Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another transmission horror story

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 01:08 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterline
These transmission problems are major. I'm seriously considering getting rid of my C8 out of fear that it will have problems and I too will have to deal with a GM service department. The transmission is the car. It along with the engine is the heart of the car. It's crazy how people accept that the warranty is the answer to American car quality problems.
Any problem that prevents you from driving your car is a serious problem. I'm not minimizing the issue it's just the reality of owning the most advanced Corvette GM has manufactured to date. That comes with accepting the good and the bad. For me I probably just have too many friends with mid-engine sports cars and they deal with this same sort of thing even when their cars cost 3 - 4 - 5X what I paid for my C8. Of course it's not normal but it's also not unusual for these types of cars. The DCT in the C8 cannot be compared in any way shape or form to the transmissions in prior generation Corvettes.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (03-09-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:36 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Everyone with transmission problems that cannot be resolved in 30 days should pursue holding GM's feet to the fire. Not doing this gives them a free pass and little motivation to resolve the problems going forward. FIVE years into production and they are still assembling and selling cars with problems that result in customers with a car that is broken. It's pathetic.
The following 5 users liked this post by rmorin1249:
1959Caroholic (03-07-2024), Elemento Tuning (03-06-2024), hawkgfr (03-07-2024), RKCRLR (03-06-2024), thebishman (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:37 PM
22c8z51
Pro

Received 383 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSKY
The DCT in the C8 cannot be compared in any way shape or form to the transmissions in prior generation Corvettes.
Yep. Those were of minimal (if any) concern, to their owners.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:39 PM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 477 Likes on 286 Posts
Default DCTs are nothing special

Originally Posted by JDSKY
Any problem that prevents you from driving your car is a serious problem. I'm not minimizing the issue it's just the reality of owning the most advanced Corvette GM has manufactured to date. That comes with accepting the good and the bad. For me I probably just have too many friends with mid-engine sports cars and they deal with this same sort of thing even when their cars cost 3 - 4 - 5X what I paid for my C8. Of course it's not normal but it's also not unusual for these types of cars. The DCT in the C8 cannot be compared in any way shape or form to the transmissions in prior generation Corvettes.
SMGs and DCTs have been around for 20 years+. They probably went with a a flawed design (sharing fluid for lubrication+hydraulics) and don't seem eager to correct it.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:50 PM
SneedFeedAndSeed
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Everyone with transmission problems that cannot be resolved in 30 days should pursue holding GM's feet to the fire. Not doing this gives them a free pass and little motivation to resolve the problems going forward. FIVE years into production and they are still assembling and selling cars with problems that result in customers with a car that is broken. It's pathetic.
If anything you're about to see posters come into this thread to tell op to chill out and how the transmission issues are blown way out of proportion and that anyone with problems should be sucking GM off for even being willing to replace theirs.
The following 2 users liked this post by SneedFeedAndSeed:
d16dcoe45 (03-08-2024), Lambda 5 (04-24-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:52 PM
Mt007
Cruising

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I do understand DCTs are new for chevy (I think?) but I agree that 4-5 yrs into it is MORE than ample to time to correct it and take responsibility for those who are dealing with issues...several months ago we were going to get a new porshce cayenne, but the dealer said there was a nat'l 'stop order' on them all due to a substandard issue with some fasternes/bolts....if that can cause them to stop selling them....correct the problem....then resume sales, why cant chevy do same with C8s (understanding trannies are more involved than bolts/fasterners)
The following 4 users liked this post by Mt007:
CorvetteBrent (03-09-2024), Korbek (03-06-2024), rmorin1249 (03-09-2024), TNBatmobile (04-25-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Sledge Hammer
Burning Brakes

Received 369 Likes on 214 Posts

I am questioning the comment about getting it replaced in 10 to 15 days. In another thread, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ssue-club.html , the poster has been trying to get answers since 2/15/24 and was just told they don't know when they will be able to do anything.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:22 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Mt007
I do understand DCTs are new for chevy (I think?) but I agree that 4-5 yrs into it is MORE than ample to time to correct it and take responsibility for those who are dealing with issues...several months ago we were going to get a new porshce cayenne, but the dealer said there was a nat'l 'stop order' on them all due to a substandard issue with some fasternes/bolts....if that can cause them to stop selling them....correct the problem....then resume sales, why cant chevy do same with C8s (understanding trannies are more involved than bolts/fasterners)
It's clear that GM doesn't care. As long as they have customers who want to buy they will continue to sell them. Capitalism at its worst.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:47 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stc8
Sorry to hear about your car issues. What was GM's reason for the no?
Any company would say "no" to a "suggestion" that they buyback the car. You have to go through the formal process and if the requirements are met, you will win.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:52 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,029 Likes on 835 Posts

I do think the DCT issues are FAR more common than they should be. We will never know the real #s or %, but the "squeaky wheel being the loudest" theory only goes so far. The reports of issues with C8 DCTs SURE do seem, anecdotally, to be far more common than other auto brands.

