Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Corvette Ownership Angst?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 11:41 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Your Corvette Ownership Angst?

Mine is dealing with service department at any Chevy dealer in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. They all are horrible! Looking to spend 100k on a new C8 and have a severe case of angst in regard to ownership because of it. Let's face it, stuff breaks, you'll have warranty items, there is no avoiding the dealership at some point. Crappy customer service and even crappier work!
Old 04-06-2024, 11:46 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixgun95
Mine is dealing with service department at any Chevy dealer in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. They all are horrible! Looking to spend 100k on a new C8 and have a severe case of angst in regard to ownership because of it. Let's face it, stuff breaks, you'll have warranty items, there is no avoiding the dealership at some point. Crappy customer service and even crappier work!
Best suggestion is to join the local Corvette club. Lot of valuable experience there. For instance in our club we knew that to get good service you needed to start with the service advisor who was a motorhead. There were 4 other advisors and you'd not want to deal with a couple of them.
The following 3 users liked this post by Greg00Coupe:
Fast Dawg (04-07-2024), jwt1603 (04-06-2024), Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-07-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 01:53 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 179 Posts

Same crap here. A few years ago the dealerships had decent advisors and techs, 10 years ago they were even pretty good ones. Now it's all a crap shoot. Promises from the advisors that really have no clue how a car works, it seems, and then half assed, at best, work from the supposedly trained mechanic.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:05 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,941 Likes on 2,673 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Sorry to hear!

I've had very good experiences with Service Dept here in So AZ at Watson Chevrolet over the past year....I purchased my C8 through MacMulkin and also used Watson as my Courtesy Dealership and they did an amazing job with my delivery and PDI....

Sounds like it's time to explore another Dealership Service Dept in your area...
Old 04-06-2024, 02:07 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Regarding service, my dealer is Criswell Gaithersburg. I have no issues with the service being done properly. There is service writer there that does all the Corvettes - and she know and understands the required services etc. As for price, well its in the area dominated by Baltimore Washington Metropolitan area, so prices are high. So there is that. And it 20 couple miles away. I could go to a local Chevy dealer that I use for my Suburban, but I won't.

I guess the other angst is getting over the newness, the fear of parking next to others etc. I can fit into most parking spaces, and would maybe park there, but the I can't swing the doors open far enough to get out. So, I spend a little time finding a parking space.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:16 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Have you tried Earnhardt in Chandler? Formerly Thorobred. I've had good service from them on my C6, two C7s and my C8 since 2007. I wouldn't touch their sales department with a 10 ft pole but their service has been very good for me over the years. A bit of a drive from Scottsdale but might be worth a try.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Myfourth1
Have you tried Earnhardt in Chandler? Formerly Thorobred. I've had good service from them on my C6, two C7s and my C8 since 2007. I wouldn't touch their sales department with a 10 ft pole but their service has been very good for me over the years. A bit of a drive from Scottsdale but might be worth a try.
Have not tried Earnhardt in Chandler but I am willing to give it a go when needed. Is there a particular advisor that you can recommend? FWIW I am very near Van Chevrolet, 8 years ago they were good, then went down hill fast. Last 4 visits were nothing but a nightmare from mechanics who were clueless. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2024, 02:22 PM
Waterline
Racer

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Many

Mine are:
American designed
American Built
GM product
Poor quality and design of major/crucial parts
Lack of warranty replacement parts in inventory
And expectations of warranty covering poor design and assembly quality to cover aforementioned issues
Buyers being OK with the above issues and happy with thinking the warranty taking place of quality improvements

Sound harsh? It is. And I have to say with 4700 miles on my 2023, I have only had to bring it in for the auto headlight staying on problem. But in the back of my mind while I drive it, I am just waiting for some major component to fail and then have to go through the headaches that lots of others have and are currently going through.

I know "don't worry about it. Just drive it. You have a warranty".
The following users liked this post:
Sixgun95 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 02:23 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 179 Posts

I seem to explore dealers every time I go to one as they turn over people so often. I used to like Victory Chevrolet when they were in Gastonia but then they moved and the last time i had them do something I swore I would never let my shadow fall on their property again, it was that bad. Next closest is Gastonia and I liked them too but this last time in for a oil change and a DCT filter change has me never going back. Lots of "sure we do this and that" and then only about half what they said actually happened after asking multiple times and then when I changed my DCT fluid found all my shear plate bolt heads stripped and the plate not installed properly. ***After that I went back and looked at the oil filter/ DCT filter invoice and I am 100% sure they didn't do a flush as required and did not top off the DCT fluid afterwards. Next closest is Parks and years ago that's where I use to take my C4 and C6. Years ago they lost what I thought was a good mechanic but maybe one of the good mechanics now works there??? Who knows, it seems to be a crap shoot. Not close is City Chevrolet... Biggest dealer in the area. have never had anything serviced by them.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:03 PM
gdb069
Burning Brakes

