Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

October 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 12:18 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts

If Z06 gets a very good review from this channel, it will be very impressive. These guys are pretty much the only channel in youtube that does a very thorough review of any car they are working with. They spend as much as 30-40% of the time under the car going over all relevant components. They drive the car in track, on the road, talk about anything from sound system to leather quality to seats to tire performance. No one is perfect and I'm sure some of the things they say is subjective but they are as objective as you can get in youtube. They like GT3s and other 911s because as much as people here subjectively hate the looks of a 911, objectively it is the best in class. So a channel like theirs favoring GT3s make sense as everyone, which I bet my money on includes the top Corvette engineers, know that GT3 elevates that segment to levels that no one else can. Nothing wrong with that.

Here is their GT3 review and this is what they will compare Z06 against. There is also a segment in that video where one of the senior Porsche execs talk about C8 which what I consider a positive comment. I'm pretty sure Porsche people in stuttgart is damn impressed with Z06.

The following 5 users liked this post by UnhandledException:
fzust (09-25-2022), JockItch (09-22-2022), nitrojunky (09-22-2022), VAF84 (09-26-2022), Zerofun (09-24-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 12:28 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,332 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException
If Z06 gets a very good review from this channel, it will be very impressive. These guys are pretty much the only channel in youtube that does a very thorough review of any car they are working with. They spend as much as 30-40% of the time under the car going over all relevant components. They drive the car in track, on the road, talk about anything from sound system to leather quality to seats to tire performance. No one is perfect and I'm sure some of the things they say is subjective but they are as objective as you can get in youtube. They like GT3s and other 911s because as much as people here subjectively hate the looks of a 911, objectively it is the best in class. So a channel like theirs favoring GT3s make sense as everyone, which I bet my money on includes the top Corvette engineers, know that GT3 elevates that segment to levels that no one else can. Nothing wrong with that.

Here is their GT3 review and this is what they will compare Z06 against. There is also a segment in that video where one of the senior Porsche execs talk about C8 which what I consider a positive comment. I'm pretty sure Porsche people in stuttgart is damn impressed with Z06.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF7jDHIAfL8

I’m expecting a similarly in depth review. Don’t think they’ll be able to get it up on a lift like they often do, but I expect the content to be very detailed regardless. They know how big this review will be given the hype of the car. Wondering if they tested a Z07 as well?

Old 09-22-2022, 07:53 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Typical Porsche homer. Don’t give two ***** what he thinks. Forgot more than he knows about Corvette’s.
The following 2 users liked this post by meadowz06:
ArmchairArchitect (09-24-2022), TysonsCorner (09-24-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 07:57 PM
Tactical-Speed
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 522 Posts

We've already seen & heard it. We need real track numbers and such. Anything less & it'll just be more of the scam/circus GM has been running with
The following 2 users liked this post by Tactical-Speed:
AustinVetter (09-22-2022), fzust (09-25-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 08:42 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical-Speed
We've already seen & heard it. We need real track numbers and such. Anything less & it'll just be more of the scam/circus GM has been running with
Welp, savagegeese doesn't give track numbers, so you won't care for it. What he does give is an in depth review on street and on track, and provides a pretty straight evaluation of cars. He seems to be on point for the cars I own and have owned, including calling out their faults.
The following users liked this post:
JockItch (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 09:07 PM
Tactical-Speed
Drifting

Originally Posted by nitrojunky
Welp, savagegeese doesn't give track numbers, so you won't care for it. What he does give is an in depth review on street and on track, and provides a pretty straight evaluation of cars. He seems to be on point for the cars I own and have owned, including calling out their faults.
Well unless we're getting numbers out of it it doesn't mean anything. He could say it's wonderful feels great on the track It's probably a supercar killer blah blah blah well it needs to be proven just like anything else for any other car. The butt dyno is Not appropriate at this point. Maybe for a car everyone already had numbers for and it was on the street yada yada, but not this overhyped overpriced machine

There's a reason GM hasn't given us any numbers on this car and they are not good reasons obviously. If this was some amazing vehicle that they were super proud of they would have already released these world beating numbers. Clearly the car underperforms and that's why they won't sell it to us now.

