Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

C8 Z06 Ring time- want to see GM Z06 - under 6min44sec?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 02:29 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by LowcountryVette
So not c7 zr1 rotors
True, I didn't catch that.
I don't see an alternate offering for the C7, at least on that site.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:38 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,206 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
The car is always the cheapest part. The GT Porsche's, ACR-E Viper's, 488 Ferrari's and C8 Corvettes are some of the very cheapest cars anyone has ever been able to buy new. Your new C8Z06 is more than likely going to cost you nothing. You will probably end up making money on the car regardless of how it's configured.

Will you be able to get another right away for what you pay for it if you destroy it? The answer is no so you will have to insure it for whatever replacement cost -10% will be. 3 day weekend that will cost you $1,300 or so to insure for 180k. Plus you are out 18k. If you slightly wreck it the first 18k comes out of your pocket.

Are you able to get parts for it easily if you crash it and it's not a total loss? Are you willing to take the depreciation hit if it's not a total loss?

I definitely vote for having both. The only downside to me is the work that it takes to get a C5 racing car back and forth and the support vehicle/trailer required. My truck is my daily so for me it makes no difference. Trailers don't depreciate either and cost next to nothing to maintain. Just need the space for it all.

Buy a C5 already done and you won't have any depreciation to speak of there either and consumables will be significantly less. Just think of the abundance of cheaper tire choices you will have and how much longer they will last on a 2800 lb car? Crash the thing? Who cares. You could have a spare parts car and it would be cheaper than consumables on a C8Z. Performance? We already know the answer. C5's get around as well as anything.
1. I still have a vehicle capable of towing 8K lbs so a C5 on an open trailer is a non-issue

2. I sold my trailers so would have to get one again, but been wanting one again for a long time, but with inflation an nice used aluminum one is 2X what I sold mine for (do'h). A buddy is developing a 30 acre property for his homestead and I've told him 1000X to make a parking space next to his shop for me and he can use the trailer so that'll cut out the silly $120ish a month storage (thanks to the HOA) to use the thing 4-5 weekends a year.

3. I can take a C5 apart blindfolded with a T15 torx and 10mm socket and being 6'4" I can't fit in anyone else's project so it'd be a build for me. Plus, used trackday cars are a basket case unless you go through them in my experience. Prefer to start fresh and do exactly what i want.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:36 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
1. I still have a vehicle capable of towing 8K lbs so a C5 on an open trailer is a non-issue

2. I sold my trailers so would have to get one again, but been wanting one again for a long time, but with inflation an nice used aluminum one is 2X what I sold mine for (do'h). A buddy is developing a 30 acre property for his homestead and I've told him 1000X to make a parking space next to his shop for me and he can use the trailer so that'll cut out the silly $120ish a month storage (thanks to the HOA) to use the thing 4-5 weekends a year.

3. I can take a C5 apart blindfolded with a T15 torx and 10mm socket and being 6'4" I can't fit in anyone else's project so it'd be a build for me. Plus, used trackday cars are a basket case unless you go through them in my experience. Prefer to start fresh and do exactly what i want.
Makes a decent case for the C5 in addition to the C8Z.

I like the "build one to spec" too but a friend purchased one of John Heinricy's championship winning T1 C5's like this one for dramatically less than what a fresh build would cost. I thought it was a great choice and once he took delivery of it he was on track a couple weeks later.

The height is definitely a consideration though. I am 6'2" and for the C6Z I had changes made to the floor and cage to allow for more headroom.

Good problems to have. Can't wait for you to get your C8Z!!
The following 5 users liked this post by Racingswh:
ArmchairArchitect (10-21-2022), PRE-Z06 (10-21-2022), RapidC84B (10-21-2022), Telepierre (10-22-2022), ZRacerLE (10-21-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 04:50 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Chevy has lost billions of dollars by not creating a true Motorsports division, and in fact even deterring professional teams from racing Corvettes. Ask Lou G about that. One of the worst decisions ever. They have opposed customer racing even though theyve sold the concept heavily in marketing for their vehicles. Then tease the C6 Z06 X and immediately say they have no intentions on building it.

The Corvette name was powerful enough to start its own brand, the Motorsports aspect would have really made an impact. Look how many Porsche Cups and MX5's are sold annually. They completely missed the boat on this one.
Where have you been?

