Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

LT6- Things that scare me

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 02:21 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
If it is a materials failure, i.e., wrist pin was defective like valve strings, then it would be covered.
But if the failure was a design defect, the warranty does not apply. There have been many cases on this and here is a recent one:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/06...l-consumption/
There is a youtube channel called Lheto's Law and he is an attorney out of Detroit that specializes in auto law. There is an ongoing lawsuit with either Ford or GM I forget which one over a warranty issue. Their defense in this suit(which may be over by now) is that the part in question is a design flaw and not a workmanship or material issue and the warranty does not apply to design flaws. So they are openly admitting that the part is junk due to it's design but that is also the reason why it's not covered under warranty. I remember him stating there is a good chance they will win under this argument too. I can also see a lot of manufactures using that in the future if they do win.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:35 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
No it doesn't. It locks some things and engages the PDR.
I thought it limited speed or revs?
Old 12-10-2021, 02:38 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,826 Likes on 1,154 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by village idiot
I thought it limited speed or revs?
It does neither. No changes to the power train at all.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:14 PM
Tactical-Speed
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
It does neither. No changes to the power train at all.
THat's insane. WTH, GM?
Old 12-10-2021, 03:22 PM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Three-Vettes
THat's insane. WTH, GM?
Well, between it being a naturally aspirated pushrod motor and the incredibly bad throttle response it’s just not anywhere near as necessary as it was in a C7Z or Hellcat..

Personally I just don’t ever valet my cars unless they’re letting me park it out front of a hotel to avoid a horrible parking garage, such as the Linq in Vegas…

Edit: obviously I’m talking about the normal C8 here since none of us have even turned valet mode on in a C8Z.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:30 PM
Tactical-Speed
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Sellout
Well, between it being a naturally aspirated pushrod motor and the incredibly bad throttle response it’s just not anywhere near as necessary as it was in a C7Z or Hellcat..

Personally I just don’t ever valet my cars unless they’re letting me park it out front of a hotel to avoid a horrible parking garage, such as the Linq in Vegas…

Edit: obviously I’m talking about the normal C8 here since none of us have even turned valet mode on in a C8Z.
I don't valet either. I use it on my Hellcat when I take it to the dealer or when I had my windows tinted, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Sellout (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 05:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

I suppose the valet could be used to activate camera for 'camcorder' mode on the streets?
Old 12-10-2021, 06:09 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
So I drive the living hell out of it under warranty....and if it breaks its on GM.

Im ready.
correct... but don't so much as put an aftermarket air filter on it, or the warranty is void, also did Gm ever officially address the design flaw in the C6Z?
Old 12-10-2021, 06:11 PM
LiManZ06
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
correct... but don't so much as put an aftermarket air filter on it, or the warranty is void, also did Gm ever officially address the design flaw in the C6Z?
Not true. Research the Magnusson-Moss act.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:19 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,013 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by LiManZ06
That may as well say "dealers will do whatever they want unless you throw money at a lawyer to fight them on it."

Many dealers have denied warranty coverage without proving anything to anyone, even when the Magnusson-Moss act said they had to.
The following 2 users liked this post by smithers:
rb185afm (12-13-2021), stormcloak (12-20-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 06:23 PM
LiManZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by smithers
That may as well say "dealers will do whatever they want unless you throw money at a lawyer to fight them on it."

Many dealers have denied warranty coverage without proving anything to anyone, even when the Magnusson-Moss act said they had to.
Dealers may be doing illegal things like you suggest, but the fact remains that an aftermarket air filter does not "void the warranty". Back in a previous life, I remember dealers saying that K&N oiled air filters were damaging MAF sensors by fouling the element with oil residue. That is a reasonable claim, but to simply deny a warranty repair because a car has an aftermarket part on it? Not heard of that.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:31 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,013 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Dealers may be doing illegal things like you suggest, but the fact remains that an aftermarket air filter does not "void the warranty". Back in a previous life, I remember dealers saying that K&N oiled air filters were damaging MAF sensors by fouling the element with oil residue. That is a reasonable claim, but to simply deny a warranty repair because a car has an aftermarket part on it? Not heard of that.
True. People make over the top claims in both directions. "Aftermarket exhaust will void your warranty." Not an accurate blanket statement. If your AC fails, your exhaust isn't going to void any warranty. An aftermarket air filter isn't going to void the warranty. A warranty claim may get denied based on something else... poor filtration let crap into the engine, etc. However any mods that add power to the engine can easily be blamed for increasing power to more than factory specs, leading to engine failure, transmission failure, diff failure, etc. People are seriously rolling the dice for a catastrophic engine failure being covered under warranty when they add power to any car.

