Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

music usb suddenly went blank…help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 03:30 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 954 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default music usb suddenly went blank…help!

OK, I need some help. I am stumped. I got in the car tonight to take a late cruise and on firing up the car, It automatically says no USB source connected. All my music is on a single USB that has been working perfectly in this car and three other cars when I plug in the USB.

the USB port is not dead, it will charge my phone, and when plugging in the USB, a small light goes on inside the USB to show that it’s being read, yet it doesn’t see any music on the USB. This happened completely out of the blue with nothing changing on the car whatsoever, last night it worked , tonight it doesn’t. another USB, which works in my other car that has music and also shows all my music when connected to my computer, also doesn’t work at all. Any ideas?

everything else in the infotainment system, Apple CarPlay, FM AM, everything works fine except for this. I have all the music stored on my phone, so the workaround is to play it through CarPlay, but I like not using my phone and using the USB.

my next move is to get an adapter and try to play the USB with music on it through the USB C port. I don’t have high hopes

do you think disconnecting the battery for a half hour and rebooting would help?

Last edited by Glen e; 03-17-2024 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:01 AM
RandelB
Pro

Received 580 Likes on 245 Posts

Try this first for resetting the electronics:
1. After a normal run cycle, shutdown car
2. Open driver's door only. Leave open for not less than 90 seconds. Set a timer.
3. After not less than the 90 seconds close door and re-try USB

This is a quick reset.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:03 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

thank you!

update: success! I tried keeping the door open for 90 seconds or more, and got in the car and that didn’t solve the problem. But then I found an article on GM authority telling you how to reset all the GM infotainment systems from about 2018 on, and for the Google assist systems of 23+, you idle the car in park, and then you hold down the phone hang up button on the steering wheel for 10 seconds, the whole system shuts down, then comes back up and plays the USB…

it’s also on consumer reports…

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...m-a1056723043/

Last edited by Glen e; 03-17-2024 at 09:16 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Glen e:
proeagles (03-17-2024), RandelB (03-17-2024), RKCRLR (03-17-2024), Zormecteon (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 10:19 AM
bthibodeaux
Burning Brakes

Received 715 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
thank you!

update: success! I tried keeping the door open for 90 seconds or more, and got in the car and that didn’t solve the problem. But then I found an article on GM authority telling you how to reset all the GM infotainment systems from about 2018 on, and for the Google assist systems of 23+, you idle the car in park, and then you hold down the phone hang up button on the steering wheel for 10 seconds, the whole system shuts down, then comes back up and plays the USB…

it’s also on consumer reports…

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...m-a1056723043/

Good info. Thanks! Should be in owner's manuals. @Glen e Can you tell me the format and size of your USB? I have a 2024 that will only play FAT32 format. exFAT and NTFS formats will not work., and are the only formats available in Microsoft for drives larger than 32GB. Newer thumb drives, especially those larger than 32GB are generally formatted in exFAT. There is a solution. I watched this YouTube video to learn how to reformat my 128Gig drive to FAT32.
Here is a direct link to the company Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd. that provides the free FAT32 formatter. http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm I used the one with the Microsoft GUI mentioned at the beginning of the instructions. Works perfectly. The website and formatter are not "Secure or Trusted" in Microsoft speak, so you will have to to go there and download in spite of its warnings.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:56 AM
Mvfvette1
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

When I picked up my C8, I transferred the thumb drive from my C7 which was loaded with lots of MP3 files and worked flawlessly in the C7. It worked in the C8, but it was very quirky. Would often get the "no USB source" and the media indexing status bar was constantly displaying, even when it was working fine.

I finally decided to reformat the same thumb drive and reload the music. I honestly do not remember if I chose NTFS or FAT32. I have all of my music ripped in MP3 and FLAC formats, so since the C8 will play FLAC I chose that format and loaded up the drive with a ton of music. I no longer have any issues or error messages. When the car starts, the media indexing status bar completes fairly quickly (there is a lot of music on the drive) and plays well..
Old 03-17-2024, 12:35 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

mine is a 32GB FAT32…. I don’t have a large amount of songs, only about 18GB

what I can’t figure out is why did all of a sudden it become quirky. Now, like above, I get the indexing bar for a few seconds, this morning. It gave me the message again that it couldn’t find anything three seconds later it popped right back up like nothing was wrong. I am formatted in the proper way, and in the first two months of owning this car I never had this happen before…

Last edited by Glen e; 03-17-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:27 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,539 Likes on 4,274 Posts

USB drives do fail. Does it work correctly in a computer?

The reindexing is normal. When you start the car it checks to see if anything on the drive has changed. if you've added or deleted any music.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

I assume it re-indexes when it first reads it. The USB works in everything except this damn single C8 USB port :my computer (apple), my ipad attachment, my other car (BMW x2).

Get notified of new replies

To music usb suddenly went blank…help!

Quick Reply: music usb suddenly went blank…help!