Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

Has the Dealer Mark up, the Flippers, the Wait…

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 07:49 AM
vettesweetnos
Drifting

Received 1,267 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by international blue
Three years ago I knew nothing about buying a C8, and spend a few weeks educating myself on the C8 Forum, before the Z06 Forum even started...What became apparent were several accepted facts.

1. Only Kerbeck and MacMulkin and perhaps a couple others were reliable sources of cars at MSRP.
2. MacMulkin would get the largest allocation of Z06 cars of all.
3. Their reputation was incredible, and they among few had a list for the Z06.....
4. Anyone who visited a local dealer was asking to be F"ed with....for every "good" local dealer story there were 10 "bad" stories. Now some are fine, but most are not. There were so many threads about people getting hosed it was unreal.
5. Based on the STD C8 line.... The Z06 line would be worse...

So I made a deposit at MacMulkin and watched Kerbeck...and when they were bought, that was that.

So no, for the 900 of us at MacMulkin, we are generally not tired, jerked around or otherwise... Anyone considering a local dealer to chase after a Z06 could have done their own research, but many want to get ahead of the next guy, and so you see the crap threads that start with...I'm number three at my..... followed by the complaint that "oh no, they are hitting me with a markup! After they were all so nice to me!" And then the inevitable Legal Action straw poll....
Well said, and this is how you build relationships with customers, good/bad.
The following users liked this post:
international blue (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 04:36 PM
ViperKiller04
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smithers
Not really.

Within a few weeks after the reveal I'll probably fade away from this forum and just forget about it. Some day I will get the call and I will place my order. This appears to be the Corvette I've been saying I wanted them to make since I was about 15 years old in the late 1990's. So I can wait a few years to get my car.

I’ve been wanting this car since the mid 90’s too when I was about 15 and had this model. I was raised in a house that always had a corvette and I’ve had four myself, 2 being z06’s.
The following 3 users liked this post by ViperKiller04:
Arrowsigns (10-15-2021), international blue (10-15-2021), Rob97rr (10-16-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 10:02 AM
Mehfoud
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
I'm glad to see the Corvette brand being so sought after and people willing to pay a mark up and/or waiting lists, etc. It's good to be hot and desirable!
This is so true.

It's like Corvette owners and enthusiasts finally got what we were asking for and are now crying over the inherent situation.

be careful for what you ask for.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:47 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
Etc. Lessened your enthusiasm for the Z06?
Yes, indeed. It's a Vette however, and if we learned anything from history is that to wait a few months, and it sells under MSRP. I waited over a year for my C6-ZO6, bought from an out of state dealer at MSRP with the museum delivery box checked, Cali dealer markups are ridiculous, 6 months after ownership the same car was selling at less than MSRP everywhere (learned my lesson). I have a deposit on the new Emira V6/manual at MSRP (out of state dealer again- Cali mark ups are ridiculous on this car as well), I can drive it until the C8 Z06 hype disappears, and then re-consider.
The following users liked this post:
2cnd Chance (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 12:34 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

^^^
This isn't the C6 or C7...Three model years in and Stingrays are still getting ADM's. You're dreaming if you think the C8 Z06 is going to be under MSRP in "a few months".
The following 3 users liked this post by jimmyb:
SharkDiverZ06 (10-17-2021), vetteman41960 (10-17-2021), Z0HS1CK (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 12:37 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,310 Likes on 2,223 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^
This isn't the C6 or C7...Three model years in and Stingrays are still getting ADM's. You're dreaming if you think the C8 Z06 is going to be under MSRP in "a few months".
The fact used 2020 stingrays are still going for 100k used is just proof that the C8 is a totally different animal in terms of changing the whole dynamics of the name, "corvette".

Everyone wants a corvette now because of the C8. When back then, no one cared for it. And people laughed at those who bought one.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:27 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 978 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
^^^
Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
The fact used 2020 stingrays are still going for 100k used is just proof that the C8 is a totally different animal in terms of changing the whole dynamics of the name, "corvette".

Everyone wants a corvette now because of the C8. When back then, no one cared for it. And people laughed at those who bought one.
I agree not in a few months, but it will happen when supply catches up. It’s a perfect storm of the new design and covid influence
- for now.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:39 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I dont even there will be huge markup in a year. There is too much money being lost for it to continue. East Asia will get back to making chips or other countries will.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:44 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,267 Likes on 6,043 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I dont even there will be huge markup in a year. There is too much money being lost for it to continue. East Asia will get back to making chips or other countries will.
What happens to the global economy when China makes a play for Taiwan?
Old 10-18-2021, 08:05 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
Long term, I think the moral of this story that will be well learned is that they need to diversify their suppliers. The federal government is trying to pass some funding for domestic chip production.

I'm actually shocked there was never anything in place to ensure domestic production, even at very low levels, of essential stuff like chips, medical products, etc. I'm not one for government intervention, but if there is anything the government should be spending on, it's to ensure that if we went to war with China, we wouldn't be stuck trying to buy essential items from them. It's a lot easier to scale up production we already make than figure out how to make something to begin with, then scale up production.
The following 3 users liked this post by village idiot:
craig1952 (10-20-2021), Ragtop 99 (10-18-2021), RapidC84B (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 08:32 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Yes!!!

if the flippers and speculative buyers on numerous lists were not, number would be a lot lower/built sooner
Old 10-18-2021, 01:49 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance
I agree not in a few months, but it will happen when supply catches up. It’s a perfect storm of the new design and covid influence
- for now.
GM (and Ford) have already stated they will no longer let dealers order as many vehicles as they want and expect GM to offer incentives and rebates to help sell them. Going forward GM will control supply and demand for dealers and dealers are not allowed to have more than 30 days inventory on hand for a given model. This means far, far, fewer dealer incentives and rebates. Which means dealers will need to charge close to MSRP as they will have far less volume and far less incentives to pass on to customers from corporate.

