C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

GM Accessories - Cat-Back Dual-Mode Exhaust Upgrade by Borla - is it still avail?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 10:12 AM
JoeB3
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 153 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default GM Accessories - Cat-Back Dual-Mode Exhaust Upgrade by Borla - is it still avail?

i've had the cat back exhaust part number: 19433058 on (back) order from the official accessories.chevrolet.com GM accessories site for almost 2 months now. out of the blue i checked on it last week and the status was informed via the chat services that it was still on 'backorder'. interestingly, i did happen to notice that it had a diff part number last week. fast forward to today and i thought i'd check to see if i had a chance of getting a diff tip (such as chrome or carbon fibre) sooner (my order is for the black tip). when i go to the GM accessories site now, there is no indication that any of them exist at all. it's like the product is no longer offered. it used to be under the 'Performance' section.

i did a quick search to see if i could find anything on it. nothing. anyone with insight?

i realize Borla reps frequent this forum, and especially the performance threads... is this still an accessory being made in partnership for Chevy?

Last edited by JoeB3; 08-29-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:27 PM
Blindfingers
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I just Googled the part number you listed and I had a bunch of hits. Give that a try or are you trying to use your Chevy points to knock the price lower?
Good luck!
Old 08-30-2022, 09:29 PM
JoeB3
Racer

Originally Posted by Blindfingers
I just Googled the part number you listed and I had a bunch of hits. Give that a try or are you trying to use your Chevy points to knock the price lower?
Good luck!
Thanks. Called the dealer i had selected for the installation and they said the exhaust kit I ordered is now discontinued. Makes since as I noticed last week it had a diff/new part number. When I gave them that newer part number it was showing available on their system but was not order-able or searchable on the Chevy accessories site.

The whole situation is getting strange. Meanwhile my order is sitting in limbo now for 2 months. What stinks - I saved almost a grand ordering it when I did. Chevy had the 20% off promo going on. Now, the new part number has gone up in price $150 and is not discounted as it was at the time I entered my order.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:15 AM
JimminMarvinluder
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 29 Posts

I know that Borla had to change the heat shielding on all their exhausts for 2022 MY. Could be why that part number says discontinued.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:45 AM
JoeB3
Racer

Originally Posted by JimminMarvinluder
I know that Borla had to change the heat shielding on all their exhausts for 2022 MY. Could be why that part number says discontinued.
interesting. wasn't aware of the heat shield mod, wonder if the initial design was flawed? i went by a dealership yesterday and learned the new part number is applicable to all model years, 20-23 (although shopchevyparts.com specifies otherwise, that it's "ONLY for 2023 Model Years" under the new part number: 19433782), and not available via the official chevy accessories site. it's still odd to me that it was a pretty big PR announcement when it became avail, then mysteriously went away on the chevy accessories site. the dealer couldn't make any sense of it either but they are still available for order and dropship from the vendor to the participating chevy accessories dealers. you just can't search for it anywhere apparently.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:47 AM
JoeB3
Racer

Update: the new part number is still available. It replaces the prior version and now fits all model years 20-23 whereas the first edition of the cat-back upgrade only worked on 20-21 model years. Although it is available via a dealership accessories counter and online resellers - it doesn’t not appear on the official Chevy accessories site any longer.

I ordered it at a local dealership. It’s drop-shipped directly from Borla to the dealership. Borla had 12 (of the version with black tips) available and it was delivered to my dealership within a quick 2 days.

I dropped my car off on a Tue for the exhaust install and my first oil change. Picked it up on Fri. I told them i was in no hurry and preferred for them to take their time to get it right as opposed to rushing to make it avail to me.

First impression - the exhaust note is definitely deeper. Not just louder. Not obnoxious by any means. In stealth mode - it’s tame. On sport and track it sounds more aggressive.

my only disappointment after day-1 came this morning after I went to look at it good in the daylight. I don’t know what they were thinking with the heat shield. Looking from the back of the car you can see the entire exhaust system through the back rear vents. I don’t recall seeing it that way before so I went to look at the factory exhaust they removed. The heat shield on it is a nice matte black. Almost stealth since I don’t recall seeing it before the upgrade. The heat shield on the GM-Borla cat-back is a burned amber color. Almost looks like the heat shield on one of the old-school space capsules. Don’t know know what’s up with that! I would have preferred it black like the original equipment.

