Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exploring High-Performance Daily Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 01:28 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,851 Likes on 4,260 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by sowega
100%

I've been told there will be a lot of training and culture change in the near future regarding Corvette owner experience, but -as of the last month or so- it pales in comparison to how I was treated by BMW...
I wouldn't hold your breath. It's been horrible for the nearly 30 years I've owned GM products. It's no different at Ford or CJDR dealers. I've owned plenty of those vehicles as well and unless I had a personal relationship with the dealership (e.g., the owner was a client of mine), their service is just as bad.

They have no problem matching or surpassing the prices of the "luxury" brands, but their dealerships & service is nowhere close.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:53 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 1,247 Likes on 516 Posts

I currently own three cars on your list, GT4, Z06, BMW M4 X-drive Comp Convert, and owned all of them at one time or another except the Italian. While I daily drive a MB 580, the M4 gets the most miles. Very easy car to live with, lots of fun, handles bad weather well, and nice to put the top down. Big back seat area, makes nice sounds. I can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy it for a dd.

I have no idea regarding depreciation, that's something I never consider when buying, as I have no control, and it happens to all cars. I will say though, I traded a C8 for the M4 and got back my purchase price minus a few thousand. GT4 and Z06 obviously hold their value well. M4 will probably the worst, but that doesn't matter, it's super fun for three seasons, it's also under the radar.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:20 PM
stt816
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks everyone..to answer some questions. I live in southwestern Connecticut. Although we get snow it’s cleaned up almost immediately. And the last couple years haven’t been much. I don’t have a wife or kids. 🙏

i Did go to Porsche and drove a Macan. It started downpouring so they didn’t allow me to test drive the 718 or 911. I did sit in them though and the 718 felt much more like my c5. Which I didn’t like. Yea it was a lot more modern but it was still a little less nice interior and 2 seated. The Macan was hard to see how it drove because it was raining but the interior of that and the 911 were very nice

options
keep the Giulia, don’t extend warranty. I’ll roll the dice and play my luck here. I just don’t feel like feeling locked in.

or

Current car list
  • M2 Competition-haven’t driven but looks wise..it looks just a bit small. Not talking about practicality..just looks smushed to me and not crazy about its looks. Although if I drove it maybe that would overshadow that
  • porsche Macan GTS/Turbo-ive never owned an suv and this might seem like a weird one on this list but reviews say it drives much more like a car. Exterior I’m not crazy about but interior was very nice. This was in place of panamera. I like the looks of Macan better.
  • Giulia Quadrifoglio (this doesnt depreciate bad. Much better than the ti sport I have)-I’ve heard great reviews on this. Saying it’s the best in its category. But do I wanna put in 20k or so for the same model car? I know it’s a different animal but still.
  • 718 Cayman S-didn’t test drive but led me to believe it would be comparable to the c5 too much. Even though it’s different. I actually feel like the c8 might be more or equal of a contrast to the c5
  • C8 Corvette-I probably like the looks of this the best. One of my last memories of my dad before he passed away was us building a c8 online. We had a strong bond with this c5 which is why it’s so important to me. I'm not sure if he was going through with the c8 or what, but there’s always that in my head. But I’m just not sure how practical it would be or if it would ruin the c5 experience
  • Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.2)-probably one of my top picks because it seems to have everything..luxury, comfort, practicality, and so on but expensive..but also holds value and has a history of it so there’s that
  • Any Modern M2/M3/M4/M5–like some have said I’m just kind of tired of bmw..you see m on everything and their owners don’t like to use signals. Idk
  • i was looking at the taycan and I like how it looks but not sure if I’m ready to go electric
Old 04-04-2024, 05:03 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 669 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
My input, if your primary concern with your current dd is the expiration of its warranty, I wouldn't replace with another used car that is out of warranty.

