C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

HEADERS….. who’s are best? No drone

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 09:14 PM
Hoffy
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HEADERS….. who’s are best? No drone

I’m looking for a bit of exhaust sound change. A bit louder but I don’t want the drone that comes with changing the mufflers and cats. Thought maybe doing headers would give me the sound I need without the headache of drone during long drives. Has anyone changed just their headers and kept the stock mufflers? How do you like it? Who did you go with?
Old 02-04-2024, 09:32 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,745 Likes on 2,934 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoffy
I’m looking for a bit of exhaust sound change. A bit louder but I don’t want the drone that comes with changing the mufflers and cats. Thought maybe doing headers would give me the sound I need without the headache of drone during long drives. Has anyone changed just their headers and kept the stock mufflers? How do you like it? Who did you go with?
I started with aFe headers before any other exhaust mods. Good power gains but minimal change in exhaust sound with the stock cats & muffler in place. If you want more volume, do cats. Even with headers + cats I had zero drone with the stock NPP muffler in any mode.
The following users liked this post:
c8professional (03-13-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 09:34 PM
Hoffy
Intermediate

I live in an area that doesn’t have e check. So I could get away with no cats. Would that be a bad thing for throwing codes and drone?
so you’re saying hi flow cats and headers gave you a good sound and no drone inside?
Old 02-04-2024, 09:56 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

I live in an area that doesn’t have e check. So I could get away with no cats. Would that be a bad thing for throwing codes and drone?
so you’re saying hi flow cats and headers gave you a good sound and no drone inside?
Full catless is going to be LOUD and there's a good chance you'll struggle with CEL codes.

Correct regarding headers + cats. Here's my thread on the two: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...port-cats.html
Old 02-04-2024, 10:04 PM
Hoffy
Intermediate

Louder than a new catback?
Old 02-05-2024, 08:00 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Louder than a new catback?
A new catback exhaust system will be louder. I've since added a Borla and it added more volume than anything else did.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:05 AM
Hoffy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kracka
A new catback exhaust system will be louder. I've since added a Borla and it added more volume than anything else did.
so maybe just do headers and hi flow cats
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoffy:
bluekey28 (02-16-2024), Kracka (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 09:21 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

so maybe just do headers and hi flow cats
That would be my advice; easy to install them both at the same time.
MikeinAZ (03-15-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 09:57 AM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

https://shop.2mfabrication.com/produ...-headers-1-7-8
Old 02-06-2024, 10:15 AM
Corvetteexhaustsystems
Supporting Vendor

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Adding headers or sport cats will add drone in cabin in loud mode if you currently have a dual mode exhaust.

If a customer of mine is worried about drone I always point them to a top of the line C8 Corvette Corsa catback with the four valves as they tend to minimize drone better than any other option out there. If you do not have the z51 package or the performance exhaust package from the factory you cannot run this setup.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on a new catback sport cats or headers will be a good option at a much lower price point. On an oem dual mode setup once you close the valve it'll be super tame.

Happy to go over all the options in stock from headers sport cats & catbacks with special corvetteforum savings.
201-575-0861 (cell to call or text)
Your Ultimate Resource For Headers, Exhaust Systems & more for Corvette! I carry Corsa, Kooks, ARH, Borla, Billy Boat, Akrapovic, Capristo & Much More

The following 3 users liked this post by Corvetteexhaustsystems:
HoneyBadger97 (02-26-2024), Michael A (02-15-2024), MikeinAZ (03-15-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 10:43 AM
Hoffy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvetteexhaustsystems
Adding headers or sport cats will add drone in cabin in loud mode if you currently have a dual mode exhaust.

If a customer of mine is worried about drone I always point them to a top of the line C8 Corvette Corsa catback with the four valves as they tend to minimize drone better than any other option out there. If you do not have the z51 package or the performance exhaust package from the factory you cannot run this setup.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on a new catback sport cats or headers will be a good option at a much lower price point. On an oem dual mode setup once you close the valve it'll be super tame.