Received 609 Likes on 331 Posts

I belong to a few forums and most (including this one) are great. However I joined the Canadian Corvette forum and every thread became a long, boring blab-fest between two moderators so almost no information forthcoming. I was so unhappy that rather than just ignoring I actually had them cancel my account so I would no longer be tempted to waste time. I am not missing that forum at all. My guess is they read this forum in order to get info.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:21 PM
MitchSpence
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 153 Posts

Yes, it would be fun to buy and own a car it it weren’t for dealerships. ( I don’t have a solution, I’m just saying). Sigh.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:44 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by MitchSpence
Yes, it would be fun to buy and own a car it it weren’t for dealerships. ( I don’t have a solution, I’m just saying). Sigh.
Unfortunately it's likely to get worse. With more and more hybrids and BEVs the real mechanics will be long gone.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:55 PM
JToddH
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 149 Posts
Default The whole “Infotaiment” system on ‘24 Z51 HTC

I purchased a damn near fully-optioned SR, still everything electronic is pushing subscriptions.

1. No native Nav? WTF?

2. OnStar wants a subscription to provide the most basic app features, or to even connect to the app.

3. EVERY TIME I open Google Maps, it is asking for a subscription.

4. If you build music collections on USB, you can only scroll through the first few selections before a warning stops from further scrolling while driving. NO DOUBT this is to dissuade free music options to push you towards subscription-based services like Sirius which I bet doesn’t have limited scrolling while driving.

5. AM that I traditionally use for talk radio, blows donkey *****. Again, free radio is discouraged!

6. Of course OnStar’s onboard spyware has damaged my C8 owner’s experience more than any other aspect.

Make no mistake, I LOVE my C8, but I absolutely loathe GM with the fire of a thousand suns…primarily for tainting an otherwise fantastic experience.
The following users liked this post:
rmorin1249 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 05:16 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 1,253 Likes on 518 Posts

Zero angst. In fact, after buying overpriced European cars for years, I feel like I stole it when driving.
The following 5 users liked this post by Bluehinder:
Acpantera (04-07-2024), Fast Dawg (04-07-2024), Kevin A Jones (04-06-2024), Vega$Vette (04-07-2024), Zormecteon (04-07-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 05:23 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Describe your poor Chevrolet dealership service experiences then?

I can't remember any truly memorable poor experiences related to Chevrolet dealership services on any occasion. Just don't remember any Chevrolet dealer caused big service downfalls here......
Old 04-06-2024, 06:56 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by JToddH
I purchased a damn near fully-optioned SR, still everything electronic is pushing subscriptions.

1. No native Nav? WTF?

2. OnStar wants a subscription to provide the most basic app features, or to even connect to the app.

3. EVERY TIME I open Google Maps, it is asking for a subscription.

4. If you build music collections on USB, you can only scroll through the first few selections before a warning stops from further scrolling while driving. NO DOUBT this is to dissuade free music options to push you towards subscription-based services like Sirius which I bet doesn’t have limited scrolling while driving.

5. AM that I traditionally use for talk radio, blows donkey *****. Again, free radio is discouraged!

6. Of course OnStar’s onboard spyware has damaged my C8 owner’s experience more than any other aspect.

Make no mistake, I LOVE my C8, but I absolutely loathe GM with the fire of a thousand suns…primarily for tainting an otherwise fantastic experience.
It's all about profit and GM is doing everything it can. Ms. Barra loves it.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:01 PM
Markamen
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

I have not had any issues with my dealer. I did not but my Corvette from my local dealer as they had a ver limited number of allocations. I have had my car serviced there twice and both experiences were exceptional. I was well taken care of and my car was handled with the utmost care.

I actually know the service manager at the dealership but did not make it a point to let him know I was making an appt or when I was coming in for service. I was not expecting any preferential treatment. This dealership has exceptional reviews and being this is my first Chevrolet I was not hesitant to take my car there for service.

Get notified of new replies

To Your Corvette Ownership Angst?

Old 04-06-2024, 08:19 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,511 Likes on 782 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I deal with Sands in Surprise and have had issues with them.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:36 PM
JustnRiptide
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JToddH
I purchased a damn near fully-optioned SR, still everything electronic is pushing subscriptions.…….
Everything posted here is the reason I feel this will be my final Corvette. They are intentionally alienating a portion of their customer base that includes me and is a bitter pill to swallow.

I don’t hate my z06; I really like it, but it’s not the beginning and the end of the car community. Time of my life where my next car will probably be a performance SUV, and I like my apple just a little too much to sacrifice it every time I get in my car.

but look on the bright side, it’ll be one less spot on the reservation list if something doesn’t change.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:10 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,783 Likes on 5,625 Posts

No Angst, it's ALL GOOD. IT's great owning a sportscars that revels supercars costing 4 times as much for the price of a upper end SUV or Pickup.

Quick Reply: Your Corvette Ownership Angst?