Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registeration Costs Out of state Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 09:43 AM
Chris Landowski
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Registeration Costs Out of state Purchase

. I hope someone can help me with this. If I purchase a C8 out of state, do I have to pay that state for title and registration? I found a c8 In Minnesota their registration and title fee are 1800.00. Registration in Illinois is 350.00 Which one do I pay, or do I pay both? Do I pay that states sales tax? Then pay the difference once I register it in Illinois. Illinois sales tax much higher than Minnesota. Does anyone know how this works. Salesman I'm dealing with can't answer all my questions.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:49 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Landowski
. I hope someone can help me with this. If I purchase a C8 out of state, do I have to pay that state for title and registration? I found a c8 In Minnesota their registration and title fee are 1800.00. Registration in Illinois is 350.00 Which one do I pay, or do I pay both? Do I pay that states sales tax? Then pay the difference once I register it in Illinois. Illinois sales tax much higher than Minnesota. Does anyone know how this works. Salesman I'm dealing with can't answer all my questions.

Sounds like one heck of a salesman.

Whenever I bought a vehicle from out of state, I paid my sales tax upon return to my own state - with one exception... I once bought a car in Florida and paid sales tax there, got it plated in Florida and drove it home. My paperwork was stamped, "Sales Tax Paid" and I did not have to pay sales tax when I got home and titled here.

Since you are not registering it in Minn., I'd buy it, have them put a temp tag on it, then drive it home and pay in your home state where you will title it.

Regardless, I would not pay any dealer doc fees, as clearly the dealer isn't earning anything by answering questions. They are order takes and could be replaced by AI at any moment.
The following 4 users liked this post by *89x2*:
Chris Landowski (04-07-2024), Lit (04-07-2024), marshal135 (04-08-2024), Space Truckin (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 09:57 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 183 Posts

You pay your states costs. Usually the dealer can handle all the paperwork and collect the taxes and fees for your state but often times they can't so they give you a bill of sale and a temp tag and you pay when you register and title it in your state. If you have a dealer that does not know that is a red flag as that's their business...
The following 3 users liked this post by EvanD:
bullmarket (04-07-2024), Fast Dawg (04-08-2024), Space Truckin (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 10:08 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Landowski
My experience was this...
Bought a Z06 from a CF member who lives in NC. We both went to a local convenient DMV branch office in a shopping center. I paid my FL sales tax on the vehicle based on my home county's tax rate. This is done under "reciprocity" between member states. Of course proof of insurance was required. Rec'd a temporary paper tag and went on my way. Nancy had a hard time keeping up with me. Got home and prior to exp date I went to my local tax collector in FL and completed registration for title & metal plate. Since the tax had already been collected in NC under reciprocity I paid that tax only once. The entire process painless w/no dupli fees. Now the Q is... does MN and IL have reciprocity between their states? If so, you only pay tax once. Other incidental fees may apply of course. I used DMV as a 'general' term. Some states call theirs MVA, or the like. Also, some DMV's are not so-convenient as at a nearby shopping center. MVA in MD was huge and a long wait. Gather info ahead of time like you are doing. You could also call.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:05 AM
mikegr
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 107 Posts

Massachusetts, you would just pay cost of car out of state and then pay tax, tile and reg at Mass RVM once you have all the paperwork and insurance for the car. They do not offer temp tags. This is going to vary by state so likely easiest thing is look up the process on your states RMV, Im sure it is listed, it is in our state.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:14 AM
Chris Landowski
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Big Thank You to everyone. Answered a lot of my questions.
The following users liked this post:
cor28vettes (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 11:15 AM
Capt. Obvious
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanD
You pay your states costs. Usually the dealer can handle all the paperwork and collect the taxes and fees for your state but often times they can't so they give you a bill of sale and a temp tag and you pay when you register and title it in your state. If you have a dealer that does not know that is a red flag as that's their business...
This is what occurred when I bought my car from McMulkin and drove it home to CT. Was easy with no hassles.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:23 AM
BRONCOSRUL
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Should be the state you live in. I moved from Florida to Georgia about a year ago. Had a 2022 Camaro ZL1 AND 2023 Silverado RST. To register them in Georgia the state charges 6% of the cars value (I have no idea where they get the info KBB, Edmonds,etc.). So it cost me around $3400 and that was for a first time registration with only half of the mystery value at 3% for 1st time registers. Cost my wife $1300 for a 2023 GMC Acadia.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:53 AM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

I bought from Macmulkin but live in another state and picked my car up at the Museum. I had to show MM and the Museum that I paid registration and had a license plate from my state before I got the car.
bullmarket (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 12:59 PM
Zormecteon
Drifting

Received 1,376 Likes on 674 Posts

Different states have different rules and tax rates.

