Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joined the transmission issue club :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 09:37 AM
sowega
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 114 Posts

Update: took the car out for 30-40 minutes yesterday. My biggest takeaway is that I'd forgotten how it drives/sounds/feels/etc, so it was hard to tell if there was any difference in how it shifted and ran before the issues. A month in a base Camaro ruined me, haha.

Between traffic, the pervasive smell of engine oil, and 4-5 gallons of tire shine on the tires (and most of the treads), I didn't push it at all, but did use all the drive modes except weather and did a few runs through the gears with manual shifting. I need to clean up the oil in the engine bay and scrub the tires before I give it the beans.

I have to point out that the thing I've repeated in this thread so many times is still true: the C8 is a fantastic car.

If Executive Resolutions or the regional rep know I've picked up the car, they haven't felt the need to to follow up with me. I emailed the regional guy yesterday, asking for a call back, but haven't heard from anyone. Cross-function communication at GM appears to be a real problem area.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:49 PM
sowega
Racer

Update: Received a phone call from Executive Resolutions regarding "compensation."

For some reason, I was expecting a conversation, but what I received was an offer of 4 years of component coverage on the transaxle and reimbursement of one car payment. When I brought up insurance, satellite radio, etc, they stopped me and said that the component letter and car payment reimbursement was their final offer. I related my experience with the condition of the car at pickup and GM's general dismissiveness at every level, but it fell on deaf ears. If anything, I've learned that trying to have a conversation outside of Executive Resolution's script or process goes nowhere, so I'll save my concerns for the regional rep- I'll follow up after I talk to him.

TLDR: If they keep your car for a month, they'll reimburse a single car payment (subject to verification). Don't try to negotiate with Executive Resolutions; they don't understand the difference between "can't" and "won't."
Old 03-15-2024, 04:11 PM
Pettrix
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sowega
Update: Received a phone call from Executive Resolutions regarding "compensation."

For some reason, I was expecting a conversation, but what I received was an offer of 4 years of component coverage on the transaxle and reimbursement of one car payment. When I brought up insurance, satellite radio, etc, they stopped me and said that the component letter and car payment reimbursement was their final offer. I related my experience with the condition of the car at pickup and GM's general dismissiveness at every level, but it fell on deaf ears. If anything, I've learned that trying to have a conversation outside of Executive Resolution's script or process goes nowhere, so I'll save my concerns for the regional rep- I'll follow up after I talk to him.

TLDR: If they keep your car for a month, they'll reimburse a single car payment (subject to verification). Don't try to negotiate with Executive Resolutions; they don't understand the difference between "can't" and "won't."
I'm sure GM has it nailed down since the DCT replacement is somewhat commonplace. The operator probably has zero wiggle room on what they can offer. The warranty replacement is costing GM a lot of money so they have to reduce their losses.

Hopefully the car has no other issues and you get years of enjoyment out of it...
Old 03-15-2024, 04:20 PM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by Pettrix
The warranty replacement is costing GM a lot of money so they have to reduce their losses.
You'll have to forgive me for not considering GM's losses in this matter, haha
Old 03-15-2024, 04:26 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 266 Likes on 168 Posts

That's actually about what I would have expected at most, some additional warranty and maybe some follow up maintenance. The months car payment about equals the follow up maintenance. It does sound fair, certainly better than "we fixed your car, have a nice day"...
Old 03-15-2024, 05:00 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,187 Likes on 3,394 Posts

What do they mean 4 years of component coverage on the transaxle? If it is 4 years of warranty does it run concurrently with the remainder of the powertrain warranty or start when the powertrain warranty ends?
Old 03-15-2024, 05:11 PM
sowega
Racer

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
What do they mean 4 years of component coverage on the transaxle? If it is 4 years of warranty does it run concurrently with the remainder of the powertrain warranty or start when the powertrain warranty ends?
4 years, starting yesterday with a mileage limit that I didn't write down.

Old 03-15-2024, 05:16 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

4 years, starting yesterday with a mileage limit that I didn't write down.
You didn't say when your '22 was first put into service but that is only a year or so more than you would get with your powertrain warranty if they didn't give you anything.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:29 PM
sowega
Racer

You didn't say when your '22 was first put into service but that is only a year or so more than you would get with your powertrain warranty if they didn't give you anything.
Correct. It's why I'm a little underwhelmed by the offer.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:54 PM
sowega
Racer

Update: Just had a great call with the regional service manager. He's doubled down on taking care of me & making sure I'm in a Corvette, and we're going to talk more when I get back in country.

