Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Hendricks dealers Z06 buyers be aware of the $13K gouging fee

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 10:59 AM
FF2000
Racer

Received 402 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Unfortunately many of us here made a deposit electronically. And just because they noted it in the email, doesn't make it a legal document. There was no signatures.

I have trust in MM even though i never used them. I can only go by what other praises people make that have used them in the past.

I'm just saying it's concerning when every dealer is backing out of their word (or assumption) that the car will be offered MSRP yet MM, another big corvette dealer will not.

I was only saying why can't someone from their team confirm MSRP on this site or their site? It's not hard to do.
Them saying something on a website has no legal meaning.

Also, to be clear, my Z06 deposit transaction was an electronic transaction by email They sent me a filled out formal "Retail Order for a Motor Vehicle". It has the terms of MSRP etc. as described above. It has specifically says "THIS ORDER IS NOT A BINDING CONTRACT UNTIL ACCEPTED BY DEALER OR HIS AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE". The order is then electronically signed and accepted by myself and the dealer. This seems as close to a binding contract as you might hope for.

You should contact them if you want more detail or comfort if you already have a deposit with them. As I have said before, they are very transparent (maybe the most of any larger dealer) and were exact in how we were charged for previous 2 C8s.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:38 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2000

Also, to be clear, my Z06 deposit transaction was an electronic transaction by email They sent me a filled out formal "Retail Order for a Motor Vehicle". It has the terms of MSRP etc. as described above. It has specifically says "THIS ORDER IS NOT A BINDING CONTRACT UNTIL ACCEPTED BY DEALER OR HIS AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE". The order is then electronically signed and accepted by myself and the dealer. This seems as close to a binding contract as you might hope for.

You should contact them if you want more detail or comfort if you already have a deposit with them. As I have said before, they are very transparent (maybe the most of any larger dealer) and were exact in how we were charged for previous 2 C8s.
I received the same email as well as the 1000+ people who put deposits to get on the wait list.

But putting it on the website will give peace of mind.

It's sort of like having a sale at walmart or something. Instead of just getting an email stating the sale you can get when you shop, they'll list it on the homepage of their website like, "2 day only sale starting today!" etc.

I'm not saying MM will just disregard what they said in the email to us. But when threads like this are created, then you can only have some concern.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:46 AM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1,455 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500 hd
I would not have thought Hendrick dealers would do this, I'm kinda shocked..
Don’t be. Many more will follow. Many more. Monstrous profits won’t be ignored, and I think you’ll be seeing some totally unexpected dealers succumbing to the almighty buck.

Last edited by Panfish; 12-19-2021 at 04:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Panfish:
ATC399 (12-20-2021), Z0HS1CK (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 03:51 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Disgusting behavior by this stealership. I will spread the word to anyone considering purchasing a Corvette from them. I would take them to court over this. Highly unethical to have an email from them agreeing to purchase terms, and then "changing" their minds. This is worse than a breach of verbal contract.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:52 PM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by whitec7
I had a deal in writing in 2020, 500 below Msrp now it’s 50000 over!!! Bull **** I walked, I was number 1 on the list. I was a customer there at the dealership, I’m not anymore!!!!!
These are car dealerships. There never was any such thing as loyalty. Most will throw you under the bus for a few bucks. $50,000?

You’re toast.

To those who might be giggling at your misfortune, if they have a deposit with a dealer thinking they have MSRP too, many are in for a shock. The only possible exceptions would be the handful of larger known dealers known for MSRP, and even then IMO, some or all might fall on the Z06 too.
The following 3 users liked this post by Panfish:
teds427 (12-22-2021), whitec7 (12-19-2021), Z0HS1CK (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 03:56 PM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by smithers
I have a piece of paper that MM provided that said the price would be MSRP minus their doc fee. But in reality, it means nothing, many dealers have provided the same to other people then decided to back out of that and throw in a markup. No one really knows if the are getting the car for MSRP until they are driving it off the lot. Plenty of dealers have pulled scumbag moves on people and thrown in a markup on delivery day.