Last edited by JoeB3; 09-17-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:05 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeB3
Update: the new part number is still available. It replaces the prior version and now fits all model years 20-23 whereas the first edition of the cat-back upgrade only worked on 20-21 model years. Although it is available via a dealership accessories counter and online resellers - it doesn’t not appear on the official Chevy accessories site any longer.

I ordered it at a local dealership. It’s drop-shipped directly from Borla to the dealership. Borla had 12 (of the version with black tips) available and it was delivered to my dealership within a quick 2 days.

I dropped my car off on a Tue for the exhaust install and my first oil change. Picked it up on Fri. I told them i was in no hurry and preferred for them to take their time to get it right as opposed to rushing to make it avail to me.

First impression - the exhaust note is definitely deeper. Not just louder. Not obnoxious by any means. In stealth mode - it’s tame. On sport and track it sounds more aggressive.

my only disappointment after day-1 came this morning after I went to look at it good in the daylight. I don’t know what they were thinking with the heat shield. Looking from the back of the car you can see the entire exhaust system through the back rear vents. I don’t recall seeing it that way before so I went to look at the factory exhaust they removed. The heat shield on it is a nice matte black. Almost stealth since I don’t recall seeing it before the upgrade. The heat shield on the GM-Borla cat-back is a burned amber color. Almost looks like the heat shield on one of the old-school space capsules. Don’t know know what’s up with that! I would have preferred it black like the original equipment.
I actually like it

Do you have the new part number?
​​​
Old 09-17-2022, 04:32 PM
JoeB3
Racer

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I actually like it

Do you have the new part number?
​​​
There are 3 diff upgraded official GM/Borla cat-back upgrade kits avail: carbon fiber tips (part num: 19433780), polished stainless tips (part num: 19433781), and black pvd coated tips (part num: 19433782).

After working through a local Chevy dealership I'm confident the black pvd tipped kit supports all model years (2020-2023). If you prefer a diff tip option I’d recommend you double check the model numbers I searched above with your Chevy accessory rep.

my install was $345. Very pleased - with my slight hesitation on the space capsule heat shield. Oh, and it also came with a black Borla baseball cap and a few Borla stickers.

Last edited by JoeB3; 09-17-2022 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bhvrdr (09-17-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 02:47 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,953 Posts

That ugly heat shield is the one major thing keeping me from ordering it. I wonder why they didn't use the black shielding found on the Type-S and ATAK? I like the OEM-style tips used on the GM/Borla system!
JoeB3 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 12:11 AM
lv89019c8
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Man, I feel for ya - bummed you that you didn't see some of the earlier posts on this.

I did pretty extensive searching on the forum here before ordering the Borla GM exhaust and the one thing initially holding me back was the ugly color heat shield. Someone posted a few pics of theirs and I just couldn't get over how bad it looked in silver.

Well turns out, Ian from Borla got back to me super quick about switching out the heat shield with a black one. I think it was like 80 bucks with shipping.

It might cost you a little more now in labor to get it installed, but I'm sure you can reach out to Borla and buy the heat shield in black, and take it to your dealership to swap out the ugly one.
JoeB3 (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 12:15 AM
lv89019c8
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
That ugly heat shield is the one major thing keeping me from ordering it. I wonder why they didn't use the black shielding found on the Type-S and ATAK? I like the OEM-style tips used on the GM/Borla system!
Posted another comment on this, but wanted to make sure you saw it too.

You can actually order a black heat shield direct from Borla for like 80 bucks. The exhaust was shipped to the dealership, and Borla shipped the black heat shield directly to me - I just took it to the dealer when I brought in my car and they installed the black one instead of the ugly silver one.
Kracka (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 07:44 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lv89019c8
Posted another comment on this, but wanted to make sure you saw it too.