But where people really go wrong is when they think that Act is like a blanket pass to mod the car and think as long as their mods are safe, their warranty will be solid. I've seen people with full bolt on and tuned cars think they are good to go because their tuner is good and they have data logs that show its safe. WHen their engine blew up.. no one at any dealer gave a crap about their data logs or what the tuner said. All they said was "the new engine will be $10k installed." Dealers aren't going to make any effort to prove anything because no one is going to throw piles of money at a lawyer to fight them on it.
The following users liked this post:
LiManZ06 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 06:45 PM
Sellout
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Not heard of that.
You must have never modified a Mitsubishi that was under warranty…

magnusson moss gives us zero protection unless we’re willing to pay more for litigation than what the repair would cost. It’s been that way for quite some time, and the dealers, manufacturers, lawyers, judges and any customer who’s honest with himself already knows.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sellout:
smithers (12-10-2021), stormcloak (12-20-2021), Sub Driver (12-15-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 06:56 PM
LiManZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by smithers
True. People make over the top claims in both directions. "Aftermarket exhaust will void your warranty." Not an accurate blanket statement. If your AC fails, your exhaust isn't going to void any warranty. An aftermarket air filter isn't going to void the warranty. A warranty claim may get denied based on something else... poor filtration let crap into the engine, etc. However any mods that add power to the engine can easily be blamed for increasing power to more than factory specs, leading to engine failure, transmission failure, diff failure, etc. People are seriously rolling the dice for a catastrophic engine failure being covered under warranty when they add power to any car.

But where people really go wrong is when they think that Act is like a blanket pass to mod the car and think as long as their mods are safe, their warranty will be solid. I've seen people with full bolt on and tuned cars think they are good to go because their tuner is good and they have data logs that show its safe. WHen their engine blew up.. no one at any dealer gave a crap about their data logs or what the tuner said. All they said was "the new engine will be $10k installed." Dealers aren't going to make any effort to prove anything because no one is going to throw piles of money at a lawyer to fight them on it.
agreed on all points.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:10 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,520 Likes on 4,266 Posts

C7 valet definitely limited some performance.
No, it most definitely did not. There were zero changes to anything performance related. If you think differently, provide some evidence.

Originally Posted by Three-Vettes
But the C8 version does not?!
Neither generation does.

On the C8 you can engage Teen Driver Mode (from 2021 on), which does limit throttle response some, and limits top speed to 85 mph. And requires the driver to wear a seat belt. That's about it.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:12 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

It's more complicated than that, trust me.
If con rods go flying out of the engine block, they can't just say "it was a shitty design."
Find me a case that demonstrates GM losing a warrant claim after saying it was design issue, not a parts failure.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:19 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

While you are mostly correct, the MM act is intended to protect aftermarket parts that are equivalent to OEM parts. GM could argue that a performance filter isn't equivalent to the OEM. If push comes to shove, they'd probably lose that one in court. But GM has a whole department of lawyers to defend against lawsuits. They're on salary. It costs GM literally nothing to fight you in court, and use all kinds of delaying tactics to cost YOU more money. Won't take long before your legal bills exceed the cost of the warranty claim.

If GM decides it doesn't want to warrant a failure, any failure, odds are they're going to win, one way of another.

Get notified of new replies

To LT6- Things that scare me

Old 12-14-2021, 11:25 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
While you are mostly correct, the MM act is intended to protect aftermarket parts that are equivalent to OEM parts. GM could argue that a performance filter isn't equivalent to the OEM. If push comes to shove, they'd probably lose that one in court. But GM has a whole department of lawyers to defend against lawsuits. They're on salary. It costs GM literally nothing to fight you in court, and use all kinds of delaying tactics to cost YOU more money. Won't take long before your legal bills exceed the cost of the warranty claim.

If GM decides it doesn't want to warrant a failure, any failure, odds are they're going to win, one way of another.
I have stated before that I will not seek an extended warranty again. Independent shops are generally more capable, specialized and appreciate your patronage. Not to mention you can install better parts, too.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:59 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

As an attorney, and one who has a BS in mechanical engineering that actually designed cars and powertrains before law school, I say this: Life is too short to litigate.
Your fees for expert witnesses will be more than the entire powertrain of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by village idiot:
Kodiak Bear (12-15-2021), Red Mist Rulz (12-16-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 09:21 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

As an attorney, and one who has a BS in mechanical engineering that actually designed cars and powertrains before law school, I say this: Life is too short to litigate.
Your fees for expert witnesses will be more than the entire powertrain of the car.
So many times folks are buying into the warranty as well as the car. I don't do that anymore. GMC dealer (actully shop manager) in Huntsville, Al. tried to deny my warranty on headlight problem of my '18 Sierra by claiming I switched a leaf spring in rear. I have done nothing of the kind. The truck is just as driven off the lot when buying new from them. Then tried to say nothing was wrong with left headlight. Service writer finally stepped in and swapped out left headlight from another unit. Now it is as bright as the right headlight. Moral of the story is may as well figure the vehicle is totally your responsibility as soon as you drive out of the dealership. If they happen to service a warranty item consider it as nothing more than icing on the cake. Life is short, only buy the car for what it is. Sure, an extended warranty won't hurt but don't pay anymore than what the car itself is worth unless you think it might help sell to the next owner.

There are, of course, lemon laws or class action suits. Horses of different colors. Keep all service records and research the lemon law in your state; be sure to be timely. When problem arises take to the dealer that day to document. Don't let time expire. Paperwork to present to the court simplifies the process and cuts expenses. Well documented cases might not even have to go to court.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 12-15-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: LT6- Things that scare me