Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan running after engine off

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 12:13 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,789 Likes on 2,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Zormecteon
The sensor must be in the block, not the radiator. . The fans run but they aren't cooling the water that is setting off the sensor. Since they are electric fans, they operate whether or not the engine is running. Any time this happens, restarting the car moves the coolant from the radiator to block, the sensors read that and shut off the fans.
The sensor is on the airbox, measuring the temperature inside the engine bay.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:17 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YO-EL
On C7's afterblow had to be programmed if you wanted it on. Default was off.
Is this now automatic on C8's?
Different fans. I believe the afterblow you're referring to is in regards to the HVAC system to prevent mildew/mold from forming on the AC condensor in humid climates.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 02:13 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Fan runon after ignition off is a function controlled by the ECU and it uses ECT to determine how long the fans run after ign off. It has nothing to do with outside ambient air temps, but has to do with the coolant temp at the time of engine shutdown.

Here is a representative ECU data table which is very common among all manufacturers I know of:

Old 02-01-2024, 02:22 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Fan runon after ignition off is a function controlled by the ECU and it uses ECT to determine how long the fans run after ign off. It has nothing to do with outside ambient air temps, but has to do with the coolant temp at the time of engine shutdown.

Here is a representative ECU data table which is very common among all manufacturers I know of:
We aren't talking about the front radiator fans, we are discussion the engine bay cooling fan. Separate things. The engine bay cooling fan in based in ambient air temp inside the engine bay (on the lower backside of the airbox, to be exact).
Old 02-01-2024, 03:03 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 155 Posts

I have only made the fans run after shut down twice. The 1st time was because I was a little aggressive with the go peddle before I got home. Fan was running in the garage when I shut down. I was wondering why it went on because it never did anytime in the 1st 20K miles. So the next day I went out and did the same drive and got the same results. So that's the 2 times in the 35K miles I have had the car. Also never launched it yet. Maybe when I wear down this set of tires.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:17 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Good thread, thanks. I had wondered about this as it's only happened once for me. Not hot enough for the AC in any of my runs and my house is a decent distance from the main road. It was weird though-never had a car do this.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:20 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,207 Likes on 3,407 Posts

Do a spirited drive on a mountain road and the fans will run when you park, even in the winter.
The following users liked this post:
SMOKN C8 (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 03:41 PM
LeJerk
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
...I did just do a launch control about 3 minutes before getting home and parking the car.
Yo, you need to read the manual about the break in period! It doesn't even want you to go over a certain RPM range, let alone full launches.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:04 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by F-16 ED
You launched at 150 miles?? Don't think GM will like that if you need serious warranty work.
Fan operation is normal. Worked that way on my 21 and 24.
Reread post.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:09 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LeJerk
Yo, you need to read the manual about the break in period! It doesn't even want you to go over a certain RPM range, let alone full launches.
As clearly stated above, I bought the car used with 5500 miles on it. I know better!!
Old 02-01-2024, 06:55 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

I am new owner of a used C8. (Only 150 miles of C8 experience) Just got home from a ride and when I pulled in the garage and shut the engine off, I heard fans running (quite loudly) on both sides towards the rear end of the car. I'm not sure why that would have been necessary. The outside temperature is only 64 degrees here in Florida. I did just do a launch control about 3 minutes before getting home and parking the car. Other than that, was an easy drive and no excessive heat or load on the car. Is that normal to have cooling fans run after shutting off the car? None of my other Corvettes have ever done that.
Originally Posted by MarkMeHopeful
I've seen others report the same thing and the answer is always that this is perfectly normal and they all do it. I have the reverse question. I live in SoCal and after two very hot summers I have still never had my fans stay on after shutting off the car. When I pull into the garage I can hear them running full speed but whan I push the button to shut off the engine the fans shut off too. Is there something wrong with my car? (It also never seems to run over 190 degrees). Z51.

Anyone explain @Kwagnerhvac experience and mine?
Yep, from my observation with 3 1/2 years in my 2020 Z51, MRC I saw fans come on often with engine coolant and DCT Fluid @ 180F (sold it ~2 months ago with E-Ray at 3400 TPW 2/12/2024) but I have a somewhat unique driving situation. I don't think it is engine coolant dependent more how the DCT is used. I'll explain:

The rural road we live on is off a 4-lane divided highway with often heavy traffic in both directions going ~70 mph. Coming back home on another rural road I accelerate to merge with traffic. So, they do not have to slow for me when I turn into our 25-mph limit road after accelerating aggressively in Z-Mode Power set to Track, I apply the brakes aggressively just before the turn. Car is typically in 5th and downshifts 2 or more gears to 3rd in the blink of an eye, rev matching each. Fun and great sound. After that aggressive stop I have a 2-mile drive on a narrow twisty road to my home usually at ~30/35 mph. When I Pull into the garage the rear fans run for 5 minutes to cool the engine compartment. All C8s have the large fan on the driver's side. The Z51 has another behind the coolant rad in the passenger side. Non Z51 have a similar fan without rad.

Bottom Line: OP using Launch Control and you driving to easy is the reason. Appears from my experience, pushing the DCT as using Launch Control or in my case using Z-Mode and applying the brakes very aggressively causing the DCT to downshift 2 or 3 gears rev match each, all in the brink of an eye, tells the computer controlling those fans, this dude may be Tracking or driving aggressively best keep the DCT cool! Try driving more aggressively and may have your fans come on as well!

Large fan on all C8s on driver's side. Removed engine compartment heat as engine DCT dissipate their ~180F.

My Z51 had a rad with puller fan behind in the passenger rear fender scoop. Non Z51 just have fan.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-02-2024 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:58 AM
Didier9
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts

I am new owner of a used C8. (Only 150 miles of C8 experience) Just got home from a ride and when I pulled in the garage and shut the engine off, I heard fans running (quite loudly) on both sides towards the rear end of the car. I'm not sure why that would have been necessary. The outside temperature is only 64 degrees here in Florida. I did just do a launch control about 3 minutes before getting home and parking the car. Other than that, was an easy drive and no excessive heat or load on the car. Is that normal to have cooling fans run after shutting off the car? None of my other Corvettes have ever done that.
That happens every time I have fun on my way home... I believe it's related. You probably had fun on your way home, perfectly normal
Old 02-02-2024, 10:52 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,519 Likes on 788 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The time I notice it the most is after long idling in park, which makes sense. Turns on fans and fans don't turn off until engine cools. I agree with above that this tells me the sensor is on the block rather than in the coolant. The block will cool much slower than non-circulating water.
Old 02-04-2024, 06:04 PM
BobDVC8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 8 Posts

Normal Kev
Old 02-04-2024, 08:50 PM
Joynt
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

I live in Kentucky and have had the C8 for about 3.5 years and 30k miles. We get heat index in the 100+ and single digit temps. I have driven in all of those conditions. The fans come on after spirited driving or acceleration and it depends on outside temps for sure. Nothing to worry about. You hear them in the scoops as you are exiting and they go off after a few minutes.

Quick Reply: Fan running after engine off