Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 01:16 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,219 Likes on 830 Posts

The museum is great and for some picking up the car there would be nice but its not adding to the value of the car...I'd rather pick mine up at the dealer...I've done the long tour and seen all the back rooms of the museum....Picking up a car there for me would be a no but its all a personal preference.......Driving a Vette there to visit is a yes....and everyone should do it at least once....
Old 03-16-2024, 05:27 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,392 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

No added value to the car with a museum delivery - it’s all about the special experience you get with an NCM delivery.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
Rharfo (03-16-2024), Wife said I could (03-17-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 07:20 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 586 Posts

I think if the NCM had on-contract aftermarket shops in the vicinity who could offer things like vinyl/graphics and other day-1 mods that would be nice to have--I'd be more inclined to think about taking delivery there. To my knowledge, the limit of this is basic PPF / ceramic....maybe tint. I'm picky about brand/type of products that are going to go on my car; same reason why dealerships who want to offer this kind of stuff as a "package" are of no interest to me.

Since I also want a body-color aftermarket wing installed (non factory mount location), chalk up another day-1 mod that would be nice...but NCM probably cannot arrange. To wit, if you ship an assortment of goodies you want on your car when you take delivery (none of which are OEM)--can NCM coordinate this for you?

From my current vantage point, it seems like all of this kind of stuff is much easier to coordinate in the urban area around the actual dealership--rather than at NCM....
Old 03-16-2024, 08:25 AM
Rharfo
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

R8C Monday 18th. 2nd Corvette, first @ museum. Yesterday I registered the car at my local DMV and paid 6% tax. Driving home I realized I just paid tax on a destination, -amusement- experience . Yes it’s only 1495 @ 6% but it irritated me. I think the fee should be paid directly to the museum.
Pennies compared to the price tag but an irritant just the same.
The following users liked this post:
Wife said I could (03-17-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 09:11 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Pendragon
……..
FYI the RC8 fee, the $1495, goes to the museum.. Not GM.
……..
Said from the Mountaintop of Wrong!!! More false information said as fact. The museum gets less than half that option price as told to me by a delivery host. GM and the selling dealer gets over half. Did you know R8C also has an Invoice price as well as MSRP?? Guess who is pocketing that MSRP to Invoice differential?? Not the museum.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:50 AM
Jettcity1
Racer

Received 317 Likes on 128 Posts

I show My R8C decal with pride and the placard on the waterfall only makes it that much better to Me.
To Me, it should add some value as the delivery there does ensure a perfect car, unlike what some dealerships deliver.
At least at NCM delivery, they have taken the extra care and quality and it was prepped by the experts to ensure tier 1 products at all times.
You cannot beat the customer experience you receive at NCM and perhaps this should be worth something .
The following 2 users liked this post by Jettcity1:
GOLD72 (03-16-2024), Rharfo (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 11:58 AM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Jettcity1
I show My R8C decal with pride and the placard on the waterfall only makes it that much better to Me.
To Me, it should add some value as the delivery there does ensure a perfect car, unlike what some dealerships deliver.
At least at NCM delivery, they have taken the extra care and quality and it was prepped by the experts to ensure tier 1 products at all times.
You cannot beat the customer experience you receive at NCM and perhaps this should be worth something .
You still need to look over your car thoroughly. This is from my NCM delivery in November 2022. Had to go back to PDI for removal. Never should have been on Corvette Boulevard in that condition. The first photo I took, which I can’t find, showed all these spots circled in chalk, so PDI and my host should have noticed that. They never could tell me what caused the spots, but they were removed. Said maybe tree sap from sitting outside before/after delivery at the Museum. I doubt this would have escaped QC at the plant, but who knows.

Old 03-16-2024, 01:45 PM
Deer Elk
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GR8C8
Mainly for the experience. No value added to car.
This 100%.

