Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DCT fluid drain - Preventive measure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 02:47 PM
Mark9
Pro

Received 642 Likes on 286 Posts

Always good to use brass as it's softer. But not sure how softer than the aluminum case. The risk reward isn't there for me. If installing the drain fill adapter then I'd be good with it as it's normally a one time install. Mess up the drain plug, replace the pan. Mess up the fill plug hole especially when having 2 extra liters, big problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark9:
Andybump (04-03-2024), V Vette (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 08:59 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My choice for the brass fitting with the hose barb was not a long term application. I hand screwed it in, with NO tools and not 100% of the way in just long enough to fill the DCT with fluid. Then it was removed.... by hand. I could have just held the clear plastic hose in there with NO fitting, but risk that it would fall out, or my shoulder give out holding it. It's only intended as a temporary means of holding the fill hose in place. Had I found a plastic one of the proper size that would what I ordered, but found this for a reasonable price, and bought it.
The following users liked this post:
Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 09:02 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Ron_Attleboro_MA
AndyBump, are you sure that the M20x1.5 is the correct thread? If so, that is what I want to avoid spilling out the opening.

YES.... M20 X 1.5 is the correct thread for the DCT FILL PLUG hole.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:02 AM
22c8z51
Pro

Received 383 Likes on 196 Posts

I look forward to a time when the DCT can be rebuilt instead of replacing the whole box for $20,000.

ZF 8HP90 (strong enough for dodge demon, and an absolute UNIT - fantastic transmission) full overhaul kit is $1,055
Old 04-04-2024, 01:18 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,939 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark9
Love it. Now let's see how well the C8's DCT holds up over the long term. It ain't no standard or slush box. I hope they got it right but really think they didn't. Why would Maserati that uses the same DCT call for 9300 mile DCT filter changes and not 22.5K like GM? Money grab? Doubt it. GM got the trans fluid wrong on the C7 and it took 2 or 3 attempts to get it right. I choose to over maintain mine especially since GM hasn't figured out how to have the spares logistics in place to promptly deal with warranty issues. If my DCT failed and I could get the car back in a week or two I wouldn't be worried. But too many stories of very long wait times.
Originally Posted by V Vette
Do the letters D.C.T. ring a bell? Not sure if any of your vettes had that before ? I understand its the achilles heel of this car..
Taking another road trip later today (4/4)... when I get back I'll have around 22K on mine. If something SHOULD happen to my car then I'll deal with it.

Heaven forbid, I might be forced to go back to DDing the Ferrari. There are C8s out there with thousands upon thousands of trouble free miles. I mentioned to someone the other day that one of the service advisors at a dealership I had just bought a "park at the airport" car told me he has a customer than has 68K miles on his. And the guy I told this to said he has a friend that has 85K on his. As I said, if something happens I'll deal with it then..... but, either way, I'm not going to

Last edited by 4thC4at60; 04-04-2024 at 01:20 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 04-04-2024, 01:36 AM
Mitchell_B
Pro

Received 580 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_Attleboro_MA
Changing engine or DCT fluid early can only extend the like of the engine or DCT. Too bad DCT fluid is so damn expensive.
I would like the part number of the DCT fill plug. I would like to drill out and insert a tube and hose to aid in filling.
For reference, I changed the DCT external filter for the second time (550 miles was the first filter change) and drained & refilled the unit at 2365 miles. Attached is the oil analysis of the fluid at that 2365 mile change.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mitchell_B:
NorthernProducer (04-04-2024), Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-04-2024), Steve Armstrong (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 05:57 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 450 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Taking another road trip later today (4/4)... when I get back I'll have around 22K on mine. If something SHOULD happen to my car then I'll deal with it.

Heaven forbid, I might be forced to go back to DDing the Ferrari. There are C8s out there with thousands upon thousands of trouble free miles. I mentioned to someone the other day that one of the service advisors at a dealership I had just bought a "park at the airport" car told me he has a customer than has 68K miles on his. And the guy I told this to said he has a friend that has 85K on his. As I said, if something happens I'll deal with it then..... but, either way, I'm not going to
Glad your having no issues, especially since you also have a prancing horse! Unfortunately, I don't and need to do whatever it takes to keep my car healthy. AND there are too may DCT issues out there so we need to beware! v
Old 04-04-2024, 09:37 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 288 Likes on 180 Posts

I replaced my fluid a couple weeks ago. I bought the recommended nipple but it was the wrong size so I just put the tube through the hole and filled from the wheel well with the wheel removed. Did it at the 15deg angle to put the extra in (2020). I could use a flashlight and see the level through the fill hole. I took out 7 1/2 (by memory) and 8.2 got me to level full and 9.8 to at an angle full. I had bought 10qt so that was really good. Got it from Rock auto.
The following 3 users liked this post by EvanD:
JimB. (04-04-2024), Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-04-2024), V Vette (04-09-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 09:56 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanD
I replaced my fluid a couple weeks ago. I bought the recommended nipple but it was the wrong size so I just put the tube through the hole and filled from the wheel well with the wheel removed. Did it at the 15deg angle to put the extra in (2020). I could use a flashlight and see the level through the fill hole. I took out 7 1/2 (by memory) and 8.2 got me to level full and 9.8 to at an angle full. I had bought 10qt so that was really good. Got it from Rock auto.
What size was the wrong size? M20x1.5?
Old 04-04-2024, 10:53 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Cool... any tips on how you supported car on angle, did you go all the way under to get to plug, fill method, ? What size diameter tubing, etc.. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2024, 10:57 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Yes but the package had been opened when I bought it. I just did a visual with the plug and shrugged and then just put the clear tube in the fill hole itself. worked like a charm.

