Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Corvette and killing dealerships (middle man)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 10:29 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 456 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Corvette and killing dealerships (middle man)

This is the model that Corvette should adopt. Every American needs to demand this!!!!

Last edited by imxz28; 08-01-2022 at 08:11 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by imxz28:
ArmchairArchitect (07-31-2022), JockItch (07-31-2022), KOTYKB (07-31-2022), Too-Fast (07-31-2022), ZRacerLE (07-31-2022)

Popular Reply

07-31-2022, 02:02 AM
Anjin
4th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
Ok but some folks wont know how to sell trade ins etc! They may need trade money for new purchase.

i see alot of issues.
problem is alot of folks go to dealership, ill informed. They dont know what they want snd land on a car they havent researched.
Alot of folks have to be lead, they dont know what their doing.
Then those folk should continue to go to the dealer. Direct-to-consumer sales from GM for customers who know what they want and don't want the hassle.

Let's see how long dealerships last in direct competition with a service that lets you order a car like you're buying t-shirts on Amazon. If dealers do in fact provide an important service then they should have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:45 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,340 Likes on 591 Posts

Ok but some folks wont know how to sell trade ins etc! They may need trade money for new purchase.

i see alot of issues.
problem is alot of folks go to dealership, ill informed. They dont know what they want snd land on a car they havent researched.
The following users liked this post:
Glennm27 (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:09 PM
MsEllie
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Yup. Have to agree. Many of us have witnessed extremely sketchy business ethics from dealers. Dealer associations have been unable to professionalize the trade and government can only regulate a certain amount to preclude the worst of humanity. I have much empathy for Farley's dealership model dilemma.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:02 AM
Anjin
4th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2

i see alot of issues.
Then those folk should continue to go to the dealer. Direct-to-consumer sales from GM for customers who know what they want and don't want the hassle.

Let's see how long dealerships last in direct competition with a service that lets you order a car like you're buying t-shirts on Amazon. If dealers do in fact provide an important service then they should have nothing to worry about.
The following 10 users liked this post by Anjin:
ArmchairArchitect (07-31-2022), BrakeFade (07-31-2022), chrismoe1 (07-31-2022), FlipMyZ06 (07-31-2022), JockItch (07-31-2022), kevinprimetime (07-31-2022), smithers (07-31-2022), Too-Fast (07-31-2022), Zerofun (07-31-2022), ZRacerLE (07-31-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-31-2022, 09:06 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I really like the idea of going on a website with the capability to spec your car, with the pricing listed, and then being able to track the order. Dealers could handle delivery, service and pre-owned vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Too-Fast:
chrismoe1 (07-31-2022), ZRacerLE (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 11:00 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,574 Likes on 863 Posts

This will happen when manufactures like GM go all electric.
protegeV (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 01:44 PM
Jetolso
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 111 Posts

If Tesla can do it - they all can. It would just be 1-4 years of pain but then all is well.
kevinprimetime (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 02:54 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,543 Likes on 4,277 Posts

The drawbacks to this model is that there's no price negotiation. When the economy gets back to normal, and it will, you can't play one dealer against another to get the best discount. You pay what Ford says you pay, period. And if you watch Tesla, this model doesn't mean no price gouging. Tesla has ramped up prices dramatically in the last few months to reflect lower supply and high demand. The only difference is that Tesla pockets the profits instead of a dealer.

And Ford had to create a new organization within the company, and make dealers sign a new franchise agreement if they want to sell / service electric cars. Ford and GM's current dealer franchise agreements won't allow this. GM, of course, could do something similar if they choose to.
racerx1909 (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 02:56 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,543 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetolso
If Tesla can do it - they all can. It would just be 1-4 years of pain but then all is well.
Ask Tesla owners how much hassle they have getting their cars serviced. When there's only one seller, and only one service provider, you have classic monopoly problems. If my local Chevy dealer can't satisfy me, I can go to another. If Tesla service doesn't satisfy me, i just go to..... yeah, there is no other choice.

Oh, and Tesla doesn't sell cars in all states, because not all states allow manufacturers to bypass dealers. If you live in one of those states and want a Tesla, you have to go to another state to pick it up and have it serviced. Very convenient.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:02 PM
protegeV
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It's coming, for sure. Not all at once and not full tesla mode, but it's coming one way or another. It's already started in retail with the death of cashiers and full self-checkout.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:55 PM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Ford wants to take out the dealer ok np. Then all they need to do is buy out all the nations dealerships open and create retail establishments and service centers nation wide. Oh and staff them and deal with running a retail establishment. That means all the good and bad that comes with. Oh and did I mention the added overhead expense? lol just wait till you guys get what you wishing for. Remember that old saying be careful what you wish for? Cause you might just get it? Ya that one. Ford is fucked in the head honestly. All of a sudden they care for the customer so much after all these years? Ok I have a bridge fire sale to. Very very cheap. Any takers?
Old 07-31-2022, 05:19 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,337 Likes on 675 Posts

The only part of a Dealership I think sucks is the finance doofus…….. The advertised internet price is the lowest price there is no need to negotiate anything other than battle the ******* trying to add % to your loan if your taking one.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:27 PM
NA Screamer
Pro

Received 361 Likes on 187 Posts

(This is in response to a deleted post by a user that during the car buying process half the lying comes from the customer. That's the dumbest thing I've read on here. I see why he deleted his post.)

