C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

Questions on First Service and Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 04:19 PM
dfarese
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Questions on First Service and Maintenance

I have about 500 miles on the C8 now and have some questions about first service and maintenance. Reading the manual seems a little confusing. It says first service is to be 7,500mi for transmission. The dealer I bought the car from said to service the transmission at 1,000mi. Also some people on here seem to get oil service done at 500mi instead of 7,500mi, should I be doing this? I want to service the car to keep it well maintained. I have to find a dealer near me that can service the car, I once found a check list on these forums of items to be serviced so I can double check they have been done. Now I cannot find it anymore.

Questions
1) Do I service the vehicle transmission at 1,000mi compared to the 7,500mi like I see in the manual?
2) Do I service oil at the same 7,500mi or is it better to do it sooner?
3) Where is the checklist on the forum where I can see what needs to be serviced so I can make sure those items where services?
4) Am I missing anything else I should know about services and Maintenance?
Old 11-03-2022, 12:50 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,557 Likes on 850 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You will get differing opinions on this forum about changing oil and transmission filter early. I don't think it's necessary myself. Here are the required services.

Change the oil & filter at 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Basically, change the oil & filter when the oil life monitor tells you to. You can look at it periodically to see how it is winding down.

Change the transmission and have the GM required flush performed by 7500 miles.

If possible, have the oil & filter changed at the same time as the transmission filter and use your one free service to pay for it. If your first is at one year with low mileage pay for that one out of pocket and save the free one for the (expensive) transmission filter change.

As I said, others here will give you reasons why they think you should do one or both earlier. You have to decide for yourself, but what I suggest here will meet the warranty requirements. Also, keep in mind that if you change the transmission filter a lot earlier then you will still need to change it again by 7500 miles. Also if you use your one free service for just an oil change - as some dealers will try to convince you that you need to do - then you will be paying out of pocket later when you change the transmission filter. GM has extended the free service to be used any time within the first 24 months

Ask any questions for clarification of the above, and read all the other recommendation that follow, then decide what you want to do. Just don't wait beyond the limits I stated above.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (11-05-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 07:44 AM
Z51CYA
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Read the manual. 7500 is first free service. Oil and Oil filter and Transmission Filter. Call Corvette Concierge and ask for dealer near you that has sent a technician in fir training they have a list. Too many dealers are clueless with this car including putting wrong kind of oil in as well as wrong amount. The only Oil certified is Mobil 1 Supercar which they changed the name to so dealers stop using the wrong one
Old 11-03-2022, 02:51 PM
dfarese
Pro

Thank you guys for the information, this really helps. I have already read the manual and as far as I can see it says oil and transmission at 7,500mi or before. I asked my dealer I bought the car from again, and he said and I quote, "It NEEDS SERVICED! Do the first one about 1,000 Miles! They take the brake in fluid out." This is why I'm getting confused since it's not what the manual says.

Also I connected to MyChevrolet online and cannot find this Corvette Concierge or a number for them, they just have a chat window that's just automated responses. Can you point me in the right direction of contacting Corvette Concierge.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:21 AM
Z51CYA
Instructor

Default Here's their phone number

Old 11-04-2022, 11:04 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Originally Posted by dfarese
Thank you guys for the information, this really helps. I have already read the manual and as far as I can see it says oil and transmission at 7,500mi or before. I asked my dealer I bought the car from again, and he said and I quote, "It NEEDS SERVICED! Do the first one about 1,000 Miles! They take the brake in fluid out." This is why I'm getting confused since it's not what the manual says.

Also I connected to MyChevrolet online and cannot find this Corvette Concierge or a number for them, they just have a chat window that's just automated responses. Can you point me in the right direction of contacting Corvette Concierge.
What a bunch of crap! There has not been break-in engine oil or transmission fluid for over 30 years! Same stuff goes in at Bowling Green as your dealer wants to charge you to put in! And the GM required oil is $10 quart and needs 8 quarts!

Just follow the Owner's Manual. The C8, like the C7, like the C6 has a very sophisticated OLM. It will tell you when to change oil based on may factors NOT miles. It will say change at about 5000 to 7000 miles depending on how you drive OR like the 1st of my 6 Vettes said (a 1988) OR 12 months whichever occurs first! BUT unlike my C6 where like many folks don't read the owner's manual IT DID NOT KEEP TRACK OF TIME. YOU HAD TO!

The C7 changed that and now the C8 keeps track of time so you will get a dash warning that you have 5% engine oil life left! It is a message you can't miss as you have to press the OK button to dismiss every time you start!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-04-2022 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:51 PM
dfarese
Pro

Thanks guys for the Corvette Concierge number and more info. I called and they are going to look around for dealerships with certified C8 corvette mechanics and also told me to stick to the manual for maintenance.

