Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Share Your Own C8 Story

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 11:50 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,804 Likes on 5,631 Posts
Default Share Your Own C8 Story

Here's mine:
When the C8 first came out I was a little reluctant however after seeing a few and finally driving one it wore off in a HURRY. Even though I loved my 2017 GS Vert I immediately started to calculate when I should order to get a 3rd model year C8. I typically try to purchase 3rd model years giving the manufacturer a year to identify common issues with the new vehicle and another to resolve them. This seems to have worked for me over the years.

With all the stories on this forum regarding C8 orders falling through, I decided to get on waiting lists at MSRP with two larger dealers for identical Z51 coupes, to all but insure I would end up with at lease one C8. Sure enough my 2022 C8 was delivered and it confirmed that my fears that I would miss my C7 GS were misguided. I was so impressed I also got on waiting list for a C8 Z06. I even got "Z06-C8" plates while available for my Z51s in anticipation that the Z06 would be my final C8.

About a week after delivery the second dealer contacted me stating my allocation had come up for a 2023. Figuring among other things, I'd be better off with a 23 at the beginning of the model year, than a 22 at end of model year I sent an e-mail and in about 15 minutes my 2022 was sold. I changed the 2023 to the new Q99 wheels and went from edge red calipers to bright red calipers. The 2023 was delivered not quite 3 months later. As a result of the proceeds from sale of the 2022 and being price protected on my 2023 I reduced my C8 cost substantially.
I still have the 2023 and am CRAZY about about this sportscar!!!

Fast forward maybe 12 months and I received my Z06 allocation. While I was initially very excited after configuring my Z06 (yes configured same as my 22 and 23 Z51s) cost was to be approx $64,000 more than I had in my current 2023 Z51. After going back and forth, I finally decided to pass on the Z06. No doubt the Z06 is an amazing sportscar, however after thinking what $64,000 will buy (a nice down payment on a vacation home for example) I just could not justify that much difference for basically the same C8, minus the Z06. It's been a while now and I have had no second thoughts regarding keeping my 2023 Z51. And yes, I will eventually get rid of the Z06 license plate as I'm sure some see it and think I'm trying to pass my Z51 off as a Z06.

Has anyone else passed on a Z06?

Please share your C8 stories on this thread.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 04-21-2024 at 01:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
aaronj_76 (04-23-2024), Big Lebowski (04-23-2024), MIKEZ51 (04-21-2024), z edge (04-21-2024)

Popular Reply

04-21-2024, 04:55 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 893 Likes on 378 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

My story starts about 10 years ago. I have a 42 year old mentally disabled son who lives with me. We were Harley riders for many years with him as a passenger. I ended up developing fractures in my back, which ended my riding days because they caused my legs to go numb while riding, to the point I couldn’t move them. To keep the father-son bonding continuing, I needed to come up with something to fill the void. I always loved Corvettes and my son loved them too. So, while he was sleeping in one Saturday morning, I snuck a 2006 Coupe into the garage, woke him up and told him I needed his help in the garage. He was smiling so wide I thought his cheeks would split. We joined the local Corvette Club, and later had a 1978, 2012 GS, and 2019 GS. We had grand times going to car shows, rallies, and anything having to do with Corvettes.

In 2020, my son fell in love with the C8. He frequently bugged me with questions asking when we would get one. I told him probably in 2025, all along secretly saving money for it. That rolled around in 2023, when I bought our 2023 coupe. I wanted to duplicate the surprise factor for my son, so I enlisted the aid of my dealership. Our Corvette club met in the service department, so they placed the car on a lift under a cover facing the club. I told my son I would be talking about his Special Olympic achievements, and would call him up when I did. Instead, I began talking about how we got into Corvettes, and how I surprised him with our first one 10 years earlier. Then I spoke about how he really wanted a C8, and our plans to get one in 2025. I turned to him and asked if it would be OK if we got one before 2025. Of course, he said yes, and I told him to turn around. At that moment the cover was pulled back, and there it was. Took a while for him to realize what was happening. The club (about 100 people) went wild with applause and shouts. Again, I thought his cheeks would split. Mission accomplished.

It was very hard keeping it a secret for the 9 months it took from the time I got on the list, to the day it was revealed.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:17 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 451 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Here's mine:
When the C8 first came out I was a little reluctant however after seeing a few and finally driving one it wore off in a HURRY. Even though I loved my 2017 GS Vert I immediately started to calculate when I should order to get a 3rd model year C8. I typically try to purchase 3rd model years giving the manufacturer a year to identify common issues with the new vehicle and another to resolve them. This seems to have worked for me over the years.

With all the stories on this forum regarding C8 orders falling through, I decided to get on waiting lists at MSRP with two larger dealers for identical Z51 coupes, to all but insure I would end up with at lease one C8. Sure enough my 2022 C8 was delivered and it confirmed that my fears that I would miss my C7 GS were misguided. I was so impressed I also got on waiting list for a C8 Z06. I even got "Z06-C8" plates while available for my Z51s in anticipation that the Z06 would be my final C8.

