C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

PDR and Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 05:08 PM
JSiebels
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDR and Autocross

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY used the autocross function in the PDR and had it set the start and stop points correctly? Set the start and finish according to the manual... If I don't start the record manually, it doesn't automatically start at the start point. Then I get varying video lengths and can't compare runs. Which brings me to the next issue....would need to manually offset the start to get the times right.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:15 AM
Colorado Torchy
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 61 Posts

Same here. I got tired of trying. Shame. Probably something I am doing wrong.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:35 AM
JSiebels
5th Gear

I honestly don’t think the functionality is there. They need to add the ability to insert start and finish while synching video, that would solve a lot of the issues. Also have the start time base on accents from a stop at the start gps point so the recording time is irrelevant.
Old 01-01-2024, 03:09 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JSiebels
Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY used the autocross function in the PDR and had it set the start and stop points correctly? Set the start and finish according to the manual... If I don't start the record manually, it doesn't automatically start at the start point. Then I get varying video lengths and can't compare runs. Which brings me to the next issue....would need to manually offset the start to get the times right.
I figured there was no way for gps to be accurate vs timing light. You can compare your own runs. Its a big help while in line waiting for the next run.
Old 01-01-2024, 03:26 PM
mikegr
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 108 Posts

It doesnt automatically start timer at the set start line and then stop for lap time at set finish line if you start recording before you stage? This is how it works on a closed circuit course. it starts timer as soon as you cross start finish line you set and then resets each time you cross the line. If you go out on track past the start finish line it doesnt start timer until second lap.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:01 PM
JSiebels
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mikegr
It doesnt automatically start timer at the set start line and then stop for lap time at set finish line if you start recording before you stage? This is how it works on a closed circuit course. it starts timer as soon as you cross start finish line you set and then resets each time you cross the line. If you go out on track past the start finish line it doesnt start timer until second lap.
I think ultimately the issue with autocross…. Is your at the start line physically (gps location), but haven’t started the run until you are “released” by the starter, then the timer starts a few feet from where you stage. So they need logic to start the run based on location AND another factor such are speed movement or accel is higher than’x’ if that makes sense.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:03 PM
mikegr
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JSiebels
I think ultimately the issue with autocross…. Is your at the start line physically (gps location), but haven’t started the run until you are “released” by the starter, then the timer starts a few feet from where you stage. So they need logic to start the run based on location AND another factor such are speed movement or accel is higher than’x’ if that makes sense.
that does make sense if you start too close to the start line that it can’t figure that out then that is a problem
Old 01-03-2024, 11:41 AM
Poppa Wheelie
Cruising

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I use solostorm for autocross. It's a great tool to compare runs with yourself and others, data logging, and video capture with overlay. Chevy PDR just falls short.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:30 PM
sanddigger
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My club does a "parade lap" through the course and that's when I set the start and stop markers just past the actual start light eye and finish eye. Works great
The following 2 users liked this post by sanddigger:
JSiebels (01-05-2024), jwt1603 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 10:03 AM
JSiebels
5th Gear

Originally Posted by sanddigger
My club does a "parade lap" through the course and that's when I set the start and stop markers just past the actual start light eye and finish eye. Works great
When you do this, does the record automatically start when you cross the start point, or do you manually have to start recording before they release you for the run? The parade lap is great, but we don't get that... however if the concept holds true, I can work around it. Our local SCCA has the timer start about 15' ish away from the release point....so it should be far enough to NOT trigger a "start line" if setup that way....kind of have to lose a little bit on the first run to make sure its set correctly but the first run is rarely the best run anyway.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:05 AM
JSiebels
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Poppa Wheelie
I use solostorm for autocross. It's a great tool to compare runs with yourself and others, data logging, and video capture with overlay. Chevy PDR just falls short.
I have a Racebox mini, but trying to avoid putting extra crap in the car...no great place to do a windshield mount that is completely out of the way, etc... The PDR SHOULD be able to handle this task with some pretty simple coding upgrades to detect a launch from a stop in auto cross OR allow the software to reset the start and finish through editing the results.

Get notified of new replies

To PDR and Autocross

Quick Reply: PDR and Autocross