Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette Turo Rental Car Stolen to Owner’s Horror

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 07:06 PM
MKC8
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
It's insane to rent your personal car. Real key is if he never informed his insurance company it is being rented, he may be screwed. If you don't properly disclose the use, they don't have to pay the claim.
I was approached by a "neighbor" (whom we've never met, they just live around the corner from us) about renting our motorhome last year.
Since it cost more than my C8, the first thing I did was check with the insurer, and no, I cannot rent it. It would not be covered if anything happened.
We didn't want to rent it to friends, let alone strangers, anyway, so this gave us extra reasons to politely say, "no, sorry".
Old 01-23-2024, 07:49 PM
DrewK769
Racer

Received 335 Likes on 144 Posts

When you rent your vehicle through Turo, Turo provides insurance coverage. That’s part of their charge, and also part of the whole value proposition of using them. You essentially could not do this on your own with personal insurance. There is no such product.

Now, my guess is that you get regular ACV as a valuation, which may not be enough to get a replacement vehicle. There is inherent risk in almost everything.

I think if you do it the right way, with the right mix of cars, and you manage your fleet well. You could probably do pretty well with Turo. This is especially true with skyrocketing personal insurance costs driving renters to only rent vehicles when they need them.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:14 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Some Turo renters don't do it as a 'business', but because they bought a car they cannot afford. I'd be curious if Turo paid that guy, and how much. But it's scary to rely on them to insure such an expensive vehicle; no way I'd do that... nor buy a car I can't afford to pay. But to each his own, of course. Seeing new Corvettes on crappy apartment buildings is nothing new to me.
The following users liked this post:
MKC8 (01-23-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 10:03 AM
ericok
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 70 Posts

Police won't investigate a Turo theft. Their justification is that it wasn't stolen, you gave the thief your car. Similar thing happened to a guy that was renting out expensive camera equipment. It was never returned. He knew the location and who took it but cops wouldn't investigate for the same reason.
MKC8 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 10:25 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,517 Likes on 786 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by ericok
Police won't investigate a Turo theft. Their justification is that it wasn't stolen, you gave the thief your car. Similar thing happened to a guy that was renting out expensive camera equipment. It was never returned. He knew the location and who took it but cops wouldn't investigate for the same reason.
This is absolutely true. This happened to my uncle who owned a car dealership. He had a guy come in years ago to test drive an RX7. The guy left the lot, picked up a buddy and joy rode it all day until he totaled the car. My uncle prosecuted for car theft. When the got to court, the first thing the judge asked was "did you give this man the keys?". When he answered yes, the case was thrown out. The judge stated the car was not stolen, if you voluntarily turn over the keys to a person. He had no recourse on any level, including making the guyvpay for damages.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:22 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,517 Likes on 786 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

This is absolutely true. This happened to my uncle who owned a car dealership. He had a guy come in years ago to test drive an RX7. The guy left the lot, picked up a buddy and joy rode it all day until he totaled the car. My uncle prosecuted for car theft. When the got to court, the first thing the judge asked was "did you give this man the keys?". When he answered yes, the case was thrown out. The judge stated the car was not stolen, if you voluntarily turn over the keys to a person. He had no recourse on any level, including making the guy pay for damages.
MKC8 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:59 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,561 Likes on 4,280 Posts

Originally Posted by MKC8
I was approached by a "neighbor" (whom we've never met, they just live around the corner from us) about renting our motorhome last year.
Since it cost more than my C8, the first thing I did was check with the insurer, and no, I cannot rent it. It would not be covered if anything happened.
We didn't want to rent it to friends, let alone strangers, anyway, so this gave us extra reasons to politely say, "no, sorry".
Not suggesting you should, but if you rent out a motorhome through a service, that service provides insurance, just like Turo does for its owner's cars.
MKC8 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 02:00 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,928 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I was talking to a Hertz manager, and he said periodically they rent cars to people who never bring them back. Sometimes they find the car and "repossess" it with their spare keys. The car is usually trashed by then though.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:22 AM
evanescent03
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
…The guy left the lot, picked up a buddy and joy rode it all day until he totaled the car… He had no recourse on any level, including making the guyvpay for damages.
Wild. If not theft, is it a breach of contract? So weird that dealerships aren’t protected better lol. maybe have a contract saying that if you keep it, you’ll owe $XX.XX/day until it’s returned.

I know a guy who rents his cars through Turo. He has a C7 SR that the CF roof was stolen from
but Turo replaced it for him. He seems to be happy with the performance of his venture but as mentioned above … you gotta disconnect any emotional attachment at all and consider it a business piece, not a personal car you care about. I don’t like using valet, even with our Yukon, so I don’t think Turo is for me lol!
Old 01-25-2024, 09:51 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

After reading through this thread, I'm thinking about the unfortunate person who buys one of these Turo cars after the owner parts with it. Buying a ex-rental is not a bad idea unless it's a high performance sports car. Problem is, I don't think the fact that it was a rental shows up on CarFax.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:09 AM
One Vettey Boi
Burning Brakes

Received 481 Likes on 232 Posts

I don’t think it’s so much of a “you gave them the keys” vs cops just don’t follow up on auto theft. At least here in NJ they don’t because most car theft is gang related and so it’s not worth it to the cops - they just let insurance handle it. Our neighbor lost all their cars one morning when their daughter went for a jog at 6am and didn’t lock the door behind her (we lived in a very suburban, upscale neighborhood at the time and no one really ever locked doors. I would just walk into my friends house and help myself to a soda and then walk up to his room to play Xbox for hours type of deal). Anyways, a few moments later 3 guys walked into the house, grabbed the keys off the key rack, one guy pissed in the bushes and then they stole their cars. Porsche 911, BMW SUV (idk the model), and a jeep grand wagoneer. The daughter saw all the cars leaving (as she hadnt even made it out of the neighborhood yet), one guy flipped her off and they drove off. She immediately called home/police and the cars were not even 4mi away (all being tracked real time by our family friend who owned them) and cops legit just said it’s an insurance issue. Its mostly gangs from Newark area and it’s not worth them getting into a chase or shootout over. And the cars weren’t even on the parkway yet. Roll th clock forward to that evening and they were already on a ship in Newark Port to go overseas to be sold.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:43 PM
MKC8
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
Not suggesting you should, but if you rent out a motorhome through a service, that service provides insurance, just like Turo does for its owner's cars.
Third party insured or not, we have no plans to rent it. Or the Wrangler, or the C8. Or the house.
Too many AirBNB and VRBO horror stories about how their property was used and abused by renters.
I just don't think the risk is worth the reward, whatever that might be,
smithers (01-25-2024)

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette Turo Rental Car Stolen to Owner’s Horror