Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers
View Poll Results: Are you ordering the Z07 package?
Yes to the Z07. I want a hardcore Z06.
33.63%
No, passing on the Z07
48.35%
Yes to the Z07 and might as well get the Carbon Fiber wheels too. Its only money!
18.02%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Are you getting the Z07 package?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 03:56 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

I'm getting the Z07 because I want the factory aero and the suspension package. I don't want to modify the car much at all. I can't get confirmation if all Z06s have the different suspension bushings or just Z07. Sure I can take a Stingray and add sphericals, BBK, and proper aero and have a hell of a trackday car.

@Poor-sha has had good success w/ his CT5-V Blackwing doing 2:05 casually at VIR (fast for a big sedan). The swept area of the new carbon brakes is massive.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:14 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
At your pace and as fast as this car will be no way. I don't exaggerate when I talk about track stuff. You WILL need to carry an extra set of pads with you to every event. Then the faces of the rotors will be pock marked and look like hell. When they get like that they act more like cheese graters than rotors and you go through pads even faster.

If I bought a car with no other option than CCB's I would immediately switch them out for something else and put them away for when I was going to sell the car they would go back on. The question is will there be anything to switch them to? I don't know if anyone makes the iron disc conversion for them? Also can you imagine how much iron rotors that size will weigh?

I am more inclined to get the base car and add the springs. Truth is I do not know if I will even need them? The car is going to be stupid fast as it sits.
Heat is the enemy of CCM brakes as it causes accelerated oxidation which is what actually causes rotor degradation. IF heat can be managed well via excellent brake cooling, the CCM rotors may last well as long as the pads are not allowed to get too worn which again places too high of a thermal load into the rotors. I replaced the brake pads on my ‘15 Z06/7 when the pads were down to 1/3rd their original depth and experienced little rotor wear in the 2 1/2 years I owned the car, and after many HPDE weekends.

Caveat: if an owner plans on tracking the car a lot, then investing in the AP Racing BBK would be the wisest option IMHO. When you sell/trade the C8 just place the OEM CCMs back on the car, and sell the AP BBK for about 2/3rds of the original cost.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:33 PM
Psalmon123
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Carbon, carbon and more carbon!
Old 11-24-2021, 06:34 PM
540 55
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Only reason I would opt for the Z07 option is for BJ auction resale. In that situation buyers will open their wallets for all the bells and whistles. For my own preference I prefer the looks of the non Z07 coupe.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:37 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Definitely ZO7 but no CF Wheels due to Indiana road conditions.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:19 PM
NJZ06
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Z07, Carbon Wheels and 2LZ. Hoping to be under $115k. I loved the magnesium wheels back in the 2003 era, factory carbon wheels are pretty awesome!
Old 11-26-2021, 02:35 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
I'm getting the Z07 because I want the factory aero and the suspension package. I don't want to modify the car much at all. I can't get confirmation if all Z06s have the different suspension bushings or just Z07. Sure I can take a Stingray and add sphericals, BBK, and proper aero and have a hell of a trackday car.

@Poor-sha has had good success w/ his CT5-V Blackwing doing 2:05 casually at VIR (fast for a big sedan). The swept area of the new carbon brakes is massive.

Day and a half at VIR and a day at Summit Point and the pads aren't showing much wear. My dealer only charged me $388 for the spare set of front pads.

The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
LV_V (12-04-2021), r00t61 (12-14-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 03:04 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Day and a half at VIR and a day at Summit Point and the pads aren't showing much wear.
A good reference for how robust the Z06's pads may be. But with it able to shed speed much faster than that big, blue porker you're hauling around given the Cup 2Rs, the pad wear may be a bit more accelerated. ;-)
Old 11-26-2021, 05:14 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

https://youtu.be/SgZ808FfjQo

Day and a half at VIR and a day at Summit Point and the pads aren't showing much wear. My dealer only charged me $388 for the spare set of front pads.

https://youtu.be/kpTs25Q1Gd4
Great deal IMO!

ACR-E was around $850 and $650 for the rears. $1500 per weekend.

Rotors which were $13,000 discounted to $9,100. Took about 5 or 6 events to wreck them. Not weight or thickness. They measured fine. Surface was wrecked accelerating pad wear.

Maybe they have made decent strides in pad compound and rotor material since that old thing came out? That was 6 years ago. Hard to believe.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,404 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
A good reference for how robust the Z06's pads may be. But with it able to shed speed much faster than that big, blue porker you're hauling around given the Cup 2Rs, the pad wear may be a bit more accelerated. ;-)
Just sharing the only data we have. True the speeds aren't as high but it's having to slow an extra 500 lbs so maybe the thermal load is similar?

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Great deal IMO!

ACR-E was around $850 and $650 for the rears. $1500 per weekend.

Rotors which were $13,000 discounted to $9,100. Took about 5 or 6 events to wreck them. Not weight or thickness. They measured fine. Surface was wrecked accelerating pad wear.

Maybe they have made decent strides in pad compound and rotor material since that old thing came out? That was 6 years ago. Hard to believe.
Supposedly the C7 ZR1 had an improved rotor composition but I didn't leave them on long enough to find out. It is all going to come down to rotor life and cost.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:00 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

True the speeds aren't as high but it's having to slow an extra 500 lbs so maybe the thermal load is similar?
It shouldn't be. The speed change and available air flow should be the main things contributing to the thermal load. It's why, for instance, the rotors on the Z07's front are larger than the rear, whereas they're smaller in the rest of the C8's entire line-up. The difference: tire grip (and aero) which causes the car to slow down faster, thereby adding more thermal load to the fronts as compared to the other C8s (including the base Z06).

