Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

C8 Z51 at SCCA Spring Nationals (AutoX)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 07:13 PM
Matthew Griffin
Heel & Toe

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Sorry...,have to turn up my nose at A/X.... did it....(was actually A/X chairman at my PCA region for 2 years).... what a total waste of time.... go to a proper racetrack, and learn to drive a proper car properly... I know many folks who began doing A/X, and moved on to HPDE.... I do not know one the ever went back to A/X...
Then you haven’t been paying attention. Ever heard of Randy Probst? Started in AutoX, still runs AutoX with our region when he is around.

I track 5-7 times a year and AutoX 12-16 times a year. Both are fun in different ways. Both teach car control.

Just stick to what you know…YOU didn’t like AutoX.
The following 3 users liked this post by Matthew Griffin:
427bob (06-11-2021), ArmchairArchitect (06-01-2021), PRE-Z06 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 08:34 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Griffin
Then you haven’t been paying attention. Ever heard of Randy Probst? Started in AutoX, still runs AutoX with our region when he is around.

I track 5-7 times a year and AutoX 12-16 times a year. Both are fun in different ways. Both teach car control.

Just stick to what you know…YOU didn’t like AutoX.
I ran the A/X Program at my PCA Region for 2 years... I know a little bit about it.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:35 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

I ran the A/X Program at my PCA Region for 2 years... I know a little bit about it.
I’ve never run with PCA, what are the classes like?
Old 05-31-2021, 11:12 PM
fzust
Burning Brakes

Received 1,129 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
JFo was a National Champion in BS fwiw, the C8 is on stock mag shocks which are adjustable in height and going to be hard to improve on imho. Also in fair comparison the C8 is on the Yoks like C6Z, which the better gearing and extra rear weight help put power down as power to weight is only advantageous for acceleration if it can be used and it shines on a longer/faster track like the road course.
yep I chatted with JFo as well. Typical street class prep. Other driver is multi champ too so good driver comparison. Unfortunately, JFo is on Yoks which are narrow but great in cold. Other driver on Falkens which are bigger, but need heat which they didn't have. So promising things from C8 but not conclusive.
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:52 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by fzust
yep I chatted with JFo as well. Typical street class prep. Other driver is multi champ too so good driver comparison. Unfortunately, JFo is on Yoks which are narrow but great in cold. Other driver on Falkens which are bigger, but need heat which they didn't have. So promising things from C8 but not conclusive.
IMHO we’re beginning to split hairs, top SS and AS times seem to be similar. Top cars in BS, CS, DS and FS are right there together as well, with great drivers on equal tires of course.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:00 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I’ve never run with PCA, what are the classes like?
How about calling around to find a lot to run on... "Hey, would you let us to race cars around in your parking lot on Sunday for free, with no ability to calculate your liability if somebody gets killed...?"

BOY, that's an easy sale.... good luck with that...

How about hauling a trailer load of road cones around and storing them in your back-yard? That's fun....

How about spending 4 weeks organizing an event, and it rains, and 7 people show up... I had boxes of trophies in my attic....

Would you rather go around some cones jammed in a broken up abandoned K-mart parking lot.... or drive around Watkins Glen International Raceway, Summit Point, VIR, Lime Rock, Pocono?

Jus' sayin'

Old 06-01-2021, 01:35 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,244 Likes on 2,175 Posts

I rather do autox to be honest. Less pressure, simple to get started, good intro to motorsports.

Real track days are probably awesome. But to get started you're basically taking a cruise to get familiar. So you're wasting days and money to start that process.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:19 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
But to get started you're basically taking a cruise to get familiar. So you're wasting days and money to start that process.
Not true.

When I instruct I primarily work with Vette drivers. One novice student I remember - it was his first time on track - and he was the fastest driver in the group, good natural skills. By his second session, when we fell in behind slower traffic, I would pit him for a short time to allow him clear space with no one in front. I moved him to intermediate (unusual) on his third session of his first day, where traffic was faster and his abilities didn't exceed the group. Moral of the story - Big learning experience for him, no Sunday cruise. If you choose never to try track events, the only thing wasted is your ability to learn and get faster.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedLS6:
CPhelps (06-01-2021), ZRacerLE (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:37 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Received 3,305 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Aside from the 200lb weight penalty , having an instructor/coach is going to make you faster. Even the very advanced guys/gals benefit from it.

The events that require you to start with an instructor always make sure you're not being held up if you are faster. You get bumped up quick.

And if for whatever reason, you just do not want an instructor, there are tons of events/organizations that will let you jump in and drive solo AND pass on day one.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:19 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedLS6
Not true.

When I instruct I primarily work with Vette drivers. One novice student I remember - it was his first time on track - and he was the fastest driver in the group, good natural skills. By his second session, when we fell in behind slower traffic, I would pit him for a short time to allow him clear space with no one in front. I moved him to intermediate (unusual) on his third session of his first day, where traffic was faster and his abilities didn't exceed the group. Moral of the story - Big learning experience for him, no Sunday cruise. If you choose never to try track events, the only thing wasted is your ability to learn and get faster.
Again, not all track events are the same. My buddy has been trying to get me to attend a track day since I got my c7z. He told me all the restrictions. He couldn't pass, he had to have an instructor ride passenger.

I do wanna try it but I couldn't care less if i never do. A proper track is far from me and I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on my first try to take a Sunday cruise in a fast car as a c7z is. Might as well have fun in Mexico Sunday morning. I do that anyway.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 06-01-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:18 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

Again, not all track events are the same. My buddy has been trying to get me to attend a track day since I got my c7z. He told me all the restrictions. He couldn't pass, he had to have an instructor ride passenger.

