Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frunk Closure Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 10:31 AM
jrthe1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Frunk Closure Question

Long story but is there a way to close the frunk if the fuse is blown for the power close feature? And/or can I drive the car if the frunk lid is on the first latch and not fully closed? See my post front camera stopped working. Thanks

Popular Reply

05-05-2024, 01:48 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,156 Likes on 6,206 Posts

Why not replace the fuse?
Old 05-05-2024, 10:37 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,934 Likes on 5,681 Posts

You must have a '24 since power close. You can't just push to close if your the power assist isn't working? Seems it would be designed to do such.
You would most likely be ok driving a short distance at low speeds to the dealer with only first latch, however don't think I'd chance it.
Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:50 AM
LeJerk
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, you can push it all the way down and it will latch correctly. Sometimes the it doesn't want to close automatically and I have to do this on mine.
The following 3 users liked this post by LeJerk:
Kevin A Jones (05-05-2024), khearon23 (05-05-2024), Space Truckin (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:54 AM
jrthe1
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeJerk
Yes, you can push it all the way down and it will latch correctly. Sometimes the it doesn't want to close automatically and I have to do this on mine.
Hmmm. I tried but doesn't seem to work. Remember the fuse is blown that powers the soft close feature.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:55 AM
LeJerk
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Maybe try to manually open it via the pull handle under the dashboard, then closing it again. Instructions in owners manual.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:59 AM
jrthe1
Instructor

Maybe try to manually open it via the pull handle under the dashboard, then closing it again. Instructions in owners manual.
Thanks. I might try that but worried that it might fully open and then not be able to get it to the first latch position requiring a flat bed tow.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:10 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,934 Likes on 5,681 Posts

I don't know why they went to the power assist frunk close. Is certainly easy enough to close your frunk on '23s and earlier without power assist. Just another feature to break.
The following 6 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
4thC4at60 (05-05-2024), 65Bob-bo (05-09-2024), astepup (05-06-2024), proeagles (05-05-2024), Undy (05-06-2024), Vega$Vette (05-05-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-05-2024, 01:02 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 641 Likes on 305 Posts

Mine is the same. Sometimes I have to close it manually although I’m not sure why my guess is the auxiliary power shuts down after a certain amount of time. If I don’t “wake mine up” before disconnecting my battery tender the frunk won’t auto close.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:03 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I don't know why they went to the power assist frunk close. Is certainly easy enough to close your frunk on '23s and earlier without power assist. Just another feature to break.
I don’t get it either especially as it doesn’t work all the time.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (05-06-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 01:15 PM
jrthe1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 24RiptideBlue
Mine is the same. Sometimes I have to close it manually although I’m not sure why my guess is the auxiliary power shuts down after a certain amount of time. If I don’t “wake mine up” before disconnecting my battery tender the frunk won’t auto close.
I pushed the latch under the drivers headlight as usual, and the hood opened to the first latch. The hood will not allow me to open it any further. The hood will not allow me to latch it manually. I pushed down on it and I pushed as far and hard as I want to. I don’t want to risk damaging the hood. Remember I believe fuse 36 that powers both the front camera and power frunk closing is blown. How hard and how far down do you have to push down on the hood?
Old 05-05-2024, 01:48 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Why not replace the fuse?
The following 7 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
/Bear/ (05-05-2024), Acpantera (05-05-2024), CorvetteSparky (05-05-2024), Fast Dawg (05-06-2024), khearon23 (05-05-2024), kromdom (05-05-2024), Sweetness34 (05-06-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-05-2024, 02:43 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrthe1
I pushed the latch under the drivers headlight as usual, and the hood opened to the first latch. The hood will not allow me to open it any further. The hood will not allow me to latch it manually. I pushed down on it and I pushed as far and hard as I want to. I don’t want to risk damaging the hood. Remember I believe fuse 36 that powers both the front camera and power frunk closing is blown. How hard and how far down do you have to push down on the hood?
Ugh, weird and annoying…. So there is (or was) power to the latch to allow it to pop open to position one but won’t let go any further 🤔

When I manually close my hood I worry about putting a slight ding in the metal so I use a micro fiber towel and try to apply pressure as close the edge is possible. The metal should be stronger at the edges. I have to push until the hood is flush with nose. If you have to push the hood down lower than flush that’s not right and I don’t think it’s going to re latch unless it’s opened fully first.

If it won’t re latch maybe it’s time to pull the emergency manual cable in the driver footwell?

Someone said it’s takes a really strong pull on the cable and it might be a good idea to put a screwdriver or small handle through the loop to get a better grip. And just to make it as challenging as possible I would recommend someone gently lifting the hood while you pull the cable. The latch may only “let go” while it’s being pulled…. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:45 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

If you push the switch under the light again does it make any sound? Will it cycle through again?
Old 05-05-2024, 02:54 PM
jrthe1
Instructor

If you push the switch under the light again does it make any sound? Will it cycle through again?
The lights flash as usual, and it makes a sound, but it doesn’t pop up all the way it still remains on the first latch.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:56 PM
jrthe1
Instructor

Ugh, weird and annoying…. So there is (or was) power to the latch to allow it to pop open to position one but won’t let go any further 🤔

When I manually close my hood I worry about putting a slight ding in the metal so I use a micro fiber towel and try to apply pressure as close the edge is possible. The metal should be stronger at the edges. I have to push until the hood is flush with nose. If you have to push the hood down lower than flush that’s not right and I don’t think it’s going to re latch unless it’s opened fully first.

If it won’t re latch maybe it’s time to pull the emergency manual cable in the driver footwell?

