Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those of you who drive in manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 09:31 AM
BruceV
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Those of you who drive in manual

I don't know if this question has been asked before or discussed, if it has I didn't see it. I pretty much only drive the car in manual, my question is, at what rpm range do you drive at? I don't mean when you are getting on it or accelerating, I mean for instance if the speed limit is 45 mph what gear and rpm's, I know when I get on the highway, depending on my speed I get into 8th.

If I switch to drive almost always it upshifts, heck maybe I'm just used to keeping the revs up a little. It runs at like 1500 rpms when in drive, I'm typically higher, it just feels like I'm lugging it.

It is really difficult when I'm used to never being below 10K rpms and usually over 12K rpms, then get in the car and see 1500 rpms at cruising speeds. I know this engine is a pushrod throwback, I'm getting used to it, I will never drive it in drive, I just can't.

Thank you.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:08 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 298 Posts

The auto-shifting in the C8 luggs my car. It will stay in absurdly low rpm like < 1500 unless I give it more gas which inevitably will lead to me going way faster than the posted speed limit. It also stays in V4 mode when going uphill even at a 20+ degree incline. It's definitely more tuned towards economy than anything else.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:14 AM
The Former
Safety Car

Received 409 Likes on 189 Posts

Reminds me of the skip shift.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:15 AM
Semifighter18
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 152 Posts

Once I'm up to speed and not accelerating I'm in a gear to keep it at or above 1500 rpm, usually closer to 2000 rpm. I don't think it's "lugging" if you're at a constant speed (unless you are at low rpm and going up a hill). If you are accelerating and shifting at low rpm I think technically that's when you are lugging the motor. If I'm accelerating I obviously shift at higher rpm depending on how aggressive I'm driving.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:26 AM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 129 Posts

Like most DCT’s the C8’s don’t like to run first gear at too high an rpm if you want a smooth shift. Depending on how you have your car set (my mode zmode) or what mode you are in the car will respond differently, personally I don’t think I have been in any gear higher than 5th when in manual mode (I also have a pedal commander), I like the way the car responds in lower gears and fuel economy is not why I have this car. Every car has a sweet spot that place in the rev range where everything is in sync in the C8 (the way my z mode is configured) it is around 5800 rpms. If you do some experimenting you will find the spot that works for your settings and driving style.
The following users liked this post:
BruceV (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 10:30 AM
BruceV
Racer

Originally Posted by undecided1965
The auto-shifting in the C8 luggs my car. It will stay in absurdly low rpm like < 1500 unless I give it more gas which inevitably will lead to me going way faster than the posted speed limit. It also stays in V4 mode when going uphill even at a 20+ degree incline. It's definitely more tuned towards economy than anything else.
Yeah I don't know if it is actually lugging the engine but it sure feels that way, and going into V4 on hills seems a little strange. I probably have driven the car less than 10 miles in drive, just to see how it functions.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:35 AM
BruceV
Racer

Originally Posted by Semifighter18
Once I'm up to speed and not accelerating I'm in a gear to keep it at or above 1500 rpm, usually closer to 2000 rpm. I don't think it's "lugging" if you're at a constant speed (unless you are at low rpm and going up a hill). If you are accelerating and shifting at low rpm I think technically that's when you are lugging the motor. If I'm accelerating I obviously shift at higher rpm depending on how aggressive I'm driving.
I'm definitely not short shifting it, I just feel like I should be running it at higher rpms than what I am, but switching into drive, gear for gear the auto mode is running much lower rpms than I am.
Old 03-30-2024, 10:51 AM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,210 Likes on 912 Posts

The engine will not lug in auto mode or V4, it will always shift automatically, hence the term auto, to the appropriate gear.
The following 4 users liked this post by proeagles:
4thC4at60 (03-30-2024), bluekey28 (03-31-2024), JimB. (03-31-2024), JTBogus (04-02-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 11:45 AM
BruceV
Racer

Originally Posted by proeagles
The engine will not lug in auto mode or V4, it will always shift automatically, hence the term auto, to the appropriate gear.
I understand how the transmission works, and how GM has set it up, and they absolutely have it setup to produce the absolute best gas mileage possible. It just feels a little low and I would guess if we were to put the car on a dyno we would find the car is not putting out any real HP or torque at 1500 rpms. One thing I have learned it is better to be running a little higher than a little lower.

I know if I was looking for the fastest acceleration I can't beat having it in auto, but for me the driving experience is well boring in auto, I like shifting it, it keeps me engaged and I don't care about the gas mileage being less.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:19 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 889 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceV
.... I pretty much only drive the car in manual, my question is, at what rpm range do you drive at?
I drive on manual mode at all times, shift somewhere between 2K and 4k RPMs for the most part, the higher the gear the lower RPMs. I allow the transmission to down shift gradually on its own as speeds are reduced which seems to be a more gentle way than if I down shift on my own.

For the most part I shift by sound, similar to how I shift my Mustang's non-paddle 6-spd manual tranny.