I do wanna try it but I couldn't care less if i never do. A proper track is far from me and I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on my first try to take a Sunday cruise in a fast car as a c7z is. Might as well have fun in Mexico Sunday morning. I do that anyway.
If they are keeping your buddy running slow, he must not be able to competently handle the car yet. Hopefully he'll stick with it and get fast.

Your C7Z is only fast in principle until you can drive it fast. Completely impossible to drive "fast" on the street. Get to the track.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:49 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

A proper track is far from me and I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on my first try to take a Sunday cruise in a fast car as a c7z is. Might as well have fun in Mexico Sunday morning. I do that anyway.
Hundreds of bucks is peanuts, especially if you're in the market for a C8Z.
ZRacerLE (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 05:15 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedLS6
Hundreds of bucks is peanuts, especially if you're in the market for a C8Z.
has nothing to do with the money alone. So if it's peanuts send me the money and I'll go take a Sunday cruise on my first track day then lol

I'm just saying it's a waste of money to take a Sunday cruise on my first track day. When i Can have equal fun or more on the street for free.

I don't mind taking Sunday cruises. I do it every Sunday already. For free. But I go fast sometimes haha
Old 06-01-2021, 05:29 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

has nothing to do with the money alone. So if it's peanuts send me the money and I'll go take a Sunday cruise on my first track day then lol

I'm just saying it's a waste of money to take a Sunday cruise on my first track day. When i Can have equal fun or more on the street for free.

I don't mind taking Sunday cruises. I do it every Sunday already. For free. But I go fast sometimes haha
nope
CPhelps (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 05:39 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

I'm sorry, but Z0HS1CK has no idea what he's talking about....

I'm a Certified instructor with RTR-PCA.... we virtually invented HPDE.... probably instructed more than 150 students over the years
vettesweetnos (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 05:44 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I'm sorry, but Z0HS1CK has no idea what he's talking about....

I'm a Certified instructor with RTR-PCA.... we virtually invented HPDE.... probably instructed more than 150 students over the years
Again, all track days are different.

So you're going to sit here and tell me, i can sign up to whatever track event is coming up by me, and go on course with my C7Z, and go all out? After the intro in the classroom before the session etc, i go out in the car, and go all out? No instructor with me, and pass people like i'm about to win a championship?

Old 06-01-2021, 05:47 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

So you're going to sit here and tell me, i can sign up to whatever track event is coming up by me, and go on course with my C7Z, and go all out? After the intro in the classroom before the session etc, i go out in the car, and go all out? No instructor with me, and pass people like i'm about to win a championship?
I know he has me on ignore, but to others who are interested, every car club I've ran with never required an instructor and always allowed me to pass way back when I was getting started. SCCA time trials in Houston is the same way.

Of course you'll get black flagged and eventually banned if you demonstrate you're a danger.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Z51 at SCCA Spring Nationals (AutoX)

Old 06-01-2021, 06:22 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

No. I'm telling you how most HPDE events are managed, and the model is pretty well set.... you get an experienced driver who is going to ride with you and teach you proper driving technique for about $350 per weekend... teach you protocol, and if you are not a total idiot, may sign you off to drive by yourself... you can sign up at almost any track in the country.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:42 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

No. I'm telling you how most HPDE events are managed, and the model is pretty well set.... you get an experienced driver who is going to ride with you and teach you proper driving technique for about $350 per weekend... teach you protocol, and if you are not a total idiot, may sign you off to drive by yourself... you can sign up at almost any track in the country.
So it's 215 bucks to take a beginners progressive paced laps. This is for beginners, which would be me. Doesn't matter if i did drag racing, autox, or drove 1000hp cars for decades, i sign up here and i have to attend the beginners option.

"(4) 20-minute sessions on track, led by the official pace car. Each session will build on the previous, progressively increasing speed and frequently exceeding 100 mph. by the end of the day."

This isn't a controlled track day? Let's say i'm a fast learner and i do well, i get an unrestricted track day say after my 2nd session that day?

Probably not right?

So again, my first track day is basically a sunday cruise.

I don't see a 350 dollar option for the track i'm looking at, which would explain why i said each track event is different. Maybe by you there's an unrestricted track day. By me, there isn't any unless i attend multiple, basically earning the ranks.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 06-01-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:48 PM
ZRacerLE
Melting Slicks

So it's 215 bucks to take a beginners progressive paced laps. This is for beginners, which would be me. Doesn't matter if i did drag racing, autox, or drove 1000hp cars for decades, i sign up here and i have to attend the beginners option.

"(4) 20-minute sessions on track, led by the official pace car. Each session will build on the previous, progressively increasing speed and frequently exceeding 100 mph. by the end of the day."

This isn't a controlled track day? Let's say i'm a fast learner and i do well, i get an unrestricted track day say after my 2nd session that day?

Probably not right?

So again, my first track day is basically a sunday cruise.

I don't see a 350 dollar option for the track i'm looking at, which would explain why i said each track event is different. Maybe by you there's an unrestricted track day. By me, there isn't any unless i attend multiple, basically earning the ranks.
You get an unrestricted track day if you do SCCA time trials or many of the car clubs (I don't know PCA though).

The driving schools where you use your own car will be restrictive... and way safer.

Quick Reply: C8 Z51 at SCCA Spring Nationals (AutoX)