Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

C8 Z06 Transmission Replacement After Three Miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 05:52 PM
Shokosugi
Drifting

Received 1,865 Likes on 782 Posts

OP it’s nice to see you have some perspective on the matter. We have enough Chicken Littles in this world. Hope your ownership experience is smooth going forward.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shokosugi:
BearZ06 (07-02-2023), oaktreebc (07-18-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 06:34 PM
combatninja
Drifting

Received 2,019 Likes on 860 Posts

It's a Z06 ordered to his specification. You guys act like this was a chicken sandwich that came out mayo against your request. Some people would rather just let the components get replaced and enjoy the car instead of waiting 2,3 or more months to get a replacement car. Besides, soulsea did all the 'allocation list' whiners a favor by not getting reinserted in the front of the line which would have inevitably led to a 4 page thread in here about How Some Idiot got Screwed Out of His 'Spot' on a Mythical List. Thank you, soulsea. Enjoy your car.
The following users liked this post:
elvin18 (07-20-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 07:52 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,379 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchell_B
The DCT failures have been relatively numerous and varied and this points to several basic design issues whether oiling, filtration, solenoid design rather than just a manufacturing/assembly issue. Tremec will likely go through several revisions before this transmission ever becomes reliable. Until then, this unit will always be problematic.

It would help if GM advised for an accelerated preventive maintenance schedule because this transmission is rather fragile.
The things that you cite are exactly what points to an assembly process failure, rather than a design failure. That the trans mission has held up behind 1200hp +, 1000+ lb/ft of torque with clutches and pressure boosts when it has a design limit of 590 lb/ft of torque tells you it is not a “fragile” design.

someone else mentioned case porosity. Also a manufacturing issue.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:55 PM
Mitchell_B
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
The things that you cite are exactly what points to an assembly process failure, rather than a design failure. That the trans mission has held up behind 1200hp +, 1000+ lb/ft of torque with clutches and pressure boosts when it has a design limit of 590 lb/ft of torque tells you it is not a “fragile” design.

someone else mentioned case porosity. Also a manufacturing issue.
Four years into production and assembly issues would have been easy to resolve. We are talking about long term reliability, not short term 1200 HP little use/mileage reliability. Ill bet Tremec will revise the oiling and solenoids and probably the oil filtration system at the very least. And they are probably learning what the hardware is actually capable of relative to the programming/calibration.
The following users liked this post:
LastTrueZ (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 12:21 AM
CRS1962
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
3 miles? Damn, GM, this is gonna be a tough record to top.
Yeah don't they come with about 3 miles/
Old 07-03-2023, 12:41 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,379 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchell_B
Four years into production and assembly issues would have been easy to resolve. We are talking about long term reliability, not short term 1200 HP little use/mileage reliability. Ill bet Tremec will revise the oiling and solenoids and probably the oil filtration system at the very least. And they are probably learning what the hardware is actually capable of relative to the programming/calibration.
GM is building them now. I have 24k miles on mine, no problems. Fragile means weak and easily broken. Standing up to 1000 lb/ft is not easily broken. Maybe you mean durable. Almost all of the failures are less than 1000 miles. I have not heard about internal gear or shaft failures. Essentially all except can be explained by manufacturing and assembly failures, not fragile broken parts.

Four years in and design issues would have been solved. As far as I know, the design around pan attachment has changed. Design issues result in higher failure rates than we are seeing
Old 07-03-2023, 06:49 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,728 Likes on 3,006 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by lrobe22
Congrats on the car and having a good dealer.
And having a glass half full attitude
Old 07-03-2023, 07:22 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 19/C7Z
I know its not like yesteryear but it is still their first attempt at this. DCT tech is still questionable in mas produced vehicles especially hi po vehicles.

Point to pdk in porsche they revamped and refined it over a decade and it is great reliable etc.

