formation, there will be accelerated wear on the pistons, rings, and the cylinder walls. As the pistons and rings move up and down the cylinder, wear debris will be dragged through the bore, causing cylinder bore scoring.

Certain models are more susceptible than others to Porsche cylinder bore scoring. Porsche 911 bore scoring in 3.6 and 3.8 liter M96.03, M96.05, and M97.01 engines and Porsche Cayman bore scoring in 3.4 M97.21 engines are most common; below are all the models that can experience this issue:

• Porsche 996 bore scoring
  • Porsche 997 bore scoring
  • Porsche 911 bore scoring
  • Porsche 987 bore scoring
  • Cayman bore scoring
  • Boxster bore scoring (3.4 M97.22 engine only

Bore scoring can have extremely negative impacts on your car's performance and engine longevity. As the scoring worsens, the cylinders will lose their ring seal, and harmful contaminants will enter your oil as it bypasses the piston rings. Those contaminants can then be spread throughout to all the lubricated components in your Porsche's engine, eventually leading to catastrophic damage in the worst case scenario.

718 transmission recall:

In 2021 Porsche recalled 4,934 cars with faulty transmission and suspension that can cause drivers to lose control. This increases the risk of a crash and injuries.

The recall includes the following models:
  • 2013 – 2015 Porsche Boxster
  • 2013 – 2014 Porsche Boxster S
  • 2015 Porsche Boxster GTS
  • 2014 – 2015 Porsche Cayman
  • 2014 – 2015 Porsche Cayman S
  • 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS

This was the result of a manufacturing issue. Strontium is a material which is added to aluminum to make it stronger. Here, too much of it was used in the manufacturing procsee and weakened the axle carrier, which could crack or break, causing a loss of control and an accident.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:29 PM
348SStb
Instructor

Location: Palm Beach County, FL and Pickens County, SC originally from Long Island, NY
Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by improviz
What is absurd is saying that Porsche is the most reliable car in the world, period. Porsche 991.1 GT3 engine issues per Road & Track, in a story about a guy who just had his FOURTH engine blow:

Story:
This was such a horrendously bad post and such a waste of the site administrator’s bandwidth. On behalf of all those who suffered through reading it, praise be to the heavens that we survived reading it before going blind.

You obviously are ignorant about the Porsche ownership experience and about the Porsche brand. I wonder if you’ve ever owned a Porsche. Apparently you are in the tank against the brand. Too bad for you that you cannot enjoy that wonderful brand as many of us who enjoy multiple brands do.

You obviously have no idea about the support Porsche provided with respect to all the examples you painfully copied and pasted onto your post. For example with 991.1 GT3, there was actual compensation. Hard cash to the people who hadn’t even taken delivery yet. After that, there was even more compensation. And 10-year engine warranty to boot.

My 2017 991.2 911 Carrera S is a car that’s known to have a faulty coolant pump apparatus. Porsche acknowledged the problem and boom: 10 year warranty on the entire scenario.

I never said Porsche makes perfect products. No one does. What I did intend to say is that their sports cars are the most perfect in terms of quality and the least troublesome. That’s an assertion that you apparently are not qualified to entertain.

If you want to compare Porsche’s quality control and product quality in general with those of GM; if you want to compare Porsche’s customer support to that of GM; if you want to compare the know-how and support from Porsche dealerships to those of GM dealerships — that’s a discussion I’m not willing to have with you further. I own both and am blessed to own and have owned many more. I’m unbiased in this, and I do not flatter myself. On the contrary, you seem unqualified to have the discussion. Qualifications are: experience, intellectual honestly, broad knowledge, lack of bias. I think you’d enjoy cars more if you acquired those qualifications.

This thread has somehow been derailed and I recommend it be pushed back on track.

Last edited by 348SStb; 09-29-2023 at 06:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 348SStb:
Bluehinder (09-30-2023), Propspinner (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 06:36 PM
improviz
Racer

This was such a horrendously bad post and such a waste of the site administrator’s bandwidth. On behalf of all those who suffered through reading it, praise be to the heavens that we survived reading it before going blind.

