Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Z06 Makes 640WHP on DynoJet

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 11:41 AM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,302 Likes on 531 Posts

@Joefab

I watched some of the video again and it looks like the initial run was 608 rwhp. The other 3 runs were in the 630's - 640.

I want to know what happened between the first run where it showed 608 and the other 3 runs.

Was the first run done in 4th gear, and the other runs all done in 5th gear? Something else?

Please explain the initial run that produced 608 rwhp.

Also, if you could post the graph for us all to look at, that would be nice to have. Very hard to get a screen shot from the video.

Honesty and transparency are always appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 12:07 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
@Joefab

I watched some of the video again and it looks like the initial run was 608 rwhp. The other 3 runs were in the 630's - 640.

I want to know what happened between the first run where it showed 608 and the other 3 runs.

Was the first run done in 4th gear, and the other runs all done in 5th gear? Something else?

Please explain the initial run that produced 608 rwhp.

Also, if you could post the graph for us all to look at, that would be nice to have. Very hard to get a screen shot from the video.

Honesty and transparency are always appreciated.
Guaranty you they switched to the uncorrected numbers (it's winter and cold out after all, so yes the car will make more power in dense oxygen). All for the drama and clicks. The customer is a youtuber and needs this. Engagement is highest when people argue.
The following 5 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Harbgrogan (12-12-2022), JABCAT (12-06-2022), JockItch (12-06-2022), PRE-Z06 (12-06-2022), ZRacerLE (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 12:10 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 455 Likes on 256 Posts

Mopar Jimmy;16059930You guys who know anything about dynos an dyno numbers know that if this car goes to 10 different dynos, at different shops, even on the same day, the different dyno numbers will be all over the place.
Absoluetly 100% untrue! Fact...I have ran my NA 700 RWHP LS7 on three different dyno's in two states at different elevations 3 different times of the year (up to 50 degree temp difference) and the numbers were ALL WITHIN 1% whereas Dynojet advertises that their machines are accurate to within 2%! When I Dyno I pay 100% attention to egine temp, driveline oil temps and scan each run to ensure identical full timiong and guess what...accurate to within 1%! Surely if you dyno (like most people do) without scanning their run and use something that is completely unrepeatible (Brand-X Dyno, not a Dynojet) of course the numbers will be all over the block! I just happened to have a Dynojet in my personal Shop so I can back up EVERY claim that I make regarding a Dynojet's performance and repeartiblity!
CorvetteBrent (12-08-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 01:25 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,868 Likes on 4,271 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Telepierre
You make a power claim associated to Lingelfeter intake and exhaust and now you bring a link to a Cunningham C8

Please focus.

Cheers.
I know you can't be that dense & just like to stir the pot. It clearly says built by Lingenfelter...600 hp... Did Cunningham just make up the number or did Lingenfelter give them the number to advertise?

I amended my statement to include Corsa headers and Lingenfelter airbox. So they're claiming 110 hp on an LT2 from those mods.

Just like we're probably going to get some ridiculous claim from just aftermarket exhaust on the Z06.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:36 PM
LSX228R
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I want to see what it makes on RPMs dyno.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:47 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,324 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Originally Posted by PacerX
Oh, for Cripe's sake...

The dyno result isn't even in the same galaxy as correct.

WHEN they find the screwup, think they'll correct the record?

I have doubts.

Since that is their stock baseline and they have already done work on the car… doubtful.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I know you can't be that dense & just like to stir the pot. It clearly says built by Lingenfelter...600 hp... Did Cunningham just make up the number or did Lingenfelter give them the number to advertise?

I amended my statement to include Corsa headers and Lingenfelter airbox. So they're claiming 110 hp on an LT2 from those mods.

Just like we're probably going to get some ridiculous claim from just aftermarket exhaust on the Z06.
I am going too hard on you already. Stirring the pot (as you allege) has it's rewards. One of them is determine what can be realistically expected in terms of power gains from the work done by fab in this thread. You are just shooting on automatic without control, conflating a Cunnigham C8, with lingelfelter, with corsa just to state their are all a bunch of impostors and finding out impostors is not the goal of this thread.

Corsa most expensive SR C8 system gains 18HP (claimed). Here Fab is already 'whispering' 45HP for starters...

If you want to make the point they are all a bunch of villains go ahead... all I was telling you is that quoting wrong numbers on top of fake numbers does not help the discussion...
Old 12-06-2022, 08:35 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
Love all the bench racers here. Showing absolute disbelief over a 30whp difference between a Mustang Dyno and a Dynojet. This isn't uncommon at all. My C7 read differently on every kind of dyno there was. Always in the same general area, but never expect the same numbers. Mustang dyno's read lower, dynojets read a bit higher. This is common knowlegde in the modifying community.

No, Fabspeed did not spoof the settings for it to read a higher number. They don't care what the stock dyno number is. They are using it to show any potential power gains with their newly developed exhaust system they are R&D'ing. The fact that the baseline run was high is literally meaningless to them so they have 0 reason to engineer a "hero run". To be honest, its probably in their best interest to show lower baseline runs, so they can show their exhaust posting up higher numbers. Not the other way around.

