Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Rather have Z06 or….

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 08:41 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Im with the original poster. I can afford any of these cars yet the practicality of the z06 wins hands down.

Who wants a car that is a mistress or better term pain in the @$$.

not me. I want what GM and the corvette team offers...
a durable everyday sports car. Thats what the corvette is.

im a little concerned with the quick delay at launch of the z06 and not 100 percent convinced it was all supplier related but Im willing to give the z06 a shot for my next daily driver.

if I didnt have a reservation on a z06 or couldnt get one Id keep my lt2 powered z51 c8.

maybe the E ray if the z06 wait becomes too long?

Old 10-05-2022, 08:42 PM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 722 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetterook
To me, this is the ultimate sports car — mid-engine, NA FPC V8, daily-drivable. Before this car, my all-time favorite was the 458. I was shocked when Ferrari abandoned the NA FPC V8 given its uniqueness within the super car world, and how closely most associated it with the essence of Ferrari. I was even more shocked when I first heard GM was developing a larger displacement version of the same basic engine concept. Having seen extensive video of the LT6 — and the overall Z06 package — in action, I can honestly say this is the car I would buy irrespective of price. I just want it more than any other new sports/super car on offer. In my view (and I’m certainly not alone), this is the spiritual successor to the 458. As such, I no-kidding want this car more than I do any sports car on sale today under $400K. Fortunately, though it’s by no measure cheap, it’s actually “affordable” and I suspect it’ll hold value far better than most cars on sale today given what it is and how its kind will soon be extinct.

Question for the group is, price aside, would you rather have a Z06 or one of the following, and why: GT3, Turbo S, 720, Artura, F8, 296, Huracan or R8?
=-==========
I have been informed by very savvy knowledgeable owners/drivers that the new Ferrari 296 GTB is the very best of the best. 830HP and it sounds magnificent . Some have told me it sounds like a V12 which is hard to fathom as its a twin turbo V6 with GPFs and CATS and a single outlet. One customer has owned SF90, GT3RS, GT2RS, 720S spider, 488, and has a 458 specialize and said the 296GTB is better than all of the above. That being all these cars are different and should be enjoyed and appreciated .
=========================
By the end of the year I should have a 296 GTB infor development. In the meantime thanks fully Chevy Z06 is making awesome music and lots of Videos. Hopefully- Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson review the car and make us proud!

Clarkson and Harris are the best reviewers
Old 10-05-2022, 08:49 PM
LuckyCharmsYo
Pro

Received 1,137 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I kind of completely agree with your list except the R8. It does absolutely nothing for me! It is NOT an attractive car IMO. That all said, these what would you take over a Z06 are really silly IMO. I know I want a Z06 and price is not an issue and I am not thinking what I'll take over it. TBH, I just want the Z06 now and it's been years since I've been so excited about a car as much as I have been with the Z06. Bravo GM for giving me this feeling!
It's not for everyone, I suppose. The R8 first came out right around the time I was getting my license as a kid, and seeing it in the Iron Man movie was huge. Stuck with me. So even now, there's always the thought in the back of my mind...maybe I should get an R8?

I would absolutely have bought one recently if the used car market didn't end up going totally insane.
The following users liked this post:
DaveFerrari458 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:04 PM
Vetterook
Instructor

Received 216 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joefab
=-==========
I have been informed by very savvy knowledgeable owners/drivers that the new Ferrari 296 GTB is the very best of the best. 830HP and it sounds magnificent . Some have told me it sounds like a V12 which is hard to fathom as its a twin turbo V6 with GPFs and CATS and a single outlet. One customer has owned SF90, GT3RS, GT2RS, 720S spider, 488, and has a 458 specialize and said the 296GTB is better than all of the above. That being all these cars are different and should be enjoyed and appreciated .
=========================
By the end of the year I should have a 296 GTB infor development. In the meantime thanks fully Chevy Z06 is making awesome music and lots of Videos. Hopefully- Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson review the car and make us proud!