@jerryU,
Thanks for your input. The dealer I purchased from is talking about the break in transmission fluid that you flush to get the metal particulates out. It seems that some do it sooner, which I will if it's better for the engine, but the manual says to just do it before 7,500 mi. The dealer I bought the car from is saying I have to do it at 1,000 mi or there can be issues, I don't think he knows what he's talking about though. I know back with my other 3 corvettes I use to have to get serviced at 500 mi break in, I guess that's not a thing anymore?
Old 11-07-2022, 01:47 PM
mooseandsquirrel
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, no break in oil but the original oil might have engine sand and shavings from manufacture. Also it gives you a chance to drain out the Mobil 1 and put in a better oil. Amzoil, Penzoil Ultra Platinum Euro or Motul.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:25 PM
Z51CYA
Instructor

Originally Posted by mooseandsquirrel
Agree, no break in oil but the original oil might have engine sand and shavings from manufacture. Also it gives you a chance to drain out the Mobil 1 and put in a better oil. Amzoil, Penzoil Ultra Platinum Euro or Motul.
yes hve Natasha put in uncertified oil when GM had Mobil 1 design an oil specifically for this car then void youf warranty your a moise and squirrel genius
Old 11-07-2022, 07:06 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by mooseandsquirrel
Amsoil, Pennzoil and motul do not make an approved oil for the c8 Corvette
Andybump (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 06:52 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Amsoil, Pennzoil and motul do not make an approved oil for the c8 Corvette
Related to that. While Amsoil does not submit most of their engine oil products for official certification, they will claim that their oils meet or exceed said certification and recommend a product for use where that certification is required. A forum discussion about the dexosR specification prompted me to do a little research on that requirement. I sent Amsoil an email about the dexosR specification, and they responded that they do not have a product that meets that requirement. I would not use it in my C8 regardless, I was just curious.

JerryU (11-08-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 10:58 PM
Bikerjj
Heel & Toe

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 23 SR trans.

Filter change prior to 7500 miles, fluid change at 22,500 if oil life indicates 10% or less. In the manual.

Last edited by Bikerjj; 11-23-2022 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Spelling and additional information
Old 11-23-2022, 07:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

Originally Posted by dfarese
@jerryU,
Thanks for your input. The dealer I purchased from is talking about the break in transmission fluid that you flush to get the metal particulates out. It seems that some do it sooner, which I will if it's better for the engine, but the manual says to just do it before 7,500 mi. The dealer I bought the car from is saying I have to do it at 1,000 mi or there can be issues, I don't think he knows what he's talking about though. I know back with my other 3 corvettes I use to have to get serviced at 500 mi break in, I guess that's not a thing anymore?
Could be old time mechanic OR more probably dealer looking to make more money! Unlike my prior 5 Vettes before the C8 did not trust the large Chevy/BMW/Mercedes dealer in town to change the oil. For Chevy's etc (not BMW's or Mercedes who have their own mechanics) they have an oil change bay. Usually staffed by some newbie mechanic who may have been flipping burgers the month before!

Did not trust them to lift properly, drain the two plugs on my 2014 Z51 or 2017 Grand Sport, use the proper oil (instead of taking the easy way and pumping from whatever the boss had in 55-gallon drums that met GM's dexos requirement rather than lug 8 quarts of Mobil 1 back from the parts department. The 55 gallon drums could even have been a blend that meets GM dexos spec and not a full synthetic. The Owner's Manual actually said that was acceptable BUT not preferred for those year Vettes. Good chance he'd overfill as would not take the time to get the oil to 175 and check the dipstick as required.

Thankfully for the C8 found a great Corvette Tech at a small dealer 30 miles from home who does it exactly as I would "By The Book." Watched as he took the time to get the oil to 175F before checking twice! BUT the key was also at my 1st change with ~3000 miles at 12 months when the OLM said 5% life left I had him change the DCT filter as well. He performed a flush as is required by GM prior to a filter change. That is done by the GM Service Computer. We both watched his PC screen as the GM computer connected via WiFi to my OBD port performed the flush. The DCT does have clutch plate debris formed during break-in. Also GM has admitted Tremec had issues with parts not being properly cleaned. A number of folks with DCT CELS had the dealer perform a flush per GM's recordation and cleared the issue. Lots of internal passages in shafts, valve bodies etc. My 1st engine DCT filter change all on GM's dime. Year 3 when all 11 quarts of DCT required to be changed I'll have the DCT filter changed again. I'll pay for that one!

SIDEBAR:
Yep, I'm an old timer. Bought a '50 Olds engine for my 1st car a '41 ford coupe when I was 16 in 1959 from a buddy all in parts for $10. Had it bored 1/8" for '56 pistons, crank machined etc. Changed that oil at 500 miles as it was the "thing to do!" My 1st new car was in 1967 and changed oil early again that was the "thing to do" for any sand in cast iron parts that were made with sand castings and the cylinder wall surfaces could possibly cause extra break-in debris. Did the same for my 5 Vettes prior to my C8. Fact is, knew it was an overkill for sure for my two C7s. All the Vette engines have been made in Tonawanda where GM has put billions in the facility making very tight tolerance machined surfaces. Cylinder honing has become a science and they achieve a different quality surface finish for long life than say a ProStock race engine designed for max power with no concern for long life. C8 pistons, rings and other parts are all coated. The aluminum block is steel sleeved. No sand from castings needing to be removed. I knew that for my last Vette, a 2017 Grand Sport but changed the engine oil (myself) only because GM had a problem with curing silicone seals and said in a bulletin, "change oil at 500 miles to eliminate the possibility of foam. Used the same oil you buy that the factory uses. Has not been "break-in oil" for many years.

For the C8, mostly for the DCT need to find a quality Corvette Tech. I fortunately did.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-23-2022 at 07:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on First Service and Maintenance

Quick Reply: Questions on First Service and Maintenance