At the end of the day, a dyno is not an exact measurement. It will generate different numbers due to all kinds of different reasons. It's a tool to see power improvements after mods and get a general sense for performance. Cars are going to show a range of whp readings based on many factors so don't read too much into this 30whp difference.
https://dallasperformance.com/dynofacility/
Old 12-06-2022, 08:47 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joefab
===========================
Thanks. Im only reporting what results we are observing and recording on our Dyno jet all wheel drive equipment. To be honest we were shocked and slightly annoyed at the higher than expected power output we consistently recorded run after dyno run. The power is 640 for Mike StreetSpeed717 personal Z06 with a Mike Ward built engine.

So 640hp at the wheels is the number this C8Z06 is laying down and additional significant power gains are being seen and recorded and backed up by consistent dyno runs .

Ive been designing and incrementally dyno developing performance parts for over 25+ years and there are typically power gains from HJS imported high flow 200CPSI cats and free flow exhaust. Always has and always will even under radical high strung high RPM racing style normally aspirated engines like the C8Z06 and 992 GT3 and 718GT4. I own both of the last 2 cars and with HJS cats and free flow emissions legal exhaust added up to 45hp and 35hp to each car with out ECU tuning.

The C8Z06 responded as well to performance parts. The Fabspeed dyno-jet with integrated weather station does not allow input of correction factors to manipulate results like a mustang or other dyno. What’s that mean ? We cant go back into the results and say Airtemp was 90 degrees F when it was actually 60 degrees actual and receive a multiplication/ correction factor to raise power output OR conversely run some other brands performance parts and loose power by inputting correction factors. In addition, fabspeed can not take this baseline Dyno result 640hp and go back into the computer and input “airtemp/ humidity was adverse” and reduce 640 to 620hp lets say …….so future Fabspeed performance systems make even more power.

The next steps at Fabspeed will be working with Helical Great Britain to design stainless steel Inconel carbide electric plug & play exhaust valves that can take extreme heat and survive on a Z06 under all out race conditions. My guys are flying to Charlotte this weekend to drive back another Z07Z06.

Like to design a GT1 rear engine intake scoop in carbon fiber to force feed cold ambient air to the Z06 factory airbox and design exhaust valves to open the shunt exhaust up through the rear decklid for more power and wild sports car sound like McLaren 600lt or Porsche 918 Spyder BUT i dont think guys will want to use a hole-saw to modify their cars.

Should have applied for US Patents for some of the systems I personally designed and were copied by large global OEM manufacturers. If anyone wants to chat offline my email is joe@fabspeed.com and call the facility or be my guest and stop by. Next week we should be putting break-in miles on a GT4RS and then designing parts for that too.
I’m not claiming y’all did this, but the “weather” the sensor is reading vs what the engine is actually ingesting can be manipulated if someone is wanting to be deceptive. I am skeptical of 640rwhp SAE from an engine rated at 670chp SAE as that’s only a 5% drivetrain loss, what have other Corvette’s put down on your dyno as a reference point?
ZRacerLE (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 10:35 PM
jleews6
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

A couple of things to consider. The speed phenom guy is in California with 91 octane gas and street speed had Sonoco 93. Will that make a difference ? I don't know. Also, we have seen them trap in the low 130s on the west coast but what will they trap on the east coast with negative da? Maybe at MIR we will see 134/135 ? Who knows.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:26 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by jleews6
A couple of things to consider. The speed phenom guy is in California with 91 octane gas and street speed had Sonoco 93. Will that make a difference ? I don't know. Also, we have seen them trap in the low 130s on the west coast but what will they trap on the east coast with negative da? Maybe at MIR we will see 134/135 ? Who knows.
Austin was in Dallas, Texas where 93 octane is prevalence for dyno pull and was in Abilene, Texas that has 93 octane as well for the 1/2 mile runs. He stopped here on his way from NCM to Cali, so fuel wasn’t an issue.
The following 6 users liked this post by PRE-Z06:
94Lt1Vette (12-07-2022), Harbgrogan (12-12-2022), JABCAT (12-07-2022), jleews6 (12-08-2022), range96 (12-07-2022), ZRacerLE (12-07-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-07-2022, 11:10 AM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Put it on a large in-ground inertia wheel type dyno and get back to us. Every thread I have read in the past 10 years where the dyno numbers seem too good to be true involve one of these tiny tiny roller, load cell type or hub type dynos. They are excellent for tuning but they definitely aren't as consistent or accurate for final numbers as a large inertia roller dyno.
bufalobob (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 01:03 PM
yz250fPilot
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I’m not claiming y’all did this, but the “weather” the sensor is reading vs what the engine is actually ingesting can be manipulated if someone is wanting to be deceptive.
This is EXACTLY right, and what a shop out in California did to promote a power-adder kit.

This one particular car posted numbers that were about 50-ish rwhp higher than other similar cars.