It's crazy how pessimistic I feel when I talk to Executive Resolutions and how optimistic I am after I talk to him. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-15-2024, 06:28 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Isn't the factory warranty 5 yrs and 60k miles?
Old 03-15-2024, 06:39 PM
BasicMember
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Lexus here I come.

Worked for GM many years purchased more new cars and trucks from them than I care to count. This one just doesn't smell right.
The following 2 users liked this post by BasicMember:
1959Caroholic (03-24-2024), rmorin1249 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 06:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Update: Just had a great call with the regional service manager. He's doubled down on taking care of me & making sure I'm in a Corvette, and we're going to talk more when I get back in country.

It's crazy how pessimistic I feel when I talk to Executive Resolutions and how optimistic I am after I talk to him. Fingers crossed!
Depending on their internal reputation, a regional rep in just about any co can have a lot of sway and good reputation. I learned about that at one of my first jobs. Not all want to go higher but if they have that inclination, having friends in high AND low places is a big plus.
The following users liked this post:
sowega (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:30 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Isn't the factory warranty 5 yrs and 60k miles?
The powertrain warranty is 5/60k. The B2B warranty is 3/36k
Old 03-15-2024, 08:07 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by BasicMember
Lexus here I come.

Worked for GM many years purchased more new cars and trucks from them than I care to count. This one just doesn't smell right.
I hear you. I'm in an SL for now. Can't get up the courage to go for a C8. Sure wish GM had used ZF for the tranny.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:13 PM
sowega
Racer

I hear you. I'm in an SL for now. Can't get up the courage to go for a C8. Sure wish GM had used ZF for the tranny.
except for a very few of us, the C8 has been trouble free. I wouldn’t let my experience scare you away from the car- it’s great.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:49 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

We all know why they didn't, the bean counters strike again. You would think after a class action lawsuit over the 8 speed automatic in the C7, they would have made double sure they would not have problems with the C8 trans.

I know the production quantities are very different, but the Tremec DCT is also in the GT500 Mustang and I know a lot of people in that world beating the crap out of 500s with no trans issues. Wonder where the difference is, besides the C8 is trans axle combo?

Last edited by GlennSullivan; 03-16-2024 at 09:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Joined the transmission issue club :(

Old 03-16-2024, 09:01 AM
rkrupka
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 173 Posts

except for a very few of us, the C8 has been trouble free. I wouldn’t let my experience scare you away from the car- it’s great.
I am sure this is true - but its not just the odds of getting a problem with the DCT. It is how you will be treated if you should need to go thru these problems.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:02 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 613 Likes on 360 Posts

The difference is that maybe this is being blown out of proportion?
The more I research into this the more I think it.
This issue with the dct and if it actually needs replaced is about as common as any other automobile that’s manufactured.
Soooo many post also about this problem and what they think about it from people that never had an issue and or DONT even own a c8! (A lot of previous generation owners)
The real issue I really see is part availability.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 09:12 AM
rkrupka
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary barnes 1098
The difference is that maybe this is being blown out of proportion?
The more I research into this the more I think it.
This issue with the dct and if it actually needs replaced is about as common as any other automobile that’s manufactured.
Soooo many post also about this problem and what they think about it from people that never had an issue and or DONT even own a c8! (A lot of previous generation owners)
The real issue I really see is part availability.
No matter how many cars are affected the real issue would be a lot different if this happened in the first conversations:
- hello Mr X, we are sorry to tell you that the codes on your car require us to replace your transmission
- we will need to hold your car in service for up to 6 weeks awaiting the correct parts
- you qualify for a loaner car and will have it today
- we will update you weekly as to when to expect your car back
- your warrantee period will be extended for the time in the shop for repairs
- additionally we will add 18 months on the end of the warrantee for your troubles and concerns
- we here at Chevy appreciate your business and are very sorry for this inconvenience please reach out to us at (this number) if you have any other questions
The following 2 users liked this post by rkrupka:
RKCRLR (03-16-2024), sowega (03-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Joined the transmission issue club :(