C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

C8 Ported Intake Manifolds, Best Outcomes/issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 03:24 PM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts
Default C8 Ported Intake Manifolds, Best Outcomes/issues?

Hello everyone, I have been searching for information as to what company is producing these and run across one...Lethal Racing. Are there any other companies offering the manifolds with great results? Please chime in if you have some recommendations and share your experience ie any codes after installation ...etc. This appears to be a worthwhile investment for the C8 platform.

thank you in advance!!
Old 03-23-2023, 04:16 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 601 Likes on 455 Posts

Well I had my intake manifold done local in Tampa Florida by an experienced porter who also does supercharger porting. An experienced shop in your area shouldn't be a problem. They pretty much know what they are doing. If they don't have the experience then run. To make another point, I wouldn’t just get the ported intake alone....I honestly believe it's not that much there or just nothing. I would at least add a ported throttle body particularly from Soler Performance or Katech just to complement the manifold. I am not sure about the aftermarket filter. But having said that my combo definitely made a difference on the drag strip. Now I am contemplating on which Cold Air Intake to get......AFE and Halltech are tops on my list.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:41 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,351 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Fore58
Well I had my intake manifold done local in Tampa Florida by an experienced porter who also does supercharger porting. An experienced shop in your area shouldn't be a problem. They pretty much know what they are doing. If they don't have the experience then run. To make another point, I wouldn’t just get the ported intake alone....I honestly believe it's not that much there or just nothing. I would at least add a ported throttle body particularly from Soler Performance or Katech just to complement the manifold. I am not sure about the aftermarket filter. But having said that my combo definitely made a difference on the drag strip. Now I am contemplating on which Cold Air Intake to get......AFE and Halltech are tops on my list.
What was the difference at the drag strip?
Old 03-23-2023, 06:27 PM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

I would prefer to have the intake ported by a company/individual with proven results as to avoid any trips to the dealer for computer issues.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:29 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

As you can .see the different dates much cooler air in December in stock form than is was in March with the mods I am speaking of. I actually can feel it pulling better in almost every shift especially 2nd and 3rd.
. Good air like in December the car would probably drop in the 11.10s. Other stock C8s that day were running 11.60s for comparuson. Except for my friend....10.80s. If you want to feel the (seat of the pants) with this particular mod ....don't bother.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:46 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

As you can .see the different dates much cooler air in December in stock form than is was in March with the mods I am speaking of. I actually can feel it pulling better in almost every shift especially 2nd and 3rd.
. Good air like in December the car would probably drop in the 11.10s. Other stock C8s that day were running 11.60s for comparuson. Except for my friend....10.80s. If you want to feel the (seat of the pants) with this particular mod ....don't bother.
There's no dates on those slips. Just one set of basically identical slips. Are these the stock or modded ones and what da?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2023, 09:10 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Oops I sent the wrong ones.
..that's the modded. Seriously I just had my eye examination today with those drops. Let me send the other ones for comparison.
The following users liked this post:
bhvrdr (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 09:17 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Okay....sorry about that sir. Here you go

Old 03-23-2023, 09:32 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Okay....sorry about that sir. Here you go
If this was Bradenton then:

Stock runs: +1089 feet.
Modded runs: +832 feet
Conditions were slightly more favorable during the modded run day which accounts for the .09 hundredths of a difference alone.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:01 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
If this was Bradenton then:

Stock runs: +1089 feet.
Modded runs: +832 feet
Conditions were slightly more favorable during the modded run day which accounts for the .09 hundredths of a difference alone.
On paper it may look that way but it wasn't. And the number regarding the DA that you are presenting really don't make a difference. You have to account for the humidity and other factors. And that was my first time at track where I was sweating inside my car in the staging lanes. On top of that my wife said it was warmer than December. The air can be quite tricky down here in Florida. So if you are trying to say that the weather played the factor instead of the mods so be it.....
no problem. I have over 15 runs at the track...don't you think I should know this car by now. It's not always the weather with these cars....they can become very finicky and you won't know what the heck is going on. And if March 16th was favorable, then I begin to wonder why the other c8s were only going 11.60s which are much quicker than that.....their trap speed didn't go over 118 for what I observed and I spoke to one of the guys as I told him that my car was modded. So having said all of this nonsense and you personally believe that mods didn't do anything and weather was favorable instead, that fine. I really didn't expect much from.the mods but I got what I wanted. I would do the same mods in a heart beat.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:07 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Okay......on November 17th the DA was 243. And as you can see on the time slip the trap speed was at its highest for my HTC. The problem here was that the car wouldn't pull on the bottom end on multiple runs which was frustrating. And no it wasn't spinning. I had a total of 5 runs with the same results. This was the coldest time out with my car bonestock with all seasons.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:34 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

On paper it may look that way but it wasn't. And the number regarding the DA that you are presenting really don't make a difference. You have to account for the humidity and other factors. And that was my first time at track where I was sweating inside my car in the staging lanes. On top of that my wife said it was warmer than December. The air can be quite tricky down here in Florida. So if you are trying to say that the weather played the factor instead of the mods so be it.....
no problem. I have over 15 runs at the track...don't you think I should know this car by now. It's not always the weather with these cars....they can become very finicky and you won't know what the heck is going on. And if March 16th was favorable, then I begin to wonder why the other c8s were only going 11.60s which are much quicker than that.....their trap speed didn't go over 118 for what I observed and I spoke to one of the guys as I told him that my car was modded. So having said all of this nonsense and you personally believe that mods didn't do anything and weather was favorable instead, that fine. I really didn't expect much from.the mods but I got what I wanted. I would do the same mods in a heart beat.
That's what density altitude is. It accounts for humidity, temperature and pressure. It is what it is. Your car performed basically identically stock and modded.