It's probably not worth keeping and only worth flipping at this point while the hype is still around. I have a feeling that a lot of people, aside from the old men that just cruise at 50-mile per hour and never actually drive these cars, are going to be really disappointed.

Last edited by Tactical-Speed; 09-22-2022 at 10:49 PM.
AustinVetter (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 09:37 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,258 Likes on 2,186 Posts

I totally agree on the track numbers etc.

But don't forget there are still A LOT of people who want this car because it will be the last of it's kind. After this it's hybrid, or maybe straight to EV in the C9.

This is similar to those who are buying an MKV supra with the manual because that'll be the last of it's kind. Or a porsche GT3 manual.

So yes it's really about track numbers with these cars but that's not really the entire story when it comes to buying them.

When i get my C8Z, the car will never see a track in it's life. I am only getting this car literally for it's engine.
Higgs Boson (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 10:29 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK

But don't forget there are still A LOT of people who want this car because it will be the last of it's kind. After this it's hybrid, or maybe straight to EV in the C9.

This is similar to those who are buying an MKV supra with the manual because that'll be the last of it's kind. Or a porsche GT3 manual.

So yes it's really about track numbers with these cars but that's not really the entire story when it comes to buying them.

When i get my C8Z, the car will never see a track in it's life. I am only getting this car literally for it's engine.
The irony of this car going to people like you and not actual track rats because of the running costs. Pretty hilarious.
The following 3 users liked this post by ZRacerLE:
427Z0SX (09-24-2022), JG853 (09-24-2022), Tactical-Speed (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 10:50 PM
Tactical-Speed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK

It's not the last ICE car & maybe not even last FPC.

Also, you mean the BMW SUpra? lol ok

I like how you say your will NEVER hit the track. WTF?! I don't plan to track mine, but I would happily do so if given the right opportunity
vettesweetnos (09-23-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 11:06 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

I watched savage geese’s C8 reviews just now back to back. If these guys come out with even a 8 or 9 out of 10 for the Z06, I am going to be super happy. In terms of steering feel, connectedness, brake pressure feedback, rawness in cabin, savage geese is really the best in youtube business. Your average Corvette review spends too much time in engine location and the sharp edges of the body panels and the digital dash. Majority of the C8 reviews are like Tesla Plaid reviews for a sports car. Savage geese does a proper review with a street driving, track driving, interior and exterior as well as under the car aspects. Its as thorough as it gets.

They have had some very important and concerning comments about the C8. The steering feedback (not just how quickly car turns but rather how the steering wheel communicates back), brake pedal feel, understeer are my biggest question marks about the Z06. Will GM really give us an emotional, connected, raw naturally aspirated car to remind us a 458 or GT3? Or is it just a more powerful, louder, wider C8 with similar disconnectedness, numbness, and isolation? The weight of the Z06 at 3800 lbs is going against it so they need to work harder to make the car more connected.
The following 2 users liked this post by UnhandledException:
VAF84 (09-26-2022), Zerofun (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 12:23 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Just a few more days to a week and the embargos lifted.

I'm excited to have access to performance reviews of professional journalists.

i figured a year or two until delivery so this should be fun.

hopefully we can go back to annual product releases that show why corvette and general motors are among the best nmanufacturers out there.

doesnt mean there arent other great marques like ferrari, lamborghini, mclaren or porsche.

just means the bar has been raised by the corvette team.

we often hear from exotic car owners and more so their enthusiast followers who troll on this site that a vehicle is much more than its numbers etc..(when their preferred brand gets bounced) so it should be fun either way the performance numbers fall.

jmo
Old 09-24-2022, 02:06 PM
khartford
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by UnhandledException

