Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Google Infotainment on new C8s

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 08:28 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

When I startup and hit the steering wheel button it asks for a data plan but if I hit the mic button on screen, google assistant works like a charm. I have an Android phone and use Google assistant. With it or without it, big brother is collecting data. I will NEVER buy any other GM product because I despise of OnStar. I just love the Corvette too much to let the Google infotainment system discourage me.
The following users liked this post:
khearon23 (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 09:16 AM
sowega
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 114 Posts

I took a look at the 2024 system over the weekend - it's noticeably different from my 22, but it defaults to Carplay the same way. I can't imagine it would be the sort of thing that keeps me out of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by sowega:
khearon23 (04-02-2024), RKCRLR (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 03:05 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

Received 522 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by khearon23
I took a short drive today. No destination in mind; just a quick 150 mile round trip. Not one message asking me to subscribe to anything. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I turned something off when I logged in. Also, I haven't even received anything from OnStar since the day I took delivery. Regarding the infotainment, to me, it's all the same. Google account or a myChevrolet account. This is the future people. All of these CarPlay and Android Auto agreements with OEMs are coming to an end. It's been 10 long years. GM and others will be rolling out their own operating systems... especially with EVs. This Android Automotive OS is the first look with GM, but I think it will probably be kept alive in ICE vehicles that remain in production. This infotainment issue is so polarizing that I'm afraid it may bring back the oldest part of car buying. Some good ole test drives.

Also, I am one who is happy they removed factory navigation. It was always outdated and poorly designed. Audi is the lone OEM exception. I would take this over Tesla's system any day! I hope you guys thinking about selling don't get taken to the cleaners too bad over this. I can't say that the experience is worth selling the car.
I’m actually pondering dumping the car before I get past break in… all this crap distracts so much from what I thought the experience of owning this car would be…. It’s much worse right now because we are just coming out of winter here so there hasn’t been any great driving experiences to offset the noise and news about gm, LexisNexis and their horrendous “practices”.

There is a very attractive and attractively priced vintage mid engine Ferrari for sale very close to me that I’m seriously considering going to test drive. Recently serviced and only 14k miles…. And although I’ve owned a few 911’s they were water cooled and an air cooled 911 is definitely on my list.

Also completely disagree on the factory Nav… regardless of how much I use it factory on board Nav is a great thing to have in a stand alone vehicle….

Anything that requires a “connection” to something outside of my car is not something I’m interested in and the opposite of what cars mean to me…

The car manufacturers want to create their own infotainment systems for two reasons.
1) prepare you for forced conversion to EVs… because EVs current technology is so inferior to internal combustion the car manufacturers don’t want you planning your own routes/trips because the range is never what they say and people are significantly inconvenienced when they have to go far of their desired route to find a working charger. By combining the Nav with the onboard systems that are constantly evaluating the battery and your driving… the car tells you when to start looking for a charger and how to get there.

2) They think they can turn your car into a constant revenue stream which they believe they need because EVs are much more expensive to produce than internal combustion and as China owns the supply chain cost will only increase. EV prices long term are not going down…. Putting private car ownership out of reach for many unless the car makers have these other revenue streams.

3) Conspiracy Theorists will claim there are other reasons… like the ability to instantly disable your constantly connected vehicle…. Especially easy with EV systems…

Regardless where you fall on the desire for privacy scale… no one will convince me having my car be constantly connected, tracked, evaluated, my driving evaluated, my car be changed or modified while parked or while driving…. is a good idea… it’s horrendous and the opposite of what cars have always represented as part of the American story…
Korbek (04-05-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 03:47 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

Received 522 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman6161
Wow. This is why I've been away from this forum for so long. I now see that coming back was a mistake. I was trying to be helpful because people who are not longtime Android users like me might not know what was involved in creating a Google account. So my days of trying to help are over.n don't bother replying as I won't be back.
Maybe if you left out the “tinfoil hat” comment it would have gone better 🤔…

My concerns are more about the principles of being a private citizen…. vs the actual steps of opening a Google account…

Best of luck to you and your cat….
Old 04-02-2024, 05:01 PM
gatorfl
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 51 Posts

For the money GM partnered with a CO that helped the CCP monitor 100s of millions of its people (who knows how many are now jailed, missing kidneys, or worse. Also, they just lost a massive court case where they got caught tracking people even in Incognito mode. Strangely, the courts are making them delete all that data, but no million/ billion dollar fines. Also, don't forget the millions of added kids information added from the schools incorporating google classroom. Many are still using it now as a premiant feature. So to think there is collusion between the Gov and Companies for devious reasons is silly thinking. Just accept and move on.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:23 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman6161
Not to offend anyone, but it sounds to me like some people have their tin foil hats on when it comes to having a google account. On any device on the internet go to gmail.com. Create a Gmail account...which IS google account. You dont have to give any personal or financial information. Not even your real name. Heck, my cat has a gmail account (true story) and he also has a facebook page. Save the password somewhere. Use that essentially throw away Gmail account for the car.
please don't lite up your flame throwers
I'm a realist about most of this data tracking stuff, if you have a phone in your pocket you are already being tracked. The bigger issue is with this being expanded out to how the car is being driven, and all of this that just recently flushed out about use tracking (which is on by default, onstar safe driver) and that data being sold to Lexis which then in turn sells the data to insurance companies to drive our rates up, and you better believe it will eventually come down to single user resolution if things keep going down this path.

