Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else going NO PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 09:46 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 253 Posts

I had posted yesterday that a lot depended on where you live, a lot of states have no dirt and stones like we do in az, Its literally like driving behind a sand blaster here. I went to my buddy's house last night and we were chatting and he had his 2020 Audi S7 in the driveway and I was looking at his hood, no PPF and his entire front hood, bumper and grill had well over 1000 white dots and pits all over it. His car is dark grey. Hés the kind of guy, that doesn't bother him but it's the first thing my eye goes to, no way I could have a car looking like that. If you don't have PPF on the front of your car in AZ, your paint WILL look bad in short order. $1k is a very cheap and easy way to prevent this, we are not talking the occasional little nick here and there you can touch up, the entire front of your car is affected. I envy those who are in places that don't have to worry about this as much but its just different here.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:49 AM
Slare
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

I started doing it on my cars using pre-cut kits and have gotten good enough at it to be satisfied. Complicated parts like our front bumper are tough, I usually end up with some rough spots but have been able to keep them on the bottom edge where they are not really visible while standing up. This puts your cost around $500 which I'm ok with. I understand the struggle around paying ~$4-5k and don't think I would do that if it was my only option.

I've done 5 or 6 different front end installs now and helped a couple buddies as well. 2 ok people definitely makes the job easier. If I did nothing else on the C8 I would still do at least the headlights..

The problem here in Michigan is we have everything. Tons of trucks and debris on dirty highways, bug season, salt season, bird **** season. With a little bit of bad luck your front end can get trashed in one drive.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:16 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 513 Likes on 273 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by jplake
It's cheaper to just get the bumper repainted if it gets that bad.
How much does it cost to repaint the front bumper cover and how often would you have to have it done? It has to be at least $1200, right? That's about the same cost as a front end PPF job.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7Me:
MikeinAZ (02-16-2024), switchlanez (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 03:07 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolegs
There are plenty of threads inquiring about whether or not PPF should be done - but I am strongly considering raw ******* it and not getting any PPF installed, and Dr. Colorchipping along the way as needed. Anyone else not have PPF that can share their experiences? I got my first mini battle scar on my arctic white 2024 C8 and I'm not sure how to feel about it, especially since the possibility of denting/tearing through Xpel can apparently happen. It looks like a little dent on the front fascia clear coat if that makes any sense. Anyways, penny for your thoughts?
I just installed boat bumpers all around my car, with lots of reflectors.
Old 02-16-2024, 05:49 PM
Revmanii
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

No PPF here. Struggling with a decision to do Ceramic at close to $2k for car and wheels.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:32 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Revmanii
No PPF here. Struggling with a decision to do Ceramic at close to $2k for car and wheels.
Do it yourself, less than $100 for 8 yr coverage. Thx
Old 02-16-2024, 07:00 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,501 Likes on 751 Posts

No PPF here On My 2023 C8 Z51 !!!
Old 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
edsterC8
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told you need ceramic coat to install PPF. Also that PPF costs a pretty penny to remove as well

I was considering it but ended up changing my mind. Think I would stick with Dr. Colorchip or do certain areas. I think it bubbles around the racing stripes...

Someone mentioned DIY ceramic. I had mine done at the dealership? What's involved in DIY?
Old 02-16-2024, 09:46 PM
65sohc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
I didn't bother on my C7 (sold @ 60k miles) or C8 (currently at 19k miles), and don't regret it one bit. I've been down that road before and it's more hassle and expense than it's worth. For $65, I absolutely love Dr. ColorChip and have been quite impressed with it.
Interesting. I have tried Dr. Colorchip on 3 or 4 different cars and it never looked good.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:05 PM
22c8z51
Pro

Received 390 Likes on 200 Posts

waste of money, as is paying someone to do ceramic. that said, i need to go into the ceramic business, because it seems very easy to separate some from their money.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:07 PM
TD20
Burning Brakes

Received 1,216 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolegs
There are plenty of threads inquiring about whether or not PPF should be done - but I am strongly considering raw ******* it and not getting any PPF installed, and Dr. Colorchipping along the way as needed. Anyone else not have PPF that can share their experiences? I got my first mini battle scar on my arctic white 2024 C8 and I'm not sure how to feel about it, especially since the possibility of denting/tearing through Xpel can apparently happen. It looks like a little dent on the front fascia clear coat if that makes any sense. Anyways, penny for your thoughts?
i have no ppf… i have like 2 little tiny chips on my hood. 11500 miles now. All good.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:24 PM
Triple Black 88
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

It's not a matter of if... its when.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:44 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,291 Likes on 3,508 Posts

Never needed it; never had it...never will.
The following users liked this post:
22c8z51 (02-16-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 01:32 AM
carron
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jayse45
Had the Xpel track package installed so I can drive it for the winter. Very glad I did. Covers the full front and rockers. Well worth it due to loose gravel everywhere on the roads. The rear panel under side intakes take an absolute beating.
curious how much you paid and what part of the country?
Old 02-17-2024, 01:39 AM
Zormecteon
Drifting

Received 1,395 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by edsterC8
What's involved in DIY?
While doing your own ceramic is easier than paste waxing a car, .. even easier than using liquid wax, as getting either in places is doesn't belong can make it hard to clean up, while ceramic goes on EVEYTHING, .. paint, glass, trim, it's all good, the most important part is the preparation...

Wash
Dry
Clay
Paint Correction. .. This is the time consuming part and requires either a bunch of elbow grease and/or a random orbital polisher. ALL the scratches, halos, and imperfections need to be polished out. ... Actually this step is NOT NECESSARY. But if you apply ceramic over the scratches, there they will remain, visible.
Clean ----- off the polish with a cleaning solution
Apply the Coating
Buff off.. (easier than removing wax!)

So a seven step process.......

One nice thing is that you can do a section at a time if you desire. .. Do a fender, have a beer, take a nap, . do a door, come back tomorrow...

As mentioned above, you CAN take a short cut, .. .Wash and dry the car, clay it and then apply the coating. .. The car will still shine and be protected. If using this approach I would use Griot's 3 in 1 ceramic coating. ... but that's just me. .. Another easy easy product is The Last Coat.
NFI

Old 02-17-2024, 01:48 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,983 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I don't have it. I just polished the car, and was surprised how good the car looked. I am careful not to tailgate.

Quick Reply: Anyone else going NO PPF?