Clarkson and Harris are the best reviewers https://youtu.be/lCyroEjAnKo
Great response/feedback. I will say that of all Ferraris on offer the 296 is my favorite.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:09 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Hopefully- Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson review the car and make us proud!

Clarkson and Harris are the best reviewers https://youtu.be/lCyroEjAnKo
Seriously you need confirmation from Clarkson, and Harris to make you proud. Have you ever seen a review from Clarkson, and Harris that was complementary toward Corvette. Clarkson is hopelessly condscending and Harris is dismissive. Clarkson is entertaining and sometimes funny if you understand the competitive relationship that Clarkson imagines exists between G.B. and the USA. Harris has never driven a Porsche that he didn't slobber over. He's a very talented driver but his reviews whether complementary, or critical will not make me proud. Maybe you need to rethink your perception, and expectations of the new Z06.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:24 PM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 722 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Seriously you need confirmation from Clarkson, and Harris to make you proud. Have you ever seen a review from Clarkson, and Harris that was complementary toward Corvette. Clarkson is hopelessly condscending and Harris is dismissive. Clarkson is entertaining and sometimes funny if you understand the competitive relationship that Clarkson imagines exists between G.B. and the USA. Harris has never driven a Porsche that he didn't slobber over. He's a very talented driver but his reviews whether complementary, or critical will not make me proud. Maybe you need to rethink your perception, and expectations of the new Z06.
===========
i agree with you the Europeans are discerning and tough and often “anti- American iron”. Many of the previous American muscle cars only accelerated hard and could not stop nor handle .

The new C8Z06 is a whole new European mid-engined style supercar and has all the speed and emotional tactile Ferrari like supercar feel.

That being said Clarkson liked the C7ZR1 and there is great video of him blazing around. Clarkson’s dry sense of humor and driving ability is great and then there is Chris Harris formerly of Top Gear UK. Now his new channel is collecting cars. This is the type of review we need for the C8Z06. Harris just completed the 992 GT3RS.

Dont get angry with me Im a multiple corvette owner ……….BUT Chevy will need a Z06 GTLM in the near future. GT3RS will soon post a 6’ high 40s Ring time.
After 4 years Chevy should release the Kraken a Z06 GTD PRO or something more hardcore. Lets give credit where credit is due. The GT3RS is nutzs and cool. I raced hard for 15 years in a 993 RS 3.8 and had a blast. This GT3RS has No frunk only space behind rear seats after you fight your clothes over/under the real carbon roll bar. Would you sample and drive a 992 GT3RS? I’d suffer in one along with a wild revvin C8Z06 getting terrible gas mileage and a bumpy ride. Great times for high revving ICE engines.

C7ZR1 Clarkson Top Gear

Last edited by Joefab; 10-05-2022 at 10:11 PM.
Skeptical (10-06-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:35 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 50 Posts

===========
i agree with you the Europeans are discerning and tough and often “anti- American iron”. Many of the previous American muscle cars only accelerated hard and could not stop nor handle .

The new C8Z06 is a whole new European mid-engined style supercar and has all the speed and emotional tactile Ferrari like supercar feel.

That being said Clarkson liked the C7ZR1 and there is great video of him blazing around. Clarkson’s dry sense of humor and driving ability is great and then there is Chris Harris formerly of Top Gear UK. Now his new channel is collecting cars. This is the type of review we need for the C8Z06. Harris just completed the 992 GT3RS.

Dont get angry with me Im a multiple corvette owner ……….BUT Chevy will need a Z06 GTLM in the near future. After 4 years release the Kraken. I give credit where credit is due.

https://youtu.be/l_9F8UgWa7Y
Agreed. Even since the C6 ZR1, we get close BUT evidently Chevrolet thinks we want both comfort and ability. Porsche understands that we want one or the other on occasion. GT3/4RS for me if they were easy to get. Unfortunately, getting one of these is an act of G*D, ecen more-so than a Z.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:04 PM
gtrguy
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Never had a vette but had gt3 and ferrari in past. Speciale aperta is my dream car bar none and I would still take it over z06. But that's about it other than 992 vt3 if I wanted a stick but after 40 continuous yrs of clutch pedal, I'm over it.

