C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

Flat plane crank V8 vs LT2 V8 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 09:56 AM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 714 Likes on 371 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Engine is still solidly connected to the wheels...not sure how you expect it to "spin up faster" other than increasing the amount of torque it produces along the whole curve...
Different engines rev quicker than others. Building quicker revs allows for different gearing etc. Power to the ground is drivetrain loss, and certainly different engines will build RPM faster than others even through the wheels.
The following users liked this post:
mattkilla2015 (11-30-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:04 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Honestly...it doesnt make a big difference. And once you pass 1st gear the difference gets smaller.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:11 AM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 714 Likes on 371 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Honestly...it doesnt make a big difference. And once you pass 1st gear the difference gets smaller.
Completely disagree - which is why so many engine builders and race teams spent countless hours and 100s of thousands of dollars or more into R&D to lighten engine internals.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:18 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

That is for a different reason than what everyone here is assuming. Look at the difference in acceleration a light vs heavy flywheel gives when under a load and it will start to make sense.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:10 AM
MAndretti
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no reason a flat plane crank V8 has to be unreliable. Heck, every 4 cylinder engine has a flat plane crank. Yes, a FPC V8 will vibrate more than a CPC V8, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't last.

I don't really understand why GM is doing a FPC V8 in the C8. I do believe that GM needs a better naturally aspirated engine, though. The pushrod engines are just too dead at higher RPM. In my opinion it's the worst thing about the Corvette - it needs a better engine. But GM can just use a dual overhead camshaft V8 like many others do in order to get better power delivery from a naturally aspirated engine. They don't need to go to a flat plane crank. IMO just the optics of it are annoying. Ford does a FPC, then 6 or so years later GM does one? And in their flagship product? Too much fodder for trolls there.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:39 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by MAndretti
There's no reason a flat plane crank V8 has to be unreliable. Heck, every 4 cylinder engine has a flat plane crank. Yes, a FPC V8 will vibrate more than a CPC V8, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't last.

I don't really understand why GM is doing a FPC V8 in the C8. I do believe that GM needs a better naturally aspirated engine, though. The pushrod engines are just too dead at higher RPM. In my opinion it's the worst thing about the Corvette - it needs a better engine. But GM can just use a dual overhead camshaft V8 like many others do in order to get better power delivery from a naturally aspirated engine. They don't need to go to a flat plane crank. IMO just the optics of it are annoying. Ford does a FPC, then 6 or so years later GM does one? And in their flagship product? Too much fodder for trolls there.
The V banks in V8s cause complex torque couples and pulsations that require < square bore and stroke ratios. The secondry shakes in a L4 is one thing. Let 2 of these engines be joined together at the hips in a V, and it will create a whole new set of problems.
Why do you want to rev an engine? Revving is to get more power out of small displacements at the cost of poor gas miliage and high opiston speeds. The worst thing is that it raises CG which upsets roll couples in your suspension design and costs $900 more to manufacture and weighs more. True, you can't protect the machine with an ******* performing botched manual shifts.

Last edited by Shaka; 11-29-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:33 PM
MAndretti
Cruising

Originally Posted by Shaka
The V banks in V8s cause complex torque couples and pulsations that require < square bore and stroke ratios. The secondry shakes in a L4 is one thing. Let 2 of these engines be joined together at the hips in a V, and it will create a whole new set of problems.
Why do you want to rev an engine? Revving is to get more power out of small displacements at the cost of poor gas miliage and high opiston speeds. The worst thing is that it raises CG which upsets roll couples in your suspension design and costs $900 more to manufacture and weighs more. True, you can't protect the machine with an ******* performing botched manual shifts.
Most of what you said is demonstrably untrue, but yes overhead cam engines do cost more to manufacture. I like to have a really great engine in my fun vehicle, though. IMO the engine is the last place to cheap out.

To me driving on the road course is a lot of fun. I think a higher winding NA engine is great on the road course because it continues to deliver reliable repeatable power lap after lap. I do like big cubes as well, though. High winding + big cubes together, even better.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:32 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Most of what you said is demonstrably untrue,
Oh brother. Here we have another one. Pray tell, enlighten us with your genius and address any of my comments. Even one will do. Try my favorite, roll couples, why don't you.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:54 AM
MAndretti
Cruising

So in your first statement you said that < (I assume you mean "under" by that) square bore and stroke ratio is required in a V8. Not true as there are plenty of over square b/s V8s out there.

Then you said that small displacement engines get poor gas miliage(SIC). I think you meant mileage. Typically smaller displacement engines get better fuel economy, just for your information.

And even your exact figure of $900 more to manufacture is laughable. Costs aren't that predictable and the cost difference will not be an exact number like that.

Upsetting roll couples? That's hilarious. My roll couples are downright angry, not just upset. And they will kick your roll couples' butt.

Last edited by MAndretti; 11-30-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Wants a high revving engine...shifts at 4500
Old 11-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

So in your first statement you said that < (I assume you mean "under" by that) square bore and stroke ratio is required in a V8. Not true as there are plenty of over square b/s V8s out there.

Then you said that small displacement engines get poor gas miliage(SIC). I think you meant mileage. Typically smaller displacement engines get better fuel economy, just for your information.

And even your exact figure of $900 more to manufacture is laughable. Costs aren't that predictable and the cost difference will not be an exact number like that.

Upsetting roll couples? That's hilarious. My roll couples are downright angry, not just upset. And they will kick your roll couples' butt.
I don't bother my brain with the likes of you.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:20 PM
MAndretti
Cruising

I don't bother my brain with the likes of you.
Seems like a smart decision.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,382 Likes on 2,070 Posts

So in your first statement you said that < (I assume you mean "under" by that) square bore and stroke ratio is required in a V8. Not true as there are plenty of over square b/s V8s out there. That is not wha heid, he specifically addressed this in relation to flat plane crank engines in a V8 configuration.