Happy to go over all the options in stock from headers sport cats & catbacks with special corvetteforum savings.
thanks for the information. I do not have the Z 51 package. So mine is just the base model entry level exhaust. No valves to control. I figured doing at least the high flow cats would give me more sound. But the stock muffler would hopefully keep it tight enough tonight give me crazy drone.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:53 AM
Wadejesu
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

What size tubes do the OEM headers have 1.5 inch maybe?
Old 02-06-2024, 02:11 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

I would start off with Corsa Sport cats and see how you like that, then you can add headers or an exhaust from there for more power and sound.

We have these in stock and can help you start off there.

-Josh
Hoffy (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 09:52 PM
Corvetteexhaustsystems
Supporting Vendor

thanks for the information. I do not have the Z 51 package. So mine is just the base model entry level exhaust. No valves to control. I figured doing at least the high flow cats would give me more sound. But the stock muffler would hopefully keep it tight enough tonight give me crazy drone.
You actually have two valves, the afm valves, before the mufflers. Among the many other functions they serve, they also close when the engine goes into 4 cylinder mode to minimize drone in cabin.

If you want to add volume without modifying emissions components, I'd suggest headers. I do have the following options in stock ready to ship:
Corsa Headers For C8 Stingray
aFe C8 Twisted Steel Headers For C8 Stingray - Raw Finish

If you would want to go with a Sport Cat, I have the following options in stock:
Corsa Sport Cats For C8 Corvette (for the month of February I can get you $193 back on these)
Kooks Ultra Green Cats For C8 Corvette (these utilize a custom-spec GESI catalytic converter)
Old 02-07-2024, 09:00 AM
gtpvette
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

You can probably pick up an NPP exhaust (C8 performance exhaust) for $100 or so and bolt that on. Valves remain open without the wiring. Easy and inexpensive first step to make it louder. I ran my C7 with valves open all the time. I've already bought one myself, just need to bolt it on.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:42 AM
Corvetteexhaustsystems
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by gtpvette
You can probably pick up an NPP exhaust (C8 performance exhaust) for $100 or so and bolt that on. Valves remain open without the wiring. Easy and inexpensive first step to make it louder. I ran my C7 with valves open all the time. I've already bought one myself, just need to bolt it on.
HA this is one way of upgrading the standard exhaust. Open all the time
Movie Muscle (02-18-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 12:06 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 266 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by Kracka
I started with aFe headers before any other exhaust mods. Good power gains but minimal change in exhaust sound with the stock cats & muffler in place. If you want more volume, do cats. Even with headers + cats I had zero drone with the stock NPP muffler in any mode.
I'm thinking of just adding headers with the stock NPP hoping for a more aggressive sound, but you're saying it barely increases the exhaust sound? Bummer! I do have 2M Sport Cats, but from my research, they don't really add anything other than sound, so I'm not sure I will use them. I'm worried it will be too loud with the headers and sport cats.

Get notified of new replies

To HEADERS….. who’s are best? No drone

Old 02-07-2024, 12:19 PM
Sweetness34
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvetteexhaustsystems

How is cold start with the 4 valve system? Will it suppress the volume more (or quicker if the valves can be closed) compared to other aftermarket solutions? That's my biggest concern due to living in a shared building. My garage shares walls with actual units so trying not to really upset my neighbors.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:53 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C7Me
I'm thinking of just adding headers with the stock NPP hoping for a more aggressive sound, but you're saying it barely increases the exhaust sound? Bummer! I do have 2M Sport Cats, but from my research, they don't really add anything other than sound, so I'm not sure I will use them. I'm worried it will be too loud with the headers and sport cats.
It definitely will not be too loud with headers + sport cats retaining NPP, that I assure you. I still wanted more after doing both, and added the Borla system.
C7Me (02-12-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 08:56 AM
Wadejesu
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

What do you do with OEM headers & Shields? , Besides scrap yard

Quick Reply: HEADERS….. who’s are best? No drone