C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

Finally! A reasonably priced intake!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 02:38 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,743 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Performance nut
Bigger filters?
I tested some enlarged filters to increase flow while extending cleaning interval. Also note how I enlarged the air inlets to further minimize available airflow. All the details are contained within my thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-arrived.html
Old 12-30-2023, 05:40 PM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
I tested some enlarged filters to increase flow while extending cleaning interval. Also note how I enlarged the air inlets to further minimize available airflow. All the details are contained within my thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-arrived.html
Rather than jack your other thread up, I'll ask here @Kracka. I can see the physical difference in the size of the filters. I mean, it is pretty darn obvious. But did it make a difference? It looks like you ran the blue oiled filters for awhile and then switched to the dry grey oversized filters shortly after. I saw your post that FI likes the blue oiled filters and NA likes the dry grey filters. I guess the questions are:
  1. Was there a noticeable difference between the 5R blue oiled filters that came with the kit and the oversized Pro Dry S dry filters? Can you elaborate if there was?
  2. Are you curious if the oversized 5R blue oiled filter would have similar or different results than the oversized Pro Dry S dry filter?

I'm also curious if the 5R will outshine the Pro Dry S if you have different NA modifications like intake manifold (ported or aftermarket), ported throttle body, and ported cylinder heads for example that will take advantage of the higher flow rate.

Last edited by Performance nut; 12-30-2023 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:04 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Rather than jack your other thread up, I'll ask here @Kracka. I can see the physical difference in the size of the filters. I mean, it is pretty darn obvious. But did it make a difference? It looks like you ran the blue oiled filters for awhile and then switched to the dry grey oversized filters shortly after. I saw your post that FI likes the blue oiled filters and NA likes the dry grey filters. I guess the questions are:
  1. Was there a noticeable difference between the 5R blue oiled filters that came with the kit and the oversized Pro Dry S dry filters? Can you elaborate if there was?
  2. Are you curious if the oversized 5R blue oiled filter would have similar or different results than the oversized Pro Dry S dry filter?

I'm also curious if the 5R will outshine the Pro Dry S if you have different NA modifications like intake manifold (ported or aftermarket), ported throttle body, and ported cylinder heads for example that will take advantage of the higher flow rate.
@Performance nut sorry for the delayed, response.

Seat of the pants, yes, the larger filters seemed to yield slightly stronger top-end pull while audibly there was an increase in induction sound. I'm sure enlarged 5R filters would have performed similarly, but all independent dyno testing does point towards the ProDryS out-performing the 5R on N/A engines. I tested both types on my C7, as well. I do like the ease of cleaning the dry filters! Shake & vacuum them out occasionally, then when they get really dirty just soak in a warm water bucket with dishsoap, rinse, and air dry. I have nothing against oiled filters though and do run them on both my Jeeps if that's your preference (I may switch one over to dry next time it's due for cleaning just for simplicity).

Ported heads/cam may be another story, but I do have full bolt-on supporting mods on my car (throttle body, intake manifold, headers, cats, & exhaust).
Old 01-02-2024, 08:19 PM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts

@Performance nut sorry for the delayed, response.

Seat of the pants, yes, the larger filters seemed to yield slightly stronger top-end pull while audibly there was an increase in induction sound. I'm sure enlarged 5R filters would have performed similarly, but all independent dyno testing does point towards the ProDryS out-performing the 5R on N/A engines. I tested both types on my C7, as well. I do like the ease of cleaning the dry filters! Shake & vacuum them out occasionally, then when they get really dirty just soak in a warm water bucket with dishsoap, rinse, and air dry. I have nothing against oiled filters though and do run them on both my Jeeps if that's your preference (I may switch one over to dry next time it's due for cleaning just for simplicity).

Ported heads/cam may be another story, but I do have full bolt-on supporting mods on my car (throttle body, intake manifold, headers, cats, & exhaust).
Thanks for responding! A follow up question is I may. Did you put the oversized filter on before or after all your modifications? I can't tell from the other thread other than the Corsa cats coming around the same time.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:55 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Thanks for responding! A follow up question is I may. Did you put the oversized filter on before or after all your modifications? I can't tell from the other thread other than the Corsa cats coming around the same time.
Intake came before the cats, but the oversized filters came after the cats before the Borla. Everything else was done beforehand.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kracka:
08velocity (01-27-2024), Performance nut (01-03-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 12:11 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Intake came before the cats, but the oversized filters came after the cats before the Borla. Everything else was done beforehand.
Is there a separate part number for the oversized filters ? Or are the oversized the ones that will come with dry kit ?
Old 01-27-2024, 01:06 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 08velocity
Is there a separate part number for the oversized filters ? Or are the oversized the ones that will come with dry kit ?
They are a separate part number that I have listed in my aFe intake thread. I'll go find it...
The following users liked this post:
08velocity (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 01:07 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

They are a separate part number that I have listed in my aFe intake thread. I'll go find it...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1605067091
08velocity (01-27-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 08:11 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

Hey kracka,thx for all your help with things!
Im deciding on route to go and curious why afe wouldn’t give us the larger filters WITH air box instead on the less restrictive ones?
Old 01-28-2024, 08:13 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gary barnes 1098
Hey kracka,thx for all your help with things!
Im deciding on route to go and curious why afe wouldn’t give us the larger filters WITH air box instead on the less restrictive ones?
According to my discussion with them, their engineers determined the standard filter size to be good enough and provide adequate gains in airflow. I also suspect they wanted to maintain a single size air filter across all their C8 intake offerings; I do not believe my oversized filters would fit inside their box with the carbon fiber cover.
Old 01-29-2024, 10:51 PM
Corvetteexhaustsystems
Supporting Vendor

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

@Kracka nowadays Corsa has a carbon fiber window to show off your carbon intake!!

Corsa Carbon Fiber Trunk Window for C8 Corvette
201-575-0861 (cell to call or text)
Your Ultimate Resource For Headers, Exhaust Systems & more for Corvette! I carry Corsa, Kooks, ARH, Borla, Billy Boat, Akrapovic, Capristo & Much More

Kracka (01-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Finally! A reasonably priced intake!