About a week after delivery the second dealer contacted me stating my allocation had come up for a 2023. Figuring among other things, I'd be better off with a 23 at the beginning of the model year, than a 22 at end of model year I sent an e-mail and in about 15 minutes my 2022 was sold. I changed the 2023 to the new Q99 wheels and went from edge red calipers to bright red calipers. The 2023 was delivered not quite 3 months later. As a result of the proceeds from sale of the 2022 and being price protected on my 2023 I reduced my C8 cost substantially.
I still have the 2023 and am CRAZY about about this sportscar!!!

Fast forward maybe 12 months and I received my Z06 allocation. While I was initially very excited after configuring my Z06 (yes configured same as my 22 and 23 Z51s) cost was to be approx $64,000 more than I had in my current 2023 Z51. After going back and forth, I finally decided to pass on the Z06. No doubt the Z06 is an amazing sportscar, however after thinking what $64,000 will buy (a nice down payment on a vacation home for example) I just could not justify that much difference for basically the same C8, minus the Z06. It's been a while now and I have had no second thoughts regarding keeping my 2023 Z51. And yes, I will eventually get rid of the Z06 license plate as I'm sure some see it and think I'm trying to pass my Z51 off as a Z06.

Has anyone else passed on a Z06?

Please share your C8 stories on this thread.

AWESOME CAR KEVIN!!!!!! I remember when you also said that no manual was a deal breaker? Love that oolor! Will you get a Eray??? lol
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 01:35 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by V Vette
AWESOME CAR KEVIN!!!!!! I remember when you also said that no manual was a deal breaker? Love that oolor! Will you get a Eray??? lol
Thank you!
Respectfully, you are mistaken. What I've always stated is that I've always been a manual fan as most of my Corvettes have been manuals. However, I settled for an A8 in my 2017 GS and was very impressed with it. I'm afraid manuals are or soon will be a thing in the past for sportscars.
I do still have a '96 Tacoma manual where I get my manual "fix". I will never get rid of it.

No, I don't expect to own an Eray, as just my opinion, a vehicle is either electric or fossil fuel. The Eray IMO, is just a gas powered C8 with electric motors added to the front wheels.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:37 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 451 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Thank you!
Respectfully, you are mistaken. What I've always stated is that I've always been a manual fan as most of my Corvettes have been manuals. However, I settled for an A8 in my 2017 GS and was very impressed with it. I'm afraid manuals are or soon will be a thing in the past for sportscars.
I do still have a '96 Tacoma manual where I get my manual "fix". I will never get rid of it.

No, I don't expect to own an Eray, as just my opinion, a vehicle is either electric or fossil fuel. The Eray IMO, is just a gas powered C8 with electric motors added to the front wheels.
If I had the $$$ I would get the Eray in your color... Man that looks cool.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:53 PM
Semifighter18
Racer

Received 316 Likes on 147 Posts

I put my $2k down with Ciocca Chevrolet when the Z06 first came out, however, even though I had the wire info done and sent (from my computer) less than a minute after Ciocca released their wire information, my bank did not actually send the wire for 22 minutes, so I ended up over 2000 on the list. I ended up getting my money back and put an order in for a Stingray with a local dealer where I had been on a list for a while. Prior to that I impulse purchased an Aston Martin that I fell in love with, thinking it would be well over a year before I'd actually get an allocation. Well, it only took a few months and at that point I wasn't quite ready to part with the Aston Martin so I passed on the order (the dealer actually ordered the car before I came in to finalize, which is another story). Anyhow, after a few months I kept finding myself looking online at Stingrays and found one that was very close to what I ordered about 4 hours away. $15k over sticker, but after several days of back and forth I was able to get the car at MSRP so I jumped on it and then sold the Aston Martin. Almost simultaneously my buddy got a Z06. He let me drive it and afterwards I came away with a few thoughts. To set the stage, this was a relatively short street drive at about 4/10s driving, just a couple of corners, so really not much to go on. First and foremost the engine sound of the Z06 is mesmerizing and is absolutely part of the experience of that car. For relatively tame driving my Stingray is smoother and you don't really feel the power difference until you start to get on it. An obvious note is that you cannot take advantage of the performance of either car on the street. You really need to take it to the track to explore the limits (I do have track experience) so as a pure street car (my track days are behind me) the Z06 will not bring a significant difference in my opinion. The engine noise, the widebody........the obvious differences are the things that would rationally be the reasons you'd buy the car, not because it's so much faster on the street, because if you are exploring those limits then you are WAY above reasonable driving and probably should go to jail. As a guy who uses the car as a weekend toy at 5-6/10s driving, spirited but safe, there isn't a rational reason to upgrade to a Z06 for $40-80k more, depending on configuration. Having said that, it's the irrational side of me that still lusts after the Z06. Despite what I just said I still very much want one, but I'm probably a year or two away and probably looking at used cars if they get to be cheaper than new. I'm not in the category where $ is no object and price doesn't matter. I can comfortably afford one, but still don't want to just "throw away" $40k on something that I really don't need. The X-factor is the Eray, something I didn't think I'd be that interested in, but if I really sit down and think about what would be the better car for me, for how I drive, it's hard to argue the Z06 over the Eray. So as I sit here writing this today, I don't know what I will upgrade to. I'm probably 55/45 leaning towards Eray but we'll see in a couple of years. Until then every time I look at my Stingray I wonder why I would ever give it up. 6000 trouble free miles so far and it truly has been the best, most capable, smoothest sports car I've ever owned. And easily the best street car I've ever owned. This really doesn't align directly with what you were asking folks to post but there you have it.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:13 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Thanks for post, good story! And I agree as I've had a boatload of Corvettes, Porches, Z cars, (2) Deloreans, and god knows what else and all considered, especially value for $ spent, the C8 Z51 is top IMO. I don't understand spending $200,000 + for sportscars when a new nicely equipped C8 Z51 2LT is available in the mid $80,000s.