Old 10-22-2022, 06:07 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Where have you been?

That comes out in 2024, only 20 years plus too late..... and it's a mega buck racing car. Meaning only a few will get sold. I'm talking about club racing, Cup Cars sell thousands per year for over 2 decades, comp coupe Vipers in a money losing program even sold. Heck there's even club racing Mustangs!
Old 10-22-2022, 09:50 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Where have you been?

Great! They fixed the two problems with the street car, weight and gearing.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:16 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,527 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Totally different body, brakes, transmission and ~150HP derate on the engine, race track only to pro teams (including $$$$$$$ AM teams with Pro co-drivers) , oh and 4X the cost a 2LZ Z07 plus likely $400K per year mandatory parts and tech support. Glad they are finally getting into customer support racing, but they had little choice with the racing rules outlawing the factory only race cars.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:40 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That comes out in 2024, only 20 years plus too late..... and it's a mega buck racing car. Meaning only a few will get sold. I'm talking about club racing, Cup Cars sell thousands per year for over 2 decades, comp coupe Vipers in a money losing program even sold. Heck there's even club racing Mustangs!
You don't know the price and you don't know the production rate of the C8 GT3. So you are displaying a lot of swagger without much of anything close to facts.

Your assertion that cup cars sell thousands per year is also rather ridiculous. Porsche run rate for 992 CUP cars in the usa is about ten per year.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-22-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 01:20 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

wait…Porshe sells “thousands” of Cup cars per year?
Old 10-22-2022, 07:34 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
wait…Porshe sells “thousands” of Cup cars per year?
The Comp Coupe reference was interesting as well. They had a Viper gathering at Indy a couple weeks ago. There was maybe 70 cars total. Something like 20 Comp Coupes showed up. I think that's the most I had ever seen in one place? Based on the lap times there I suspect that a well driven base C8Z06 can run with them.
Telepierre (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 04:36 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Totally different body, brakes, transmission and ~150HP derate on the engine, race track only to pro teams (including $$$$$$$ AM teams with Pro co-drivers) , oh and 4X the cost a 2LZ Z07 plus likely $400K per year mandatory parts and tech support. Glad they are finally getting into customer support racing, but they had little choice with the racing rules outlawing the factory only race cars.
Actually, they could have opted out and just be happy with the orders they have on the current C8 program.
The real reason Chevrolet is going forward with the C8 Z06 GT3.R is because there is enough interest from end customers and specialty shops to warrant an investment in the program. A level of interest they did not have pre C8. Callaway would not have terminated their corvette racing program without solid assurances from Chevrolet.
And as anticipated a while back, the 20 cars per year limit is just in the roll out phase. Past that the program is opening up to the clients base at large.
The limiting factor will be how many chassis and engines the penny pinchers will be willing to let go vis a vis regular production.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:10 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Telepeirre

C8 GT3R cars will be built by Pratt and Miller, not at Bowling Green and the production will be so low it won't have any production impact on the BG C8 and variations. The race engines are not built at BG either, different internals,(pistons, rods, dry sump oil system, intake, etc) About the only thing the GT3R car and the production cars actually have as common pieces may be the basic aluminum chassis and maybe some of the suspension arms.

I don't know where you got info that after the initial run (for IMSA and other world wide GT3 race programs) the program will be open to the "client base at large". Please document the source. It sounds like a dream.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:19 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I bet an official time is NEVER posted.

How many times lately have they not posted times?
A LOT.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:45 PM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

They never released the C7Z time. Without Jim Mero we would have never known.
Shinobi'sZ (10-24-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 06:36 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
I bet an official time is NEVER posted.

How many times lately have they not posted times?
A LOT.
I agree.
It's not worth the money or the time to do an "official" time...they won't sell one more car because of it and Porsche would just go out with some 911 variant that is sprinkled with pixie dust,and break it anyway.
PS. The last official GM time for a Corvette was the C6 ZR1 Nurburgring record with Mero driving, about 11 years or so ago.