I don't worry about depreciation...that much. My dd is a '23 M2. I have just over 6,300 mi since Nov 28 when I picked it up. It's an excellent car all around. I did purchase it new & paid just slightly below MSRP. I did trade in a '22 330e that was paid off - which was also a great dd. I put 31k mi on the 330e in just over 17 months.

My wife's dd is a '22 X3 M Competition. Also a great vehicle all around. Contrary to popular belief, I haven't had any issues with our BMWs. My in-laws have had countless BMWs also problem-free, and all my wife's colleagues drive BMWs. It appears BMW is the unofficial company car.

As others have mentioned the dealer experience with BMW is 100x better than what you'll get from Chevy. All required maintenance is also included on BMWs for 3/36. You get 1 free service on a C8, and after that it's on your own dime, so factor those costs. From what I read the DCT service alone is pretty pricey.

The M2, or other variants, can also be very easily & inexpensively modded to make crazy power. A simple piggyback tune on my M2 for $600 will net 125-150 additional hp. Not bad on a vehicle that is already putting down ~470 whp. That will put it at the same power output as my Callaway supercharged Z06 for 1/2 the price.

Oh, you can also still get an M2 with a manual transmission if you want
To be fair, you haven’t had any issues on your BMWs because they are essentially brand new. When you own one that’s out of warranty and has some miles on it then let’s see how you feel!

But I said earlier in the thread, most every car made these days is pretty reliable. Some have a little more maintenance requirements than others but all of them are pretty good. Until they get way up in miles or years. Most ppl don’t keep a car that long so it doesn’t really matter.
The following users liked this post:
3LZR21U (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 05:08 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's been horrible for the nearly 30 years I've owned GM products. It's no different at Ford or CJDR dealers. I've owned plenty of those vehicles as well and unless I had a personal relationship with the dealership (e.g., the owner was a client of mine), their service is just as bad.

They have no problem matching or surpassing the prices of the "luxury" brands, but their dealerships & service is nowhere close.
Agreed on the Chevy dealer experience. It sucks. But it sucks at nearly every brand. BMW, Porsche, Land Rover, probably Mercedes are more likely to be better. But not all of them. The thing I realize is I don’t really go to a dealership very much. These cars don’t require much service, once a year. I drop the car off, they call me when it’s done. If you are lucky you find a Chevy dealer who also owns import brands or luxury brands. The service there tends to be better, but those cross brand dealers are much less common with GM.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:36 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,427 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by stt816
options
keep the Giulia, don’t extend warranty. I’ll roll the dice and play my luck here. I just don’t feel like feeling locked in.
  • 718 Cayman S-didn’t test drive but led me to believe it would be comparable to the c5 too much. Even though it’s different. I actually feel like the c8 might be more or equal of a contrast to the c5
  • C8 Corvette-I probably like the looks of this the best. One of my last memories of my dad before he passed away was us building a c8 online. We had a strong bond with this c5 which is why it’s so important to me. I'm not sure if he was going through with the c8 or what, but there’s always that in my head. But I’m just not sure how practical it would be or if it would ruin the c5 experience
I've had C5s for 12yrs now and spent much time in Cayman though never bought one. they are very different driving machines, Every time I see a Cayman I kick myself 'why don't I have one of those?' they are sweet. Extremely nimble and light on their feet. Feels a foot narrower and 3ft shorter than a C5. And the hold up well and hold their value well. Cruise to a local Carmax or something and drive one.
Barring that, you like the looks of the C8 and have great memories with Dad, so grab one of those (or at least test drive). They drive like a modern large heavy midengined sports car, which it is, very different from a C5, would not ruin it, they are both 'good' but complimentary. C5 is better 'drivers' car, C8 better all rounder.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:44 PM
switchlanez
Drifting

Received 1,207 Likes on 679 Posts

Check out VetOnVettes757's YouTube channel. He offers some perspective on owning both a C5 Z06 and a C8.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:13 PM
BasicMember
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the Integra Type S with a six speed manual that you can wind out and have some serious fun. They are harder to find than a C8 but well worth checking into, imo. Less expensive all around and if you can get one without an ADM a relative bargain. Don't tell anyone.