Originally Posted by Semifighter18
I put my $2k down with Ciocca Chevrolet when the Z06 first came out, however, even though I had the wire info done and sent (from my computer) less than a minute after Ciocca released their wire information, my bank did not actually send the wire for 22 minutes, so I ended up over 2000 on the list. I ended up getting my money back and put an order in for a Stingray with a local dealer where I had been on a list for a while. Prior to that I impulse purchased an Aston Martin that I fell in love with, thinking it would be well over a year before I'd actually get an allocation. Well, it only took a few months and at that point I wasn't quite ready to part with the Aston Martin so I passed on the order (the dealer actually ordered the car before I came in to finalize, which is another story). Anyhow, after a few months I kept finding myself looking online at Stingrays and found one that was very close to what I ordered about 4 hours away. $15k over sticker, but after several days of back and forth I was able to get the car at MSRP so I jumped on it and then sold the Aston Martin. Almost simultaneously my buddy got a Z06. He let me drive it and afterwards I came away with a few thoughts. To set the stage, this was a relatively short street drive at about 4/10s driving, just a couple of corners, so really not much to go on. First and foremost the engine sound of the Z06 is mesmerizing and is absolutely part of the experience of that car. For relatively tame driving my Stingray is smoother and you don't really feel the power difference until you start to get on it. An obvious note is that you cannot take advantage of the performance of either car on the street. You really need to take it to the track to explore the limits (I do have track experience) so as a pure street car (my track days are behind me) the Z06 will not bring a significant difference in my opinion. The engine noise, the widebody........the obvious differences are the things that would rationally be the reasons you'd buy the car, not because it's so much faster on the street, because if you are exploring those limits then you are WAY above reasonable driving and probably should go to jail. As a guy who uses the car as a weekend toy at 5-6/10s driving, spirited but safe, there isn't a rational reason to upgrade to a Z06 for $40-80k more, depending on configuration. Having said that, it's the irrational side of me that still lusts after the Z06. Despite what I just said I still very much want one, but I'm probably a year or two away and probably looking at used cars if they get to be cheaper than new. I'm not in the category where $ is no object and price doesn't matter. I can comfortably afford one, but still don't want to just "throw away" $40k on something that I really don't need. The X-factor is the Eray, something I didn't think I'd be that interested in, but if I really sit down and think about what would be the better car for me, for how I drive, it's hard to argue the Z06 over the Eray. So as I sit here writing this today, I don't know what I will upgrade to. I'm probably 55/45 leaning towards Eray but we'll see in a couple of years. Until then every time I look at my Stingray I wonder why I would ever give it up. 6000 trouble free miles so far and it truly has been the best, most capable, smoothest sports car I've ever owned. And easily the best street car I've ever owned. This really doesn't align directly with what you were asking folks to post but there you have it.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:27 PM
gdb069
Burning Brakes

Received 612 Likes on 332 Posts

Went to GM dealership and was told 2 year wait. Went to next GM dealership and was told 24 month wait so that's a lot shorter? Went to Porsche dealership and was told 2 year wait for 911. In talking with them I mentioned C8 was also a 2 years wait. But wait ... Porsche dealership actually had a new C8 and spec was almost exactly what I was going to order so my new C8 has Porsche license plate frame. Hmmm that must be confusing some people.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:10 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 124 Posts

My Dad and I were born in Kentucky. When he died February last year I made the down payment on my C8. As he paid for it, I did Museum delivery so I could get a plaque between the seats reading "in memory of" his name. After I got the car I visited his side of our family and then went to Dad's grave in Kentucky where a toast with his favorite Kentucky bourbon was had. I could have bought another car, but as a Corvette lover I thought one from Kentucky made sense. He's over my shoulder on every drive.
The following 6 users liked this post by Blue Lion:
astepup (04-21-2024), bigblock427 (04-21-2024), JimB. (04-22-2024), Kevin A Jones (04-21-2024), Q Pilot (04-21-2024), Rky Mtn C6 (04-21-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-21-2024, 03:20 PM
paco04
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 56 Posts

