C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

'23 C8 Z51 Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 09:02 PM
mikegr
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
More updates
(Lisle 29100 Quick Quad Pad Spreader) for $60. This should hopefully make it easier next time.
I have used this for years, works great, I still have a bit of an issue with the AP calipers getting the pistons all the way back as the tool doesnt quite fit across all the pistons and likely wont be wide enough for you to use without pads. I just put the paddles of the spreader between the ears of the backing plates that stick up and push them apart before removing. Makes for an easy job.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:09 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,473 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by eagletangogreen
Do you happen to know what your car weighs ?
3576 lb
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1606789327

Originally Posted by mikegr
I have used this for years, works great, I still have a bit of an issue with the AP calipers getting the pistons all the way back as the tool doesnt quite fit across all the pistons and likely wont be wide enough for you to use without pads. I just put the paddles of the spreader between the ears of the backing plates that stick up and push them apart before removing. Makes for an easy job.
That's exactly what I ordered it for! Great to hear that it helps.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:29 PM
cars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

x25, how is the sr21 pads? I have the essex pad spreader and it push my ap caliper outside pistons all the way in not inside pistons. the inside pistons seems real hard to push in. I hears sr21 not good on modulation but last a long long time
Old 04-12-2024, 07:54 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

SR21s are high friction pads like DTC70(80?), ST47, XR1, etc. If you're used to such pads, you should not have any problems.

I have just installed them on my C8. They felt good at the track, similar to 3.12s, but have not used them enough on this platform to have a strong opinion, yet to compare against Ferodo 3.12s.

That said, I did use SR21s on my '23 BRZ as well as C7 Z06/Z07. I like how they feel, and they were consistent as well. They did not last as long as ST47s, but they lasted a lot longer than XR1s on those platforms in my experience. They actually lasted much longer than 3.12s as well on BRZ, but that platform is much lighter duty than C8, so we'll see.

One observation I have for all these pads is how their wear rate substantially increases once you hit their temperature threshold. For this reason, two pads that wear similarly on a light platform might have substantially different results on a more demanding platform. ST47s have been awesome on this, but well Raybestos could not get its act together in the last 3 years, and they're still running into availability issues..

EDIT: My SR21 journey with BRZ: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...50#post3551750

Last edited by X25; 04-12-2024 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:41 PM
cars
Instructor

I just run ds3.12s on stingray and z06s. using tires 4s and stickest hoosier r7. I was thinking maybe sr21 will last longer than ds3.12. my bite on stingray is great on ds3 but on z not so. the z ccb actually had more initial bite. I was thinking sr21 with higher mu maybe feel like it has more bite than ds3?

Originally Posted by X25
SR21s are high friction pads like DTC70(80?), ST47, XR1, etc. If you're used to such pads, you should not have any problems.

I have just installed them on my C8. They felt good at the track, similar to 3.12s, but have not used them enough on this platform to have a strong opinion, yet to compare against Ferodo 3.12s.

That said, I did use SR21s on my '23 BRZ as well as C7 Z06/Z07. I like how they feel, and they were consistent as well. They did not last as long as ST47s, but they lasted a lot longer than XR1s on those platforms in my experience. They actually lasted much longer than 3.12s as well on BRZ, but that platform is much lighter duty than C8, so we'll see.

One observation I have for all these pads is how their wear rate substantially increases once you hit their temperature threshold. For this reason, two pads that wear similarly on a light platform might have substantially different results on a more demanding platform. ST47s have been awesome on this, but well Raybestos could not get its act together in the last 3 years, and they're still running into availability issues..

EDIT: My SR21 journey with BRZ: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...50#post3551750
Old 04-12-2024, 09:07 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

On my C7 Z06/Z07, I realized the car came with a smaller booster to compensate for the naturally high bite of the carbon brakes. When I switched to regular Z06 brakes, it felt underwhelming due to this reason. I ended up swapping to regular Z06's booster to fix the issue:

Cars with Z07 / CCB brakes; lower brake boost issue (link).
Old 04-12-2024, 10:46 PM
cars
Instructor

x25, wow. I just got full ap put on z07 today and burnished the discs. then I drove the full ap z06 70th and it feels like the brake grabs more but I figure it is because pads and rotors have some miles and track day. the stingray must boost even more or lighter as it feels the best, also ap brakes. all three has same 9668 calipers. you sure got alot of data on everything. I just track mostly stock cars and upgrade the brake for safety.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:53 PM
RafGTS
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegr
I've tried different spreaders over the years and the best I've found to work on several caliper sizes is Girodisc PST-01. Fairly large to carry around but allows me to easily change the pads between track sessions (AP calipers).
Old 04-13-2024, 06:03 AM
cars
Instructor

with 9668 calipers, the essex fits in but didn't compress both sides all the way in. inside was all the way in, outside pistons wasn't as tool seems to be deflecting because so much force to push it back. maybe I did it wrong. I didn't slide new pads in just playing with it and see brake pad wear

notice outside pistons not fully pushed in

Last edited by cars; 04-13-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:29 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a similar issue, and had to work with old pads and use them as leverage to finally push them all the way in. Well I didn't have the tool back then, so we'll see if the tool helps. I presume you did unscrew the brake reservoir cap to reduce resistance of pistons?