I enjoyed the experience so much that I would do it again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deer Elk:
BLUE1972 (03-18-2024), Rharfo (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 02:18 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 379 Posts

No added value, but the experience is well worth it. Not sure what dealers you guys go to, but delivery at a dealership is a terrible experience. They don't know anything about the cars, they rush through it, the car is never very clean.

At the museum you are a VIP, they go over every feature of the car, get it set up, its perfect, and if its not, they will make it perfect right then and there. And that includes actual repairs... if the headlights are not adjusted right, or if a part needs replaced. You get a private tour of the museum, you get pictures, merchandise, everyone wants to talk to you about your car. Its just a fun experience. Add in track laps and a factory tour. Yes, it costs extra, but not that much.

If I got delivery at a local dealer, it was going to cost $1000 in dealer fees. Ordering from MM, there are no extra fees. If I did a courtesy delivery, there is a fee... also about a grand. At the time museum delivery was also $1000, so I just considered it a wash with a local delivery. I used points for the airfare to Nashville... $75 to rent a car, $120 for a hotel room, we stayed 2 nights. Had some great food, great fun in Bowling Green. We took 3 days to drive back, used points for hotels on the way, more great food and fun. Also it was a shared experience with my wife, which is priceless. Using that same money for mods instead is not the same.

It was simply an amazing experience, I am so glad we did it, and we would do it again even at the current $1500 price. Similarly, going to Ron Fellows is worth the extra expense. Its not "free", I am sure I spent more money going there than to the museum delivery. But the experience is just worth it. To be honest, if i had to choose, I would pick museum delivery over Ron Fellows.
The following 4 users liked this post by mnm4ever:
PaulCPO (03-17-2024), Rharfo (03-16-2024), Tommy Trojan (03-31-2024), Wife said I could (03-17-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 02:53 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by StormTrooper R
I am pretty sure you have to pay extra for the pictures, or if you want them taken as the car is being built.
Yes and yes
Old 03-16-2024, 03:01 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Agreed with the above. No $ value but an experience value. I'm glad I did it. You are treated like a VIP with every employee saying "congratulations" when they see your lanyard. my car was pristine. Shane and his team are fantastic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue Lion:
Old 03-16-2024, 03:12 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blue Lion
Yes and yes
The museum pictures cost extra, but not a lot. Honestly they aren't great, but it was like $25 and kind of cute, fun pics. You can take as many pictures and videos as you want, and there are dozens of people around who are willing to help snap some pics. There are also live feed video cameras on each delivery station so people can watch your delivery from home. I had my son record it for me. We also paid for the custom jackets with our car embroidered on them. Yea, a little cheesy, but I love it. The drive out of the museum, top down, everyone clapping, it was the best part.
The following 2 users liked this post by mnm4ever:
Old 03-16-2024, 08:22 PM
Pendragon
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Said from the Mountaintop of Wrong!!! More false information said as fact. The museum gets less than half that option price as told to me by a delivery host. GM and the selling dealer gets over half. Did you know R8C also has an Invoice price as well as MSRP?? Guess who is pocketing that MSRP to Invoice differential?? Not the museum.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification, but you ok?

Did you pop a coronary with that response?
Old 03-16-2024, 10:45 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
I think if the NCM had on-contract aftermarket shops in the vicinity who could offer things like vinyl/graphics and other day-1 mods that would be nice to have--I'd be more inclined to think about taking delivery there. To my knowledge, the limit of this is basic PPF / ceramic....maybe tint. I'm picky about brand/type of products that are going to go on my car; same reason why dealerships who want to offer this kind of stuff as a "package" are of no interest to me.

Since I also want a body-color aftermarket wing installed (non factory mount location), chalk up another day-1 mod that would be nice...but NCM probably cannot arrange. To wit, if you ship an assortment of goodies you want on your car when you take delivery (none of which are OEM)--can NCM coordinate this for you?