Went to a Ferrari sponsored event yesterday where 3 new cars were displayed. Ferrari of Houston brought a new Purosangue, a 296, and a Roma coupe. Signed a waiver and was allowed to drive the new Roma (with a salesperson in the passenger seat). All 3 cars were optioned in the mid to upper $400's. The Roma is stupid fast for a Grand Tourer, albeit a little nervous on the road with incredibly light and responsive steering. But to be brutally honest, I prefer the predictability of my Z51 coupe driving at speed. I offered friends a chance to drive my car, no takers, because I guess they would feel like they'd be banned from 'the fraternity'. At 1/5 the cost of the car that I drove, the C8 is a no brainer.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:21 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I had a 2015 Stingray that I absolutely loved. It was my third Corvette but the first one that I had ordered new at my wife's insistence as a retirement gift to myself. We went on road trips in it. I drove it every chance that I got. In late 2018 my wife developed lower back issues. We had our annual trip to the Georgia - Florida game coming up and took the C7. She didn't get very far when I could tell she was in pain. I volunteered to go back home but she toughed it out. That was our last road trip in that car and it sat most of that winter in my garage. In May 2019 I got tired of it just sitting, thought my wife was through with Corvettes, so I sold it. I bought a 2009 Stingray specifically to mod. I took it to Vengeance Racing as soon as I picked it up and had them install their NA Stage 3 package on it. That car sounded great but I started having problems with it unrelated to the mods - the famous gas leak that GM put a ten year warranty on but of course I was just past that date - and several other problems that had service bulletins but I had to pay to have repaired. I had that car for 14 months and both my wife and daughter told me to sell it. They could tell I didn't like it.

My wife suggested a later model C7 Grand Sport convertible because we had a friend with one that she loved. We had kept our C5 convertible longer than any of my previous Corvettes (all coupes) - 13 years. I started looking at 2018 and 2019 models in early 2021 when the car market was nuts. I had looked at the C8 online but didn't think much about it until I saw the prices for the C7s. I started reading this forum and how much the members here loved the C8. I also had a guy who lived in my neighborhood who only drove Porsches. He always had one or two and his wife drove a Porsche SUV. One day when I was researching the C8 I saw him coming up the street in one - his first Corvette. I stopped him and he showed me the car. He had sold both of his cars (his wife kept her Porsche SUV) and he told me that I would be nuts not to buy one. He wasn't, and hasn't, gone back to a Porsche.

I went and told my wife about that conversation and that for about $10k more than I would pay for a nicely optioned C7 GS I could buy a new C8. All she said was get a convertible. Yes mam! I put deposits down with Kerbeck (Ciocca) and MacMulkin and got on their year long wait list just to order. At the urging of some forum members who had ordered for MSRP at Rick Hendrick in Duluth, GA we went and met with their Corvette Sales Manager about ten days after I put my deposits down with the two top dealers. We sat with him for two hours just chatting about a variety of topics because he had a C8 close to my spec in PDI. Once it came out he let us sit in it, he showed us how the HTC worked, and then he started it. That loud start told me all I needed to know. I went back inside, we built my car, and I left him with a deposit. One month later he called and asked me if I was ready to order - he had an allocation for me. He had to repeat himself because I couldn't believe what he was saying. We tweaked my order and two weeks later he told me it was accepted by GM with a TPW OF 8/17/2021.

The only thing that made me nervous was that when GM accepted my order I asked about the additional 5% deposit that was the norm then and was told not to worry about it - the Sales Manager had put it in as a retail stock order - not a sold order. I kept my deposits at Kerbeck and MacMulkin just in case. My car was built in early September and was on Hendrick's lot on 9/11/2021. I picked it up on 9/14/2021. I had already gotten my deposit back from MacMulkin because of their decision that summer not to do courtesy deliveries but I kept mine at Ciocca. The day after I picked up my car I got a call from a sales guy at Ciocca to tell me it was time to order my C8. It was nice to be able to tell him it was already in my garage and he could send my deposit back!

It's by far the best Corvette I've every owned. Zora was right, I'm so happy to own the first mid-engine Corvette, and no @Kevin A Jones I didn't order nor did I have the desire to order a C8 Z06!
Old 04-21-2024, 03:56 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I never was particularly interested in Corvettes. My lifelong dream car was always a Jaguar convertible. However, it seemed I was not in the position to buy one until 2011 when I got what I thought was a smokin' deal on a three-year-old XK convertible from a "reputable" dealership a few states away. Well, I laid down my money, and waited for the car to be shipped to me in South Carolina. My "dream car" arrived and I spent the next 18 months fixing one thing after another. You all know the story, the car spent more time at the service department then in my garage. Finally, after a particularly frustrating day of trying to get the convertible top to work, my wife said, "why don't you just go buy yourself a Corvette?"