George
Old 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,210 Likes on 912 Posts

I get it,1500 RPM seems low and it is if driving in manual mode. I've noticed when driving in auto at that RPM that just a little throttle most often shifts the trans into a lower gear automatically. These engines are torque monsters and have a lot of low end torque so they are capable of puttering around at low RPM. If you are worried about lugging however, manual mode is not for you. If you don't care about gas mileage, drive it like a stick feeling the engine sensing what it wants and drive accordingly. You will find yourself in the 2-3K RPM level most often I bet. The engine will feel more alive and responsive without the obligatory auto shift to get there.
Rapid Fred (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 12:28 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,380 Likes on 1,234 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

For the year I had my 23 Stingray (before moving to the Z06), I drove 100% in manual mode after the first couple of months (other than doing max accel runs) as auto is just too boring to me. Like you, I find driving in manual mode makes it much more engaging and fun. I typically drove like I would have with my previous C6/7 manual cars, cruising at around 2000-2500rpm. The only time I'd drop lower than that is when cruising on the highway, where I would often drop to 8th for max fuel economy. The LT2 has plenty of torque, so you're really not going to lug it even at 1500rpm, but there is a noticeable ramp in torque on the LT2 from 1000-2000rpm, so 2000-2500 makes a sweet spot for cruising on the street where you're a lot closer to peak torque. On the C8 SR I had (non-Z51), 45 in 4th was 2392rpm, which seemed about perfect. Gas mileage really wasn't bad either on the SR driving in manual like that either.

My C8Z is a totally different story as I tend to cruise around 3500-4000rpm with it, and yes gas mileage sucks, but who cares!
jrthe1 (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 12:45 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,929 Likes on 2,321 Posts

In manual mode for most cruising 1500 - 3000. Automatic in Tour favors 1500. In Sport of track it appears to favor 2500. Regardless, in either automatic mode, it wants to downshift even with a moderate call for power. I actually prefer to experience the torque at a lower rpm. It may not be optimal from a economy perspective - its just what I prefer.

I also believe that technically, the engine cannot lug - regardless of mode it will always downshift to keep the RPM above some number (its below 1500 I think but not much). However, there is a caution in the break in instructions that says never lug the engine. It never defines lug. But it does make it sound the operator could lug the engine - else why is that caution there?

Many folks claim they cannot hear the V4 mode difference - and a subset of them insist that others can't either - as if it is in our head. With the engine/shift set to Tour, and using automatic shift mode, I can hear it, while it is in V4 mode. It is very subtle. But to me it is reminiscent of low rumble sound of an engine just on the verge of lugging. I can hear that same sound in my Suburban. I'm not saying it is lugging, nor that it has anything to do with lugging. I'm just sayin' thats the sound. It does not surprise me that many folks do not hear it, or do not notice it.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:47 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 889 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
... and yes gas mileage sucks, but who cares!

I don't know which feels better, filling it with premium or having a potter house steak.
Andybump (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 01:04 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1 STING

I don't know which feels better, filling it with premium or having a potter house steak.
Just got back from a trip (in the C8) to my favorite butcher shop. This is a custom cut, long bone, sirloin steak with the filet - 1.5 inches thick. It will be prepared on a extra large big green egg.

The following 2 users liked this post by Andybump:
1 STING (03-30-2024), aaronj_76 (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 01:07 PM
BruceV
Racer

Originally Posted by proeagles
I get it,1500 RPM seems low and it is if driving in manual mode. I've noticed when driving in auto at that RPM that just a little throttle most often shifts the trans into a lower gear automatically. These engines are torque monsters and have a lot of low end torque so they are capable of puttering around at low RPM. If you are worried about lugging however, manual mode is not for you. If you don't care about gas mileage, drive it like a stick feeling the engine sensing what it wants and drive accordingly. You will find yourself in the 2-3K RPM level most often I bet. The engine will feel more alive and responsive without the obligatory auto shift to get there.
I find just the opposite, when I'm in manual I keep the revs up, the few miles I have driven the car in auto is when I see the rpms dropping to 1500 or less.

Trust me I know how to drive, I typically have owned all manual performance cars and didn't have this opportunity to see the difference. I have 10's of thousands of miles on race tracks, so I get it, this car just presents a few options in the way it can be driven.

I drive the car spirited, hence I like to use the paddles, I guess drive mode won't get much use.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:09 PM
22c8z51
Pro

Received 390 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
I actually prefer to experience the torque at a lower rpm.
I also prefer lower rpm torque. I wish there was a shift program to prioritize this! (weather mode doesn't)

Instead it always downshifts for the slightest demand of my right foot.

So, I'm usually shifting in manual mode to keep it in a *higher* gear than the auto would have selected.

Get notified of new replies

To Those of you who drive in manual

Old 03-30-2024, 01:14 PM
aaronj_76
Advanced

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

I love my trips to the butcher in my C8 as well. Something about that drive and then knowing that when I get the steaks or brisket off of the Big Green Egg (XL here too),..all is good with my world!!
Andybump (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 01:34 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aaronj_76
I love my trips to the butcher in my C8 as well. Something about that drive and then knowing that when I get the steaks or brisket off of the Big Green Egg (XL here too),..all is good with my world!!
Brisket. Somebody say something about brisket!!??

1 STING (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 01:51 PM
ArizonaZ06
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 327 Posts

[QUOTE=undecided1965;1607670958 It's definitely more tuned towards economy than anything else.[/QUOTE]

Also completely detuned on the C8 is the non reactive accelerator pedal. You literally have to put your foot deep into the gas to get the C8 to wake up. On a quarter throttle your greeted with the slightest of response. Possibly a built in safety feature or fuel conservation? To me not what the number one American sports car should react like.

Quick Reply: Those of you who drive in manual