Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max Unimpeded Mode ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 10:59 AM
tdzee
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Max Unimpeded Mode ?

Been studying this overly complicated vehicle for several months of ownership and have concluded that there may not be any mode, or combination of modes, for which a driver's input is totally unimpeded and not interceded by one, or more, computers. Been cycling thru "wow events" (oh wow, it can really do that?) and "bummer events" (the computer is always in the way, when do I get to control this thing?) This bugs me A LOT. I recognize as a retired engineer that computers can achieve a level of performance that mere humans likely can not match. But it bugs me that EVERY input on EVERY system I give to the vehicle is countermanded and substituted with its own choice.

Can anyone tell me what mode, or combination of modes, will unleash the full power of the engine (track mode alone does not provide full power) and allow all driver inputs to be followed (regardless of their outcome) and just "let me drive"?

Thx T
Old 01-08-2024, 11:05 AM
1stc8
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 54 Posts

Track or Z-Mode with Performance Track Management enabled and set to Race 2 is the closest you'll get to unimpeded driving experience. This is assuming you have a Z51 equipped with MSRC.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1stc8:
RKCRLR (01-08-2024), tdzee (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 11:09 AM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 647 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by tdzee
what mode, or combination of modes, will... allow all driver inputs to be followed (regardless of their outcome)
It doesn't exist on any modern car. They are 'drive by wire' today. Many inputs (steering, throttle, brakes) are not directly connected to anything but a computer.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:52 PM
tdzee
Intermediate

While it is true that most/all cars are moving to electrical sensor input devices (from older electro-mechanical devices), my issue is with the internal computers altering how it interprets my inputs on the fly and adjust systems based on selected modes and resulting alteration algorithms rather than my input. Presumably intended for my "safety", better performance, better emissions, or whatever (answer is "better for me" than the one I asked for). This phenomenon creates a feeling of "isolation" when driving this vehicle, for me anyway. Was abt to sell some of my older cars, but am now reconsidering.

Thx 1stc8 for input re modes. Will try that when we get a warm day. Yes, I do have a Z51 with MSRC.
The following users liked this post:
1stc8 (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 12:58 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,203 Likes on 3,404 Posts

While it is true that most/all cars are moving to electrical sensor input devices (from older electro-mechanical devices), my issue is with the internal computers altering how it interprets my inputs on the fly and adjust systems based on selected modes and resulting alteration algorithms rather than my input. Presumably intended for my "safety", better performance, better emissions, or whatever (answer is "better for me" than the one I asked for). This phenomenon creates a feeling of "isolation" when driving this vehicle, for me anyway. Was abt to sell some of my older cars, but am now reconsidering.

Thx 1stc8 for input re modes. Will try that when we get a warm day. Yes, I do have a Z51 with MSRC.
You're not going to get there with a C8 (and most modern cars). The C8 gas pedal isn't doesn't even have a cable/linkage to the engine, it is all electronic.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:10 PM
tdzee
Intermediate

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Its not about electrical sensors. As I noted above, yes all cars have them. Its about what they do with those inputs.

I'll try driving with those modes and see how I like it. Thx

Last edited by tdzee; 01-08-2024 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 287 Likes on 127 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by 1stc8
Track or Z-Mode with Performance Track Management enabled and set to Race 2 is the closest you'll get to unimpeded driving experience. This is assuming you have a Z51 equipped with MSRC.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:22 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,567 Likes on 4,284 Posts

I doubt the sense of isolation you feel is because the computer "nannies" are intervening. On the street, it's very hard to reach the limits where the traction control or stabilitrak kick in (except in a standing start, full throttle, where they'll minimize wheelspin). I think what you're encountering is simply that the electric power steering and e-boost brakes simply don't provide the same level of feedback that purely mechanical systems can. Also, the very slow throttle tip-in tends to make the car seem a big sluggish when accelerating from a stop or low speeds. A Soler (or other brand) throttle controller can help markedly with that.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:32 PM
brocco
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts

It’s finally become a reality !

Old 01-08-2024, 01:39 PM
24RiptideBlue
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 247 Posts

Been studying this overly complicated vehicle for several months of ownership and have concluded that there may not be any mode, or combination of modes, for which a driver's input is totally unimpeded and not interceded by one, or more, computers. Been cycling thru "wow events" (oh wow, it can really do that?) and "bummer events" (the computer is always in the way, when do I get to control this thing?) This bugs me A LOT. I recognize as a retired engineer that computers can achieve a level of performance that mere humans likely can not match. But it bugs me that EVERY input on EVERY system I give to the vehicle is countermanded and substituted with its own choice.

Can anyone tell me what mode, or combination of modes, will unleash the full power of the engine (track mode alone does not provide full power) and allow all driver inputs to be followed (regardless of their outcome) and just "let me drive"?

Thx T
I think the second post is pretty accurate… Track mode (chosen on its own or through Z mode) with “Race” in the PTM.

I hear your concerns, as the C8 is an experiment for me. If the car lets me drive as fast as I want and gives me power when I ask for it I’m ok with it. If I feel like it’s restricting power and won’t let me “rotate” the rear end using the gas pedal to control direction as well as the steering wheel I probably won’t have it long term.

I always wanted a mid engine super car. The C8 is all that AND it has a warranty 😁! The “systems” are definitely overkill and the I despise the “connectivity”. When I learned to drive people bought sports cars to disconnect. gm wants everyone to be connected so they can take your data and make the customer pay subscription fees 🙄.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:16 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

Thx T
Tadge once touched around the topic with a similar Q about the C7. He concluded it with "That’s a long way of saying you can shut off TCS, PTM, ESC and active rev match, but you can’t shut off MR, eLSD or ABS."

Here is the piece... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590303998

Possiby what you want is an ol' Viper with no nannies...
The following 2 users liked this post by ZMMMMM:
JTBogus (01-11-2024), RKCRLR (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 03:29 PM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 847 Likes on 365 Posts

no worries remember SKYnet is watching
Old 01-08-2024, 07:42 PM
tdzee
Intermediate

They'll always be watching.......but do you want them driving for you?
Old 01-08-2024, 07:43 PM
tdzee
Intermediate

MODS: Pls close thread. Thx
Old 01-08-2024, 10:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,436 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Closed at OP request.

Get notified of new replies

To Max Unimpeded Mode ?

Quick Reply: Max Unimpeded Mode ?