Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

underground garages

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 02:52 PM
martins0
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underground garages

I'm about to order a Corvette C8 Stingray and need some advice. I frequently park in steep underground garages and am concerned about the ground clearance and approach angle. Does anyone have experience with parking in such places? Does it cause any issues, or are you just avoiding such parking places altogether? I'd be getting a Corvette equipped with a front lift system for sure, but would it alleviate the potential issue of scratching the chassis? Here's a reference photo of the type of garage I'm talking about. Thank you very much!

Old 04-20-2024, 02:59 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 460 Posts

Looks ok to me.

Old 04-20-2024, 03:07 PM
ohmangus
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I park in a garage like that every week day - no issues.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:11 PM
martins0
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ohmangus
I park in a garage like that every week day - no issues.
Awesome, this is really good news for me! Do you use the front lift? (especially when leaving such a garage and approaching the initial slope)
Old 04-20-2024, 03:12 PM
martins0
5th Gear

Originally Posted by steve8
Looks ok to me.
Thank you for your insight!
Old 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
ohmangus
Advanced

Originally Posted by martins0
Awesome, this is really good news for me! Do you use the front lift? (especially when leaving such a garage and approaching the initial slope)
yes, have the lift gps set.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:37 PM
martins0
5th Gear

Do you think that you wouldn't make it without the lift? And do you still need to approach the incline at an angle? The reason I'm asking is because I will have a fairly small splitter but I can get rid of it if it's already tight.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:48 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

The C8 has more clearance since the C2’s.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:19 PM
ohmangus
Advanced

Do you think that you wouldn't make it without the lift? And do you still need to approach the incline at an angle? The reason I'm asking is because I will have a fairly small splitter but I can get rid of it if it's already tight.
Honestly, I think I'd be fine without having the lift and still make the ramp, but it's nice to have to not have to worry, and with the GPS it's a set it and forget it.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:23 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,653 Likes on 4,329 Posts

Can't really see enough of the ramp in that photo to tell anything. I've scraped the bottom of mine coming out of an underground garage with a very abrupt transision between the ramp and the flat section. Didn't really hurt anything, though.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:03 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,569 Likes on 14,122 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Doesn’t look like it would be steep enough to cause a problem.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:11 AM
martins0
5th Gear

Thank you, guys, much appreciated. That's one less thing to worry about! Does anyone have a picture or an idea of an incline that would cause trouble? I've been driving a Camaro for the last couple of years and I was always able to correctly assess the situation and never scratched it but I recognize that the C8 has got a longer front (but a bigger clearance with the lift). Sorry, I might be overthinking here.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:02 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,779 Likes on 3,044 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'd order the lift option with your new car, better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it
Old 04-21-2024, 09:09 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,291 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I'm about to order a Corvette C8 Stingray and need some advice. I frequently park in steep underground garages and am concerned about the ground clearance and approach angle. Does anyone have experience with parking in such places? Does it cause any issues, or are you just avoiding such parking places altogether? I'd be getting a Corvette equipped with a front lift system for sure, but would it alleviate the potential issue of scratching the chassis? Here's a reference photo of the type of garage I'm talking about. Thank you very much!
I had a very bad experience when I parked underground during my stay at an AirBnB. I had no problem when I drove in unfortunately my C8 bottomed out when I drove out. I heard the worst metal scrapping ever! I raised the car on my lift when I got home all was fine except for the large bolt heads securing the metal plate were are significantly scraped up. The transition from the garage ramp to the outside road is were the issue will be.

To find out if the pitch of the garage is too steep drive you current car up the ramp while a 2nd people (kneeling from side) watches your car slowly drive up the ramp. Have them tell you to stop when your car reaches the closes point your car gets to the pavement. Then measure rhe clearance. If the clearance is closer than 3” you’ll have a problem not scrapping a C8.

The alternative is to get the front lift option.

And if someone says, “just take it at an angle”. THAT DOES NOT HELP IT STILL SCRAPPED!

Last edited by Maxie2U; 04-21-2024 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:40 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,556 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I had a very bad experience when I parked underground during my stay at an AirBnB. I had no problem when I drove in unfortunately my C8 bottomed out when I drove out. I heard the worst metal scrapping ever! I raised the car on my lift when I got home all was fine except for the large bolt heads securing the metal plate were are significantly scraped up. The transition from the garage ramp to the outside road is were the issue will be.

To find out if the pitch of the garage is too steep drive you current car up the ramp while a 2nd people (kneeling from side) watches your car slowly drive up the ramp. Have them tell you to stop when your car reaches the closes point your car gets to the pavement. Then measure rhe clearance. If the clearance is closer than 3” you’ll have a problem not scrapping a C8.

The alternative is to get the front lift option.

And if someone says, “just take it at an angle”. THAT DOES NOT HELP IT STILL SCRAPPED!

@Maxie2U - thanks for the pictures. They illustrate the advice I give when we debate whether or not someone will need front lift. Look at the gouges in the concrete and asphalt in these pictures......and I'm not talking about the cracks.

My advice: drive around where you will normally drive your C8. While driving look at the entrances to places you would frequent. If there are gouges in the concrete/asphalt where you will drive then you need front lift. I have owned Corvettes for 32 years and all of them scraped somewhere I drove them in the Atlanta area. Developers here don't care about how steep or abrupt an entryway is and I frequently see gouges. I have those place programmed into my front lift memory.

Some more advice: if you plan to take road trips in your C8 you will have no idea how the terrain will be at every place you might go. Just one more reason to get it.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 01:37 PM
Jacques Albrecht
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Approach Angle

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
Can't really see enough of the ramp in that photo to tell anything. I've scraped the bottom of mine coming out of an underground garage with a very abrupt transision between the ramp and the flat section. Didn't really hurt anything, though.
I've found that with those steep parking and driveway ramps there's also an issue w/ high centering the car in addition to the front end scraping... so an angled approach is the best solution.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:31 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,291 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques Albrecht
I've found that with those steep parking and driveway ramps there's also an issue w/ high centering the car in addition to the front end scraping... so an angled approach is the best solution.
I can say for a fact….angle approach does NOT work.
Fast Dawg (04-21-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 04:39 AM
Jacques Albrecht
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 86 Posts
Default My Bad

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I can say for a fact….angle approach does NOT work.
Should have written: "The angled approach / drive works best for me..." My 2020 C8 Z51 coup w/MAG ride option is @ OEM height (not lowered) and I have to angle approach those steep driveways & parking ramps or it will high-center and scrape the undercarriage. Also the front can be an issue as well but a front lift will help with that problem. If there's a better method to prevent / avoid high-centering, please advise.
Fast Dawg (04-22-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To underground garages

Quick Reply: underground garages