Last edited by BasicMember; 04-04-2024 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:13 PM
mtraylor2001
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Out of your list. If depreciation is your main criteria and you want a sports car. There is only one on the list that stands alone. its the Porsch carrera S. I believe that 911's hold their value better than any other sports car. Especially the Turbos. I 2 year old Carrera S can sell more than a new one. Crazy market as others have said.

Now comparing the C8 side by side with the Carrera S. I believe the C8 is a sexy car hands down. It has sharp lines, C8 rumble, and looks good from about all angles. The Carrera S is more refined I think. It has real smooth lines, a little submissive from the v6 until you get on it or put in sport mode, etc....but the Porsche is more nimble and will handle better than the c8. They both have good torque and will be fun to drive.

Now as others have said. I think the Macan GTS will make an excellent daily. It has power and will handle just like a sports car. Its the best of both worlds and you can keep your C5. Anyway. That is my 2 cents. Hard decission for you. I have actually contemplated on getting a Carrera S to replace my C7z to try it out and hold until I can get my hands on a c8z. The thoughts were around depreciation as well. I could have gotten a 7speed stick 2 years ago and when the time comes. Trade for a C8z. I think I'm kicking myself now, as the price of those things just gone up and up. It will be interesting to see the hybrid of that model as it will have more power and torque.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:23 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by mnm4ever
To be fair, you haven’t had any issues on your BMWs because they are essentially brand new. When you own one that’s out of warranty and has some miles on it then let’s see how you feel!

But I said earlier in the thread, most every car made these days is pretty reliable. Some have a little more maintenance requirements than others but all of them are pretty good. Until they get way up in miles or years. Most ppl don’t keep a car that long so it doesn’t really matter.
I also mentioned, " My in-laws have had countless BMWs also problem-free, and all my wife's colleagues drive BMWs. It appears BMW is the unofficial company car." I thoroughly research vehicles before I drop $70-90k on them.

I also ensure all regular maintenance is done on schedule. I've owned 10 different Jeep Wranglers, and put a lot of miles on them. If you read Wrangler forums you would assume they all have issues. I was either fortunate or because I maintain my vehicles, I didn't experience any issues with any of them.

That said, after the warranty expires or after the included maintenance is over, I perform all my own maintenance. Maintenance on the BMWs isn't any more difficult or expensive than my Z06. I'd venture a guess the typical BMW demographic doesn't do their own maintenance and thus think it's expensive.

The following users liked this post:
mnm4ever (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 08:01 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

I also mentioned, " My in-laws have had countless BMWs also problem-free, and all my wife's colleagues drive BMWs. It appears BMW is the unofficial company car." I thoroughly research vehicles before I drop $70-90k on them.

I also ensure all regular maintenance is done on schedule. I've owned 10 different Jeep Wranglers, and put a lot of miles on them. If you read Wrangler forums you would assume they all have issues. I was either fortunate or because I maintain my vehicles, I didn't experience any issues with any of them.

That said, after the warranty expires or after the included maintenance is over, I perform all my own maintenance. Maintenance on the BMWs isn't any more difficult or expensive than my Z06. I'd venture a guess the typical BMW demographic doesn't do their own maintenance and thus think it's expensive.
Understood and agreed. It just kind of made me laugh when you said you had a 22 BMW and now a 23 BMW and they haven’t had any problems. Well I should hope so!!

