Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Cup 2 vs. Cup 2R

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 12:05 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 456 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Cup 2 vs. Cup 2R

During the dealer tour, did anybody find out if the Cup 2 -or- Cup 2R are
standard on the Z07 ?

More importantly, what is the treadwear rating differences between the two tires?!?!
Old 02-20-2022, 12:47 PM
onebadcad
Race Director

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts

TireRack lists 180 for 2 and 140 for 2R
The following 2 users liked this post by onebadcad:
ArmchairArchitect (02-20-2022), imxz28 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 02:06 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Originally Posted by onebadcad
TireRack lists 180 for 2 and 140 for 2R
Dang.... Not a big difference. So does anyone know what kind of mileage a guy could get out of these two options for typical city and highway use ?
I've stated in previous threads that I'm getting the Z07 hell or high water but will hope for 10k miles with no track use.
After which they will be replaced with PS4S
Old 02-20-2022, 02:57 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Chevy engineers have indicated that the Z06 Cup2R tire was optimized for peak performance after 10 laps. Most Cup2R tires are optimized for one hot lap, so the Z06 Cup2R may have different wear ratings and longevity, or maybe not.
The following 2 users liked this post by AzDave47:
RapidC84B (02-22-2022), Tripjammer (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 03:03 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

These are track tires...
Old 02-20-2022, 03:49 PM
NC_M1SS1LE
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

The Cup 2R is a PURE track tire, designed for the best lap times possible on a "streetable" (aka legal). With that said if you aren't going to track it pulling the Cup 2Rs off immediately and swapping to a regular Cup 2 or PS4S (or PS5) would be your best bet. Regular Cup 2 should be good for 8-10k street miles if you aren't too hard on it.
The following 3 users liked this post by NC_M1SS1LE:
ArmchairArchitect (02-20-2022), bthibodeaux (03-28-2022), Propspinner (03-02-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 06:09 PM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 722 Likes on 329 Posts

[QUOTE=imxz28;1604761104]During the dealer tour, did anybody find out if the Cup 2 -or- Cup 2R are
standard on the Z07 ?
========================================
in was at the ciocca event on Friday. I chatted up the GM Chevrolet Corvette rep. He stated that all C8Z06 Z07 option cars/ builds receive Michelin Sport Cup 2 R tires. I said seriously “can’t someone simply request CUP 2 tires” ?

No sorry all Z07 gets CUP2 R tires. He was polite and professional. FYI- CUP R is too much of an all out competition racing DOT approved tire thats faster than HOOSIER dot race tires in my opinion. I used to PCA Club race on CUP 2 tires with the right pressures and camber they stuck like glue and lasted and lasted. You could abuse them and with correct cold and hot pressures CUP2 kicked ***. Porsche got Michelin to develop CUP 2 R for Porsches annual Nurburgring laptime development.

Porsche doesn’t even install CUP 2 R tires on GT2RS, GT3RS or any RS models. Porsche says you can spec CUP 2 R when you order a car BUT you can’t.

I’m ordering a 70th anniversary C8Z06 Z07 spider and for DE track events . I’ll drive ‘em on the street and track and likely switch over the CUP 2s after i wear out the stock tires and or pull them when new and store them and install Cup 2 from tire rack.

Bottom line Chevy is serious about giving the customer maximum possible all out performance and the CUP 2 R tires are then ticket under dry warm weather conditions. GM is going to lay down an incredible Nordshleife time this spring. Be cool if they hire a Porsche factory “hot-shoe” as a ‘Ring mercenary.

I mentioned the the GM Corvette representative the one and only thing the Z06 needs is a Ferrari LED steering wheel. Call Stellantis and license then LED topped steering wheel. He winked and agreed it would be good. Bottom lineZ06/Z07 a bad-*** seriously fast no bullshit no excuses no fluff sports car!!

Carbon fiber wheel painted black 345/21” massive CUP2 R
The following 3 users liked this post by Joefab:
ArmchairArchitect (02-20-2022), imxz28 (02-20-2022), Tripjammer (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 06:19 PM
frodoz737
Le Mans Master

Received 461 Likes on 210 Posts

I can speak to the Cup 2's only on my 2019 ZR1 after 2 sets...spirited street driving...maybe 6,000-7,000 miles before they become dangerous.
The following 2 users liked this post by frodoz737:
imxz28 (02-20-2022), Tripjammer (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 06:47 PM
raleona
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 131 Posts

[QUOTE=Joefab;1604762684]
Originally Posted by imxz28
During the dealer tour, did anybody find out if the Cup 2 -or- Cup 2R are
standard on the Z07 ?
========================================
in was at the ciocca event on Friday. I chatted up the GM Chevrolet Corvette rep. He stated that all C8Z06 Z07 option cars/ builds receive Michelin Sport Cup 2 R tires. I said seriously “can’t someone simply request CUP 2 tires” ?

