Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gm fix transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 09:12 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,777 Likes on 5,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Exactly, as stated above, the DCT transmission issues are totally blown out of proportion on U-tube and internet forums as most everyone comes on social media platforms to complain about their issues however you don't hear from the hundreds of thousands of C8 owners who have not experienced any issues.
Same happened with the C7 A8 trans 'shudder' issues, all said and done reports state that less than 5% of C7 A8s experience this issue.
Originally Posted by sprtplt
Wrong. "most everyone" absolutely does not post anywhere. The Corvette forums are an infinitesimally small representation of all owners. And the 8L45 and 8L90 8 speed trans problems are huge with at least two class action cases underway.
I agree that the Corvette Forums represents a relatively small sampling of all owners, however when you add U-tube and the social Media platforms as stated in my above it grows substantially.
You say huge, how many of the approx. 146,000 C8s built to date do you believe have had DCT issues?
Old 03-26-2024, 09:26 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,016 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Every enthusiast sort of car I have ever bought new had a matching forum for it that I would read from time to time. All of these forums made the cars sound like an absolute basket case. Just nothing but problems on top of problems. Seemingly lots of people who were loud and proud that they lemon law'd their POS and it was the worst car ever.

Funny enough, I never had a problem with any of these cars. So I'm really not worried about it with my C8 Z06. Someday my luck will probably run out and I'll buy a problem car, but worrying about it isn't going to change whatever may happen.

When it comes down to it, no one outside of GM has a clue how widespread any of these issues truly are. People tend to assume its whatever they have decided they want the answer to be (some people are just naturally positive, while others are just naturally negative). None of us have a clue what the true percentage is.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 09:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,388 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you frequent the forum and other social media sources, I can see where the transmission reliability would be a concern. But there are a huge amount of owners that have no problems and do not post that for others to read.
astepup (03-27-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 09:52 PM
BetaSteve
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In Porsche PDK’s early years they did the same thing - brought every faulty PDK back to the factory for inspection. They’ve certainly had their fair share of high exposure problems:
catastrophic IMS failures that could happen in 996 and 997.1 versions of the 911
complete engine failures in certain era GT3 911 models that called for voluntary complete engine replacement
an ongoing - 1.5+ years now - stop drive order on the $1m + Carrera
and more
Yet they still sell more than they can supply of most every model and I don’t think anyone is worried about the PDK anymore
The Tremec TR-9080 faults too will be overcome, but keep talking them up folks, makes the day come sooner I can justify the outlay for a used C8
Whatever happened to the early C8 idea that Corvette should become its own brand thereby able to offer a level of service justifying the price of the car anyway?

Old 03-26-2024, 10:17 PM
sowega
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by tadda
Well stated and I completely agree.......
I didn’t expect this thread to prove me right so quickly
tadda (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 10:23 PM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,938 Likes on 2,673 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by sowega
I didn’t expect this thread to prove me right so quickly

Old 03-27-2024, 01:43 AM
gdb069
Burning Brakes

Received 609 Likes on 331 Posts

Its just a bit odd that GM does not document the problem but just sends another transmission and say "try this one". sure other cars have problems but my experience with Mercedes and Honda was when a problem was detected, it was analyzed and a solution was provided. MB had an oil consumption problem and identified which serial numbers of the same model, same year were affected and determined it was a cylinder component change. (My SLK had no problem but a friends did).

On the other hand, my C8 was in Chevrolet Service for a while awaiting a new transmission, but or some reason it did not bother me at all. I was offered a coutesy car but have other cars so waited a few weeks. Maybe the difference is: in Canada our summer toys go inti storage for 4-6 moths every years so we are not put off by a wait.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:02 AM
winders
Burning Brakes

Received 1,199 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by BetaSteve
In Porsche PDK’s early years they did the same thing - brought every faulty PDK back to the factory for inspection.
The Porsche dealer still replaces the entire PDK when there is a problem with it. Some shops have figured out how to do a few component repairs out of warranty.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:10 AM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 90 Posts

For what it's worth, a new part number for the valve body was issued a few weeks ago, which may be a sign that they've addressed that issue.
The conspiracy theorist in me...

