Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Hagerty: Z06 vs 911 GT3 RS vs M4 CSL

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 10:46 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,079 Likes on 908 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by NXTFAZE
The C8 Z06 for half the price did amazingly well and it would beat the RS at a longer and faster track like Road Atlanta and VIR (full). The Z doesn't need to have a lightweight RS package but some extra aero would help! I know this being the CF, and there are some biased opinions, some members here are upset the Z didn't win... it's just the wrong track
To the contrary, I think most of us that really enjoy all cars and are not Homers of any one brand are kinda shocked it was even that close! On paper given the admitted track focus purpose of the GT3RS it really should not have been close IMO. When Randy stated that the brakes were giving him issues and the fact that it was that cold I think it is reasonable to assume that given different conditions it may (key word may) have been even closer finish. Again that takes NOTHING away from the RS as it is one hell of a focused car and instead is really kind of the ultimate compliment to the Z06 I think most reasonable people (key word here is reasonable) would agree that the RS would be a bit easier to get those numbers repeated over and over again due to the more track focused nature of the car.

Based on all of the tests we have seen so far it appears as though the Z06 beats both the GT3 and GT4RS on the track for ~$80-100K less and hangs with the GT3RS (at least for a few laps) for 1/2 the price. I don't think most of us saw that coming. Nice work Chevy
The following 3 users liked this post by Nitro-C5:
CorvettoBrando (05-22-2023), Joefab (05-20-2023), RULEMKR (05-20-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 11:30 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I’m a Corvette guy til I die and I’ve never been a Porsche guy, but they just overall win at everything. They do so much more with so much less. Selling 300 and 400 horsepower cars to customers for decades and people can’t get enough of them. I’ve never been on a Porsche forum with a new model reveal and seen, “if the horsepower number doesn’t start with a 7 or 8, it’s a fail”. With just 500 horses, they can produce something like this. Amazing.

They also have the wherewithal to keep their track oriented cars focused on track duty, not daily duty. That’s where Corvette drops the ball big time. Every model, even the supposed hardcore model has to wear every hat and be comfy and appealing everyone. It’s like Chevrolet is afraid they’re going to hurt feelings and lose money if they have that one, “it’s not the one for you” hard edge track car in the lineup.
Not really. Chevrolet is a volume manufacturer. They have to build cars that sell in volume. Porsche doesn't, especially with the GT3RS. A Z06 can be a daily driver. A GT3RS never will be.

Nothing is stopping anyone from putting in stiffer springs, and bigger aero on a Z06/Z07 to make it a track only car..
The following users liked this post:
Telepierre (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 02:12 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

This video makes u wonder about the ZORA. IF it is a TT LT6 w AWD, WOW and look out GT3RS.
Joefab (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 03:25 AM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 722 Likes on 329 Posts

Im not a simple Porsche fan-boy. BUT here is a video of the design and engineering of the 992 GT3 RS with actual technical data from Porsche AG. I attended a function that showed a lot of this recently. It’s wild how deep and how far the race engineers redesigned/ reengineered the GT3 into the GT3RS . Totally went mad creating downforce and all out race speed for a “street-legal racecar “ road registrable.
Savagegeese at the thermal club .

The good news if you are a car-guy, unbiased, that appreciates all cars and performance is that Chevrolet will buy one of these and just like all other OEMs have their engineers analyze, develop and deploy similar advanced systems for the future variants of the Z06, ZR1. Likewise VW AUDI will sharpen the Huracan and McLaren will do so too. Meanwhile Ferrari could care less. Bottom line better faster cool cars for all.

That being said 992 GT3RS is very unpractical and super expensive.
No front trunk space whatsoever on a 992 GT3 RS and behind rear seat storage only. IF you order the rear behind the seat roll-bar Uber roll Cafig, then you have virtually no storage with a passenger and truly can not get squat in the car . My wife would be furious on a road trip and quite frankly I question my patience level too on a car like this too. Regular Porsche and C8s have tons of front and rear storage for road-trips. A Z06 driving from Carmel to San Diego or from New York to Florida would be epic and memorable.

Likely keep the regular GT3 and keep waiting and pray for a 70th anniversary Z06 spider.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joefab:
Boba Fett (05-21-2023), CorvettoBrando (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 08:35 AM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 896 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I’m a Corvette guy til I die and I’ve never been a Porsche guy, but they just overall win at everything. They do so much more with so much less. Selling 300 and 400 horsepower cars to customers for decades and people can’t get enough of them. I’ve never been on a Porsche forum with a new model reveal and seen, “if the horsepower number doesn’t start with a 7 or 8, it’s a fail”. With just 500 horses, they can produce something like this. Amazing.