Now, here is a word of advice. If your spouse ever tells you to go buy a Corvette, there is only one thing to do, and within 48 hours, there was a brand new 2012 Carlisle Blue coupe in the driveway. Well, I really liked that car and would have kept it longer, but the first C7s were starting to show in in dealerships, and I was smitten. Enter the 2014 Arctic White Stingray convertible. I REALLY liked that one and kept it for nearly 7 years, until C8....

Folks might remember the GM travelling road show, where brand new C8s were loaded into trucks and taken all over the country so people could see the car. I went with my local Corvette Club to one of these presentations, to get a closer look at C8. This particular dealer had an orange coupe parked in a small room at the back of the building. I walked in the room, worked my way through the crowd, took one look at the car, and decided I hated it. In fact, when I got home later that day, I informed my wife I would not be buying one of those ugly pieces of ----.

As time went by, and I started seeing more and more C8s around town (and in the club), the car started to look better and better to me. I really started to appreciate the exotic lines. Then the HTC came out, and I repeatedly watched the GM video of the HTC driving down the street with the top repeatedly opening and closing. That was just too cool. I had to have one. Then Red Mist was offered for the first time, and I was sold. I ordered my 2LT RM HTC in January of 2021, and took delivery of a MY 2022 in October of that year. I LOVE this car! I have now put about 12,000 miles on the car and have never looked back. I get a rush every time I get behind the wheel. This is by far, the coolest automobile I have ever owned.

Oh, and I don't miss the Jag....

Last edited by LIE2ME; 04-21-2024 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 04:14 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Great Story!

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
I had a 2015 Stingray that I absolutely loved. It was my third Corvette but the first one that I had ordered new at my wife's insistence as a retirement gift to myself. We went on road trips in it. I drove it every chance that I got. In late 2018 my wife developed lower back issues. We had our annual trip to the Georgia - Florida game coming up and took the C7. She didn't get very far when I could tell she was in pain. I volunteered to go back home but she toughed it out. That was our last road trip in that car and it sat most of that winter in my garage. In May 2019 I got tired of it just sitting, thought my wife was through with Corvettes, so I sold it. I bought a 2009 Stingray specifically to mod. I took it to Vengeance Racing as soon as I picked it up and had them install their NA Stage 3 package on it. That car sounded great but I started having problems with it unrelated to the mods - the famous gas leak that GM put a ten year warranty on but of course I was just past that date - and several other problems that had service bulletins but I had to pay to have repaired. I had that car for 14 months and both my wife and daughter told me to sell it. They could tell I didn't like it.

My wife suggested a later model C7 Grand Sport convertible because we had a friend with one that she loved. We had kept our C5 convertible longer than any of my previous Corvettes (all coupes) - 13 years. I started looking at 2018 and 2019 models in early 2021 when the car market was nuts. I had looked at the C8 online but didn't think much about it until I saw the prices for the C7s. I started reading this forum and how much the members here loved the C8. I also had a guy who lived in my neighborhood who only drove Porsches. He always had one or two and his wife drove a Porsche SUV. One day when I was researching the C8 I saw him coming up the street in one - his first Corvette. I stopped him and he showed me the car. He had sold both of his cars (his wife kept her Porsche SUV) and he told me that I would be nuts not to buy one. He wasn't, and hasn't, gone back to a Porsche.

I went and told my wife about that conversation and that for about $10k more than I would pay for a nicely optioned C7 GS I could buy a new C8. All she said was get a convertible. Yes mam! I put deposits down with Kerbeck (Ciocca) and MacMulkin and got on their year long wait list just to order. At the urging of some forum members who had ordered for MSRP at Rick Hendrick in Duluth, GA we went and met with their Corvette Sales Manager about ten days after I put my deposits down with the two top dealers. We sat with him for two hours just chatting about a variety of topics because he had a C8 close to my spec in PDI. Once it came out he let us sit in it, he showed us how the HTC worked, and then he started it. That loud start told me all I needed to know. I went back inside, we built my car, and I left him with a deposit. One month later he called and asked me if I was ready to order - he had an allocation for me. He had to repeat himself because I couldn't believe what he was saying. We tweaked my order and two weeks later he told me it was accepted by GM with a TPW OF 8/17/2021.

The only thing that made me nervous was that when GM accepted my order I asked about the additional 5% deposit that was the norm then and was told not to worry about it - the Sales Manager had put it in as a retail stock order - not a sold order. I kept my deposits at Kerbeck and MacMulkin just in case. My car was built in early September and was on Hendrick's lot on 9/11/2021. I picked it up on 9/14/2021. I had already gotten my deposit back from MacMulkin because of their decision that summer not to do courtesy deliveries but I kept mine at Ciocca. The day after I picked up my car I got a call from a sales guy at Ciocca to tell me it was time to order my C8. It was nice to be able to tell him it was already in my garage and he could send my deposit back!