My C8 was flawless for nearly 2 years and nearly 7k miles, BUT I have reservations about buying another. The next time I spend 6 figures on a car, I want it to be a 20-30 year "keeper". Even with an extended powertrain warranty that goes out to 7 or 8 years AFTER the B2B expires by buying it at year 2 month 11, that still leaves me with 10+ years without a warranty. I dont relish a 15k-20k trans replacement (or more as labor costs continue to grow).

Meanwhile there are 10, 15, even 20 year old Euro cars that are on par with, maybe SLIGHTLY less performance than the C8, in the same ballpark price wise if buying used, and I wouldnt hesitate. My SLK55 I have now is 10 years old with no warranty and it doesnt even give me a moment's pause. I'm very comfortable dailying it 10-12k miles a year. And if it DOES break, they will give me a loaner, which cant be said for Chevy customer service at many, if not most, dealers.

The C8 is an amazing car that is hamstrung by worries of an unreliable transmission and lackluster customer service. It's a damn shame bc its the only HTC still being made outside of supercar price range (McLarens) that is particularly desirable. I'd almost buy a Miata but the passenger footwell is microscopic and very awkward for my wife bc of the big hump in it.

I really wish Chevy would get their act together and take ownership of the transmission issues. They need to offer a 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty for a reasonable cost. If the transmission IS reasonably reliable then it would be a money maker just by playing the odds, and would show people they stand behind their DCT design.
The following 5 users liked this post by Korbek:
billclerm (04-24-2024), CorvetteBrent (03-09-2024), Fishfryer527 (03-06-2024), JTBogus (04-24-2024), rkrupka (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 02:55 PM
1stc8
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Any company would say "no" to a "suggestion" that they buyback the car. You have to go through the formal process and if the requirements are met, you will win.
Right. But no company is going to tell you "no" without giving you an explanation, even if it is BS. OP gave GM's explanation later in the thread:

GM senior rep to Mary Barre told be since its this '1 issue, it would 99% be rejected to buy back'...I advised her this '1 issue' is the not a misaligned stich but an prevents the car from being a functional CAR.....
Hurry-up and wait I guess. smh
Old 03-06-2024, 03:04 PM
jrm21
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 50 Posts

2023 C8, NON z51
....QUESTION for forum - I'm worried about reliability of the new transmission ( if that will even FIX the issue to begin with) and is worth it to trade in for a new 2024?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thx
I had a similar situation. At about 5k miles, tranny went. Did the flush, then the valve body, then finally the new transmission. I was told at each stage the parts were on "backorder" and could take up to 2 months to arrive. It all happened much quicker. From start to finish I think it was about 5 or six weeks.

I'm about to hit 18k miles. Knock wood, but the replacement transmission has not had a single problem.

Is it worth it to trade for a 2024? That's a personal decision. You are sure to take a loss on the transaction. And there is no guarantee your 2024 wouldn't have the same transmission problem (unlikely, but not guaranteed). I also thought about a trade or just selling and buying a different car. I'm glad I didn't. YMMV
Old 03-06-2024, 03:48 PM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 477 Likes on 286 Posts
Default I agree

Originally Posted by Korbek
I do think the DCT issues are FAR more common than they should be. We will never know the real #s or %, but the "squeaky wheel being the loudest" theory only goes so far. The reports of issues with C8 DCTs SURE do seem, anecdotally, to be far more common than other auto brands.

My C8 was flawless for nearly 2 years and nearly 7k miles, BUT I have reservations about buying another. The next time I spend 6 figures on a car, I want it to be a 20-30 year "keeper". Even with an extended powertrain warranty that goes out to 7 or 8 years AFTER the B2B expires by buying it at year 2 month 11, that still leaves me with 10+ years without a warranty. I dont relish a 15k-20k trans replacement (or more as labor costs continue to grow).

Meanwhile there are 10, 15, even 20 year old Euro cars that are on par with, maybe SLIGHTLY less performance than the C8, in the same ballpark price wise if buying used, and I wouldnt hesitate. My SLK55 I have now is 10 years old with no warranty and it doesnt even give me a moment's pause. I'm very comfortable dailying it 10-12k miles a year. And if it DOES break, they will give me a loaner, which cant be said for Chevy customer service at many, if not most, dealers.