I suspect the days when the big dealers like MacMulkin and Kerbeck had hundreds and hundreds of Corvette's available for purchase on dealer lots for 10-20%+ off MSRP are going to be over even when supply passes demand.

Old 10-18-2021, 02:06 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thill444
GM (and Ford) have already stated they will no longer let dealers order as many vehicles as they want and expect GM to offer incentives and rebates to help sell them. Going forward GM will control supply and demand for dealers and dealers are not allowed to have more than 30 days inventory on hand for a given model. This means far, far, fewer dealer incentives and rebates. Which means dealers will need to charge close to MSRP as they will have far less volume and far less incentives to pass on to customers from corporate.

I suspect the days when the big dealers like MacMulkin and Kerbeck had hundreds and hundreds of Corvette's available for purchase on dealer lots for 10-20%+ off MSRP are going to be over even when supply passes demand.
Thing is, it's not that easy to control. The fixed cost of making a car are crazy high. The cost of each additional car is a drop in the bucket. All the R&D is a sunk cost. Labor is the same - they will just control the number of shifts just like they always did. It's not like they can just run the line for 20 hours a week. Cost of assembly line, building, utilities, etc is all there. Only thing is the cost of the actual parts from suppliers. Marketing, healthcare, pensions, executive pay, etc is al the same.

Id take a wild guess that the cost of making one more car (ie: just materials/parts) is at most 20% of the selling price.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:10 PM
Cyclon36
Burning Brakes

Received 1,251 Likes on 470 Posts

Thing is, it's not that easy to control. The fixed cost of making a car are crazy high. The cost of each additional car is a drop in the bucket. All the R&D is a sunk cost. Labor is the same - they will just control the number of shifts just like they always did. It's not like they can just run the line for 20 hours a week. Cost of assembly line, building, utilities, etc is all there. Only thing is the cost of the actual parts from suppliers. Marketing, healthcare, pensions, executive pay, etc is al the same.

Id take a wild guess that the cost of making one more car (ie: just materials/parts) is at most 20% of the selling price.
Typical margin on a vehicle is around 15% or less of the sales price. 20% is considered amazing. So, cost to manufacture is closer to 85%

Last edited by Cyclon36; 10-18-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:11 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,504 Likes on 808 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I waited until 2001 to get a C5 (pre-owned 98). I waited until 2006 to get a new C6. I waited until 2017 to get a new C7 Z06. I'm content to wait a model year or two for a C8 Z06 if need be. I'm in Mike Furman's wait file, on a list with my local dealer, and waiting for the email/call from Ciocca once the reveal is done. The longer I wait the easier it will be to pay cash for it. If the Z06 doesn't do it for me, I'll hang on and get a pre-owned McLaren 570S and wait for the next iteration (not the eRay) to see if that's the one. At my age the C8 will probably be my last new Corvette purchase.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 10-18-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:17 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cyclon36
Typical margin on a vehicle is around 15% or less of the sales price. 20% is considered amazing. So, cost to manufacture is closer to 85%
I think that's all in- including R&D, overhead, labor, marketing, etc. No way just the cost of all the components from suppliers (CoGS) is 85%.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:45 PM
kurumatt
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidC84B
tsmc is building a factory in arizona. Which according to them will be the most advanced chip factory in the world.
we will be just fine. i believe 2024 is completion date.

Get notified of new replies

To Has the Dealer Mark up, the Flippers, the Wait…

Old 10-18-2021, 03:16 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by kurumatt
tsmc is building a factory in arizona. Which according to them will be the most advanced chip factory in the world.
we will be just fine. i believe 2024 is completion date.
Well the bigger issue, IMHO, is that chip manufacturers would rather invest in producing modern chipsets. Many automotive chips are based on very old designs and chip manufacturers would be very leery of building a new plant to build very old chipsets.

It's kinda a catch 22 where automotive companies have to rely on tried and true older chip designs due to all the testing and regulation and chip manufacturers are constantly trying to manufacture faster, smaller, chipsets that are used in far more products. If you invest all that capital in a new facility to produce old chipsets what happens if automotive manufacturers modernize? Your stuck.

Last edited by thill444; 10-18-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Cyclon36
Burning Brakes

I think that's all in- including R&D, overhead, labor, marketing, etc. No way just the cost of all the components from suppliers (CoGS) is 85%.
Right, but it costs more than just materials to run it down the line. I mean, labor is pretty significant and it's not like they're working for free. Plus the lights need to stay on and other things that contribute it to actually rolling down the line. R&D and sunken costs are a small percentage of a vehicles model run per each vehicle
Old 10-18-2021, 03:33 PM
Cyclon36
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thill444
Well the bigger issue, IMHO, is that chip manufacturers would rather invest in producing modern chipsets. Many automotive chips are based on very old designs and chip manufacturers would be very leery of building a new plant to build very old chipsets.

It's kinda a catch 22 where automotive companies have to rely on tried and true older chip designs due to all the testing and regulation and chip manufacturers are constantly trying to manufacture faster, smaller, chipsets that are used in far more products. If you invest all that capital in a new facility to produce old chipsets what happens if automotive manufacturers modernize? Your stuck.
This right here. Nobody is expressing huge interest in building chip factories that will support products that the current automotive market uses. The goal is to alleviate demand of modern chipsets off the companies that can produce the legacy chips though. So, it will help, just not as much as you'd think or as quick.

Quick Reply: Has the Dealer Mark up, the Flippers, the Wait…