Marketing Guy 1: This part keeps failing, and we're losing customer confidence in the design
Marketing Guy 2: We need a way to improve that confidence without spending a lot of money
MG1: The part really is broken, so what do you suggest?
MG2: If we give it a new part number, people will believe we've identified and resolved the problem.
MG1: But new numbers are only assigned to parts that have been modified.
MG2: Add a bit of white to the paint.
MG1: Ah, so you mean it's dark gray now instead of completely black. Done!

And that, folks, is how you end up with a modified valve body with a new part number
sowega (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:56 AM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Hintz

Marketing Guy 1: This part keeps failing, and we're losing customer confidence in the design
Marketing Guy 2: We need a way to improve that confidence without spending a lot of money
MG2: If we give it a new part number, people will believe we've identified and resolved the problem.

And that, folks, is how you end up with a modified valve body with a new part number
That is definitely a possibility - I know I've taken part in equally obtuse "messaging" & "optics" decisions while holding my nose, haha
BarneyZ (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 09:51 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 175 Posts

Or change vendor or just for no other reason start a new p/n, hey it’s leap year!
Old 03-27-2024, 10:02 AM
hamta
Racer

Received 480 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hintz

I HIGHLY doubt this will occur in today's timeframe. Remember, GM just got caught doing this with the ignition switch issue. Which resulted in many lawsuits, millions in damage awards, and I believe, several GM executives were found guilty of criminal charges. I believe that this thread has gone off track in a major way with these conspiracy theories...JMHO
Old 03-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,264 Posts

For what it's worth, a new part number for the valve body .......
What is are the new and old part numbers for that? Which valve body was it (there are two). How did you discover that?
Old 03-27-2024, 11:02 AM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by Andybump
What is are the new and old part numbers for that? Which valve body was it (there are two). How did you discover that?
During the 6 weeks of waiting for a valve body for my car, the dealership operations manager mentioned that I was getting the new, just-released part number. The repair order details with all the part numbers, times, etc are in my "Joined the transmission issue club" thread, but here are the valve body part numbers:

new 24059060
old 24045740
Andybump (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Dan Hintz
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by hamta
I HIGHLY doubt this will occur in today's timeframe. Remember, GM just got caught doing this with the ignition switch issue. Which resulted in many lawsuits, millions in damage awards, and I believe, several GM executives were found guilty of criminal charges. I believe that this thread has gone off track in a major way with these conspiracy theories...JMHO

sowega (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 11:27 AM
hamta
Racer

Received 480 Likes on 189 Posts

Absolutely not!
Andybump (03-27-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 09:24 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 525 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Exactly, as stated above, the DCT transmission issues are totally blown out of proportion on U-tube and internet forums as most everyone comes on social media platforms to complain about their issues however you don't hear from the hundreds of thousands of C8 owners who have not experienced any issues.
Same happened with the C7 A8 trans 'shudder' issues, all said and done reports state that less than 5% of C7 A8s experience this issue.
Sorry, but GM leverages stats as MAJOR part of what makes them actually fix things and unfortunately for Corvette owners we have a very high percentage of garage queens that never get driven. My Mom's C8 doesn't have a DCT problem. It's got under 1000 miles. My brother is on his 4th 8 speed auto in his C7. He actually drives the thing (when it's not at the dealer getting fixed). GM extended his warranty on the transmission it's so bad. And he's **** about maintenance and taking care of his stuff and owns a bunch of other vettes all with original transmissions so it isn't the driver.

So if your 5% failure number is correct my brother's odds are 0.00000625 at having his issues (1 in 160,000). I think it's reasonable to say that 5% is low, and also it's overblown online... but the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:35 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,264 Posts

I think 5% is high - 5 of every 100 or 1 out of every 20 cars built. It that applied to the C8 DCT your odds would be 1 out of 20. But it did not. That number above was mentioned in the context of C7 - not the C8.

"all said and done reports state that less than 5% of C7 A8s experience this issue."
RKCRLR (03-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Gm fix transmission issue