From my current vantage point, it seems like all of this kind of stuff is much easier to coordinate in the urban area around the actual dealership--rather than at NCM....
I think they will install accessories like the wing if you send it there ahead of time. They also contract with a company to do PPF. Not basic PPF but as extensive as you want, Xpel dealer. Pretty sure they will do graphics too. But I didn’t do any of that. I drove the car home and then had my local shops do the work I wanted.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:00 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 586 Posts

My understanding was that no dealer would install aftermarket.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:14 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
My understanding was that no dealer would install aftermarket.
The museum is not a dealership. I know for a fact that they will install aftermarket grill guards. I’m pretty sure they told me they will install aftermarket spoilers too. I’ve also never had too much trouble getting dealerships to install aftermarket accessories either. But I haven’t tried it with Chevy so maybe they are more strict.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:28 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,225 Likes on 2,273 Posts

I have never heard anyone say “man that a waste of money”. Everyone who did it posts it was an amazing experience. As for me I choose to spend the money on additional options which I’m glad I did.

As others have said no body in the right mind would pay more for the car because it was a museum delivery.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 03-17-2024 at 11:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Museum

Old 03-16-2024, 11:41 PM
sshallen
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 332 Posts

I don't think it adds to the value of the vehicle.

The plant tour is fairly ho-hum if you've been in dozens of factories. A ride in the backseat of a van that was well past it's expiration date and a typical factory.

The delivery experience was kind of "meh", a nice lady explaining features I could have figured out and delivering nuggets like "You must ALWAYS put the key fob in the front cupholder every time you start the car or the computer will be confused" and "You should always stop and engage the parking brake before lowering the top or the car could blow over".

I wish I were kidding.

Entire delivery experience was way under an hour. I didn't walk the museum because I'd been there many times.

I did it because I bought from Macmulkin, I live an hour away, and it was a great way to save a 1,000+ drive or shipping, and because NCM is the most experienced Corvette predelivery operation on the planet.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:02 PM
wsrc6
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sshallen
I don't think it adds to the value of the vehicle.

NCM is the most experienced Corvette predelivery operation on the planet.
DITTO

The janitor knows more about a Corvette than some salesman that I have dealt with.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:23 PM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Agreed - The R8C Museum delivery program does not offer "actual" residual value to anyone other than the initial owner. But in an attempt to explain what is actually included in the R8C, here you go:

- Pre-Delivery Inspection and preparation. Car is delivered very clean.
- Any "dealer installed" options ordered with the car (some spoilers, Auto Armor radiator guards or splitter protectors, GM rock guards, etc.) are installed on site at the NCM
(Note: this really is for those items/options ordered with the car. It is not intended for you to bring a bunch of other items not bought through GM and expect to be installed without additional installation fees)
- One year membership for the NCM
- 15% off anything at the Corvette store that day (otherwise 10%)
- VIP tour of the Assembly plant (when available, you get a voucher to use if it's not open at the time)
- VIP tour of the Corvette Museum (you should ask for the actual guided tour guides to get the best experience)
- Unique gold decal placed on the door jamb
- A personalized dash plaque that is placed in the interior, on the waterfall between the seats
- A personalized wall plaque for home
- An individual photograph outside along the mural outside of Victory Lane a personalized wall plaque and an individual photograph in front of the Museum (weather permitting)
- Lunch in the Stingray Grill (I think)

But most importantly, its the 2+ hours of a detailed and "hands on" delivery orientation that the Delivery Host will provide to the new owner. Its like a verbal Owners Manual discussion. It will be, hands down, the best new car delivery experience you will ever have with a new car purchase. You can bring with you up to 3 friends or family for the event. Often, friends take videos on their phones of the delivery host explaining important or potentially confusing things like explain the infotainment screens, drive mode options, etc. for future reminders.

All in all, as stated, it is an unbelievable fun and rewarding experience. Hope this helps shed some additional light on the R8C Delivery program.
The following users liked this post:
Wife said I could (03-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Museum