Also, I think Mero's time was a "segment" time, not a lap time.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:40 PM
Joefab
Supporting Vendor

Received 722 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Great! They fixed the two problems with the street car, weight and gearing.
====================================
GENTS lets Celebrate good exciting times with that C8 GT3R and future variations. That rendering is epic and hopefully is being expedited .

No matter what if it happens it’s all good for the C8Z06 brand, image, and signifies Chevy going deeper into road racing .

Pratt &. Miller or Multimatic can build the Race cars and easily build hard core Z06 GT3 street versions too.

Multimatic built all the Ford GT street and race cars and Im excited to see cool hardcore C8Z06 aero and tech from that rendering that could trickle down to Z06 enthusiasts and drivers. The Rolex 24 should be exciting this year with all the new advanced cars and GTP class. .
Old 10-23-2022, 06:45 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The C8 GT3.R won't be at Daytona 24 until 2024 based on what Chevy has said.

All the GT3 spec models (9-10 manufacturers) are $500-600K+ cars. There will be as many street variants of that as there were of the C7R and C6R GTLM cars = zero.

Pie in the sky dreams for more.

The cars that run in the lower series TCR's are ~$200K cars and the GT4 GS cars are a lot more than that by the time they run their first laps.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Z06 Ring time- want to see GM Z06 - under 6min44sec?

Old 10-24-2022, 01:52 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Telepeirre

C8 GT3R cars will be built by Pratt and Miller, not at Bowling Green and the production will be so low it won't have any production impact on the BG C8 and variations. The race engines are not built at BG either, different internals,(pistons, rods, dry sump oil system, intake, etc) About the only thing the GT3R car and the production cars actually have as common pieces may be the basic aluminum chassis and maybe some of the suspension arms.

I don't know where you got info that after the initial run (for IMSA and other world wide GT3 race programs) the program will be open to the "client base at large". Please document the source. It sounds like a dream.
Dave,

IMHO the CF is not the right place for the early birds and I am not in the position to divulge my sources. I can sense from your post there is a general perception the GT3 program is the same-o-same Pratt and Miller outsourcing scheme but that is not the actual plan. It may seem that way but it's more than that. Anyway Brett and motorsport have some of it.

GM Has Big Plans for the Brand New C8 Corvette Z06 GT3.R Racer - CorvetteForum

Suffice to say the GT3 program has been at least a 15 year grind with the proverbial bean counters and management which require a tangible and mature business case. The GT3 program to keep costs down and provide cars sub 300K does require a larger core program chain supply and manufacturing involvement and there is a certain amount of rob Peter to pay Paul that profit centers don't like.

All that again to simply say it's going to be more than chassis and suspension arms..

That is the Chevrolet side...
On the Pratt & Miller side you should start seeing larger scale assembly processes beyond the ten cars per year output. That is Oshkosh military grade scaling expertise coming into play.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:08 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumba
They never released the C7Z time. Without Jim Mero we would have never known.
This is spot on. If not for Jim Mero, we would never have known. Then, he posts a 7:03x obstructed lap, no warm up, and members say "that is official time for the C7 ZR1" when he has stated several times that he was hitting all of his segmented times if not beating them, which he quotes in an interview as being a 6:54. But Jim Mero knows nothing... Oh, and to top it off, he asked for tires to be developed for the C7 ZR1 but GM did not approve so they used Cup2s from the Z06/Z07.

Last edited by JG853; 10-24-2022 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by JG853:
Savoy2001 (10-25-2022), Telepierre (10-24-2022), ZRacerLE (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 07:41 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JG853
This is spot on. If not for Jim Mero, we would never have known. Then, he posts a 7:03x obstructed lap, no warm up, and members say "that is official time for the C7 ZR1" when he has stated several times that he was hitting all of his segmented times if not beating them, which he quotes in an interview as being a 6:54. But Jim Mero knows nothing... Oh, and to top it off, he asked for tires to be developed for the C7 ZR1 but GM did not approve so they used Cup2s from the Z06/Z07.
This is spot on as well. What is missing is that Mero was denied the new tires because the Michelin prototypes tires he was testing would have not reached OEM status for at least a year and Chevrolet (just as per the C7 Z06 100-octane tune) did not want to go there...
JG853 (10-24-2022)

Quick Reply: C8 Z06 Ring time- want to see GM Z06 - under 6min44sec?