I can't recall which one said it but a Vp or pres of audi Aston martin or some European car mfr (higher end) said they went away from DCT and back to torque converter because of the reliability issues.
BMW went back to torgue converter from DCT, but I don't know whether that decision was related to reliability. As for the Porsche PDK that was mentioned, it is, and has been for a long time, considered to be the best DCT in the world and the benchmark for by which others are judged.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:40 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

GM wanted the C8 to watch European sports cars. They appear to have achieved it, not as unreliable as them.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:52 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Why does it take even more money?

Originally Posted by combatninja
Glad your car is back to you and in good working order.

And I stand by my statement that I would have ZERO issues having an experienced, conscientious tech that I trust pulling my drive unit. All you who feel otherwise are giving the FACTORY too much credit. You have no idea who did what at Bowling Green other than the guy whose name is on the engine plaque in the case of the Z06s. My Stingray had a bunch of random plastic and rubber bits left in the car in various places, there were missing screws in the under trays, etc. And that was just the stuff I could SEE. Imagine what I can't see. Just very poor quality control which clearly shows that at least SOME people on the line don't care. I'll take my chances on one guy that knows what he's doing making sure everything is as it should be. You guys are giving Bowling Green credit like it's the Porsche 911 assembly line. Of course, that kind of QA/QC takes money, lots of it. That's but one reason why Corvettes cost about 30-40% less than a comparably equipped 911.
The majority of extra price on the Porsche cars goes into their profit margin. They are just pricing their cars higher due to perceived value and what the market bears but that's a separate topic. As far as QC goes,
I am sure both lines have similar numbers of QC people. And I bet the BG workers get paid a decent wage as are the Porsche workers. I've watched some documentaries where they interviewed people that worked in various german auto factories. They are very proud of what they are building especially the ones that work on the more upscale model lines. What it comes down to is that people need to do their jobs well and not phone it in. Now, if the suggestion is that the BG lines are lacking in number of actual QC workers or maybe lacking in the actual process of what they are checking then that would be on GM. I will reserve further judgment on the C8 as it ages further. It's still too new to make a call on it.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:45 PM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

Buy your dealer some doughnuts and coffee for breakfast or a pizza for lunch one day.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:51 PM
Jridden
Burning Brakes

Received 606 Likes on 388 Posts

How's the transmission doing Soulsea?
Old 07-18-2023, 04:13 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Jridden
How's the transmission doing Soulsea?
So far so good. I've been trying to put it in different environments to see if everything works as it should ... been manual shifting and automatic shifting in all the different modes with no issues to date. I'm incrementally pushing the car more and more but at a slow and deliberate rate, not only because I'm still in break-in mode, but also because in my head I'm not only testing the transmission but all the other components that were disassembled and put back together. I'm actually more mindful about things like a suspension component not being secured properly than the transmission failing, as the former can have dire consequences whereas the latter would merely be an inconvenience. As I put more pressure on all the components I'm gaining the confidence that the car is as good as new, that way when I hit 500 miles I can just let her rip and hopefully everything is fine and this will be all behind me. I should be past break-in in a week or so depending on pending travel planning, but I'll update the thread as I go.
The following 4 users liked this post by soulsea:
AustinVetter (07-18-2023), CPhelps (07-18-2023), LE MANSZ (07-18-2023), oaktreebc (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 06:44 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

That one should've been caught at the QC right off the line at the factory. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:52 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
That one should've been caught at the QC right off the line at the factory. Glad it worked out for you.
idr the number but every select number of car off that line is run through additional tests for qc. I know this from my 2016 Z06 arriving at the dealer with I think 27 miles on it? When I asked what happened I was told they do a 23 or so mile drive every xx car as a random qc thing. I double checked this with the QC manager at the time Jeff strausser who confirmed that back then.

My 19 Z06 came with 4 miles on it.

So had the random qc thing happened to the OP he would've never dealt with this. Sucks. But glad all working out.

Quick Reply: C8 Z06 Transmission Replacement After Three Miles