Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Corvette history repeating? I was around in the 80s & recall the ZR-1 launch debacle

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 07:36 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Redc8z06
Agree forget Corvette for a second all large corporations miss deadlines due to some unexpected issue. It's just a fact of life.

Funny story, totally off Corvette topic... but I was involved in a $xxB (back when $Billion was a lot of money) Corporate Initiative that was the CEO's Pet Project... (CEO lost his job, BTW, and settled for a $50M job at a Wall Street firm...sheesh!!)

It fell so far behind, that the "Program Director" announced to the Project Team that (and I quote)... "Alpha test is Friday... Beta will be Monday, and Market Launch Wednesday"

(BTW they couldn't get this sh*t to work in the lab for 9 mos...)

Needless to say... a bit of consternation.... so I have experienced Multi-Billion-Dollar Corporate Delusion first-hand.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:11 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

if you are interested in the corporate struggles to birth a new engine. The Heart of the Beast and Corvette from the Inside are both very good reads.

Corvette has flirted with fading away like the Rx7 and other sports cars and I for one am still impressed by the LT5 (I have an old LPE car) and the new king the LT6

The LT6 has a true racing heritage and is a very advanced engine worthy of the vette. While there are tremendous challenges to getting a new engine and car built, I for one am happy that GM chose to go for the "moon shot" with the LT6

Love to see a crate engine and stuff that engine into a super lightweight chassis and show what it can do. Disappointed that the cost is spiraling up out of reach, but I'm patient and once the shine wears off the next big thing, costs will come down.

The sure did for the c4 ZR-1 and history will repeat itself and the Z06 will come back to earth on valuation.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:37 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wthensler
Hahaha, that was almost my first Corvette. Dealer had white w/ red interior, 90 or 91 IIRC.

I’d finally earned a grad degree in engineering and was ready to have fun.

The ZR1 would not be it. I was appalled at the plastic and fit and finish (which the dealer said was standard fare, I was paying for performance). And I recall it drove like a tank, though perhaps I needed more seat time.

In the end, I bailed. I don’t remember the specs, only that Jerome Brown had a fatal accident with his nephew in one.

And, ZR1 folks were bummed when the regular Vette came out with the square taillights a year or so later.
I never liked how the regular Corvette looked extremely similar to the ZR-1.
Regarding your impression of the interior, the base 911 at the time was no better, or worse.

Quick Reply: Corvette history repeating? I was around in the 80s & recall the ZR-1 launch debacle