However, they ultimately were dummies, because for the chart they posted (..I might have that chart somewhere), it included all the correction factors used. And in this case, it was discovered that the displayed barometric pressure was lower than the most powerful hurricane on record, an impossibility for California - so they were outed by themselves that they were clearly cheating.

Many years later it 'officially' came out that they knowingly cheated by making the dyno think that during the runs, the barometric pressure was much lower than actual, which thru the correction factor, raised the recorded rwhp.

For JoeFab to state that a DynoJet cannot be manipulated to provide lower/higher numbers is IMO, disingenuous to say the least. And especially so for someone who has run dyno's for years.

The following 6 users liked this post by yz250fPilot:
Harbgrogan (12-12-2022), JABCAT (12-07-2022), JockItch (12-07-2022), PRE-Z06 (12-07-2022), SwanSongZ (12-08-2022), ZRacerLE (12-07-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-07-2022, 03:38 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
These dyno numbers are all over the map. Let me know when they put it on a true electric dyno corrected for temperature and barometric pressure.
Last time I checked only 1 vendor has an SAE certified dyno. Only 1. Its easy to figure out which vendor. Their names begin's with the letter between B and D.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:35 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Buckx
That is not what that means. All it means is that dyno showed that number. There is another video where a dynamic shows a different number. The engine makes 670 hp just as advertised. These engines are SAE certified, they cannot underrated them. So many people don't understand this.
If I remember correctly, the engines output must be +/- 2% of rated hp to be SA certified. Maybe SS717's Z06 is one of those factory freaks I keep hearing about. (Not)
JG853 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 06:36 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,324 Likes on 1,983 Posts

In the latest video just released yesterday, Mike actually brings up to the Fabspeed crew that a lot of folks questioned the 640rwhp number from the first video, so kudos to him for bringing up the subject. Their explanation was that DCT’s are so efficient nowadays that the often see drivetrain loss of less than 10%
The following 4 users liked this post by JockItch:
ChevyChad (12-08-2022), Harbgrogan (12-12-2022), PRE-Z06 (12-08-2022), ZRacerLE (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 07:47 AM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Received 3,303 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
In the latest video just released yesterday, Mike actually brings up to the Fabspeed crew that a lot of folks questioned the 640rwhp number from the first video, so kudos to him for bringing up the subject. Their explanation was that DCT’s are so efficient nowadays that the often see drivetrain loss of less than 10%
One guy said with some of their cars "there's almost like no drive train loss". True miracle workers!
The following 4 users liked this post by ZRacerLE:
ChevyChad (12-08-2022), Harbgrogan (12-12-2022), JockItch (12-08-2022), PRE-Z06 (12-08-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Makes 640WHP on DynoJet

Old 12-08-2022, 07:53 AM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,302 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
Yep- just watched his latest video this morning with the results (666 rwhp). So they gained 26 rwhp and claimed to be 30-40 lbs lighter with their setup. I do believe the +26 rwhp and the weight delta. Those are easy and straight forward and legit numbers IMO.

Still not believeing a <5% drivetrain loss just because it is a DCT when the majority of C8 stingrays are in the ~10% ballpark and they have a similar DCT setup. So that argument does not hold up with that logic.

Either way, the new exhaust sounds awesome from what I can tell in the video and it definitely picked up HP and lost weight. So it is still a good mod regardless of what the dyno is saying HP-wise.
The following 3 users liked this post by ChevyChad:
Harbgrogan (12-12-2022), PRE-Z06 (12-08-2022), SwanSongZ (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 08:21 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Yep- just watched his latest video this morning with the results (666 rwhp). So they gained 26 rwhp and claimed to be 30-40 lbs lighter with their setup. I do believe the +26 rwhp and the weight delta. Those are easy and straight forward and legit numbers IMO.

Still not believeing a <5% drivetrain loss just because it is a DCT when the majority of C8 stingrays are in the ~10% ballpark and they have a similar DCT setup. So that argument does not hold up with that logic.

Either way, the new exhaust sounds awesome from what I can tell in the video and it definitely picked up HP and lost weight. So it is still a good mod regardless of what the dyno is saying HP-wise.
The only real difference than C8 is the CF wheels, though with them and tires being bigger are they even lighter than base wheels overall? Is the Z06 clutch assembly lighter than the base C8 to cut down on drivetrain loss?
Old 12-08-2022, 09:27 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
The only real difference than C8 is the CF wheels, though with them and tires being bigger are they even lighter than base wheels overall? Is the Z06 clutch assembly lighter than the base C8 to cut down on drivetrain loss?
The kid with the red car has carbon wheels to, exact same spec basically, and his car made high 590s then ultimately 608 or 610 I believe they were SAE. The paper on the yellow car video does say SAE in the top right. I personally don't believe it and I think the dyno is reading high. 600-610 is right where a 670 horse DCT car should be.
The following 5 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
ChevyChad (12-08-2022), Harbgrogan (12-12-2022), JockItch (12-14-2022), PRE-Z06 (12-08-2022), range96 (12-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Z06 Makes 640WHP on DynoJet