C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

2m fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 10:43 AM
sparro
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenny
I've driven it probably 100-150 miles since I added the spacers and no issues yet. Still frustrated I had to install them with the cats...but that's life. I question if there was a bad batch of cats or if they started using cheaper ones after the first batch came out.

Yesterday while waiting for something (10+ other cars were also waiting) I was asked to turn my car off as the exhaust was too much for the people standing around... I feel that it's not filtering as good... I guess the fact the CEL came on confirms that... but now it seems others can tell just by the smell too.
I was able to go out on Friday, (weather turned nice and I activated my insurance) after about an hour my CEL came on. I scanned it and I have P0420 & P0430 codes. I cleared them with my OBDII scanner and parked it for the night. Then yesterday I went out again for a couple of hours and about 10 minutes into drive the CEL came on again. Scanned, same codes, cleared and proceeded to drive and yup, came on again. This morning my buddy who has (headers & cats) got the code too. I purchased the same spacers you got and will install them when they arrive next week. It's not a surprise they are smelling some exhaust cause the 200 CEL are a lot more free flowing. I can't smell it in the cabin while driving so I'm good.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:46 AM
Tenny
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sparro
I was able to go out on Friday, (weather turned nice and I activated my insurance) after about an hour my CEL came on. I scanned it and I have P0420 & P0430 codes. I cleared them with my OBDII scanner and parked it for the night. Then yesterday I went out again for a couple of hours and about 10 minutes into drive the CEL came on again. Scanned, same codes, cleared and proceeded to drive and yup, came on again. This morning my buddy who has (headers & cats) got the code too. I purchased the same spacers you got and will install them when they arrive next week. It's not a surprise they are smelling some exhaust cause the 200 CEL are a lot more free flowing. I can't smell it in the cabin while driving so I'm good.
That sucks! I was really hoping some of the earlier ones were better and it was something they'd fix soon for new orders. At least the spacers fix the issue and you are right, I don't notice the smell inside while driving.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:29 PM
MarioC8
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 248 Posts

Any more feedback from anyone else who has used 2M products? I plan on purchasing the 2M sport cats.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:52 PM
vettebyassociation
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by MarioC8
Any more feedback from anyone else who has used 2M products? I plan on purchasing the 2M sport cats.
I've been hoping for more info myself. Seems some people doubt the quality of the internal cat itself. Won't name names but easy enough to search for. One thing I've wanted to see me info on is heat control. I've read that the metal is coated so that it doesn't require any shielding but it seems the few people who did purchase them have wrapped them anyway. So I'm curious if it needs wraps or not. Also long term testing regarding CEL issues.
The following users liked this post:
cain_c8 (03-10-2023)
Old 06-17-2021, 03:03 PM
MarioC8
Pro

Originally Posted by vettebyassociation
I've been hoping for more info myself. Seems some people doubt the quality of the internal cat itself. Won't name names but easy enough to search for. One thing I've wanted to see me info on is heat control. I've read that the metal is coated so that it doesn't require any shielding but it seems the few people who did purchase them have wrapped them anyway. So I'm curious if it needs wraps or not. Also long term testing regarding CEL issues.
Spot on, same questions here.
cain_c8 (03-10-2023)
Old 06-18-2021, 01:29 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,562 Likes on 531 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I made a thread on mine. I have no heat issues and have over 1200 miles logged. Stop and go traffic in 90+ degrees with humidity. I have a HTC. I did wrap them for extra protection with titanium heat wrap. My car runs the same temps as stock.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:39 PM
MarioC8
Pro

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
I made a thread on mine. I have no heat issues and have over 1200 miles logged. Stop and go traffic in 90+ degrees with humidity. I have a HTC. I did wrap them for extra protection with titanium heat wrap. My car runs the same temps as stock.
Awesome. And we’re you able to bypass check engine lights using the supplied o2 spacer?
Old 06-18-2021, 11:55 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Awesome. And we’re you able to bypass check engine lights using the supplied o2 spacer?
Just installed some 2M cats about a week ago. Driven 600+ miles since (My daily to LA ) no CEL so far! I did wrap mine just as an extra heat protection method. Was only about $20-30 worth of stuff on Prime

Last edited by VetteofSD; 06-18-2021 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:46 PM
Dave01GT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I had factory manifolds/headers with 2M cat deletes with their o2 spacer. Had them on for 4500 miles and no CEL.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:16 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave01GT
I had factory manifolds/headers with 2M cat deletes with their o2 spacer. Had them on for 4500 miles and no CEL.
You were using the pipe only , not the 200 cel cats? Those o2 spacers are working exceptionally well.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:57 AM
MarioC8
Pro