The C8 is an amazing car that is hamstrung by worries of an unreliable transmission and lackluster customer service. It's a damn shame bc its the only HTC still being made outside of supercar price range (McLarens) that is particularly desirable. I'd almost buy a Miata but the passenger footwell is microscopic and very awkward for my wife bc of the big hump in it.

I really wish Chevy would get their act together and take ownership of the transmission issues. They need to offer a 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty for a reasonable cost. If the transmission IS reasonably reliable then it would be a money maker just by playing the odds, and would show people they stand behind their DCT design.
We don't see any other type of persistent 'my C8 is out of commision' posts. The problem with the DCT failures is that they put the car out of commision. I couldn't care less if something minor failed on the car as long as I could continue driving it. The DCT issues give me pause for taking the C8 on long trips.

Last edited by undecided1965; 03-06-2024 at 04:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by undecided1965:
CorvetteBrent (03-09-2024), Korbek (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 03:48 PM
Fishfryer527
Burning Brakes

Received 1,074 Likes on 491 Posts

These threads freak me out, but, my C8 is definitely going to be out of my life before the warranty is over.
LOLLO_ITALY (03-13-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 04:18 PM
Waterline
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 133 Posts
Default You're not the only one

Originally Posted by Fishfryer527
These threads freak me out, but, my C8 is definitely going to be out of my life before the warranty is over.
I agree with you there. I'm really considering selling mine now. I always have in the back of my mind, that the car is going to let me down while on the road. I just can't shake it... With all of my previous American cars, I have sold them before 5K miles due to quality problems (all GM). I just don't want to deal with a GM service department. I have had very poor service from all but one service department in the past here in the north bay CA area (best is Able Chevrolet). When comparing them to my Toyota vehicles that have never seen the shop for a warranty claim, or any other problem for that matter, it seems to me that the quality and design of American cars is lacking at best. Not just from quality, but design as well. I have about 4500 miles on my 2023 Z51 coupe and I feel I am pushing my luck every time I drive it. I should also note that other than the headlights staying on during the day, (dealer fixed) I have had no problems with my C8. Don't bash me on this one, this has just been my experience and many others have had better luck with American vehicles. As the saying goes: "Once bitten, twice shy". But as far as American and especially GM cars go, it is "three times bitten, and I should know better by now.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:07 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,210 Likes on 601 Posts

There is approximately 3000 Chevrolet dealers in the US vs 200 Porsche dealers as just one compare. That's why service is so hit and miss. Finding good technicians has always been an issue. Finding good technicians in today's market is nearly impossible and why there is such a disparity from dealer to dealer and why some owners will travel hundreds of miles to get to a known good one. Many of Chevy dealers are not even able to service the C8 at all. My suggestion is anyone that needs service should get in touch with their local Corvette club. These guys always know who to take the car to for competent service and who to avoid. That's exactly what I did when I bought my first Vette, a C7, and what I had to do with my C8 as well because the dealer that was competent and very good with my C7 could not or just would not service the C8.
LOLLO_ITALY (03-13-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 05:19 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 22c8z51
Yep. Those were of minimal (if any) concern, to their owners.
C7s had repeated tranny problems. I never had a problem with my '18, but if you look in the C7 section, you will see horror stories. Not just in the Corvette, every car that GM put it in. The famous "triple flush and hold your breathe" solution. The problem with a new transmission of the same kind is you don't know why yours failed, and are looking at the possibility it is an inherent problem, which gives you no protection with the new one. First tranny of its type from GM. However, they should have it sorted out after FIVE years! Sorry for your problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Another transmission horror story

Old 03-06-2024, 05:20 PM
newcastlegreg
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Love old corvettes and still enjoying them. I bought the new c8 as a grand finale to compliment my old one. I really had to push myself to buy an automatic trans sports car. Mine was a 22 and they still Continued to have transmission issues . I have always been suspicious of that gear whine at 55 to 60mph. All seem to have it- just does not sound right. Always reminded me of a conventional car with a howling differential that was not set up properly. Anyway that was one of the big reasons for selling along with some other things….
Old 03-06-2024, 05:23 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,150 Posts

I've been in the hobby since the C5 days. GM DOES NOT fix stuff moving forward!!! Rocking seats on the C5, plastic gears on the pop up headlights, the key issue that killed folks, engine problems on the C6. Overheating on the C7 and trany problems. I don't know why but they just don't care.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:07 PM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I’m not sure the awesomeness of getting a new transmission would be that great to me. Don’t worry about it we are giving you a new transmission that probably has the same problems your old transmission has…..enjoy.

Quick Reply: Another transmission horror story