Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joined the transmission issue club :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 08:30 AM
sowega
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 116 Posts

Update: three weeks since Executive Resolutions told me they were reimbursing me for the car payment and I submitted the requested information. You'll all be shocked to hear that I haven't received any communication or payment from them since. I've emailed and left phone messages. ER continues to be the most feckless and maddening part of this situation.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:39 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 183 Posts

Maybe they have 30, 60, or 90 day terms for payment? Or they will just come back and say they reviewed their policies and decided...

But really so far it's really as I expected (and said early in your tale) with post repair being things that are intangible, extra warranty, an extra service or some free fluids...

But the car is fantastic, isn't it?
Old 04-05-2024, 08:47 AM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by EvanD
Maybe they have 30, 60, or 90 day terms for payment? Or they will just come back and say they reviewed their policies and decided...

But really so far it's really as I expected (and said early in your tale) with post repair being things that are intangible, extra warranty, an extra service or some free fluids...

But the car is fantastic, isn't it?
The car has been trouble-free since I picked it up, but I'm still paying psycho attention to every shift and mechanical sound

If they have long payment terms, that's fine - I would have appreciated them saying so and not "send us the information and we'll get you paid ASAP" on the phone.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 10:05 AM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Following this.. my transmission just started acting up. 4700 miles.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:17 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 183 Posts

What is it doing?

Originally Posted by ShanMan14
Following this.. my transmission just started acting up. 4700 miles.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:39 AM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by EvanD
What is it doing?
Shudder/hesitation from a stop and while slowing to a stop. Upshifts vibrate, like a rumble strip. I'm also hearing some noises at low speeds. Shifts are not smooth, not that they were ever very smooth but they're very jerky and abrupt.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:44 AM
sowega
Racer

Shudder/hesitation from a stop and while slowing to a stop. Upshifts vibrate, like a rumble strip. I'm also hearing some noises at low speeds. Shifts are not smooth, not that they were ever very smooth but they're very jerky and abrupt.
I'd say get it diagnosed by a dealer ASAP - if it needs a valve body or DCT, you'll hopefully get on the order/wait list while it's still driveable.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:49 AM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by sowega
I'd say get it diagnosed by a dealer ASAP - if it needs a valve body or DCT, you'll hopefully get on the order/wait list while it's still driveable.
I've already talked to them this morning, just waiting to hear back on a loaner so I can head up there.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:15 AM
rkrupka
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by sowega
The car has been trouble-free since I picked it up, but I'm still paying psycho attention to every shift and mechanical sound

If they have long payment terms, that's fine - I would have appreciated them saying so and not "send us the information and we'll get you paid ASAP" on the phone.
I feel for your experiences.
One of the most concerning questions remains...if a large amount of these issues do not exist, why would the response be so ineffective?
Old 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
sowega
Racer

I've already talked to them this morning, just waiting to hear back on a loaner so I can head up there.
Based on my experience and a few other guys, you may get stuck with a Malibu or something, but, if you make a little noise, they'll upgrade you to a Camaro.
Old 04-05-2024, 11:30 AM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by rkrupka
I feel for your experiences.
One of the most concerning questions remains...if a large amount of these issues do not exist, why would the response be so ineffective?
DISCLAIMER: This is just my conclusion based on a bunch of conversations with people at various levels of GM and my work as an experience exec.

I think that GM's size and franchise model makes them overly-reliant on processes that take care of 70% of their customers with no real problems. When they have a problem that is outside the normal process, very VERY few employees are empowered to work outside that process, so, when a customer talks to someone about this issue, GM's most common reply is some variation of "that's not our process, so just sit and wait until we can make your situation work for our process."

Ideally, you want to focus on the customer first and process second, but they are slavishly devoted to the process and seem unbothered by how it looks/feels for the customer. I'm told that there's a lot of culture change and training coming with regard to Corvette owner experience specifically, but who knows when it will happen or when we'll see or feel the results thereof.

FWIW, I can't wait for something to happen in my current situation to prove me wrong, but this is how I see it.
BearZ06 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 03:14 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

My daughter had to take her 2021 Tahoe to a dealer this week because her oil light came on right after she had the oil changed. My dealer told her it would be two weeks before they could even look at it. She bought it from a dealer that’s owned by the family of a guy she went to school with so she called them. They told her that they were 3-4 days out. That was four days ago and they haven’t touched it.