About to purchase the 2M Sport Cats, any other feedback/input? It seems like the O2 spacers have done the trick for the CEL? and looks like no heating issues? Thanks!
cain_c8 (03-10-2023)
Old 08-07-2021, 12:05 PM
HeadTurner
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

About to purchase the 2M Sport Cats, any other feedback/input? It seems like the O2 spacers have done the trick for the CEL? and looks like no heating issues? Thanks!
You will not regret it, the cars sounds awesome especially the 3rd to 2nd burbling when down shifting! No heat issues with mine and I live in San Antonio Texas where it is 🥵. But if you are concerned I just found out that 2M is developing some heat blankets for their Cats👍🏼
Old 08-07-2021, 01:10 PM
MarioC8
Pro

Originally Posted by HeadTurner
You will not regret it, the cars sounds awesome especially the 3rd to 2nd burbling when down shifting! No heat issues with mine and I live in San Antonio Texas where it is 🥵. But if you are concerned I just found out that 2M is developing some heat blankets for their Cats👍🏼
That’s good to hear! I just ordered the Sport Cats, I’ll be first in line if they release heat blankets. Otherwise I’ll probably wrap them.

But at the same time it seems like the cats alone aren’t causing any heating issues.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:22 PM
A10Beav
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I’ve had them on for the summer and haven’t noticed any problems, and I wrapped them in the Corsa blankets. The blankets left about a 2 inch gap open, so I placed an insulated piece in there to keep as much heat out of the engine bay as possible. Not sure if they’re designed that way to allow the cats to lose some heat, so I may pull the extra pieces out later. No CELs.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:57 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

I'll leave my review here as well. I'm not finished installing my 2M cat deletes yet but here's what I have so far that may help some people wanting to buy these:

1.) When you order cat deletes without gaskets through 2M, be prepared to need to buy 2 gaskets yourself from GM. The stock cats have 4 gaskets total, 2 O-style gaskets that sit recessed in the manifold side of the cat, one donut style gasket on the driver's side cat on the cat back side, and one triangle gasket on the passenger's side on the cat back side. The 2M cat delete pipes do NOT have recesses in the pipes on the manifold side for the stock O-style gaskets to fit into. You will need to either buy 2M's triangle gaskets with your delete pipes which they charge an extra $70 for, or you can buy separately through a GM dealer for $24 (part number is 23194206 you'll need 2 - they are $12 each). These 2 triangle gaskets will go on the manifold side of the cat delete pipes. You will reuse the old donut gasket from the driver's side stock cat (pry it off with a flat head screwdriver and reapply to the driver's side cat delete pipe). You will also reuse the old triangle gasket off the stock passenger's side cat unless you want to buy a 3rd new gasket from GM mentioned above.

Also FYI - 2M provides absolutely 0 documentation, instructions or anything helpful to assist installing these. I had no idea which bolts/nuts went where (they send different length ones) so I basically had to guess. Some of them are easy to figure out but some of them you're like... why is this different and where does it go?

2.) When you order cat deletes by themselves, they charge $349.99. If you order the header + cat delete combo, it's $699. If you buy just the headers alone, it's $549.99. Essentially, this makes it a much more valuable deal to order the header/cat delete combo because at $699, that's essentially only charging you $150 for the cat deletes as opposed to paying $349.99 for them separately. I chose to just buy the cat deletes only anyway because it's much easier to remove just the cats in case I'd need warranty work completed vs cats and headers. The headers were dynod by someone above and were shown to not really gain much HP, and they don't really do much for sound compared to the difference that doing the cat delete or sport cats do by themselves, so the headers just aren't a good idea to me.

3.) The cat deletes come with o2 spacers shipped to attempt to prevent a CEL. The o2 spacers do not have catalysts and are not mini cats, so there's a bigger chance of a CEL coming on. I will be using their provided o2 spacers to see what happens and will report back after driving it awhile to see if a CEL comes on. If it does come on then I will be purchasing one of the 45 degree o2 spacers with catalyst off ebay that people have reported to for sure prevent a CEL. I think I saw someone on this thread who said he used the provided o2 spacers and did not get a CEL so hopefully new ones are not needed.

4.) The job itself is a royal pain in the *** and not because of 2M but because of GM engineering. There are several videos out there on how to remove the airbox/cats and they all make it look way easier than it is. I won't go into full detail but I'll give you some gotcha's that will help make the job easier.

