C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

C8 Track setup / help reduce further reduce understeer

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 08:01 PM
allblackeverything
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RafGTS
I also went with a larger front size based on allblackeverything's advice (thanks!). 285/645 up front significantly helped but I also noticed further improvement when I ran in Race 2 instead of Race 1 or Sport.
glad it’s helping!

I have to turn everything off because with these tire sizes the computer isn’t happy and intervenes wayyyyy too much
The following users liked this post:
DBrinx (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 09:28 PM
DBrinx
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick update: I upgraded my wheels and tires to 275/35/18 and 325/30/19 as I wanted to keep the diameters similar to stock for clearance reasons. This significantly reduced the understeer problem and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive. My lap times went down without really pushing the car that hard. I will be installing the MCS 2WNR coilovers in a few weeks. Depending on the results I may install the aFe sway bars but many seem to think that will be unnecessary once the MCS suspension is installed.

On a side note, I also added the GiroDisc rotors, G-Loc R10 brake pads and steel brake lines. This made a big difference, giving much better braking feel and bite which inspires much more confidence on track.
Poppa Wheelie (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 10:22 AM
Poppa Wheelie
Cruising

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

@DBrinx "...tires to 275/35/18 and 325/30/19 ..."

What tires are you running?
Old 09-27-2023, 10:39 AM
DBrinx
Heel & Toe

The tires are Continental ExtremeContact Force
Old 10-17-2023, 10:32 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The understeer of a C8 is due to the suspension pushing against suspension or shock bushings that have give.

One fix is stiffer suspension bushings while another fix is stiffer springs for less suspension bump movement.

Lowering the car on stock springs, resulting in less spring preload, doesn't help.

When fixed, the car will handle more like a race car and could even swing out the rear-end just on too much entry spreed.

For driving style, don't trail brake of course. Well, don't load the front-end with braking on the turn-in. A driver might increase rear-end drift with mid-corner brake action. But with the right amount of entry speed then the driver begins adding a small amount of power at mid-corner. If a lot of power is added at mid-corner then the entry speed was to slow.

Last edited by B Stead; 10-17-2023 at 11:01 PM.
DBrinx (10-17-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 09:21 AM
pmharris
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DBrinx
Quick update: I upgraded my wheels and tires to 275/35/18 and 325/30/19 as I wanted to keep the diameters similar to stock for clearance reasons. This significantly reduced the understeer problem and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive. My lap times went down without really pushing the car that hard. I will be installing the MCS 2WNR coilovers in a few weeks. Depending on the results I may install the aFe sway bars but many seem to think that will be unnecessary once the MCS suspension is installed.

On a side note, I also added the GiroDisc rotors, G-Loc R10 brake pads and steel brake lines. This made a big difference, giving much better braking feel and bite which inspires much more confidence on track.
what wheels and experience to date. Apex?
The Continentals are a top notch track tire.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:46 PM
4g63codi
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C8gofast
If anyone is interested, I have MCS 2way dampers for sale. They came off my C8 that participated in a weenie roast and now I have a ZO6. They are basically brand new.
I can’t pm where account is new - if you still have these I’ll buy them!
Old 11-28-2023, 10:25 AM
C8gofast
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Codi@JinnSpeed
I can’t pm where account is new - if you still have these I’ll buy them!
They have been sold

Quick Reply: C8 Track setup / help reduce further reduce understeer