It's by far the best Corvette I've every owned. Zora was right, I'm so happy to own the first mid-engine Corvette, and no @Kevin A Jones I didn't order nor did I have the desire to order a C8 Z06!
Fast Dawg (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 04:39 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Beautiful C8, I was hoping there would some interesting stories.
Jaguars are beautiful sportscars but I don't know anyone that's had one that didn't have all sorts of problems.
My neighbor test drove a new one and it lost all power on the interstate. Salesman had to call a tow truck and someone from dealership to pick them up. Of course the salesman tried to explain it away but my neighbor wasn't having any of that.

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
I never was particularly interested in Corvettes. My lifelong dream car was always a Jaguar convertible. However, it seemed I was not in the position to buy one until 2011 when I got what I thought was a smokin' deal on a three-year-old XK convertible from a "reputable" dealership a few states away. Well, I laid down my money, and waited for the car to be shipped to me in South Carolina. My "dream car" arrived and I spent the next 18 months fixing one thing after another. You all know the story, the car spent more time at the service department then in my garage. Finally, after a particularly frustrating day of trying to get the convertible top to work, my wife said, "why don't you just go buy yourself a Corvette?"

Now, here is a word of advice. If your spouse ever tells you to go buy a Corvette, there is only one thing to do, and within 48 hours, there was a brand new 2012 Carlisle Blue coupe in the driveway. Well, I really liked that car and would have kept it longer, but the first C7s were starting to show in in dealerships, and I was smitten. Enter the 2014 Arctic White Stingray convertible. I REALLY liked that one and kept it for nearly 7 years, until C8....

Folks might remember the GM travelling road show, where brand new C8s were loaded into trucks and taken all over the country so people could see the car. I went with my local Corvette Club to one of these presentations, to get a closer look at C8. This particular dealer had an orange coupe parked in a small room at the back of the building. I walked in the room, worked my way through the crowd, took one look at the car, and decided I hated it. In fact, when I got home later that day, I informed my wife I would not be buying one of those ugly pieces of ----.

As time went by, and I started seeing more and more C8s around town (and in the club), the car started to look better and better to me. I really started to appreciate the exotic lines. Then the HTC came out, and I repeatedly watched the GM video of the HTC driving down the street with the top repeatedly opening and closing. That was just too cool. I had to have one. Then Red Mist was offered for the first time, and I was sold. I ordered my 2LT RM HTC in January of 2021, and took delivery of a MY 2022 in October of that year. I LOVE this car! I have now put about 12,000 miles on the car and have never looked back. I get a rush every time I get behind the wheel. This is by far, the coolest automobile I have ever owned.

Oh, and I don't miss the Jag....

Old 04-21-2024, 04:55 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 893 Likes on 378 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

My story starts about 10 years ago. I have a 42 year old mentally disabled son who lives with me. We were Harley riders for many years with him as a passenger. I ended up developing fractures in my back, which ended my riding days because they caused my legs to go numb while riding, to the point I couldn’t move them. To keep the father-son bonding continuing, I needed to come up with something to fill the void. I always loved Corvettes and my son loved them too. So, while he was sleeping in one Saturday morning, I snuck a 2006 Coupe into the garage, woke him up and told him I needed his help in the garage. He was smiling so wide I thought his cheeks would split. We joined the local Corvette Club, and later had a 1978, 2012 GS, and 2019 GS. We had grand times going to car shows, rallies, and anything having to do with Corvettes.

In 2020, my son fell in love with the C8. He frequently bugged me with questions asking when we would get one. I told him probably in 2025, all along secretly saving money for it. That rolled around in 2023, when I bought our 2023 coupe. I wanted to duplicate the surprise factor for my son, so I enlisted the aid of my dealership. Our Corvette club met in the service department, so they placed the car on a lift under a cover facing the club. I told my son I would be talking about his Special Olympic achievements, and would call him up when I did. Instead, I began talking about how we got into Corvettes, and how I surprised him with our first one 10 years earlier. Then I spoke about how he really wanted a C8, and our plans to get one in 2025. I turned to him and asked if it would be OK if we got one before 2025. Of course, he said yes, and I told him to turn around. At that moment the cover was pulled back, and there it was. Took a while for him to realize what was happening. The club (about 100 people) went wild with applause and shouts. Again, I thought his cheeks would split. Mission accomplished.

It was very hard keeping it a secret for the 9 months it took from the time I got on the list, to the day it was revealed.

The following 16 users liked this post by Rky Mtn C6:
1stc8 (04-22-2024), 74plb (04-22-2024), 800steve (04-22-2024), aaronj_76 (04-23-2024), astepup (04-21-2024), bigblock427 (04-21-2024), BigKevO (04-23-2024), Carvin (04-23-2024), Fast Dawg (04-21-2024), Kevin A Jones (04-21-2024), paco04 (04-21-2024), Q Pilot (04-23-2024), randyfl (04-22-2024), rrichar2591 (04-21-2024), Strake (04-21-2024), z edge (04-21-2024) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-21-2024, 04:58 PM
JToddH
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Never forget how fortunate we are.

Until a few months ago, I was one of those people who stop to look and lust over new Vettes, waving or giving a thumbs up to those fortunate enough to have a C8.