You can actually order a black heat shield direct from Borla for like 80 bucks. The exhaust was shipped to the dealership, and Borla shipped the black heat shield directly to me - I just took it to the dealer when I brought in my car and they installed the black one instead of the ugly silver one.
Great to know, thank you!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kracka:
JoeB3 (09-25-2022), lv89019c8 (09-25-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 09:57 AM
JBsZ06
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

JoeB3: I just got a new black 2023 C8 Stingray coupe with the Z51/magnetic ride control, and I'm thinking the exhaust you got would be nice upgrade. Are you satisfied with the sound? Is it about the same sound as the Borla Type S exhaust? Our cars are pretty tame sounding in my opinion right out of the box. I'd get the Borla Type S or maybe Atak version, but I want to get the GM-speced Borla piece like yours, so that I don't have any warranty questions now or later. May I presume that after proper installation and the "relearning" process you have not had any CEL issue or other problems? Sorry to be so full of questions, but don't want to drop $5k on a piece and not have it be right for me! :-)
Old 11-20-2022, 12:41 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,557 Likes on 850 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The GM approved Borla exhaust is much closer in sound to the NPP performance exhaust than the Borla S-Type exhaust. I don't have the data at my fingertips but if you search for Borla exhaust in the general C8 forum you will find a thread that lists decibel values posted by Borla for the NPP and all three Borla exhausts. A SAE standard test was used.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarkMeHopeful:
bhvrdr (11-20-2022), langhorne_bill (11-20-2022)
Old 01-07-2023, 03:44 PM
JoeB3
Racer

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
JoeB3: I just got a new black 2023 C8 Stingray coupe with the Z51/magnetic ride control, and I'm thinking the exhaust you got would be nice upgrade. Are you satisfied with the sound? Is it about the same sound as the Borla Type S exhaust? Our cars are pretty tame sounding in my opinion right out of the box. I'd get the Borla Type S or maybe Atak version, but I want to get the GM-speced Borla piece like yours, so that I don't have any warranty questions now or later. May I presume that after proper installation and the "relearning" process you have not had any CEL issue or other problems? Sorry to be so full of questions, but don't want to drop $5k on a piece and not have it be right for me! :-)
a few months in now and the sound is perfect. So much so that a buddy of mine with a C8 loved it so much he got it for his this month. My only gripe is the color of the heat shield. The sound though is amazing. Better than stock Z51, yet not obnoxious. No CELs, very pleased!
Kracka (01-08-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 03:48 PM
JoeB3
Racer

Man, I feel for ya - bummed you that you didn't see some of the earlier posts on this.

I did pretty extensive searching on the forum here before ordering the Borla GM exhaust and the one thing initially holding me back was the ugly color heat shield. Someone posted a few pics of theirs and I just couldn't get over how bad it looked in silver.

Well turns out, Ian from Borla got back to me super quick about switching out the heat shield with a black one. I think it was like 80 bucks with shipping.

It might cost you a little more now in labor to get it installed, but I'm sure you can reach out to Borla and buy the heat shield in black, and take it to your dealership to swap out the ugly one.
wonder if a solution is as simple as spraying some black-matte high heat grill paint on the silver heat shield?
Old 01-07-2023, 03:55 PM
JoeB3
Racer

Would the exhaust have to be removed to swap out the silver one for a black one?

Get notified of new replies

To GM Accessories - Cat-Back Dual-Mode Exhaust Upgrade by Borla - is it still avail?

Old 01-08-2023, 02:41 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

a few months in now and the sound is perfect. So much so that a buddy of mine with a C8 loved it so much he got it for his this month. My only gripe is the color of the heat shield. The sound though is amazing. Better than stock Z51, yet not obnoxious. No CELs, very pleased!
Thanks for the update! This thing is on my wishlist for sure; maybe I'll have it done at the same time as my next DCT filter change.
JoeB3 (01-08-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 09:57 AM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

wonder if a solution is as simple as spraying some black-matte high heat grill paint on the silver heat shield?
I did this on my C7 zo6 exhaust tips and 2 years later still looks great.
JoeB3 (01-09-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 03:43 PM
Sbrennan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6ME
I did this on my C7 zo6 exhaust tips and 2 years later still looks great.
I was searching for this exact answer so if someone does spray paint one please let me know. It doesn't seem to get too hot back there (although I'd use high temp paint anyhow). Before folks ask why I didn't get a black one from Borla (aka yell at me haha) I thought I'd like the way the "burnt" color looked.. Now that I see it, I don't like the look.. personal preference I guess.

Quick Reply: GM Accessories - Cat-Back Dual-Mode Exhaust Upgrade by Borla - is it still avail?