My son-in-law owns two Matco Tool routes. He’s not surprised. He visits dealers and shops every day that are in the same situation because of techs not coming to work or quitting to go elsewhere. I’m sure many of you have noticed that in restaurants. It’s an epidemic of lazy entitlement.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fast Dawg:
01Defense (04-06-2024), BearZ06 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 03:28 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 367 Posts

So dam true!!!
hit the nail on the head.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:26 PM
sowega
Racer

While I don’t doubt there are lazy, slow, and/or unmotivated techs out there, all my delays were due to parts availability. While I can blame the service department for damaging the car, it was GM’s fault that they had it for 5 weeks.
Fast Dawg (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 01:19 PM
formulaWA
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

Surprisingly GM does have a transmission on the most reliable transmission list.

Best Transmissions

Now if GM would just sub contract to Toyota
Waterline (04-07-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 10:26 AM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by formulaWA
Surprisingly GM does have a transmission on the most reliable transmission list.

Best Transmissions

Now if GM would just sub contract to Toyota
I think the prevailing opinion is that they went Tremec for cost reasons; keeping the MSRP low appears to have been a priority during the design phase, and this feels like a compromise in that direction.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:58 AM
sowega
Racer

Update: Got a call from Executive Resolutions saying that, due to me moving forward with the regional service manager's plan of action, they're stepping down from the case. I did my best not to laugh when they said that, should I ever need anything, they'd be available. I know it's basically a call center operation and their options are incredibly limited, but I was honestly stunned at how they found new ways to be unhelpful every time I talked to them. The absolute pinnacle of client dissatisfaction - that takes a lot of commitment

Get notified of new replies

To Joined the transmission issue club :(

Old 04-12-2024, 12:38 PM
Mitchell_B
Burning Brakes

Received 590 Likes on 306 Posts

This is the issue. Others argue you have a warranty and the number of trans issues are very small. No one knows the statistics, but the issue really is that when this happens, GM does not resolve the problem in an acceptable manner. This after buying their expensive flagship sports car. Much greater effort needs to be put into adequately addressing major warranty issues like a failed transmission. GM acts as if you being inconvenienced and without your car for extended periods of time is no big deal to them. Not to mention all the time and effort contacting the many parties within GM trying to find answers on your own. GM needs to put a team in charge of streamlining this entire pricess.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mitchell_B:
RKCRLR (04-12-2024), rmorin1249 (04-12-2024), robob (04-20-2024), sowega (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 12:50 PM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by Mitchell_B
This is the issue. Others argue you have a warranty and the number of trans issues are very small. No one knows the statistics, but the issue really is that when this happens, GM does not resolve the problem in an acceptable manner. This after buying their expensive flagship sports car. Much greater effort needs to be put into adequately addressing major warranty issues like a failed transmission. GM acts as if you being inconvenienced and without your car for extended periods of time is no big deal to them. Not to mention all the time and effort contacting the many parties within GM trying to find answers on your own. GM needs to put a team in charge of streamlining this entire pricess.
I don't think you need a team; one person with the right clearance for decisions and directions could sort out most of it.

If I was 1% less invested in what I do every day, I'd assemble all my notes into a case study, send it with my resume and a note that says, "Give me a bunch of $ and the freedom to fix this for you, and it will be cheaper, easier, and have better optics for everybody involved."

And maybe a demo ZR1, haha
Old 04-12-2024, 12:59 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by sowega;1607710911[b
]I don't think you need a team; one person with the right clearance for decisions and directions could sort out most of it.[/b]

If I was 1% less invested in what I do every day, I'd assemble all my notes into a case study, send it with my resume and a note that says, "Give me a bunch of $ and the freedom to fix this for you, and it will be cheaper, easier, and have better optics for everybody involved."

And maybe a demo ZR1, haha
Completely agree here.

A team is just what you DON'T want...and probably what you have now...or maybe even several "teams"

You need ONE PERSON...with AUTHORITY....
robob (04-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Joined the transmission issue club :(