In seven weeks, and 2,800 miles of ownership, I never miss an opportunity to share my good fortune with those who share their appreciation for the C8.

Several times people would stop to take photos, and often, I’d let ‘em climb inside and take photos of them in my car.

I guess we all enjoy our cars in our own way. I’ve found being humble and sharing when possible brings as much joy to me, as those who taste the Corvette experience that many of us might take for granted.

…and if I had a dollar for everyone I’ve taken for a ride, my car would probably have paid for itself! Lol!
The following 3 users liked this post by JToddH:
Fast Dawg (04-21-2024), Kevin A Jones (04-21-2024), z edge (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 05:10 PM
BearsC8
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 30 Posts

So, I was never really a Corvette fan for most of my life. I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in the parts department in the late 70’s, and they would occasionally have one come through the showroom, but I was never impressed. My big boy toy preferences ran to motorcycles, boats, and for a short, expensive period, airplanes. Enter the C8 in 2020. I read about it, but never saw one in the wild until the middle of 2022 at a local car show. When I first saw it, it took me while to identify that it was indeed a Corvette, and the owner was happy to tell me all about it, even allowing me to sit in it, and start it up. I had recently completed and sold a 1972 money pit Chevelle Malibu restoration, along with a boat we owned, so I had some cash in my pocket, and began my search for my next toy.

I initially started looking at Camaros, but by the time l spec’d one out at the trim level and accessories I wanted, I was within $10-15K of a C8 1LT. And, as we moved through 2023, used C8’s we’re starting to show up occasionally, and deliveries for new ones were starting to become a bit more reasonable. We first went to Les Stanford to look at a used 2021 2LT, but I wasn’t crazy about the color combo (white with red interior), and that particular vehicle felt like it had been rode hard and put up wet, despite the low miles. In talking with the salesman over the next few days, we then decided to order a new 2024 2LT in red mist, and made an appointment to do so the following day. When we arrived that afternoon, there was a gorgeous 2023 3LT Stingray in Elkhart Lake Blue sitting on the showroom floor that we learned was the dealership owner’s personal vehicle, which had just been turned in with slightly over 2000 miles on the clock. As we sat down to order ours, I found out that Z51 option had been placed on constraint for an indefinite period, which was disappointing. We don’t intend to track the vehicle, but wanted the Z51 package for the additional features and resale.

My spouse and I took a few minutes to consider our options, and decided to pursue the ELB 2023 demo. However, because it was a 3LT, and had additional options we weren’t planning to order, it was a bit beyond what we wanted to spend. However, we forged on, and made an offer I thought would be rejected outright. To my surprise, the dealership countered with a reasonable increase, and we made the deal. Driving it home the next day was the most fun I have had in a car in close to 40 years, and every single time I get behind the wheel, it brings a huge smile. I just wish we lived somewhere I could drive it all year around, rather than putting it away in the winter. I bought my first Vette at age 65, and I am truly happy I did.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:51 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Our 2020 Z51 3LT Coupe is our 12th Corvette over the years. My first was a '65 Vert back in 1975 when I was 22 years old. I've been infatuated with Vettes since I was about 8 or 10 years old.

I was totally THRILLED with our 2017 3LT GS and had NO desire to replace it. Well, I sat up and had to watch the C8 Reveal on TV on July 18th, 2019 until midnight and after watching it told my wife that I HAD to own one Mid Engine Car in my lifetime..... Next day I called Mike Furman @ Criswell, where I'd bought 3 previous Vettes and Mike said that I would be over #250 on his list. Not likely that I would get a first round allocation ! I then called Kerbeck, where I'd previously bought 4 Vettes and it was basically the same story.

So, I was clicking around and decided to see what Kelly Blue Book would say my 2017 GS was worth and I saw the numbers. Retail and trade values were about what I anticipated. It also had a "Get an Instant Cash Offer" choice. Just for grins I pressed it, and submitted some photos. I knew it would be a low ball number, and it was. Next day, I get a call from a dealer here in PA that I'd not heard of before about 75 minutes north of me. He said he wanted to buy my car from the KBB Instant Offer...... I laughed and said NO way, at that price. When he asked what my intent was, I told him that I wanted to trade it on a new C8 with a dealer that had a GUARANTEED FIRST ROUND allocation, and was selling at MSRP with no additional funny business charges. He told me he had all of that. He asked what I needed to get for my car, which I told him. I sent him additional photos and he said he'd have the owner of this family owned dealership call me shortly.

The owner called me, told me that he had 7 first round allocations, and I would be #5. He said he would give me what I wanted for my GS, if I could bring it right away and trade it in early. He asked if I had the title, etc and I replied yes. I told him that my wife was at the grocery store and should be home in about 30 minutes. He said that if I brought the car up, and we write up a deal, with the GS as a trade ( to save me on sales tax) that they would have someone drive us back home.
When "The Warden" came back from the grocery store, I told her road trip..... I had already gone through our '17 GS and taken out all the personal stuff. We drove up north of Hershey, PA and the deal was done in minutes. They drove us home. Our former GS was sold 2 days later.......