On a side note, I can totally see that your outside pads are also wearing much faster than inside pads...
Old 04-13-2024, 03:41 PM
cars
Instructor

actually I didn't open brake reservoir as I was just trying the tool and not putting in new pads. I guess outside always wear faster? I switched it but passenger side looks more even but still faster outside

Originally Posted by X25
I had a similar issue, and had to work with old pads and use them as leverage to finally push them all the way in. Well I didn't have the tool back then, so we'll see if the tool helps. I presume you did unscrew the brake reservoir cap to reduce resistance of pistons?

On a side note, I can totally see that your outside pads are also wearing much faster than inside pads...
Old 04-14-2024, 01:54 AM
Ksteckba
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

So you guys like more boosted brakes? Interesting, as I always wish I could turn the boost down in every street car. GT porsches are the closest to being low enough boost that I’ve felt in a street car.

Then there is the overly aggressive bite on some popular pads, and even oems…the bite of the oem pads on the G82 M4 comp are the worst oem pads I’ve felt. Way too much initial bite. I don’t understand who is choosing some of these braking parameters. We can just press the pedal harder, and get more brake force resolution and smoother modulation.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:46 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

The low boost that comes with CCB booster brakes makes the pedal feel spongy, at least it did so when I swapped with J56 brakes on my C7 Z07. This is beyond just soft/hard pad, and personally felt more like a mismatch of brake pressure for the calipers. I bet you'd not like it, either, but I digress : )

Last edited by X25; 04-14-2024 at 04:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ksteckba (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 10:21 AM
Ksteckba
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
The low boost that comes with CCB booster brakes makes the pedal feel spongy, at least it did so when I swapped with J56 brakes on my C7 Z07. This is beyond just soft/hard pad, and personally felt more like a mismatch of brake pressure for the calipers. I bet you'd not like it, either, but I digress : )
Yea, spongy isn’t nice, so I can get on board with that.

I just wish they had given us a bit more range of pedal adjustment on the C8. It is already adjustable after all.

Old 04-14-2024, 12:56 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ksteckba
Yea, spongy isn’t nice, so I can get on board with that.

I just wish they had given us a bit more range of pedal adjustment on the C8. It is already adjustable after all.
Another thing I realized is lack of feedback when ABS is engaged. One time, I overdid braking into a corner, and I hit ICE mode or something similar. Normally, you'd get vibrations from the pedal, and know that ABS is pumping the brakes, so you'd consider lifting and re-engaging brakes. In this case, I had zero feedback, yet I was not decelerating nearly as fast.

Alas, looks like the brake pedal is 'hiding' issues, and now I wonder how it feels when it starts fading. I hope I never find out...
Ksteckba (04-14-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:52 AM
Brettsss
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

great read and build up . I ran area 27 in a Camaro build of mine, love it but only track that has given me cooling issues it was 40c out lol
Old 04-15-2024, 01:21 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brettsss
great read and build up . I ran area 27 in a Camaro build of mine, love it but only track that has given me cooling issues it was 40c out lol
Thanks!!!

Indeed, my C7 Z06 could start overheating after one lap before I improved its cooling : ))

.. and here, after improvements:

... finally, here's the stress-test at 103 degrees F:

Last edited by X25; 04-15-2024 at 01:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '23 C8 Z51 Track Build

Old 04-15-2024, 05:29 PM
Brettsss
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice the car ran and breathed in good last vid! esp over 100mph lol
Old 04-15-2024, 11:35 PM
cars
Instructor

I never hit ice mode but also never ran hoosiers. yesterday ran hoosiers with new full ap kit and hit ice mode in z06. didn't know about that so I bled the brakes, same thing lol.

what is the work around on ice mode bedsides do threshold braking? I never experienced on any tires except hoosiers. never experienced it in goodyear 3r or cup 2r.

Originally Posted by X25
Another thing I realized is lack of feedback when ABS is engaged. One time, I overdid braking into a corner, and I hit ICE mode or something similar. Normally, you'd get vibrations from the pedal, and know that ABS is pumping the brakes, so you'd consider lifting and re-engaging brakes. In this case, I had zero feedback, yet I was not decelerating nearly as fast.

Alas, looks like the brake pedal is 'hiding' issues, and now I wonder how it feels when it starts fading. I hope I never find out...
Old 04-16-2024, 02:43 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

There's no easy way out, short of getting on the pedal slower to allow ABS to not get confused. When it happens, lifting and reapplying brakes would fix it, but good luck doing that : )
CAINCA (04-19-2024)

Quick Reply: '23 C8 Z51 Track Build