I'm in Florida and have 25 years on Florida tracks I get it. That's why I checked density altitude because sometimes it can be better insrch than in December in Florida just like it was that day because it was later at night a bit.

But DA and numbers never lie. Butts and dynos do. That's why I validate on the road/track.

Our numbers don't lie brother

Here's mine

Yours...

Same results pretty much

Last edited by bhvrdr; 03-24-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:46 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Okay......on November 17th the DA was 243. And as you can see on the time slip the trap speed was at its highest for my HTC. The problem here was that the car wouldn't pull on the bottom end on multiple runs which was frustrating. And no it wasn't spinning. I had a total of 5 runs with the same results. This was the coldest time out with my car bonestock with all seasons.

Yes of course. Here is my 100 percent stock car in perfect Florida air...

Old 03-24-2023, 08:16 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Guys, thanks for the lesson on DA and sharing the slips on modded vs stock cars at the strip! However, I would like more info. on companies and/or individuals who produce a great ported intake manifold and if there are any known issues with porting the intake manifold. Again, thanks for the feedback provided thus far!
The following 2 users liked this post by 01Defense:
Movie Muscle (12-21-2023), Ricketts (11-21-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 08:20 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 01Defense
Guys, thanks for the lesson on DA and sharing the slips on modded vs stock cars at the strip! However, I would like more info. on companies and/or individuals who produce a great ported intake manifold and if there are any known issues with porting the intake manifold. Again, thanks for the feedback provided thus far!
Socal porting ports them well but as you can see it makes little difference. No issues at all with mine and Soler 91 tb and 95 tb. Zero stumbling or codes.

Last edited by bhvrdr; 03-24-2023 at 09:50 AM.
langhorne_bill (03-25-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 09:40 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Wilson Manifold of Ft Lauderdale Florida but they are expensive.

These shops are more like cleaning the ports as opposed to porting which is very slight. Porting too much would be a heat concern. So these guys are very careful. $300 is the going rate with your intake. I opted to buy an OEM one from Summit Racing so there wouldn't be any down time for $213
I still have my stock manifold and I would sell it for $100 and that would save you $100 and still keep yours.

Last edited by Fore58; 03-24-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:25 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,740 Likes on 2,933 Posts

SoCal Porting here too; he does clean work, did a LT1 intake manifold for me too. Pairs nicely and easily installs with a ported throttle body (I personally am running Soler's 91mm eff. as I did on my C7 too). None of these mods alone are game changing additions, but does improve overall efficiency as you combine them with other higher-flowing cold side components. I personally bought brand new cores from RockAuto and sent them to the respective porters to avoid core charges or downtime. I've had these parts installed for about 1.5 years/10k miles without fault or issue; zero codes.

SoCal Porting: https://socalporting.com/our-service...ifold-porting/
Soler Performance: https://www.solerengineering.com/gen...ors/se8223-040

Last edited by Kracka; 03-24-2023 at 10:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Ported Intake Manifolds, Best Outcomes/issues?

Old 03-24-2023, 10:28 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kracka
SoCal Porting here too; he does clean work, did a LT1 intake manifold for me too.
https://socalporting.com/our-service...ifold-porting/
Pairs nicely and easily installs with a ported throttle body (I personally am running Soler's 91mm eff. as I did on my C7 too). None of these mods alone are game changing additions, but does improve overall efficiency as you combine them with other higher-flowing cold side components. I personally bought brand new cores from RockAuto and sent them to the respective porters to avoid core charges or downtime. I've had these parts installed for about 1.5 years/10k miles without fault or issue; zero codes.

Well said Kracka.
Kracka (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:01 PM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kracka
SoCal Porting here too; he does clean work, did a LT1 intake manifold for me too. Pairs nicely and easily installs with a ported throttle body (I personally am running Soler's 91mm eff. as I did on my C7 too). None of these mods alone are game changing additions, but does improve overall efficiency as you combine them with other higher-flowing cold side components. I personally bought brand new cores from RockAuto and sent them to the respective porters to avoid core charges or downtime. I've had these parts installed for about 1.5 years/10k miles without fault or issue; zero codes.

SoCal Porting: https://socalporting.com/our-service...ifold-porting/
Soler Performance: https://www.solerengineering.com/gen...ors/se8223-040
Appreciate the leads and have reached out to get moving on the manifold porting.
Thank you!
Kracka (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:02 PM
Snowblind2.0
Instructor

Received 305 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Defense
I would prefer to have the intake ported by a company/individual with proven results as to avoid any trips to the dealer for computer issues.
I don't recall seeing anyone have an issue with a ported manifold and computer issues. The only real issue you would get would be a vacuum leak, and that would be an install problem (folded gasket) and not a porting one. Their are dozens of shops that port these and it's not rocket science..heck I'm a nobody and I ported mine with some YouTube tutorials. The throttle body is where you may run into complications, you can grind too much in the wrong spot and have idle problems. That is few and far between also, and mainly applies to porting the 95. I would refer to more reputable shops for that work.

​​​​​​ Unless you are looking for max effort port work, and you already have all the supporting mods, don't overthink it.
The Camaro guys are using the LT2 mani also and I have seen used ones on their sites for sale.

As far as track results on the other comments, unless you are data logging the car and can see IATs (which control timing) you don't have a full picture to compare to. DA may be equal on different days but if they car has 90 intake air temp one day (heat soak) and 60 another time in the staging lane, it will possibly reflect in e.t. also.
langhorne_bill (03-24-2023)

Quick Reply: C8 Ported Intake Manifolds, Best Outcomes/issues?