No sorry all Z07 gets CUP2 R tires. He was polite and professional. FYI- CUP R is too much of an all out competition racing DOT approved tire thats faster than HOOSIER dot race tires in my opinion. I used to PCA Club race on CUP 2 tires with the right pressures and camber they stuck like glue and lasted and lasted. You could abuse them and with correct cold and hot pressures CUP2 kicked ***. Porsche got Michelin to develop CUP 2 R for Porsches annual Nurburgring laptime development.

Porsche doesn’t even install CUP 2 R tires on GT2RS, GT3RS or any RS models. Porsche says you can spec CUP 2 R when you order a car BUT you can’t.

I’m ordering a 70th anniversary C8Z06 Z07 spider and for DE track events . I’ll drive ‘em on the street and track and likely switch over the CUP 2s after i wear out the stock tires and or pull them when new and store them and install Cup 2 from tire rack.

Bottom line Chevy is serious about giving the customer maximum possible all out performance and the CUP 2 R tires are then ticket under dry warm weather conditions. GM is going to lay down an incredible Nordshleife time this spring. Be cool if they hire a Porsche factory “hot-shoe” as a ‘Ring mercenary.

I mentioned the the GM Corvette representative the one and only thing the Z06 needs is a Ferrari LED steering wheel. Call Stellantis and license then LED topped steering wheel. He winked and agreed it would be good. Bottom lineZ06/Z07 a bad-*** seriously fast no bullshit no excuses no fluff sports car!!

Carbon fiber wheel painted black 345/21” massive CUP2 R
Be cool if they hire a Porsche factory “hot-shoe” as a ‘Ring mercenary. (I AGREE!). I only track twice a year but, for those folks on the track every weekend GM could offer a light weighted car with a delete option. (light weight carpet and glass; radio delete option, ...etc)..
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 07:01 PM
Cubicinches
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 154 Posts

I only got ~6K out of my Cup 2s before I switched to Pilot Super Sport ZPs.

Has anyone actually seen the wear rating on the Z06 Cup 2Rs or are we only extrapolating from Porsche Cup 2Rs? Couldn't they vary significantly? Personally I'd be surprised if Chevy went with a tire that had even WORSE life than the Cup 2s. Maybe that will be the case, but it would seem pretty dumb to me. Considering how many Z07 owners drive their cars regularly on the street I'd see a lot of people kind of ticked that they need to get new tires every ~4K miles. As I mentioned in another forum, a Chevy engineer told me the Cup 2Rs have the same (maybe even slightly better) wet weather performance as the Cup 2s.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:30 PM
Mark2021C8
Pro

Received 487 Likes on 263 Posts

I think it is great that Chevy is serious about the Z06 with Z07 option by putting on the Cup2Rs. The Z07 is a serious track weapon and is made for track use. I love my C8 Stingray for the track but what a step up the Z06/Z07 will be for track use.
ArmchairArchitect (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 07:45 PM
imxz28
Drifting

If performance is the only consideration here, are the Cup 2R heavier RUN FLAT?
Same question goes for the Cup 2... are they run flat?
Old 02-20-2022, 08:18 PM
user0405240328
Racer

Received 313 Likes on 149 Posts

I suspect that part of GM's deal with Michelin says that they will sell all new Z07 cars with the Cup2R. Helps to justify the investment to develop a Corvette specific tire.
The following 2 users liked this post by user0405240328:
$Bill (02-20-2022), LV_V (02-28-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 08:33 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Corvettes only come with runflats since C6 or maybe even during C5 production, including prior Cup2s and will be with the new Cup 2Rs.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:36 AM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 722 Likes on 329 Posts

If you are simply cruising around on the street like a normal driver and not doing burn-outs the Cup2 tires last and last. The cup 2 R tires chevy had on wheel/tire display at ciocca looked like real racing tires. For driving on the street i think most people will be fine unless (I’m not being rude) new Vette guys get caught inn a big rain storm down pour and have to travel long distances or any distance at speed. With cup 2 R tires and Hoosiers ………highway speeds depending on water levels drop into the 40s or 50mph ranges to stop or manage hydroplaning and wrecking.

When the weather gets very cold these cup 2 tires get hard and loose grip and take time to wake up. All of the above simply take some thinking or reflection when you are driving road racing DOT approved tires thats all. The worse scenario is that a Knucklehead/meat head / tough guy buys a brand new C8Z06 Z07 or a GT3RS and his buddies are impressed and or he’s with a hot babe………..bench racing and trash talking occurs………..its raining hard and or cold n damp………everyone gets in their other brands of fast/hot cars to go on a rally or ‘Rip over to a bar ……….and the Z06 driver must maintain macho ……..”gets on the Gun to keep up in his C8Z06” ………..and hydroplanes and wrecks. Easy to visualize a Jersey shore type girl mouthing off “come on Vinnie— we are losing “. Been there before I’m going as fast as i can but I’m brining her back unscathed!!!