You obviously are ignorant about the Porsche ownership experience and about the Porsche brand. I wonder if you’ve ever owned a Porsche. Apparently you are in the tank against the brand. Too bad for you that you cannot enjoy that wonderful brand as many of us who enjoy multiple brands do.

You obviously have no idea about the support Porsche provided with respect to all the examples you painfully copied and pasted onto your post. For example with 991.1 GT3, there was actual compensation. Hard cash to the people who hadn’t even taken delivery yet. After that, there was even more compensation. And 10-year engine warranty to boot.

My 2017 991.2 911 Carrera S is a car that’s known to have a faulty coolant pump apparatus. Porsche acknowledged the problem and boom: 10 year warranty on the entire scenario.

I never said Porsche makes perfect products. No one does. What I did intend to say is that their sports cars are the most perfect and the least troublesome. That’s an assertion that you apparently are not qualified to entertain. It’s not open for debate or discussion — it’s established.

If you want to compare Porsche’s quality control and product quality in general with those of GM, then that’s a discussion I’m not willing to have with you further. You are not qualified to have the discussion. Qualifications are: experience, intellectual honestly, broad knowledge, lack of bias. I think you’d enjoy cars more if you acquired those qualifications.
Well, I think your entire post is nothing more than a hot air filled, lame attempt at gaslighting and fanboyism from a pseudo intellectual, who thinks that he can browbeat somebody to appreciate dull looking cars that have had obvious problems.

I guess the factual documentation I provided about numerous issues that Porsche have had over the last few decades with their motors and drive lines, hit a sore spot, eh? Sorry for that… Oh, wait, no I am not.

And I just love how you try to work a dumb class argument into it, as if somebody who can afford a well-equipped Z06 cannot possibly afford a Porsche, or have possibly had any experience with them, nor has the intellectual capacity required to judge their relative merits, and/or lack there of compared to a Z06. Last time I checked, $175,000 will get you a very nicely equipped GTS, friend.

Porsche fan boys, there is no substitute!
The following users liked this post:
LE MANSZ (10-03-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 06:53 PM
348SStb
Instructor

Location: Palm Beach County, FL and Pickens County, SC originally from Long Island, NY

Well, I think your entire post is nothing more than a hot air filled, lame attempt at gaslighting and fanboyism from a pseudo intellectual, who thinks that he can browbeat somebody to appreciate dull looking cars that have had obvious problems.

I guess the factual documentation I provided about numerous issues that Porsche have had over the last few decades with their motors and drive lines, hit a sore spot, eh? Sorry for that… Oh, wait, no I am not.

And I just love how you try to work a dumb class argument into it, as if somebody who can afford a well-equipped Z06 cannot possibly afford a Porsche, or have possibly had any experience with them, nor has the intellectual capacity required to judge their relative merits, and/or lack there of compared to a Z06. Last time I checked, $175,000 will get you a very nicely equipped GTS, friend.

Porsche fan boys, there is no substitute!
I am not your friend, and I doubt you’ve made many here.

I made no “class argument;” your apparent lack of reading comprehension and arrival at spurious conclusions combined with your use of clichés and epithets speak to your maturity level. Besides you, pretty much everyone here knows how to count, and I never put Z06 buyers against Porsche buyers. That’s a figment of your biased imagination, as is most of what you’ve said in your review of my comments. You can let it go, or you can continue firing back in an attempt to have the last word as you continue to hijack the thread.

I recommend someone else step in and get the thread back on track.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:59 PM
improviz
Racer

I am not your friend, and I doubt you’ve made many here.

I made no “class argument;” your apparent lack of reading comprehension and arrival at spurious conclusions combined with your use of clichés and epithets speak to your maturity level. Besides you, pretty much everyone here knows how to count, and I never put Z06 buyers against Porsche buyers. That’s a figment of your biased imagination, as is most of what you’ve said in your review of my comments. You can let it go, or you can continue firing back in an attempt to have the last word as you continue to hijack the thread.