Someone said it’s takes a really strong pull on the cable and it might be a good idea to put a screwdriver or small handle through the loop to get a better grip. And just to make it as challenging as possible I would recommend someone gently lifting the hood while you pull the cable. The latch may only “let go” while it’s being pulled…. Hopefully that makes sense.
i’m pretty sure I can get the hood open with the emergency cable. I am afraid though that once I get it open, I will not be able to get it to close even on the first latch. I am either going to take it to the dealership if I can get the hood closed, if I can’t i’ll be damned if I’m going to have a flatbed towed to the dealer so I’ll try to disassemble the area between the seats to get to the fuse box.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,679 Likes on 6,666 Posts

Hmm, maybe not pushing hard enough BUT:
With fuse fine, IF I wait too long before closing cannot push and have it latch. I have to open again and then with a push it closes, and motor pulls it to latch????
Old 05-05-2024, 07:03 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

i’m pretty sure I can get the hood open with the emergency cable. I am afraid though that once I get it open, I will not be able to get it to close even on the first latch. I am either going to take it to the dealership if I can get the hood closed, if I can’t i’ll be damned if I’m going to have a flatbed towed to the dealer so I’ll try to disassemble the area between the seats to get to the fuse box.
If you have decided that you want the dealer to figure out what’s wrong (makes perfect sense) and are dead set against flat bed you could drive it with it on the first latch if you don’t exceed 30mph but you might hear a lot of rattling and that might make a mess of the latch….

I had two other thoughts… again just trying to help… one is if the switch will cycle I might try having someone gently tug open the hood while cycling the switch…. Assuming it hopefully opens and resets as it should…

Or call the service department and ask them what to do if you can’t get it closed. They can’t claim you made it worse or are part of the problem if you ask them how you’re supposed to get it serviced if you can’t close the hood. Annoying….

Soap box…. I don’t need an auto closing frunk and I’ve never had an old school manual latch fail.
These cars have two automatic latches 🤦‍♂️ . Your experience alone and I don’t care if you are the only one… tells me I’d rather have manual latches.

Get notified of new replies

To Frunk Closure Question

Old 05-05-2024, 07:24 PM
jrthe1
Instructor

If you have decided that you want the dealer to figure out what’s wrong (makes perfect sense) and are dead set against flat bed you could drive it with it on the first latch if you don’t exceed 30mph but you might hear a lot of rattling and that might make a mess of the latch….

I had two other thoughts… again just trying to help… one is if the switch will cycle I might try having someone gently tug open the hood while cycling the switch…. Assuming it hopefully opens and resets as it should…

Or call the service department and ask them what to do if you can’t get it closed. They can’t claim you made it worse or are part of the problem if you ask them how you’re supposed to get it serviced if you can’t close the hood. Annoying….

Soap box…. I don’t need an auto closing frunk and I’ve never had an old school manual latch fail.
These cars have two automatic latches 🤦‍♂️ . Your experience alone and I don’t care if you are the only one… tells me I’d rather have manual latches.
Thanks, 24 riptide blue. At this point, I will call the dealer when they open at 8:30 AM tomorrow and see if they have any advice. And by the way, I never had a problem with the power closing frunk at all. It worked perfectly and I never had an issue using it. This all started with my front curbside cameras not working. I found out that fuse 36 was for the front curbside cameras and the power closing frunk. So I decided to open the frunk to see if it would open and it did to the fiirst latch position but it doesn’t close. So that tells me that fuse number 36 is blowin and that’s where I am, After tugging on the hood in latch position one it seems to me that I might be able to go faster than 30 miles an hour. Maybe I could put some nice microfiber towels in the opening to dampen the hood chatter. We’ll see what the dealer says in the morning. Any one with any other ideas? Maybe it’s best I gut it out and replace the fuse but removing that rear cover looks to be kind of a chore.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:42 PM
24RiptideBlue
Burning Brakes

Thanks, 24 riptide blue. At this point, I will call the dealer when they open at 8:30 AM tomorrow and see if they have any advice. And by the way, I never had a problem with the power closing frunk at all. It worked perfectly and I never had an issue using it. This all started with my front curbside cameras not working. I found out that fuse 36 was for the front curbside cameras and the power closing frunk. So I decided to open the frunk to see if it would open and it did to the fiirst latch position but it doesn’t close. So that tells me that fuse number 36 is blowin and that’s where I am, After tugging on the hood in latch position one it seems to me that I might be able to go faster than 30 miles an hour. Maybe I could put some nice microfiber towels in the opening to dampen the hood chatter. We’ll see what the dealer says in the morning. Any one with any other ideas? Maybe it’s best I gut it out and replace the fuse but removing that rear cover looks to be kind of a chore.
The 30MPH was a definitely a wild *** gas on my part… maybe it’s 40MPH, maybe even more but I wouldn’t chance going much more than 40mph because it’s just not worth the risk. If the worst occurred and the wind snapped it back OMG it’s going to cause some expensive damage…

I don’t know anything about what’s involved to access that fuse. If there are instructions in the manual and it’s supposed be owner accessible I would probably give it a whirl but if not I would leave it alone. All modern interiors are held together with plastic clips. And disassembly requires prying and knowing where the clips are etc. I don’t work on interiors because I always break the clips and get pissed. Always. 🤷‍♂️

seems like you’re on the right track. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jrthe1 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 08:49 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a video on accessing the rear fuse box.

Starts at 5:38.

The following 2 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
astepup (05-06-2024), LeJerk (05-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Frunk Closure Question