Many times I’ve been in my car coming back from Watkins glen, summit point, Pocono, on race tires/ used beat up race tires no tread …………..putting along slow and my car was kicking back and forth, hydroplaning but manageable . Girlfriend is saying go faster what’s wrong I’ve got to pee……other dudes from that DE event on race tires right next to me going slow……..….others in brand new cars with regular tires doing 80 and are long gone.

Like i said major congratulations kudos the chevy for developing a bad-*** car and tires to match.

There are videos on YouTube comparing Cup 2 tires to Cup 2 R tires. From what i gathered CUP 2 R are 3 to 4 seconds a lap faster on a long course but wear out faster.

Last edited by Joefab; 02-21-2022 at 06:42 AM.
imxz28 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 08:44 AM
bobgolub@hotmail.com
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Joefab
If you are simply cruising around on the street like a normal driver and not doing burn-outs the Cup2 tires last and last. The cup 2 R tires chevy had on wheel/tire display at ciocca looked like real racing tires. For driving on the street i think most people will be fine unless (I’m not being rude) new Vette guys get caught inn a big rain storm down pour and have to travel long distances or any distance at speed. With cup 2 R tires and Hoosiers ………highway speeds depending on water levels drop into the 40s or 50mph ranges to stop or manage hydroplaning and wrecking.

When the weather gets very cold these cup 2 tires get hard and loose grip and take time to wake up. All of the above simply take some thinking or reflection when you are driving road racing DOT approved tires thats all. The worse scenario is that a Knucklehead/meat head / tough guy buys a brand new C8Z06 Z07 or a GT3RS and his buddies are impressed and or he’s with a hot babe………..bench racing and trash talking occurs………..its raining hard and or cold n damp………everyone gets in their other brands of fast/hot cars to go on a rally or ‘Rip over to a bar ……….and the Z06 driver must maintain macho ……..”gets on the Gun to keep up in his C8Z06” ………..and hydroplanes and wrecks. Easy to visualize a Jersey shore type girl mouthing off “come on Vinnie— we are losing “. Been there before I’m going as fast as i can but I’m brining her back unscathed!!!

Many times I’ve been in my car coming back from Watkins glen, summit point, Pocono, on race tires/ used beat up race tires no tread …………..putting along slow and my car was kicking back and forth, hydroplaning but manageable . Girlfriend is saying go faster what’s wrong I’ve got to pee……other dudes from that DE event on race tires right next to me going slow……..….others in brand new cars with regular tires doing 80 and are long gone.

Like i said major congratulations kudos the chevy for developing a bad-*** car and tires to match.

There are videos on YouTube comparing Cup 2 tires to Cup 2 R tires. From what i gathered CUP 2 R are 3 to 4 seconds a lap faster on a long course but wear out faster.

The problem is that there is no replacement tire for the cup2R. The largest cup2 on tire rack is a 325. If you run the Z06 as a dedicated track car it will be prohibitively expensive, unless you go with smaller wheels and iron brakes. But then you are probably losing some performance.
ZRacerLE (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 10:36 AM
onebadcad
Race Director

6K - 8K on Cup tires seems very good, as my three sets of Pilot Super Sport ZPs on my 15 Z07 averaged 8K miles with no track days or drag strip, just spirited driving in SE FL, which has hotter-than-most roads.
I want the CCBs, I will deal with the Cup tires but after down to the threads will replace with something else Michelin--as will mostly DD.

Get notified of new replies

To Cup 2 vs. Cup 2R

Old 02-21-2022, 10:38 AM
onebadcad
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joefab

You are more adventurous than I, too much rain down here, with Cup Tires I will only DD on days where there is 0% of rain.

Old 02-21-2022, 02:52 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

6-8k miles sounds similar to what my Lotus Elise got on R compound tires 15 years ago as a daily driver. New compounds and heavier car still seems about right.
imxz28 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:10 PM
jriley9922
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by imxz28
Dang.... Not a big difference. So does anyone know what kind of mileage a guy could get out of these two options for typical city and highway use ?
I've stated in previous threads that I'm getting the Z07 hell or high water but will hope for 10k miles with no track use.
After which they will be replaced with PS4S
The Tires are going to be VERY greasy in the rain on public roads. They are downright scary in heavy rain... Like you'll be on the highway going 50mph and have to be fully focused just to keep the car in the right lane. If it will see any rain at all, just change them out yourself when you get the car. 2k for a set of ps4s, then you can probably recoop most of that selling the cup Rs to a track guy on the forum here.
imxz28 (02-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Cup 2 vs. Cup 2R