I bought a car in California and paid the sales tax there at the time of purchase. I drove home and when registering the car in Washington, which has a higher sales tax rate, I paid the difference only to Washington State.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:35 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

In Maryland, if the owner of a vehicle registered in Md assigns or otherwise transfers his title or interest in the vehicle, the registration of the vehicle expires, unless the owner gives the transferee written permission to use the existing registration plates for up to 10 days. If the owner does not give written permission, the owner shall remove the plates from the vehicle upon transfer.

After 24 hrs of the expiration, no one, other than the person to whom the plates were originally issued, may have the plates in his possession, whether or not they are in use. Owner may transfer the plates to another vehicle as provided by MD law.

Article 66 1/2
Section 13-501
Old 04-07-2024, 01:41 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Any in TX that knows TX law on topic?
Old 04-07-2024, 03:01 PM
Danno1
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

In general - Sales tax and registration are paid to your state of legal residence. If out of state dealer collects any taxes, that amount will be credited to you, in your state of legal residence. Out of state dealer may want a small transfer/temp license fee however, everything else they collect, that’s required by your state of legal residence, will be credited to any amounts owed in your state.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:07 PM
Revmanii
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanD
This was my experience buying a slightly used C8 from a Chevy dealer in Louisiana. I was told they could do the paperwork, collect the tax (for NY), register/title etc, but it would take more time, and would cost me an extra $250 admin fee if I remember correctly. So I opted for the temp tag and registered/titled/paid the taxes myself in NY a couple weeks later after getting it home. The temp tag was a 2 month tag, so I was able to put off paying the sales tax for a little bit .

Last edited by Revmanii; 04-07-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:53 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,517 Likes on 786 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Danno1
In general - Sales tax and registration are paid to your state of legal residence. If out of state dealer collects any taxes, that amount will be credited to you, in your state of legal residence. Out of state dealer may want a small transfer/temp license fee however, everything else they collect, that’s required by your state of legal residence, will be credited to any amounts owed in your state.
Exactly how it worked for me buying my car at Criswell in MD and registering in AZ.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:15 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

Your state only, though it may have to go through the out-of-state dealer initially, as did my last such purchase some years ago from Kerbecks, who then wrote me a check to my DMV when I picked-up the car. All the best.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:01 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by cor28vettes
Any in TX that knows TX law on topic?
In 2019 I bought a 2009 Stingray from a dealer in San Antonio. I live in Georgia and they collected the taxes, etc.....before I flew in to pick up the car and all I did was drive it home and the plates arrived in the mail from Georgia a few weeks later. From that experience I can say they have reciprocity with Georgia.
cor28vettes (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 02:18 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by BRONCOSRUL
Should be the state you live in. I moved from Florida to Georgia about a year ago. Had a 2022 Camaro ZL1 AND 2023 Silverado RST. To register them in Georgia the state charges 6% of the cars value (I have no idea where they get the info KBB, Edmonds,etc.). So it cost me around $3400 and that was for a first time registration with only half of the mystery value at 3% for 1st time registers. Cost my wife $1300 for a 2023 GMC Acadia.
I have another Georgia horror story. When I lived in Illinois in 2012 I leased a Lexus SUV for my wife in Georgia while we were visiting my daughter. We owned a condo in Georgia where my daughter lived while attending college and she was still living there. I paid the Illinois taxes and we drove the Lexus back to Illinois. In 2013 Georgia passed the TAVT (Title Ad Valorem Tax) law where they charge 6% of the fair market value of the vehicle which is determined by the Georgia Department of Revenue. My plan was to pay off the Lexus when we moved back to Georgia and I retired in 2014. When we registered the Lexus in Georgia in 2013 after we moved here I was charged $3k for the TAVT. I paid it off a eight months later and went to get a clear title. I was charged the $3k TAVT again!

Get notified of new replies

To Registeration Costs Out of state Purchase

Quick Reply: Registeration Costs Out of state Purchase