They also have the wherewithal to keep their track oriented cars focused on track duty, not daily duty. That’s where Corvette drops the ball big time. Every model, even the supposed hardcore model has to wear every hat and be comfy and appealing everyone. It’s like Chevrolet is afraid they’re going to hurt feelings and lose money if they have that one, “it’s not the one for you” hard edge track car in the lineup.
They do it with gearing. Torque(and horsepower) at the wheels stays higher despite less power from the motor. Gears are very close together so you're always in the highest multiplying gear for that speed.
This comes at a sacrifice of lower gas mileage and higher vibrations with running high RPM all the time.

A close ratio transmission in the Z06 would be a Porsche killer.
The following 2 users liked this post by fatsport:
CorvettoBrando (05-20-2023), GM Bureaucrat (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 09:23 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,330 Likes on 1,985 Posts

GM needs to release a more hardcore Z06 Carbon this generation or go all out with a limited run of a Z06X like they toyed with producing during the 6th generation. The market, buyer demographic, and demand has changed this generation. This would be the car to do this on and would more closely compete with a car like a GT3 or GT3RS.

https://media.gm.com/content/dam/Med...ack_Car_V3.doc
The following 3 users liked this post by JockItch:
DaveFerrari458 (05-20-2023), Joefab (05-20-2023), Minkster (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 10:26 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

At 0.6 seconds off the GT3RS at WS, the Z07 would beat the GT3 without all those enhancements for the limited market.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:53 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,839 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by JockItch
or go all out with a limited run of a Z06X like they toyed with producing during the 6th generation.
FWIW that was never toyed with, or even considered to be a potential product. At no point did GM OK even experimenting with that. What you think you saw was something at SEMA, and that was an employee's car. Not something sponsored by GM.

End yes, I read the document. ;-)

Last edited by jvp; 05-20-2023 at 12:30 PM. Reason: i kant spel
The following 2 users liked this post by jvp:
redzone (05-20-2023), Telepierre (05-25-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 07:10 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jvp
FWIW that was never toyed with, or even considered to be a potential product. At no point did GM OK even experimenting with that. What you think you saw was something at SEMA, and that was an employee's car. Not something sponsored by GM.

End yes, I read the document. ;-)
If that’s the case, weird that the document is hosted on GM’s site with comments on the vehicle by the Corvette Chief Engineer and Design Manager. It might not have been sponsored by GM, but they definitely acknowledged it’s existence in what seemed like an effort to get feelers out there to the public… kind of the point of all concept cars, whether it ever had a realistic shot at getting produced or not.
CorvettoBrando (05-22-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 07:41 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Equipped the way you say will be a lot closer to $150K as red dipped goes with 3LZ and the aero look is $10-12K even without the Z07 package. Oh and Chevy can't supply the high aero in any reasonable quantity so no you cannot get it that way for $125K MSRP.
8500 on top if you added the aero which like astrocreep rightfully pointed out i never mentioned and to me the high aero detracts from the classy look I mentioned. Still only 130k.

Originally Posted by ASTROCREEP
He didn't mention aero. Here is a car built to 19/C7Z specs. MSRP $123,145.
I just built a low optioned 3LZ I think mine comes to 126k I wish I could get myself to do that combo in the pic. But I went white/black this time.

I do agree with many here that Chevy should offer the Z06 as an actual GT3RS type car. I think the Z06 now should be a GS and the Z07 stripped of everything and lightweight glass standard CF everything should be the Z06. I think in this climate that car one way at 150k would sell for 100k all day long and they couldn't build enough of them. 95% bought by people that would never bring them to the track.
Old 05-20-2023, 08:28 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

They can't build enough Z06s, and even more restricted Z07s as it is and the ERay is going to take up more production before the end of the year. Only 180-190 cars out the door each day if there are no production/supply problems.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:32 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
Spot on analysis Higgs Many of us want GM to build a really track focused version as Porsche has done with the RS variants. So as car folks we should tip our hats and give them credit for building a model for basically every different need/type of driver. It is truely wonderful that a company can fullfill a really specific niche as Porsche as done! Although I have absolutely nothing against Porsche (or any manufacturer for that matter) I must admit I love watching Porsche Fanboys get their panties all twisted up and have to explain using verbal Jiu Jitsu why there uber track focused GT cars are getting beat and/or barely winning against a car that is $100-200K LESS!