Z06 is closest thing to speciale aperta there is. Not interested in turbos, hybrids, ev, or gull wing doors so ferrari and McLaren are out. Lambos are claustrophobic interiors, value show over go, and even less graceful styling than vette.

So yup z06 is my #1 choice now and I haven't had an American car in over 40 yrs. Good job team z06
Old 10-05-2022, 11:47 PM
Vetterook
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtrguy
Never had a vette but had gt3 and ferrari in past. Speciale aperta is my dream car bar none and I would still take it over z06. But that's about it other than 992 vt3 if I wanted a stick but after 40 continuous yrs of clutch pedal, I'm over it.

Z06 is closest thing to speciale aperta there is. Not interested in turbos, hybrids, ev, or gull wing doors so ferrari and McLaren are out. Lambos are claustrophobic interiors, value show over go, and even less graceful styling than vette.

So yup z06 is my #1 choice now and I haven't had an American car in over 40 yrs. Good job team z06
Amen
Old 10-06-2022, 12:26 AM
kman52
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bought a 991.2 turbo s after gm production number flop. Jb4 box for $400 and it'll make the same hp numbers. C8 anesthetics will not age well imo. I'm already a bit tired of looking at them.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:07 AM
Vetterook
Instructor

Originally Posted by kman52
Bought a 991.2 turbo s after gm production number flop. Jb4 box for $400 and it'll make the same hp numbers. C8 anesthetics will not age well imo. I'm already a bit tired of looking at them.
While the Stingray design is pretty uninspiring, the Z06, especially in base form, is a massive step forward aesthetically and one that I think will age pretty well. It redresses every “if only” issue I have with the Stingray: the relatively narrow flanks making the fenders appear too sharp-edge; the ungainly front and rear fascias; the half-sized side intakes; the ugly rear spoiler and the even uglier wheels. I say especially in base form because I’m not at all a fan of rear wings on mid-engine cars and the front dive planes sort of ruin the visual balance of the otherwise spot-on front fascia.
ArmchairArchitect (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 02:15 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,985 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by kman52
Maybe if GM had kept the same basic design for like 70 years and just tweaking it then we would be all brainwashed that it would somehow be a timeless design 🤔........Btw I think the C8 Z06 will age very well. It's a proper looking Supercar!
Old 10-06-2022, 02:56 AM
Skeptical
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

A 488 Pista would be a fine car to park in my Garage as well. To add to my previous list.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:11 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Maybe if GM had kept the same basic design for like 70 years and just tweaking it then we would be all brainwashed that it would somehow be a timeless design 🤔........Btw I think the C8 Z06 will age very well. It's a proper looking Supercar!

No brainwashing needed, it is a timeless design, that is why Porsche keeps it and it's why people are willing to pay big money for them, because they like the way they look.
Remember, looks are subjective.
The following 2 users liked this post by vrybad:
-ZEEOHSIX- (10-06-2022), michael510 (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 10:34 AM
yz250fPilot
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 251 Posts

While the Stingray design is pretty uninspiring, the Z06, especially in base form, is a massive step forward aesthetically and one that I think will age pretty well. It redresses every “if only” issue I have with the Stingray: the relatively narrow flanks making the fenders appear too sharp-edge; the ungainly front and rear fascias; the half-sized side intakes; the ugly rear spoiler and the even uglier wheels. I say especially in base form because I’m not at all a fan of rear wings on mid-engine cars and the front dive planes sort of ruin the visual balance of the otherwise spot-on front fascia.
Agreed, my friends and I do not care for the Stingray as it is too 'choppy' looking.