Still good data, but I'm guessing the Z07's brakes won't last as long as your V's have. I'd love to be wrong on that, because pads ain't cheap. ;-)
Old 11-29-2021, 09:34 AM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Received 3,303 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
It shouldn't be. The speed change and available air flow should be the main things contributing to the thermal load. It's why, for instance, the rotors on the Z07's front are larger than the rear, whereas they're smaller in the rest of the C8's entire line-up. The difference: tire grip (and aero) which causes the car to slow down faster, thereby adding more thermal load to the fronts as compared to the other C8s (including the base Z06).

Still good data, but I'm guessing the Z07's brakes won't last as long as your V's have. I'd love to be wrong on that, because pads ain't cheap. ;-)
The drag from the aero also helps slow the car for free, so maybe it offsets the brake heat from more downforce traction?

I came across your old thread about tracking CCBs. Are going to do CCBs again for tracking your C8Z?
Old 11-29-2021, 09:38 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by ZRacerLE
Are going to do CCBs again for tracking your C8Z?
Absolutely. They're expensive, for sure. But they're superb on the track. Lap after lap after lap: no problems at all. No fade, no fluid boiling, nothing. Just consistent "anchor-out-the-window" slowing of the car.

Last edited by jvp; 11-29-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:45 AM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
Absolutely. They expensive, for sure. But they're superb on the track. Lap after lap after lap: no problems at all. No fade, no fluid boiling, nothing. Just consistent "anchor-out-the-window" slowing of the car.
I'd love to just do Z07 and be done, rather than have to mod brakes and suspension. I'll be doing a weekend every month with the car though. Just trying to figure out how much more I'll be spending going with CCBs. It'd be great if they last close to proportionately to their cost delta.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:56 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by ZRacerLE
Just trying to figure out how much more I'll be spending going with CCBs. It'd be great if they last close to proportionately to their cost delta.
Overall robustness on track isn't what you're paying for with the CCBs. It's more to do with consistency and light weight. Your brakes at the start of the day are going to be just as good as they are at the end of the day. Heat management on the CCB rotors is infinitely better than on any metal rotor, regardless of the brand. They get hot in sections and immediately shed it as fast as they get hot.

The over-arching PITA with CCBs is that when the rotor does finally hit its heat limit, it oxidizes and turns into sand paper for the pads. The rotors still work just as well as they did pre-oxidation, but they obliterate the pads faster and faster given their new rough surface.

GM and Brembo did some work with the C7 ZR1's rotor to try and off-set this. I can neither confirm nor deny a long, energetic, and detailed discussion with certain members of the Corvette engineering team (in person ... ;-) ) long before the ZR1 was introduced, about this very topic. Whether said conversation had anything to do with that change in the rotors: I dunno. But the timing is a bit more than coincidental. Anyway, it looks like they've really taken that to heart with the Z06 given the massive brake cooling ducts up front. A wonderfully high-pressure zone right at the center of the nose of the car should provide some wicked cooling at speed. I suspect that'll turn into a much longer length of time before the rotors oxidize, and subsequently turn into "pad sand paper".
The following 3 users liked this post by jvp:
fiveomar (12-05-2021), range96 (11-29-2021), RapidC84B (11-29-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 10:05 AM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
Overall robustness on track isn't what you're paying for with the CCBs. It's more to do with consistency and light weight. Your brakes at the start of the day are going to be just as good as they are at the end of the day. Heat management on the CCB rotors is infinitely better than on any metal rotor, regardless of the brand. They get hot in sections and immediately shed it as fast as they get hot.

The over-arching PITA with CCBs is that when the rotor does finally hit its heat limit, it oxidizes and turns into sand paper for the pads. The rotors still work just as well as they did pre-oxidation, but they obliterate the pads faster and faster given their new rough surface.

GM and Brembo did some work with the C7 ZR1's rotor to try and off-set this. I can neither confirm nor deny a long, energetic, and detailed discussion with certain members of the Corvette engineering team (in person ... ;-) ) long before the ZR1 was introduced, about this very topic. Whether said conversation had anything to do with that change in the rotors: I dunno. But the timing is a bit more than coincidental. Anyway, it looks like they've really taken that to heart with the Z06 given the massive brake cooling ducts up front. A wonderfully high-pressure zone right at the center of the nose of the car should provide some wicked cooling at speed. I suspect that'll turn into a much longer length of time before the rotors oxidize, and subsequently turn into "pad sand paper".
Wow, that helps a lot. Thank you. I've read where the main problem to solve is cooling those rotors.
The following users liked this post:
AVETTE (12-04-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 10:43 PM
lspalding
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Number 9
No Z07 for me. Don’t need the functionality and don’t like the look of the big wing or the canards.
This is also where I am at. The base car has more than enough capability for me and I like the look better. Wish I could get the carbon fiber wheels as standalones, but I'll live.

Get notified of new replies

To Are you getting the Z07 package?

Old 12-03-2021, 11:18 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Those of you that have never experienced CF wheels, are in for a surprise.
They're so much better at following road imperfections, it's not funny.
You'll notice the suspension is re-valved due to the decrease in mass.
Without going into "reduced gyroscopic" effect, the car will turn differently too. (Much like how the C8 turns differently from the C7,6,5.)
The car will change speed quicker, and change direction quicker. It's a marked change.
The following 2 users liked this post by NORTY:
bcmarly (12-12-2021), fiveomar (12-05-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 06:32 AM
EasyLivin
Race Director

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,359 Posts

No Z07 for me... Definitely getting 2LZ and HTC and Front Lift... Probably a few other exterior appearance upgrades...
Old 12-04-2021, 11:29 AM
NA Screamer
Pro

Received 361 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

Thank you for the wonderful explanation of ceramics and the insight on conversation with Corvette team.

Quick Reply: Are you getting the Z07 package?