If you take all bias and emotion out and just think for a second, you have a much heavier, not nearly track focused car with a fraction of the downforce with all of the amenities and comfort with storage front and rear etc... that is just a tad slower than one of the most track focused cars that has ever been built by a manufacturer...and WAY more expensive and WAY less practical. It is really mind boggling when you think about. The Z06/Z07 should not be in the same league as the GT3RS on the track as this is its huge selling point. It doesn't make any sense, but here we are. So again instead of crapping on Porsche lets give GM the credit they deserve for what they have given us!
Id have to disagree. It most def should, even at the price difference. Theres many things that go into the price diff of the 2 cars, NOT just the outcome of track performance, because lets face it, most guys (Porsche & Vette) arent tracking their cars. I also have no problem going at with Porsche guys when they wanna rag on the Vette. They both are simply incredible cars, but yes it makes total sense that the ZO6/7 compares on track with the RS.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:38 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

One is a track car that can be driven on the street if you are willing to put up with it, the other is a great street car that performs on the track nearly as well as that "streetable?" track car.
PRE-Z06 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 07:48 AM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Both the C8Z06 Z07 package car and the 992 GT3RS are 100% completely daily driveable hard core street cars. Forget any preferred brand bias as the Z07 with carbon fiber wheels and front diveplanes and all other aero is revolutionary and the complete mid-engine 670hp 8600rpm V8 is track developed car pure and simple . Z07 has CUP 2 R tires and only crazy ultra track focused vehicles are factory equipped with Cup 2 R tires pure and simple.

The GT3RS is a lot faster on the Willow Springs racetrack because its 300 to 400 pounds lighter and in conjunction with a highly developed aero and over 17+ years of GT3 chassis development , street and CUP car RSR racing development the GT3RS was 9 car lengths ahead on each lap at Willow Springs versus the Z07.

Therefore if going fast with maximum durability is your track day goal or and excites a car buying enthusiast THEN the 992 GT3 RS is the car you want to be strapped into because in a 20 to 30 lap race drivers with equal talent in a GT3 RS and C8Z06 the damn Porsche will accumulate and be so far ahead by 180 to 270 car lengths the RS outta sight.

If chevy wanted too they certain have the engineering and financial ability to take Z07 and significantly reduce weight add more aero and go faster. Nonetheless Chevy and GT3s will sell out and we are all fortunate to be offered these cars.

Meanwhile Porsche guys that often say that Chevy makes “ race “replicas commemorative edition nonsensical tape stripe BADGED cars “ that dont go faster but simply are “marketing money makers “ to take customers money…………..Corvette guys that dont like Porsche or are haters (we should not hate quality sportscars) PORSCHE recently started shipping a Special 992 GT3 RS to ONLY the UNITED STATES market . An extra $80,000 a buyer can spec a 992 GT3 RS “tribute to RS” weissach car. Color matched replica of the 1973 Carrera RS , white green accents , and you get green watches and matching mini-cars for you office den book-case .

So only changes to the GT3RS are GREEN embroidery, green tape stripes logos and green painted wheels to match and the buyer gets a matching wristwatch . Cars will be rare and like ADM and likely buyer insanity to $750k to 1 mill. So there ya go Porsche haters — Porsche “trying to rope in all the cash they can with a commemorative edition”. Shamefull but cool……they pick the buyer too. Chevy Z07 GT3 could easily get another $75,000+ from buyers for a lightweight IMSA streetcar .

Jesus h Christ. Green thread green paint $80k

Last edited by Joefab; 05-22-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:25 AM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

The green wheeled and greened trimmed RS is the one I really want😂! I had no idea they were charging that much more! They do it because they know people will pay for it. People pay WAY MORE for exclusivity. A pair of Mike Amiri jeans can run up to $2000. A Hermes Birkin bag can be over $100,000. Balenciaga sneakers are made in China but are still $1200/pair. They cost that much because they limit how many of the same pieces they make, and when something is rare people are willing to pay ALOT more for it. You think Chevy "can't" make 1000 Z06 per week if they wanted to? I can assure you they can. They limit production on purpose because they want their top model to be a halo car--the type of car MANY want and fantasize about, but only a few can actually get their hands on. Same reason Ferrari always said they would make one less of their top supercars than the market would bear.

Scarcity=exclusivity=desirability=$$$$
Old 05-22-2023, 09:38 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

By that reasoning I guess Chevy doesn't want to build more Z07s so they can build desirability of it?
Old 05-22-2023, 10:00 AM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
The green wheeled and greened trimmed RS is the one I really want😂! I had no idea they were charging that much more! They do it because they know people will pay for it. People pay WAY MORE for exclusivity. A pair of Mike Amiri jeans can run up to $2000. A Hermes Birkin bag can be over $100,000. Balenciaga sneakers are made in China but are still $1200/pair. They cost that much because they limit how many of the same pieces they make, and when something is rare people are willing to pay ALOT more for it. You think Chevy "can't" make 1000 Z06 per week if they wanted to? I can assure you they can. They limit production on purpose because they want their top model to be a halo car--the type of car MANY want and fantasize about, but only a few can actually get their hands on. Same reason Ferrari always said they would make one less of their top supercars than the market would bear.

