C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

c8z race seat summary? (and list of elec issues)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 06:58 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Default c8z race seat summary? (and list of elec issues)

From the browsing i've done, it appears that to put race seats in a C8z results in an airbag warning light that must be dismissed every freaking startup, which is a minor hassle, but doable. presumably this means that the now missing seat airbags can't deploy, but i guess that maybe the main airbags still would? Anybody know?

Are there any other repercussions so far from doing this? (other than the obvious fact that you have no seat airbags)

Has any C8 been known to randomly blow airbags like the camaros?

Will the main airbags still work with the seat airbags removed and unplugged?

Are there any bs electronic risks or repercussions from just pulling the airbag fuse entirely? Under what conditions can airbags deploy without the fuse in the car?

is there an aftermarket plug/jumper available yet for c8's seat plugs to eliminate any of these issues?

Are there any other defects exposed by, or risks associated with, having the seat airbag plug and seats removed? (electronic risks, the mechanical risks are obvious)

i guess while i am at it, what other absurd defects exist in the c8z?

the ones i have found so far include:

1) that if you put 2 alternate wheels on it without air pressure senders, the car will try to kill you and destroy itself while repeatedly stabbing the front brakes whenever you turn the wheel. Presumably, this life threatening risk will also occur if one or more of your wheel sensors fails to deliver its signal, so drive at your own risk.

2) when (not if) it randomly destroys your battery, you have to pull the defective-concept-of-the-fob apart and pull a real actual key out of the stupid thing (a mechanical key being the only thing it should have ever had in the first place), and then find the hidden actual real mechanical lock (which is all the f***ing car should have ever had in the first place), open the door, then do a cirque de solei's act to find the mechanical hidden frunk latch, (which is all it ever should have had in the first place), and then open the frunk, and then pull a bunch of bs disposable fastener plastic pieces out to find the battery, and then pull that heavy **** out while standing in the frunk. (i never could even find the mechanical key lock for the rear hatch).

3) the f***ing thing will also not obey your commands and will try to kill you and destroy itself in the following ways i have found so far:

a) it will not go into neutral on command, or basically ever in any situation where you actually need it to be in neutral.
b) it will not go into drive or reverse on command if any of the doors or hatches are open.
c) the start button does a bunch of random stuff, depending on how close your stupid fob is to the car and how long or how many times you press it, instead of functioning properly like an actual f***ing key (which always worked flawlessly since they were invented 10,000 years ago, before electrical engineers, government morons and accountants took over car companies).
d) the door latch, and i think other hatch buttons will refuse your commands to open the doors if the car is in gear. (i dont even bother with the defective button anymore, i always just use the actual mechanical door handle to get out, which is all it ever should have had in the first place).
e) i understand that to bleed the brakes or change pads requires special tools and a long term battery disconnect

what else?

most every other defect (other than the antenna/big brother thread stuff) can be largely turned off with some absurd hassles and annoyances.

PS - most of these defects have crept into all kinds of cars now, this isnt a 'trash the c8z' thread. just a 'trash the morons building cars today' thread.

Old 03-13-2024, 02:16 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,025 Posts

If I recall correctly, Corvettes (and I presume most other cars) limit the lateral forces (to 0.6 G?) when a flat tire is detected. I think this has been the case for Corvettes since at least C6 Corvettes. It doesn't try to kill you really, but I'm sure hard jerks would feel very unnerving : ) As you know, you can avoid it by not having any TPMS, or having it on all 4 corners so the car knows what you're up to. There's also a key press sequence to disable TPMS sensors after startup if you will have to use TPMS sensors in only some of the tires.

You can press and hold "N" pressing brake pedal, and it does get into neutral. If you want it in Neutral when you're out of the car, you need to do this with the door open (or else it would get back to P once you open the door).

I obviously am not guaranteeing it, but I've heard that the remaining airbags do work even when some are not available or disabled. If not sure, it's easy to test it out : )

No special tool necessary on the brakes if you remove the whole caliper. The aforementioned special tool is actually used by many European cars as well; it's a $10 socket.
The following users liked this post:
racerx8 (03-14-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 10:58 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 481 Posts

Bleeding the brakes took me 20 minutes and required no special tools. Used my same pressure setup with an reservoir adapter off Amazon.

If you think the fob is baffling from factory, try the mods4cars controller (for the HTC) which makes fob presses a supremely frustrating game of memory.
The following users liked this post:
theseal (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 06:36 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

not much feedback yet, but i figure i can provide some feedback. i guess my OP was wordy and maybe too negative on the electronics. i just hate that no one makes an appropriately designed car from an electrical standpoint anymore.

i pulled the drivers seat out, weighs 62 lbs. the harness connector has damn near as many leads as my entire USCA car harness that ran the entire car with state of the art electronics!

The seatbelt sensor is 2 wires, i didnt trace them yet to fool them or jump them as to where they enter the main connector, but if anyone has done that, i'd like that info. The seat belts bolt to the seats on both sides. Sort of a PITA to pull out and re-purpose.

i ended up just putting it back in as the race seats i was going to swap in had a problem. I may still do it though... 90 lbs is significant and i dont want to put unnecessary wear on the nice factory seats while trailering the car. Also, i find myself sliding around in the seats a bit much on track as well.

Get notified of new replies

To c8z race seat summary? (and list of elec issues)

Quick Reply: c8z race seat summary? (and list of elec issues)