I'm hoping you're right about the C8Z as I have not seen one in person yet. I didn't care for the C7 until I saw the C7Z and fell in love with the C7Z and Grand Sport.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:49 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vrybad

No brainwashing needed, it is a timeless design, that is why Porsche keeps it and it's why people are willing to pay big money for them, because they like the way they look.
Remember, looks are subjective.
You're absolutely wrong! They are forced to keep the current design scheme because they were handcuffed to their rear engine layout and couldn't do crazy aesthetic changes. This "timeless" design is more by force rather than choice and that is why some people don't pay any money for them because the looks don't do anything for them.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:11 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I think a lot of the styling design is based off general customer needs. The general customer is going to daily drive and will want comfort over performance. So it’s going to be a bigger car for cargo capacity and lots of sound deadening. Everything in the car will be power adjustable. The C8 stingray is already a wide car. But I’ve heard a lot of people wanted it even wider leading up to the Z06 reveal.

I think that’s the only way they can make the car look more aggressive is make it fatter versus European cars. You don’t see that with Lamborghini or Ferrari as the initial design is fantastic and they end up just sculpting in ducts, vents or fins into the original clean base design for their hipo variants. The 458 has the same width as a base C8 but could you imagine the gnashing of teeth if the Z06 didn’t get wider?

I think a lot of the weight in the current Z is mainly customer comfort specific, not performance oriented or “we can’t help it the weight is all critical structure”.

Get notified of new replies

To Rather have Z06 or….

Old 10-06-2022, 12:37 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

You're absolutely wrong! They are forced to keep the current design scheme because they were handcuffed to their rear engine layout and couldn't do crazy aesthetic changes. This "timeless" design is more by force rather than choice and that is why some people don't pay any money for them because the looks don't do anything for them.
You keep forgetting that looks are subjective.
Some people don't buy corvettes "because the looks don't do anything for them".
People continue to buy 911's of differing levels and pay good money to do so.
Why do you think Porsche is, as you say, "handcuffed" to the 911 body style?
In my opinion, it's because people like it and want it to continue, with some subtle revisions.
That's right, the buying public didn't want Porsche to change the iconic design by moving drivetrain bits around too much.
And Porsche likes the business they get with the 911 so it stays put.
You seem to miss the fact that Porsche doesn't generally do "crazy aesthetic changes" to their cars (hence, the 911 body style evolution), they create new models that offer different aesthetics.
The 911 body style is absolutely timeless (to Porschephiles, of course, and other car enthusiasts) regardless of the fact they have other chassis/body designs that offer different visual and performance perspectives.
maxxmuscle (10-19-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 01:31 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vrybad
You keep forgetting that looks are subjective.
Some people don't buy corvettes "because the looks don't do anything for them".
People continue to buy 911's of differing levels and pay good money to do so.
Why do you think Porsche is, as you say, "handcuffed" to the 911 body style?
In my opinion, it's because people like it and want it to continue, with some subtle revisions.
That's right, the buying public didn't want Porsche to change the iconic design by moving drivetrain bits around too much.
And Porsche likes the business they get with the 911 so it stays put.
You seem to miss the fact that Porsche doesn't generally do "crazy aesthetic changes" to their cars (hence, the 911 body style evolution), they create new models that offer different aesthetics.
The 911 body style is absolutely timeless (to Porschephiles, of course, and other car enthusiasts) regardless of the fact they have other chassis/body designs that offer different visual and performance perspectives.
You are correct that looks are subjective and imo it's neither timeless or attractive. Fyi, Porsche would have been bankrupt like 20 years ago if it had to rely solely on 911 sales. SUV's saved them.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:22 PM
416vette
Burning Brakes

Received 771 Likes on 364 Posts

You are correct that looks are subjective and imo it's neither timeless or attractive. Fyi, Porsche would have been bankrupt like 20 years ago if it had to rely solely on 911 sales. SUV's saved them.
As opposed to GM's bailout funded by taxpayers?
The following 2 users liked this post by 416vette:
BudgetPlan1 (10-07-2022), michael510 (10-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Rather have Z06 or….