In the meanwhile, we placed our order at 1100 in August, the same day all the full price list was disclosed to dealers for accessories, options, etc. With a first round #5 spot at Klick Lewis Chevy and GM supposed to start manufacturing the C8 on Dec 3, 2019 I was figuring that we'd have our new C8 by the end of Feb 2020........ well GM decided to have a STRIKE for 2 plus months. So they STARTED manufacturing on Feb 3 rather than Dec 3. Then COVID came about and the one shift of manufacturing shut down mid March through much of May 2020 when they restarted manufacturing 1 shift again.

Someone dropped out, so my order was now #4 with the dealer. My order was picked up Jan 17th (if I recall correctly) and went to 3000 a few days later. Our car was built Aug 5, 2020 and then sat at BG for 2 weeks bayed. It arrived at the dealer Aug 30 and we took delivery the following day. NO funny business, NO stupid fees, NO surprises. The car was the absolute CLEANEST, well prepped car we've ever bought.

Unfortunately, I drove home all 62 miles in a DOWNPOUR......

Since then, I've gone down the Carbon Fiber Slippery Slope and put about $30k in Carbon and other performance mods to our C8. Really enjoying this Corvette. Favorite by a mile !!!! Historically, I would be one to sell this, or trade this and have to have another NEWER / Latest Features thing...... such as an E Ray, which would be my likely choice, however, with this being the LONGEST ownership that I've had with this C8 of ANY car in my 55 years of driving I believe this may very well be my last Corvette. Why start all over when I've got this one exactly how I want it ?

I enjoy doing all my own installation of all the mods, including exhaust, intake, carbon fiber everywhere, etc and doing all my own maintenance.

It's been a GREAT car thus far. I did buy an extended warrantee from MacMulkin prior to my factory warrantee expiring.

The following 2 users liked this post by Strake:
Kevin A Jones (04-21-2024), z edge (04-21-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Share Your Own C8 Story

Old 04-21-2024, 07:42 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Thanks for sharing with us. Reminds us that sometimes Corvettes can be much more than just a Car.

Originally Posted by Rky Mtn C6

Rky Mtn C6 (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 07:59 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,808 Likes on 670 Posts

I got my first Corvette in '09 at 45 years old, a '94 coupe with an auto trans and 29K miles. Loved and drove that car for 12 years. In the summer of '20 I got an early retirement present for myself in a '12 GS convertible. Well I loved driving that so much the C4 didn't get used very often so in Jan '21 I traded it in on a '19 1LT A8 coupe. Really liked the C7 over the C6 so traded in the '12 GS for a '16 2LT Z-51 convertible. So for awhile I had two C7's in the garage and was very happy with both.

​​​​​​In early June of '22 I was getting some warranty work done in my pickup and started walking around the dealership (never a good idea) and saw a guy in an office thinking he was the head salesman, turned out to be the GM of the dealership. Started shooting the bull and asked about any C8 allocations he had although I never seriously considered getting one with the wait times and ADM's I kept hearing about. He said he had an incoming car that was unsold as he had ordered it for stock. Asked if I was a Corvette guy, I said yes that I had two. He asked if I'd be interested in trading one in on a new C8, and my first question was "how much" knowing about the aforementioned ADM's. He said since I'm a local guy and have done business there before he offered it at MSRP with no BS add-ons or fees. I gave him the specs on the '19 with the VIN and some pictures, about three days later got an offer for $3K more than I paid for it a year before. When I read over the build of the C8 on order it was exactly as I would have spec'd it has I ordered one.

​​​​​​'23 3LT HTC, AY, yellow stitching, seat belts, calipers and high wing. Front lift, MSRC and non Z-51. Car arrived a week early and I drove it home Aug 4th with the rear wing showing up two weeks later. I just happened to be there doing some paperwork when the transport showed up.

All this was done with no deposit down, just a handshake that it was a done deal. I've logged over 13K trouble free miles and love owning this car as I still do the C7. I know how fortunate I am to be able to have both in my garage.

The following 3 users liked this post by astepup:
bigblock427 (04-21-2024), Fast Dawg (04-22-2024), Kevin A Jones (04-21-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 11:14 AM
DarksideIndy
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

When I was around 6 years old, my parents had bought me a toy car from somewhere. It was a cherry red colored Corvette. From that moment I was hooked. I loved the look of the car and had the dream someday of owning one. Fast forward to today and I am 37 years old, I am picking up my first ever Corvette in 1 week. I have museum delivery scheduled for 4/29 and I cannot wait. Unfortunately, the weather doesn't look to be cooperating(oh no the car will be totaled on my first day because of the rain). We will see as it is still a week out but I am excited and love reading and seeing everything on this forum. I was able to place my order in the February allocation window for under MSRP. I did receive a couple of videos from Auto Armor of the car last Friday which made me even more excited for 4/29 to get here!
Kevin A Jones (04-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Share Your Own C8 Story