I should also say that I think the risk of this happening with MM or Ciocca is very low. They know they are the top dealers by a pretty wide margin because they don't pull this BS.
IMO MacMulkin would be the strongest bet to honor MSRP, but even if they do that, they might initiate other aspects to thwart flipping, like buyback stipulations and/or higher deposits. If MacMulkin falls on MSRP, it’s all over.

Last edited by Panfish; 12-19-2021 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 04:10 PM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FF2000

MacMulkin (and a few other similarly situated dealers) have the luxury of being a somewhat different animal then most Chevy dealers. They get (or will get) perhaps 1000 C8’s annually, and will likely get several hundred Z06’s. As such, their “catchment” is nationwide. That occurs because of their volume and their reputation. Smaller dealers who don’t have that are more capable of sacrificing any concern of reputation when it comes to the Corvette because they mostly sell other models, and can weather the small percentage of customers alienated over a handful of annual allocations of one model.

Yes, MacMulkin can succumb and move the Z06 goalposts alienating buyers, but the damage to their reputation, and thus nationwide attraction would impact them to a much greater degree than “Joe Blow Chevrolet”. In their case, it might be a pyrrhic victory to do that though, as many wouldn’t want to risk trust and patience with a distant dealer if they have a track record changing terms after deposit. Not to say it won’t happen, but IMO it would have much more severe consequences regardless of how many cars they get.

They make their money on volume, and that volume would be at risk with reneging on MSRP.
The following 4 users liked this post by Panfish:
ChevyChad (12-20-2021), PurpleLion (12-19-2021), Z0HS1CK (12-19-2021), ZL-1 (12-21-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 04:33 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Damn.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:05 PM
whitec7
Burning Brakes

Received 610 Likes on 234 Posts

I would only hope that all Z06 buyers would just walk away and say no over MSRP. These dealers sell more them just Corvettes, trucks others cars and SUV's. They will never get my business on any of them!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
tobaccokid (12-20-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 10:11 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Was looking to replace my wife’s 2019 RAV4 with 2022 as her ‘19 is worth more than I paid for it.

Some of the ‘21’s have upwards of $4000 in dealer installed options that’re included in the MSRP. They’re on the Monrony sticker.

Dealers will find a way.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:27 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,731 Likes on 3,009 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

OP, unfortunately that 13k over msrp is actually a good deal for a C8 Z06. You could take possession of the car & turn around & sell it for a good profit. Obviously, these cars are in high demand & if the dealers are looking to make a nice profit with these cars, you can too
Old 12-20-2021, 09:19 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,427 Posts

What if they keep raising it?
Old 12-20-2021, 09:28 AM
raduziub
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Nitro-C5, I sent you my emails and info I have regarding the mark up, I have it in writing from the sales person that they will be charging $13K. I hope you can use that, along with what others send you. I agree 110% with you!
Thanks!
Old 12-20-2021, 09:36 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

vote with your feet. Let someone else pay the stealership. I had the same thing happen when I custom ordered a Turbo T Buick

Dealer tried to jack me for 900 above the agreed to price which was on a contract. Took my cash put it back in my pocket and walked.

Stealership manager literally ran down the street and finally agreed to the price on the contract.

once you ORDER the car and have a sales contract, stick to it or as mentioned file in court for breach of contract.

I have found that ordering from the big guys who will work with you at MSRP is worth the miles to travel and get the car

you can even save enough to ship or museum deliver. I don't cater to greedy folks that think the corvette is a ferrari just because it looks like one

this is supposed to be the working Joe's hot rod, and doesn't have to be a rip off.

I guess I'm more patient too. Let someone else take the big depreciation hit and wait until the "newness" wears off a bit and prices will come down to suit the market value.

The old c4 zr1 guys paid MUCHO premium over sticker, now those low mile cars trade for a fraction of purchase. The Z06 won't be rare enough to be a collector, unless you want to grow old and save it for someone else.