Originally Posted by Andybump
What size was the wrong size? M20x1.5?
Old 04-04-2024, 11:03 AM
EvanD
Drifting

I jacked up the rear with two jacks and put two stands under, pulled the drivers side rear wheel, pulled the shear plate, drained. Lowered to level and put in the side plug to full (to see what it would take and the determine if I wanted to add the extra 2qt.). I then decided to add and jacked the car up evenly sideways 12" (trig says that's about 15deg) and added to full through the wheel well.

Other than the shear plate and some previous owner/ service person had rounded the eTorx bolts it was quite easy.

1/2" id 10' from Lowes but used about 4', 3' even would have been okay.

Cool... any tips on how you supported car on angle, did you go all the way under to get to plug, fill method, ? What size diameter tubing, etc.. Thanks!

Last edited by EvanD; 04-04-2024 at 11:08 AM.
V Vette (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 11:13 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Yes but the package had been opened when I bought it. I just did a visual with the plug and shrugged and then just put the clear tube in the fill hole itself. worked like a charm.
I guess what I am trying to get to though, is do you think that M20x1.5 is the wrong thread. That is, if the package was opened, perhaps the wrong item was in the package. Do you know what the correct thread is for the fill plug? Two folks above indicate it was correct, and one claims to have used it. Here also is a link to a post that claims its M20x1.5 as well.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...read-size.html
Old 04-04-2024, 12:09 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Simply I don’t know…
Andybump (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:49 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Thanks Andy, Im not tracking car but figured with all the DCT concerns, draining and filling with fresh fluid won't hurt before required service . So I would tilt car on side, will this method allow the full 11 qts? v
If not track fill then just do what the Great C8 trained tech on my 3 year all DCT Fluid replaced. NO need to tilt anything. That is not a safe practice even though some do it!

You'll find when the last drop is drained it will take 10 Liters (some is left in filter hosing etc.

Did it all from under the car. Need to remove the aluminum pad to: 1) remove the drain plug remove the DCT fluid 2) to access the fill plug. He is putting that hose into the check level/fill hole. Just need to hunt for that fitting.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-04-2024 at 12:55 PM.
V Vette (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 01:19 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU

Did it all from under the car. Need to remove the aluminum pad to: 1) remove the drain plug remove the DCT fluid 2) to access the fill plug. He is putting that hose into the check level/fill hole. Just need to hunt for that fitting.
Jerry, are you saying you can get to both the drain plug and the fill plug on the transmission without removing a belly panel? I did not know that. The manual call for removal of a panel to access those.

Old 04-04-2024, 01:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
NOPE! I said: Need to remove the aluminum aero pan to: 1) remove the drain plug remove the DCT fluid 2) to access the fill plug.

Fixed typo pad to pan and added aero!

Get notified of new replies

To DCT fluid drain - Preventive measure?

Old 04-04-2024, 01:48 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Lets say shear plate as that's what it's called. Yes, no reason to tilt if not adding more than the regular fill. I don't see what is unsafe about jacking up the side of the car. Your trained mechanic has a stupid way to refill the DCT in my opinion.

Andy, the fill plug can be gotten too (both to remove and to install and retorque in the wheel well. I see no way to get to the drain, especially to get a torque wrench on it afterwards, without dropping the shear plate, which in the end wasn't that hard to do.
The following 3 users liked this post by EvanD:
Andybump (04-04-2024), JimB. (04-04-2024), V Vette (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 01:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Lets say shear plate as that's what it's called. Yes, no reason to tilt if not adding more than the regular fill. I don't see what is unsafe about jacking up the side of the car. Your trained mechanic has a stupid way to refill the DCT in my opinion.

Andy, the fill plug can be gotten too (both to remove and to install and retorque in the wheel well. I see no way to get to the drain, especially to get a torque wrench on it afterwards, without dropping the shear plate, which in the end wasn't that hard to do.
My trained mechanic does everything by the book! No smart dealer would let his tech tilt the car and fill that way. That is stupid and unsafe. Chuck the tech in the dealership where Conti makes video's said exactly that.

In fact , when that was posted, in the same thread I estimated it would take 15 degrees. That was June 2020- here is the post or you can search! Since I have seen the way folks jack the car to do that and it's totally unsafe. I now put a STOP sign on that post!

Do as you wish BUT calling this great Tech stupid makes you totally ignorant in my book! It's the way others in the shop fill transmissions!
Old 04-04-2024, 02:01 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

I jacked up the rear with two jacks and put two stands under, pulled the drivers side rear wheel, pulled the shear plate, drained. Lowered to level and put in the side plug to full (to see what it would take and the determine if I wanted to add the extra 2qt.). I then decided to add and jacked the car up evenly sideways 12" (trig says that's about 15deg) and added to full through the wheel well.

Other than the shear plate and some previous owner/ service person had rounded the eTorx bolts it was quite easy.

1/2" id 10' from Lowes but used about 4', 3' even would have been okay.
Thanks Evan!

Quick Reply: DCT fluid drain - Preventive measure?