With at least 95% of customers, the dealer has information dominance. The universe is full of stories of dealers putting the screws to the customer, and there seems to be a relative dearth of stories that begin with "Oh, this poor, innocent car dealer just got screwed by a lying, deceitful sack of s#!# customer."

The vast majority of car dealers are one step above the shady, devious, pressure tactics of the mattress industry. There are always exceptions. A Kia general manager gave my buddy (a single dad who really needed a new car) a Kia SUV for MSRP when they all were selling for several thousand over at every dealer in the area. Multiple dealers let us walk out when we wouldn't offer more than MSRP.

Last edited by NA Screamer; 07-31-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:58 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
Ask Tesla owners how much hassle they have getting their cars serviced. When there's only one seller, and only one service provider, you have classic monopoly problems. If my local Chevy dealer can't satisfy me, I can go to another. If Tesla service doesn't satisfy me, i just go to..... yeah, there is no other choice.

Oh, and Tesla doesn't sell cars in all states, because not all states allow manufacturers to bypass dealers. If you live in one of those states and want a Tesla, you have to go to another state to pick it up and have it serviced. Very convenient.
Not true. I live in CT and had to pick my car up in NY, but I have a local service center in CT and Tesla actually does most minor repairs via mobile repair technicians. They come to your house, Tesla was blocked from being able to sell vehicles directly in s9me states, but not having them serviced.
kevinprimetime (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 07:08 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,337 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by NA Screamer
(This is in response to a deleted post by a user that during the car buying process half the lying comes from the customer. That's the dumbest thing I've read on here. I see why he deleted his post.)

With at least 95% of customers, the dealer has information dominance. The universe is full of stories of dealers putting the screws to the customer, and there seems to be a relative dearth of stories that begin with "Oh, this poor, innocent car dealer just got screwed by a lying, deceitful sack of s#!# customer."

The vast majority of car dealers are one step above the shady, devious, pressure tactics of the mattress industry. There are always exceptions. A Kia general manager gave my buddy (a single dad who really needed a new car) a Kia SUV for MSRP when they all were selling for several thousand over at every dealer in the area. Multiple dealers let us walk out when we wouldn't offer more than MSRP.
Bullshit, the customers lie non stop to the most basic questions. How’s the credit ?? Oh it’s good good and half the time they can’t afford to pay attention.
Do you have a trade in ?? No, no trade in, the doofus is trying to beat down the price of the car then negotiate the trade….. Was you trade ever in an accident ? Oh no no and it has a salvage title or OBVIOUS repair work. How much do you want to put down then they’re trying to put the down payment on multiple credit cards and or a post dated check. The only thing dumb is whining someone NEEDS a new Kia and like your marital status or sob story entitled anyone to a better price. FREE MARKET

harley2 (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 07:46 PM
NA Screamer
Pro

Received 361 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
Bullshit, the customers lie non stop to the most basic questions. How’s the credit ?? Oh it’s good good and half the time they can’t afford to pay attention.
Do you have a trade in ?? No, no trade in, the doofus is trying to beat down the price of the car then negotiate the trade….. Was you trade ever in an accident ? Oh no no and it has a salvage title or OBVIOUS repair work. How much do you want to put down then they’re trying to put the down payment on multiple credit cards and or a post dated check. The only thing dumb is whining someone NEEDS a new Kia and like your marital status or sob story entitled anyone to a better price. FREE MARKET
Dealers are more frequently victimized by manipulative customers than vice versa? Haha.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:48 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz

I have had zero issues getting my Tesla serviced. I log into the app, tell them the problem and they schedule a time to come to my house and fix it. I have 17,000 miles on the Tesla. I had two minor issues addressed in the first two months. Absolutely painless! They do provide service in states where they can’t sell vehicles. They are different animals.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:59 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
I really like the idea of going on a website with the capability to spec your car, with the pricing listed, and then being able to track the order. Dealers could handle delivery, service and pre-owned vehicles.
many folks have long advocated system like that-including me.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:16 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,340 Likes on 591 Posts

Your average citizen could maybe order a car.but wouldn’t know how to deal with the car the already own.l
loan payoffs new financing title work etc, they need the dealer.
your average citizen half the time don’t even know what they want. So they go to the dealership and go from car to car.
You guys on here have an understanding most people would be lost.
they need someone to lead them. Most folks dont even know if they got screwed.as long as they leave with a payment and
a car their happy with. All is good.

i’m talking about the average American family.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette and killing dealerships (middle man)

Quick Reply: Corvette and killing dealerships (middle man)