I'll wear it out and fix it several times and be many smiles ahead. The $ don't buy that like driving does.
The following 5 users liked this post by Rkreigh:
curvesman (12-21-2021), fiveomar (12-20-2021), raduziub (12-20-2021), Tactical-Speed (12-20-2021), whitec7 (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 10:31 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

I get the NECESSARY PPF typically at approx. $3K.

Best we can all do is to spread the word far and wide that named dealer X is doing such and such. Then, if people choose to avoid and boycott that dealer for ANY (sales AND/OR service) business it's possible that if enough business hurt is put on them that other dealers may see that and avoid the prospect of business lost.

As they says, "nothing ventured, nothing gained". We have the freedom to bypass a dealer just like they have the freedom to stick it to us.

Last edited by tobaccokid; 12-20-2021 at 10:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tobaccokid:
fiveomar (12-20-2021), raduziub (12-21-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 10:49 AM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
What if they keep raising it?
In all likelihood, they will.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:57 AM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

The really annoying part is that it's a "package". If you're going to charge a markup, say it's a markup. Don't **** on people and tell them it's rain.
The following 4 users liked this post by SlayerRX8:
ajmart85 (12-28-2021), fiveomar (12-21-2021), raduziub (12-21-2021), smithers (12-21-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Hendricks dealers Z06 buyers be aware of the $13K gouging fee

Old 12-21-2021, 12:17 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Panfish
IMO MacMulkin would be the strongest bet to honor MSRP, but even if they do that, they might initiate other aspects to thwart flipping, like buyback stipulations and/or higher deposits. If MacMulkin falls on MSRP, it’s all over.
Ironically when the C7 Z06 came out, out of all the big dealers MacMulkin was the only one that initially was demanding over msrp. They took a lot of bashing on the forums. And Kerbeck and the other dealers stayed at msrp. MacMulkin was forced to back down and sell their C7 Z06’s at msrp.

Old 12-21-2021, 02:53 PM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
vote with your feet. Let someone else pay the stealership. I had the same thing happen when I custom ordered a Turbo T Buick

Dealer tried to jack me for 900 above the agreed to price which was on a contract. Took my cash put it back in my pocket and walked.

Stealership manager literally ran down the street and finally agreed to the price on the contract.

once you ORDER the car and have a sales contract, stick to it or as mentioned file in court for breach of contract.

I have found that ordering from the big guys who will work with you at MSRP is worth the miles to travel and get the car

you can even save enough to ship or museum deliver. I don't cater to greedy folks that think the corvette is a ferrari just because it looks like one

this is supposed to be the working Joe's hot rod, and doesn't have to be a rip off.

I guess I'm more patient too. Let someone else take the big depreciation hit and wait until the "newness" wears off a bit and prices will come down to suit the market value.

The old c4 zr1 guys paid MUCHO premium over sticker, now those low mile cars trade for a fraction of purchase. The Z06 won't be rare enough to be a collector, unless you want to grow old and save it for someone else.

I'll wear it out and fix it several times and be many smiles ahead. The $ don't buy that like driving does.
With this car, there will be no shortage of those with cash to burn to fill the void of those who voted with their feet. Even better for the stealerships in the long run. Want a C8? They’ll be happy in a year or so to sell you a stingray for a reasonable profit, perhaps even MSRP. Want a Z06?

Sorry…you got to pay to play…big boys only, please.
Old 12-21-2021, 02:56 PM
Panfish
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Ironically when the C7 Z06 came out, out of all the big dealers MacMulkin was the only one that initially was demanding over msrp. They took a lot of bashing on the forums. And Kerbeck and the other dealers stayed at msrp. MacMulkin was forced to back down and sell their C7 Z06’s at msrp.
History might repeat itself in reverse. If one of the big 3 collapse, the others are likely to follow to at least some degree. I put Ciocca as the most likely fuse, if that happens.

Quick Reply: Hendricks dealers Z06 buyers be aware of the $13K gouging fee