I recommend someone else step in and get the thread back on track.
Hey: you’re the one who said Porsche is the most reliable car on the planet, to the great amusement of many of us here…

All I did was post a little bit of data to show how full of it you are and what a bogus claim this is in the thread in which you’ve seemingly delighted to point out the flaws with Chevrolet products, and in response, as expected, you have continued to enlighten us with your petulance and repeated, rather odd assertions that anyone who disagrees with you is less intelligent than you and less knowledgeable than you.

Put in simpler terms, you took the bait, and proved exactly the point I was trying to make by posting that data: that you would be extremely one-sided and selective in your views of quality among the two manufacturers. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Last edited by improviz; 09-29-2023 at 07:22 PM.
LE MANSZ (10-03-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 07:16 PM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Roxbury/Ledgewood NJ ?

Originally Posted by danm1
Here's your picture, you think I got nothing better to do than make up stories? I worked my *** off all my life to be able to afford a car like this and here it is, being flat bedded on day one of ownership.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:31 PM
348SStb
Instructor

Hey: you’re the one who said Porsche is the most reliable car on the planet, to the great amusement of many of us here…

All I did was post a little bit of data to show how full of it you are and what a bogus claim this is in the thread in which you’ve seemingly delighted to point out the flaws with Chevrolet products, and in response, as expected, you have continued to enlighten us with your petulance and repeated, rather odd assertions that anyone who disagrees with you is less intelligent than you and less knowledgeable than you.

Put in simpler terms, you took the bait, and proved exactly the point I was trying to make by posting that data: that you would be extremely one-sided and selective in your views of quality among the two manufacturers. Thank you. Have a nice day.
I’m not necessarily more intelligent than someone who disagrees with me; I’m just more intelligent than you.

That’s because you are intellectually dishonest. You conveniently left out a dissertation about the failures of GM that should have been at least as long as, and potentially 100 times the length of, the one you provided about the Porsche failings. This is the epitome of bias and bad argument. You didn’t even address the possibility that someone might respond with that “data” — you should have mentioned GM’s performance in comparison. Everyone who is honest knows that GM’s reputation in quality control and with regard to various failings over the last 40 years has been very poor, but you provided “data” only about Porsche as though GM’s reputation is somehow clean or cleaner. I didn’t take any “bait” — I merely dismissed what you posted because anything coming from a biased and intellectually dishonest source is worthy of dismissal: it’s what most discerning people at first sight call a garbage assertion.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:45 PM
improviz
Racer

Lol…well, if your objective here has been to shatter any illusions that anyone harbored of objectivity on your part, I’d say you’ve been a smashing success.

The data I provided is well sourced and accurate. The claim that Porsche are the most reliable cars out there is clearly not. ‘Nuff said, I’ll leave you the last word, to continue proving the point I intended to make. G’nite!

Last edited by improviz; 09-29-2023 at 08:43 PM.
LE MANSZ (10-03-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 11:21 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

^^^^At least Porsche factory workers are not on strike.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:31 AM
improviz
Racer

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
^^^^At least Porsche factory workers are not on strike.
Not at the moment, but it’s always a possibility:
https://uk.motor1.com/news/226467/po...ay-strike/amp/

Also, the strike hasn’t hit Bowling Green yet.
LE MANSZ (10-03-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 11:39 AM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Not at the moment, but it’s always a possibility:
https://uk.motor1.com/news/226467/po...ay-strike/amp/

Also, the strike hasn’t hit Bowling Green yet.
Thats from January 2018
Old 09-30-2023, 11:43 AM
improviz
Racer

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
Thats from January 2018
Yes, I know… My point was that they have had them in the past and they haven’t outlawed them in Germany, so they could have them again. So what is your point, that Porsche never has strikes or they’re just not having one right now?
LE MANSZ (10-03-2023)

Quick Reply: New Z06 problems first day