Scarcity=exclusivity=desirability=$$$$
=============
the 992 GT3 Weissach package is $38,000+ and the Tribute to RS adds another $55,000+ for the vinyl stickers , green stiching, matching MatchBox cars , and likely green goblin RS watch. I agree from a collectibility standpoint ……..IF you can get the RS ………get it as it will be highly collectible and worth millions in 20 years I suspect . Ive got a customers car coming in full tribute RS and im installing my Fabspeed GT3 IMSA GTLM performance package 321 long tube racing headers equipped with merge collectors and HJS German 5.25” HD katalaysators “ 200CPSI cats and rear 70mm X pipe. Will pick up 50ftlb torque 37hp drop -38# from the cars rear end .

Meanwhile Porsche dropped Python Green “Grun” from their configurator and im not inclined to pay $450,000+ for a 992 GT3RS special car . I simply want a 70th Anniversary Z06 spider with twin silver stripes and simply break her in easy and listen to her “howl and make music “ with HJS catalytic converters . PPF, break her in easily and weekend trips to Long Beach island and to Watkins Glen IMSA 6 hours.

I could likely get a GT3RS car with my connections faster than the darn C8Z06 . Rather keep what i got and add the Vette.

Python grun ……recently dropped

My build no longer available — unless PTS special +$40k nfw

Paris Dakar street car special

If porsche builds 1500+ WACKY off-road cars like this at $250,000. Certainly GM Chevy can build and offer 1500 to 2500 C8 Z06 IMSA GT3 or GT PRO street cars for $200k starting .

Who’s going to “ F” this thing in the Pine barrens or Colorado Utah backcountry ….no-one . Chevy build something for the Faithful……FORD built a $500,000 GT and sold em all!
PRE-Z06 (05-22-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Hagerty: Z06 vs 911 GT3 RS vs M4 CSL

Old 05-22-2023, 10:59 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
This video makes u wonder about the ZORA. IF it is a TT LT6 w AWD, WOW and look out GT3RS.
Yes, But the Zora idea is not considering the GT3RS as a competitor just like the Z06 is not competing with the GT4RS. They are not "equal tier" cars. The Zora must contend with the twin turbo GT2RS....and that will again be a similar outcome. Whatever you think regarding the cars, if you have not driven them, its just a bunch of blather.

The GT3RS showed me what the ultimate "track car" out of the box from a dealership would feel like. I also got to drive a GT2RS, and because of my abilities could not use the car the way it wanted to be used. The GT2RS is fearsome and needs a huge track to unwind as well as a bravery that comes from youth.

As stated a million times before though....you can get a Z06/Z07 car with ADM for under $275,000.00 right now. Try throwing those numbers at a GT3RS that's new and see what happens.

The fact of the matter is that we are arguing about cars that nobody can really "just go out and buy". These things are like toilet paper during week one of the pandemic. How much of this demand is actual, and how much is hype?
The following 2 users liked this post by international blue:
CorvettoBrando (05-22-2023), JockItch (05-25-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 03:35 PM
gtrguy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

doesnt make sense for z to be totally hardcore track car like 3rs. its too heavy a platform and all the changes they would need to make to drop 500 or so lbs would make it too limited in appeal. its fine the way it is and aftermarket exists for someone who wants more.

strip interior to bone. no carpet, radio, hvac. cf race seat. plastic instead of glass. minimal lighting. titanium exhaust. no magnaride but suspension with aluminum bushings. race brakes. slicks. enjoy.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:23 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gtrguy
doesnt make sense for z to be totally hardcore track car like 3rs. its too heavy a platform and all the changes they would need to make to drop 500 or so lbs would make it too limited in appeal. its fine the way it is and aftermarket exists for someone who wants more.

strip interior to bone. no carpet, radio, hvac. cf race seat. plastic instead of glass. minimal lighting. titanium exhaust. no magnaride but suspension with aluminum bushings. race brakes. slicks. enjoy.

Your point is logical but I’ll keep saying it until I’m blue in the face or it actually happens… I have a very hard time believing the modular Bedford 6 frame was designed like that on accident. The Z06 budget didn’t allow for much light weighting, but I believe we’ll see some of these modular frame parts light weighted in future, more expensive performance variants. And if so, I could see that application shared down to this Z06 if they choose to release a more hardcore Z06X or Z06 Carbon model later in the lifecycle.
ZRacerLE (05-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Hagerty: Z06 vs 911 GT3 RS vs M4 CSL