I’m not trying to knock BMW or German cars. I’ve owned many and so has many of my family and friends. They are well engineered and built cars that are solid. But… when they get older and higher in mileage, stupid things break and a lot of those stupid things cost a lot of money. They aren’t Hondas or Toyotas. And maintenance is expensive, more expensive than the Corvette. Unless GM is charging some insane premium for an oil change or transmission service on the Z06. Yea, I know BMW includes the maintenance for 3 yrs. But if you read the service recommendations, they don’t really have anything besides an oil change or two. And after that 3 yrs, you are on the hook for the actual expensive stuff. German cars are really meant to be leased for 3 yrs then traded in. If you want to keep one for 10+ yrs or buy them used, then you should be handy with cars and be able to do your own work.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:10 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The corvettes make great daily drivers. I’ve daily driving them for decades. Inexpensive to maintain although the dct service does add cost
Old 04-05-2024, 08:17 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Put non runflats on the c5 and use that as your daily driver. Put an $20 air compressor and $5 tire plug kit in the trunk and just use that.the ride will dramatically improve. Maybe 18/19 wheels and tires?

sVe your money and wait as the car market is about to implode with prices of most sports cars dropping like crazy.

jmo
Old 04-06-2024, 09:44 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by mnm4ever
Understood and agreed. It just kind of made me laugh when you said you had a 22 BMW and now a 23 BMW and they haven’t had any problems. Well I should hope so!!

I’m not trying to knock BMW or German cars. I’ve owned many and so has many of my family and friends. They are well engineered and built cars that are solid. But… when they get older and higher in mileage, stupid things break and a lot of those stupid things cost a lot of money. They aren’t Hondas or Toyotas. And maintenance is expensive, more expensive than the Corvette. Unless GM is charging some insane premium for an oil change or transmission service on the Z06. Yea, I know BMW includes the maintenance for 3 yrs. But if you read the service recommendations, they don’t really have anything besides an oil change or two. And after that 3 yrs, you are on the hook for the actual expensive stuff. German cars are really meant to be leased for 3 yrs then traded in. If you want to keep one for 10+ yrs or buy them used, then you should be handy with cars and be able to do your own work.
My wife ordered a '23 Grand Cherokee Summit High Altitude last year. We had it 9 months, and had constant issues with the electronics. The $2k High Altitude pkg was supposed to include gloss black wheels, exterior trim, roof rails & emblems. It came with dark grey wheels, bright silver roof rails, and dark grey emblems. Fought 4 months with Jeep over that and because the build sheet stated the vehicle had gloss black components they refused to give us the correct components.

The steering wheel trim was coming off & the leather had so many wrinkles in it. Took 5 months to get a new steering wheel which looked just as bad as the first. The response to all the electronics issues was "maybe they'll come out with a software update in the future to fix those things". Thankfully we ordered at 4% below invoice, so we didn't lose much when we traded it in.

Re: included maintenance on the Ms, it includes break-in service (oil change and rear diff fluid change), regular oil changes, brake service and fluid change, spark plugs, engine air filter and cabin filter, & wiper blades. Not too bad. The included maintenance does include less on non-M vehicles.

My wife's X3MC is in for her 25k mi service (oil, air filter, brakes). She received a brand new X3 (119 mi) for her loaner. I also asked them to check out the ambient light strips in the doors that had a couple hot spots & the exterior lower door trim looked loose. Tech sent me a video going over the vehicle, explaining what was going to be done & also that they are replacing the ambient light components in all 4 doors plus addressing the lower door trim.

I've never had service like that for any of my GM, CJDR, or other vehicles. 9.9/10 they try to get out of warranty work or say "cannot replicate concern"....

I do agree, one should be able to perform your own maintenance, regardless of the make of vehicle. Just read here the cost some dealers are charging for oil changes on the C8, and then you have the expensive DCT service.

Old 04-07-2024, 12:52 AM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

I probably should have said “most vehicles these days are reliable, except for FCA vehicles”. 😊

Our Wrangler has been pretty solid. My daughter’s Grand Cherokee has not. In 7 yrs the Wrangler has only been to the dealer for regular maintenance and it’s cheap. I think while it was in for service they found something else that needed replaced and they fixed it under warranty. Pretty much the same experience with all my other cars. Maybe I’m just lucky but I just don’t go to the dealerships enough to care much about their service.

Quick Reply: Exploring High-Performance Daily Drivers