Then you said that small displacement engines get poor gas miliage(SIC). I think you meant mileage. Typically smaller displacement engines get better fuel economy, just for your information. Again, not his point, pecifically higher RPM engines get worse mileage (read that as amount of fuel to produce a given horsepower), friction goes up with the square of the speed of the engine. A 50% crease international rpm increases friction by 225%. Given that it takes the same hp to push the car down the road at a given speed, higher rpm means worse mileage.

And even your exact figure of $900 more to manufacture is laughable. Costs aren't that predictable and the cost difference will not be an exact number like that. You are right it could be way more to produce a DOHC. Price a replacement 660 hp Ferrari engine versus a replacement 650 hp Z06 engine. You are purposefully avoiding correct point that DOHC engines are more expensive to produce. Higher RPM engines are more expensive to produce as they need stronger materials to withstand he addition stress of the higher RPM.
Have a great evening.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:43 PM
C3DeedlyDee
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

On this statement, he does mention high revving small displacement engines, which do in fact get pretty **** gas mileage. My C3 with a 5-spd, lt4 hot cammed 350HO is currently getting better hwy fuel economy than my Z3M Coupe, and it has about ~100hp more. The Honda S2000 is another example. 2.0L or 2.2L engines that rev to the moon but return fuel economy figures not much higher than a C6 Z06.

That being said, there must be some efficiency benefits with going from a cpc to a fpc, because the C8R racecar is using an fpc on an engine with the same displacement as the cpc'd engine in the outgoing C7R. I don't think they would want to utilize something that would be detrimental to endurance racing.

Last edited by C3DeedlyDee; 12-10-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by C3DeedlyDee
On this statement, he does mention high revving small displacement engines, which do in fact get pretty **** gas mileage. My C3 with a 5-spd, lt4 hot cammed 350HO is currently getting better hwy fuel economy than my Z3M Coupe, and it has about ~100hp more. The Honda S2000 is another example. 2.0L or 2.2L engines that rev to the moon but return fuel economy figures not much higher than a C6 Z06.
The Ferrari v8s are the same way. Much smaller displacement than an LS motor, but mileage is often much worse. I assume that setting up the heads, cam and intake & exhaust manifolds for high rpm power results in inefficient operation at lower rpms. Lots of fun to drive though. :
Old 01-14-2020, 08:32 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by the lark
I wonder if the best sounding car ever has a fpc. It must because it revs to 9000 rpm. Lexus LFA. You tube that car.
It has a V10, so no it doesn't. The only way to use a FPC in a V10 is to use a split pin crank where opposing cylinders do not share a journal or to use on oddfire configuration where the timing between cylinders is not even. Given that I am pretty sure it doesn't.

Last edited by auburn2; 01-14-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Shaka (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by the lark
The aventador, has a flat plane v12, that revs to 8,500. But it’s a monster, 6.5 liters.
That is not true. In a flat plane crank the journals are all in one "flat" plane. No V12 has journals in one plane because a cylinder needs to fire every 60 degrees. You would need 3 banks of cylinders to make that happen with 12 cylinders firing on a crank with journals only at 0 and 180 (essentially a W12).

Now V12s do not require the large crossweights of a cross plane V8, for that reason the counterweights are smaller, like those on a FPC V8 but the V12 ceranckshaft is not a FPC itself.

Here is an aventador crankshaft on ebay, you can see clearly that it is a crossplane crankshaft:
https://www.ebay.com/i/113924009493?...SABEgJEc_D_BwE

Last edited by auburn2; 01-14-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Shaka (01-15-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Flat plane crank V8 vs LT2 V8 reliability

Old 01-15-2020, 09:10 AM
the lark
Burning Brakes

Received 579 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn2
That is not true. In a flat plane crank the journals are all in one "flat" plane. No V12 has journals in one plane because a cylinder needs to fire every 60 degrees. You would need 3 banks of cylinders to make that happen with 12 cylinders firing on a crank with journals only at 0 and 180 (essentially a W12).

Now V12s do not require the large crossweights of a cross plane V8, for that reason the counterweights are smaller, like those on a FPC V8 but the V12 ceranckshaft is not a FPC itself.

Here is an aventador crankshaft on ebay, you can see clearly that it is a crossplane crankshaft:
https://www.ebay.com/i/113924009493?...SABEgJEc_D_BwE
Wow pictures don't lie. That is defiantly a cross plane crank.
But man that lambo/ audi v-12 can rev, and sounds like a flat plane crank motor.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:11 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

This is the vibration damper for the C8 LT2. It is the most critical component of this engine or any engine for that matter.
My Ferrari F355 has no vibration dampener. So, here is an engine without a vibration dampener of the kind you mention.

However, there is a vibration dampening system--which consists of a long shaft (a bit over 12") and a grease filled dual-mass flywheel at the back of the transmission.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:15 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
The marketers have really succeeded with their seduction regarding FPC.

Every modern 4 cylinder and V6 engine in econoboxes and minivans has a FPC.
No V-6 (or flat-6) has an FPC. They have crankshafts with 3 lobes at {0 degrees, 120 degrees, and 240 degrees}
Some flat-6s have "horizontally opposed" cranks with 6 journals {0 degrees, 180 degrees, 120 degrees, 300 degrees, 240 degrees, and 60}

Quick Reply: Flat plane crank V8 vs LT2 V8 reliability