Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other Maintenance Coming up

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 01:58 PM
davelv
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Other Maintenance Coming up

Just noticed that engine coolant and brake fluids have 5 year change cycle.

So in addition to DCT fluid every 3 years, a C8 has nearly $2/day maintenance cost in first six years.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:02 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,202 Likes on 3,403 Posts

And I wonder what the 7 year AC desiccant change is going to cost.

It is a lot less if you do your own maintenance. The DCT filter change and the desiccant change are the only ones I can't do myself because I don't have the tools. And I'm hoping a reasonably priced bidirectional scan tool comes out that can actually do the DCT hydraulic system flush.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:04 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,944 Posts

The only out of the ordinary service requirements for the C8 are the DCT fluid & filter changes, otherwise its inline with just about any other vehicle on the road today, especially other GM vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kracka:
kromdom (04-02-2024), MikeinAZ (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 11:06 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,424 Likes on 14,040 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Proper maintenance does cost a bit unless you do it yourself.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:33 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

Be glad you don’t have a Porsche. Maintenance costs are crazy.
The following 3 users liked this post by z06inVB:
Blue Curvette (04-03-2024), hamta (04-03-2024), See8 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 07:51 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,830 Likes on 2,277 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
And I wonder what the 7 year AC desiccant change is going to cost.

It is a lot less if you do your own maintenance. The DCT filter change and the desiccant change are the only ones I can't do myself because I don't have the tools. And I'm hoping a reasonably priced bidirectional scan tool comes out that can actually do the DCT hydraulic system flush.
Changing out brake fluid is a job I could do, but hate. I do that on my 1960 vette and 1837 ford (that was modified for juice brakes), and I really hate it. Also a task that has some consequences if neglected. I learned that hard way, the mess that develops, slowly an without symptoms - at least with older brake systems. Dirt and water does its work. I should have also paid attention to the hydraulic clutch on my 1998 vette - but did not - and that too resulted in clutch issues.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:32 AM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You can slide on the brake fluid and coolant, but there’s reasons not to. Any car benefits from this, but typically vehicles where there’s interest in having the life span be extremely long in years, like a sports car or high end vehicle, get more recommended maintenance.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic and basically absorbs moisture and lowers its own boiling point that can lead to sudden loss of braking when boiled, and before that a sponge pedal as water is compressible unlike the brake fluid. Basically changing it removes garbage in the fluid from decomp of hoses, **** that made it past seals and the water, resetting to factory performance and lengthening the life of anything in the system it touches.

Coolant similarly is more than meets the eye, theres anti corrosion chemicals in there that helps parts last longer. You change it on a regular basis and you will run cooler, have fewer leaks and fewer repairs; that said, it’s not an infinite life hack for hoses, seals and gaskets. They have a service interval as well, but preventative maintaining the system will likely extend the life of the bits the coolant touches.

Anyone who thinks preventative maintenance is expensive gets sticker shock on reactive maintenance aka repairs. I’ve also never been able to tear an engine or system in a car and tell what fancy brand a fluid was (make sure it’s the correct type of fluid), but I’ve definitely noticed when they deferred changes.
The following users liked this post:
Andybump (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 08:51 AM
Mark9
Pro

Received 644 Likes on 287 Posts

Agree on everything above except water in and of itself is not compressible. If it turns to steam or vapor due to heat at the caliper or wheel cylinder it'll cause a soft pedal and in the C8 trip the fade warning.
AzDave47 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 09:14 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,830 Likes on 2,277 Posts

Default consequence of neglect

Here a little more on my experience with neglecting the brake fluid. I thought my brakes were fine. No sponge. Everything was fine till I noticed it would pull to one side (meaning the other side was not braking) when first braking after sitting overnight or longer. Then it would seem to be fine, but I decided to investigate. My theory about all this is that the brake fluid did collect water. The water caused rust/corrosion. The rust/dirt clogged the brake lines and also corroded the wheel cylinder. I replaced all the cylinders and all of the rubber brake lines (which also were collapsing internally due age if nothing else. External inspection did not show any of this going on.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:12 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,202 Likes on 3,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
Here a little more on my experience with neglecting the brake fluid. I thought my brakes were fine. No sponge. Everything was fine till I noticed it would pull to one side (meaning the other side was not braking) when first braking after sitting overnight or longer. Then it would seem to be fine, but I decided to investigate. My theory about all this is that the brake fluid did collect water. The water caused rust/corrosion. The rust/dirt clogged the brake lines and also corroded the wheel cylinder. I replaced all the cylinders and all of the rubber brake lines (which also were collapsing internally due age if nothing else. External inspection did not show any of this going on.

Yes, brake fluid is hygroscopic and will draw moisture out of the air. I've serviced a lot of older vehicles where it caused problems. It will pit the master and wheel cylinders, especially where the seals seat, making them irreparable although some places can sleeve or plate them if replacements are unobtanium.

Older vehicles had vents in the brake and clutch master cylinders where moisture could enter. I believe most newer vehicles have diaphragms in the brake master cylinder reservoir to keep them hermetically sealed. I know GM has been using brake master cylinders with diaphragms for decades. But some moisture can still enter through the seals.

I use a brake fluid moisture meter so I don't change my fluid as often as some manuals require and some cars don't have a scheduled brake fluid change. I also live in a relatively low humidity environment. But I plan on changing my C8's fluid at least once since I purchased an extended warranty.

I normally use a vacuum bleeder (less mess) but they aren't allowed for the C8 and I don't have a pressure bleeder. From the posts I've seen you can bleed the C8 brakes the old fashioned two person way and gravity bleeding also works. Or I'll buy a pressure bleeder if I need to.
Andybump (04-03-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Other Maintenance Coming up

Quick Reply: Other Maintenance Coming up