It was a big enough mess that GM came out and made an announcement that they are stopping it. You know how big of a deal it is for a corporation like GM to change policy on something like that with a public announcement? This is not tin foil hat territory, it's a real problem, and the more companies like Onstar get away with it, the worse it will get.

I agree you can't really avoid it today and live a normal life. But where I have a choice, I am making it. Onstar is a garbage company with garbage business practices. They are part of GM who are also currently making garbage decisions about user privacy and data. GM got me on the car, Onstar will never see a dime from me and I will tell everyone that cares to do the same. GM won't get another dime from me until the entire situation is more clear. We still have other options though they are all getting worse as well.

Funnier thing is GM just scapegoated someone as the guy that supposedly pushed them to make the call to remove AA/Carplay. It's just another thing that shows they are feeling the negative feedback and maybe, just maybe, pulling a couple fingers out of our cookie jars. The tin foil hat folks are the ones that started it. Sometimes they are the good guys.

Far as the actual original question, after you go through the work to get everything setup, the main problems with 2024 system is you don't have native functioning navigation without paying onstar, and AA/Carplay interfaces have ~20% of the already small screen taken up by the new software shortcuts. Many don't care about losing the native navigation as they always use AA/CP. Losing the screen space sucks, even if it doesn't bother you, it still sucks. I think we'll eventually see a screen size upgrade that will make it less painful, but for now, it sucks. They've already announced 2025 will include 8 years of the onstar needed for nav functionality, but nobody knows how that will actually pan out in terms / price of the car.

Last edited by Slare; 04-02-2024 at 10:30 PM.
Lambda 5 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 10:02 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,029 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Slare
I'm a realist about most of this data tracking stuff, if you have a phone in your pocket you are already being tracked. The bigger issue is with this being expanded out to how the car is being driven, and all of this that just recently flushed out about use tracking (which is on by default, onstar safe driver) and that data being sold to Lexis which then in turn sells the data to insurance companies to drive our rates up, and you better believe it will eventually come down to single user resolution if things keep going down this path.

It was a big enough mess that GM came out and made an announcement that they are stopping it. You know how big of a deal it is for a corporation like GM to change policy on something like that with a public announcement? This is not tin foil hat territory, it's a real problem, and the more companies like Onstar get away with it, the worse it will get.

I agree you can't really avoid it today and live a normal life. But where I have a choice, I am making it. Onstar is a garbage company with garbage business practices. They are part of GM who are also currently making garbage decisions about user privacy and data. GM got me on the car, Onstar will never see a dime from me and I will tell everyone that cares to do the same. GM won't get another dime from me until the entire situation is more clear. We still have other options though they are all getting worse as well.

Funnier thing is GM just scapegoated someone as the guy that supposedly pushed them to make the call to remove AA/Carplay. It's just another thing that shows they are feeling the negative feedback and maybe, just maybe, pulling a couple fingers out of our cookie jars. The tin foil hat folks are the ones that started it. Sometimes they are the good guys.

Far as the actual original question, after you go through the work to get everything setup, the main problems with 2024 system is you don't have native functioning navigation without paying onstar, and AA/Carplay interfaces have ~20% of the already small screen taken up by the new software shortcuts. Many don't care about losing the native navigation as they always use AA/CP. Losing the screen space sucks, even if it doesn't bother you, it still sucks. I think we'll eventually see a screen size upgrade that will make it less painful, but for now, it sucks. They've already announced 2025 will include 8 years of the onstar needed for nav functionality, but nobody knows how that will actually pan out in terms / price of the car.
The nav stuff doesnt bother me. I've never once used onboard nav. And I dont need to "see" the route. I just connect via bluetooth and turn by turn nav audio directions play over the car speakers. Have never seen the need to visually look at the nav screen while driving.

I'm just irritated by the intractable google insertion into the car's OS and the Onstar/Lexisnexis crap, which is why I plan on unplugging the cellular antenna IF I buy another C8.

