Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The end of my long buyback saga

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 08:20 AM
Red rag
Burning Brakes

Received 922 Likes on 454 Posts

I’m glad that you’re back! I remember when you went through all the quarantine issues with your first one (must’ve been a lemon from day one). Your new machine looks great with those wheels! I was stationed at CAFB back in the early 90’s and loved it there. Good luck with the 24 and extra glad GM and the dealer treated you right!
Old 03-03-2024, 08:25 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rag
I’m glad that you’re back! I remember when you went through all the quarantine issues with your first one (must’ve been a lemon from day one). Your new machine looks great with those wheels! I was stationed at CAFB back in the early 90’s and loved it there. Good luck with the 24 and extra glad GM and the dealer treated you right!
Yes, my 2023 sat in a QC hold for five weeks with no explanation. I think I now know what the problem was. I think they just released it when the alarm stayed quiet for a few consecutive days.
The following users liked this post:
Red rag (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 11:05 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Congrats on the fixed situation for you
StanNH (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 09:30 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Default Curious

Did they tell you where your 'lemon' would recycle to? Assume it treated like an insurance total loss car? Auctioned with a Salvage Title.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:08 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
Did they tell you where your 'lemon' would recycle to? Assume it treated like an insurance total loss car? Auctioned with a Salvage Title.

Getty ImagesThe lemon law makes automakers buy back defective cars. But what happens to those cars might surprise you–especially if you unknowingly bought one.

Car manufacturers buy back thousands of defective automobiles each year because they are difficult to repair–if they can be repaired at all. Those lemons are then resold by the manufacturers, fixed or not, and are once again on the roads and in repair shops. Many people mistakenly believe that the titles to these cars are always branded as lemons so that future car shoppers would be on notice of what the vehicle’s history was before they made their purchase.

This is quite far from the truth.

All 50 states have lemon laws, creating minimum standards for warranty repairs. If a car or truck cannot be repaired after a certain number of attempts or a particular time frame, then the manufacturer must buy the car back from the consumer or replace it with a non-defective one. While most people focus on the “What happens if you have a lemon and how do you get rid of it?” question, the follow up question I often hear is, “What happens to these cars?”

The answer depends on the state where the car ends up. But they all get resold back to consumers, many who do not know of the vehicles’s history as a lemon.

Vehicles with unusual histories often end up with special titles. In many states, the titles are “branded” to notify owners and prospective buyers that the car has a noteworthy history. Was the car sold for “Salvage” because an insurance company deemed it a total loss? Then the word “Salvage” might be printed in bold letters across the top of the title in a place where no one could miss it.

But how states handle title branding varies widely, as is often the case with state laws. And the place where this is the most apparent is in the area of Lemon Law title branding. Fewer than a third of the states require any form of title branding when a vehicle is repurchased under a state’s lemon law. And since not all states use this brand, a simple transfer of the car to a non-branding state gets the designation removed from the title itself.

It is noteworthy that Carfax and other title-tracking services out there should catch that a vehicle had a branded title in its history. But the few states which brand lemons don’t brand them using the word “lemon.” Instead, they use euphemisms like “Manufacturer Repurchase” or some such, which is not as eye-catching. Many vehicle history reporting companies will gloss over this event, noting that the vehicle was sold at auction by the manufacturer but not to worry, since many vehicles are sold at auction each year.

Further confusing this issue, the reporting companies will often note that the repurchased lemon has no title branding issues–even though it was bought back under the lemon law. The lack of a brand simply means that it was bought back in a non-branding state.

So, never assume that a vehicle with a “clean” unbranded title is not a lemon law buyback. Check its title history and look for anything that suggests the car was owned or sold by the manufacturer after it was sold the first time to a civilian. And, pay attention to any repeated repairs under warranty. If it suffered more than two or three tries for the same thing, it might have been a lemon–and still be one–even if the title is not branded as such.
papillion (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 10:19 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by papillion
GM said it would go to Engineering where they will try to figure out what was causing the alarm to go off. Dealer said, if they are fixed, they go to auction. This was never fixed, so GM is probably right.
papillion (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:09 AM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,436 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
It's finally over … I have a new 2024 C8 HTC replacement for my 2023 C8 HTC.

This started back in December, 2022, when my MacMulkin order was delivered as a courtesy delivery to a dealer in Charleston, SC. While doing the paperwork, the alarm went off in the car. I had the fob in my pocket, so just assumed I had hit the panic alarm by mistake. All was well for a few days, when the alarm went off again. After a few more incidents, I took the car into my local dealer. Ten months later, and after GM sending field techs over, replacing modules, wiring harnesses, and installing monitoring modules, GM finally admitted they could not figure out why my alarm kept going off randomly. So, around mid November, they agreed to start the buyback process.

Since my car was still very new with low mileage, they offered me 105% of the original MSRP. My small, local dealer had no Corvette allocations, but the order was preferenced, so it went 1100 as soon as it was entered. The car arrived at my dealer on 2/5 but that just started another string of paperwork, and I didn’t actually take possession of the car until 2/29. The new car is identical to my 2023 except for the addition of grill guards and different wheels, since my original Trident wheels are no longer available. Taxes, documentation fees, registration and plates were all paid for by GM, so I walked out with zero cost to me.

I now have my new car and am getting used to the new Google interface. It's not as bad as some have described, and it doesn’t take long to get used to it. I have my one month OnStar trial, so the Navigation system is active and seems to work fine. Apple CarPlay also is simple to use, so not convinced I have any real need for a $30-40 a month subscription for something that used to be free.

The new soft close frunk is an improvement, and the new “Nannie’s” seem pretty unobtrusive. The auto dimming headlights I'll reserve judgement on since I haven’t used them on the highway at night yet, and they don’t work at speeds below 25 mph. Another thing I noticed is that the Stealth package waterfall is now really black, rather than the dark gray on my 2023.

And … so far the alarm has not gone off once, a big improvement over the old car. Here's hoping …
Well, let's look on the bright side! You are immortalized now in the history of the C8!
You are the first person to get a lemon-law buy back / GM trade for a new C8 due to an alarm system that would randomly go off.
StanNH (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 11:31 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 277 Likes on 172 Posts

Interesting. I saw a used one on line a while back and the carfax showed it was retitled to GM and I wondered why that would happen.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:39 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

How a manufacturer buyback is titled may also be related to whether the buyback was voluntary or mandated. GM bought my C7 back but it was their offer vs being required by an arbitration/court decision.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:48 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 472 Likes on 283 Posts

I almost had a mercedes lemoned because one of the headlights would go off while driving. Only when I threatened with buyback did the dealer finally fix it. It was the simplest thing and I don't know how incompetent the mechanics are because it took them many attempts to fix. They even replaced the whole headlight assembly and that did not fix it. It turned out that the plug into the assembly was not pushed all the way in, at least that's what they told me.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:20 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dohabandit
Well, let's look on the bright side! You are immortalized now in the history of the C8!
You are the first person to get a lemon-law buy back / GM trade for a new C8 due to an alarm system that would randomly go off.
Also, looking at the positive side of all this, my Corvette model is sitting on a shelf and has never had its alarm go off.

Quick Reply: The end of my long buyback saga