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF7jDHIAfL8
I watched the video and I was impressed by the GT3. The problem is that a well- equipped GT3 can be as much as $266 K + admin fee so you are looking at $300K + out the door. You can still buy a Z06 for as little as $105K with no admin. I am on a list where the dealer is charging MSRP and 2 other volume dealers within a 30 mile radius are also selling at MSRP.
It really is an apples to oranges comparison. The Z06 will be a bargain supercar. 95% of Z06 owners will never track their car. The GT3 is aimed at the affluent, sophisticated track day guy while the Z06 will appeal to a larger demographic. Both cars will fulfill their purpose.
TGChris2 (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 02:38 PM
LuckyCharmsYo
Pro

Received 1,135 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by khartford
I watched the video and I was impressed by the GT3. The problem is that a well- equipped GT3 can be as much as $266 K + admin fee so you are looking at $300K + out the door. You can still buy a Z06 for as little as $105K with no admin. I am on a list where the dealer is charging MSRP and 2 other volume dealers within a 30 mile radius are also selling at MSRP.
It really is an apples to oranges comparison. The Z06 will be a bargain supercar. 95% of Z06 owners will never track their car. The GT3 is aimed at the affluent, sophisticated track day guy while the Z06 will appeal to a larger demographic. Both cars will fulfill their purpose.
We'll see, right? I don't think we can start claiming that when we know literally nothing about the performance of the car other than a reported 0-60.
Tactical-Speed (09-24-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 04:04 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,627 Likes on 1,746 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Stop the personal attacks
Old 09-24-2022, 04:17 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,258 Likes on 2,186 Posts

It's not the last ICE car & maybe not even last FPC.

Also, you mean the BMW SUpra? lol ok

I like how you say your will NEVER hit the track. WTF?! I don't plan to track mine, but I would happily do so if given the right opportunity
It's still a supra even though it's powered by BMW and have BMW tech drizzled all over it. The badge says toyota supra. So it's a supra. People have been praying to have it in a manual and toyota/BMW granted their wish. There will be no MKVI supra with a manual. Hell i wouldn't even be surprised if the MKVI is full EV.

The C8 z06 IS the last ICE z06 IMHO. If there is a C9 z06, it won't be ICE. And GM would really stick it to everyone if they did a hybrid what? Hybrid 6 cyl? Hybrid 4 cyl? That will exceed 670hp? That's what you want? lol

Nope. Because the next gen z06 (if there is a z06 in the C9), will be FULL EV. Especially if the C8 generation lasts until 2030. Are people forgetting about the 2035 gas ban?

And no i won't track my C8Z. Don't care for it. Even if there was a track around the corner from my house. Still won't do it. It's not the distance that's stopping me from tracking any of my cars. I just like street driving high performance cars instead.

And like i said i'm getting the z06 for the engine. I probably would never even touch 10 or 20% of it's capabilities on the street with it's awesome suspension and cornering ability.

I want the engine. That's it.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:35 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by khartford
You are making it apples to oranges. Where did you get a $266k Msrp gt3? My GT3 that as I would order is was $224k msrp and it was very fully loaded with options that arent even available in a Z06. That same person, me, who configured $224k gt3 is now ordering a Z06 for $179k msrp. Both msrp, yes I had an allocation for gt3 at msrp that I turned down (because I have a gt3rs already which I like the looks more). So they are $50k apart. GT3 msrp starts at $167k but it comes with everything you need to post the record lap times. Z06 in its base msrp form doesnt have Z07, aero, CF wheels. Add those and with gas guzzler you are at $131k msrp. So an apples to apples is $35k of msrp difference. You are just exaggerating it to make it sound like gt3 is some unobtanium car. Yes its harder to get but the price difference over Z06 is well justified for its performance and agility. Its a full 600 lbs lighter than Z06. Thats like 3 adults. If you wanted your Z06 to weigh 600 lbs less, you’d be spending way more than $35k, just FYI.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:39 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,627 Likes on 1,746 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Enough.

Quick Reply: October 3rd