I'm currently trying a GR86 on for size. VERY different car with no real power, but quite fun at low speeds in the twisties since it is so easy to carry momentum in 2nd/3rd gear in such a small/light car. And its cheap enough (33k) that I wont mind taking a hit if I swap it for a C8 in a year or two. If I like the 86 well enough and my left knee doesnt get too mad at me using a clutch again after years away from them, I may just go the Supra route rather than another C8.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:52 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Korbek
Its not about tinfoil hat stuff with the google crap. Its that it has no place in a car. Tinfoil hat stuff is me unplugging the cellular anntena so it cant send my driving habits to Lexusnexis. But as far as google is concerned, it is just mind bogglingly stupid to try to push for you to sign into ANY account of ANY kind just to use the info screen in a car.

IF I ever buy another C8 it is likely going to need to be a one owner, used 2020-2022 with an extended powertrain warranty. I just disagree with turning the car into a google box on principle alone.
I can confirm that unplugging the antenna does not disable the data connection fully. When you get near enough to an ATT tower, it still connects and sends all pending data.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:56 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 249 Posts

Question for those with 2024 C8s, how annoying is the google infotainment?

I read a post from an owner saying it keeps bombarding him with messages to log into an account for connected services or something. Is this true? Is there any way to turn it OFF OFF?

I am considering buying a new C8 having sold my 2022, but may have to consider buying a used one with an extended warranty if this google crap is TRULY irritating for those of us who dont WANT "connected services". If those messages/alerts can be stopped then I MIGHT be able to tolerate it.

I was already going go disconnect the cellular antenna, but if the dang infotainment is going to be nagging me constantly I may simply not be in the market anymore for "new" ones.
When I first got my Z06 in December, I actually tried to create the account and link to my google account to use the built in system. Its not compatible with Google for workgroups accounts so became useless pretty quickly. I stopped trying and connected Android Auto from my phone and have been using that since. It connects and starts up wirelessly every time I drive. No complaints other than the built in system was useless for me.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:03 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by jcthorne
I can confirm that unplugging the antenna does not disable the data connection fully. When you get near enough to an ATT tower, it still connects and sends all pending data.
An open cable will still somewhat act as an antenna. I wonder if you disconnected the cable from the module underneath the dash if it would prevent it from connecting.
Andybump (04-05-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 07:51 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Sounds like I'll just need to unplug both sides then. I dont need gps antenna bc I dont option front end lift. Just wish I knew if unplugging both sides causes problems with any essential systems (other than front end lift).
Old 04-03-2024, 09:11 PM
StfDrmsRMadeOf
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 66 Posts

Wow there are a lot off bat sh*t crazy takes in this tread
CutterCade (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 06:42 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StfDrmsRMadeOf
Wow there are a lot off bat sh*t crazy takes in this tread
Thank you for your valuable input on the topic.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:55 PM
StfDrmsRMadeOf
Instructor

Thank you for your valuable input on the topic.
It is at least as valuable as the majority of the other responses
Old 04-05-2024, 07:50 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StfDrmsRMadeOf
It is at least as valuable as the majority of the other responses
Not even close, but I wont be feeding the troll further. Have a nice day hating on others.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:38 PM
StfDrmsRMadeOf
Instructor

Not even close, but I wont be feeding the troll further. Have a nice day hating on others.
I’m not a troll but you’re clearly a sanctimonious a**hole. You have people literally spouting half backed conspiracy theories and inaccurate information here plus driving a user who actually was trying to positively contribute to leave the forum so pardon me for trying to inject some humor. F*ck off!
Old 04-05-2024, 01:01 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

...IF I ever buy another C8 it is likely going to need to be a one owner, used 2020-2022 with an extended powertrain warranty. I just disagree with turning the car into a google box on principle alone.
Hmmm, I sense the value of my 2022 Red Mist HTC with 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty starting to climb.....
YellowC8 (04-18-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Google Infotainment on new C8s

Old 04-05-2024, 01:03 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
I never see them because I use AndroidAuto.
I thought the 2024 does not interface with Android Auto?
Old 04-05-2024, 01:08 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
I thought the 2024 does not interface with Android Auto?
You must have read that on the internet...
2024s support Android Auto and CarPlay however the screen display is slightly smaller than previous years due to menu buttons.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:09 PM
roy826
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

Its a money grab I called and asked how much to get my Nav back she told me $44.99 a month plus taxes. I said no thank you and said goodbye. I hate the 2024 pay to have stuff. Two years left on my truck everything which GMC graciously provided free for 3 years and Chevy gave me 30 days. I won't pay for it in the GMC when it expires either. So I guess I need to get better at using my phone for navigation. I use Waze but never found it to be that great a navigator. I use it for the police and debris in the roadway ahead.

Quick Reply: Google Infotainment on new C8s