- Removing the trunk liner is the easy part. There are 2 separate liners, a rear and a front. Only the front has to come out.

- There are 12 10mm bolts total that have to be removed to get the airbox out. 4 are on each side of the airbox that holds the little arms in (the arms slide out towards you once the bolts are out). 2 are on the front lower part of the airbox, and 2 on the lower rear side. The 2 on the lower rear side are a pain to get to. I would recommend removing the clips first. I spent a good hour trying to remove the orange clips (there are 4 I believe, 2 on the front and 2 on the sides) and could not get any of them out even with pry/trim tools. I decided to just cut them. Then there are about 3 other black clips on the back side of the airbox. All of these can be pulled out by hand with a good amount of force. Once you have these off there's enough room to move the wires out of the way to get to the two 10mm bolts on the back lower side of the airbox.

- There's a connector on the front lower right side of the airbox that has to come off. Slide the red tab out and then I have no idea how I got it off but I spent like 15 minutes screwing with it and just got lucky to push/pinch in the right random place to get it off finally. There's also a connector on the back side of the airbox that plugs into a port on the rear side of the piece that connects the throttle body to the airbox (forget what this is called). Disconnect that and losen the clamp (on the back side of this piece, not the front side). Only the airbox will come out, the middle piece will stay connected to the throttle body.

- Loosen the o2 sensors before you unbolt the stock cats. They are torqued on there very tight and the angles to get to them are tough but can be done. I've seen most people remove the o2 sensors and disconnect them but I would just remove them and leave them connected because I couldn't figure out how to disconnect them from the clip. If you forget to loosen them before taking the cat out it'll be much more difficult to get them off later.

- The bottom bolts on the passenger side cat are going to make you want to pull your hair out. Not only because GM torqued all these bolts on with the force of 1000 Hulk's, but also because it's almost impossible to get to them. For manifold side, We ended up having to take off all the heat shielding to fit a wrench on it straight enough to get enough torque to remove it. We couldn't do it by hand so we ended up fitting a cordless impact in there and got it out. The cat back side bottom bolt is not possible to get to from the top from what I could tell. You can fit your hand under the exhaust to fit a socket on but can't get a wrench on it from up top. We ended up having to jack the car up a little and go from underneath with a long extension to get to it.

- Once the cats are out it's smooth sailing from there. Just don't forget to put all your gaskets on (There will be 3 triangle gaskets - one on each cat on the manifold side, and one on the passenger cat on the cat back side -- and one donut gasket on the driver's side on the cat back side of the cat. Remember to take the donut gasket off the stock cat.

I personally will NOT be reinstalling the 2 two rear 10mm bolts on the airbox or ANY of the clips. There are no moving parts on this side of the engine and all the wires are heat shielded so I don't think there's any chance of them getting burnt somehow. Once I start putting it all back together I'll see if maybe I can zip tie them for extra security vs just leaving them unclipped. I'll also report back on whether or not I get a CEL with 2M's provided o2 spacers.

Last edited by DomLS3; 08-18-2021 at 05:46 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by DomLS3:
BRODIE (07-17-2023), DNAST1 (08-18-2021), itsonlyairandfuel (08-17-2021), The Great C8 (03-01-2023), Tim0shel (02-25-2022)
Old 08-27-2021, 09:30 PM
A10Beav
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by henrynguyen0221
Hi.
After you wrap the cat with blanket heat wrap when you drive the car was the cat get smoke?
If you just installed them and saw smoke, it was probably the ceramic paint curing on the cats.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:53 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by A10Beav
If you just installed them and saw smoke, it was probably the ceramic paint curing on the cats.
That or the blood and sweat burning off from the job... at least that's what it was from mine xD

Get notified of new replies

To 2m fabrication

Old 09-23-2021, 02:33 PM
Osman
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Will these headers work with stock cat converters ??? does anyone know?
Old 09-26-2021, 10:03 PM
fastrx7man
Instructor

Received 332 Likes on 87 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Lot of great information. About to purchase used or buy new...
Old 09-26-2021, 11:07 PM
MarioC8
Pro

I purchased the 2M sport cats. Car should hopefully be delivered this week.

But I’m taking a 3,000 mile road trip in November. So I probably won’t install until late Nov or December. Just in case there are early warranty claims, I don’t want to go through the hassle of explaining aftermarket cats to the dealership.

Quick Reply: 2m fabrication